Review: 'Sweep' by Jonathan Auxier


I've actually been wanting to read this book for a...year? Or so? I love Peter Nimble and Sophie Quire, and I was really excited for this one. But although we had a copy in the house, which my mom bought right after it came out, she read it, and then hid it for some reason, and it was only last week that I ferreted it out. And it was definitely worth the wait! It is MG, but of the best kind, so definitely worth reading for someone of any age. Everyone in my family who has read it, including my mom, has really enjoyed it.

It's been five years since the Sweep disappeared. Orphaned and alone, Nan Sparrow had no other choice but to work for a ruthless chimney sweep named Wilkie Crudd. She spends her days sweeping out chimneys. The job is dangerous and thankless, but with her wits and will, Nan has managed to beat the deadly odds time and time again.
 
When Nan gets stuck in a chimney fire, she fears the end has come. Instead, she wakes to find herself unharmed in an abandoned attic. And she is not alone. Huddled in the corner is a mysterious creature—a golem—made from soot and ash.
 
Sweep is the story of a girl and her monster. Together, these two outcasts carve out a new life—saving each other in the process. Lyrically told by one of today's most powerful storytellers, Sweep is a heartrending adventure about the everlasting gifts of friendship and wonder.

Worldbuilding/Writing Style
1800s London! But with magic! Well, sort of. Anyway, I thought the worldbuilding was really well done, and I enjoyed reading about life "on the rooftops", especially in the flashback scenes. I thought that Auxier did a really good job incorporating the flashbacks--sometimes things like that irritate me, but I actually looked forward to them in this book. His writing style is understated but quite clever, and easy/fun reading. The discussion of golems was really interesting as well--even though I have a fair bit of Jewish heritage, and have been to Prague, I'd never familiarized myself with that part of the lore.

Plot/Story
I love stories with talking monster sidekicks (The Girl Who Could Not Dream, for one) and this one did not disappoint. Charlie and Nan *heart eyes*. I loved their dynamic, and the way that Nan felt the need to constantly take care of her caretaker! The flashbacks with The Sweep were so sweet--for some reason, single fathers really tug at my heart strings. I also really loved the theme of self-sacrificial love. And the ending...*cries*. I honestly had no problems at all with the plot, besides the quibble that it got a teensy bit flat in the middle.

Characters
Nan: I really liked Nan! She's spunky but not in a "I am a strong girl and I don't need you" way, necessarily, but honestly in a bit of a vulnerable way. And the banter between her and Toby...ah, I love it. 
Charlie: Oh, Charlie. I love his way of stating the obvious, his style of talking, and his love for...basically everything. His vulnerability is sooooo sweet. 
Toby: Toby is hilarious! As I mentioned, his banter with Nan is fantastic, and I love his Emporium, his charm, and the way he knows all the best spots in London!

Romance
*Highlight for spoilers* A very light attraction between Nan and Toby which basically consists of him showing her all his favorite places. I really appreciated the way Auxier doesn't over-romanticize this pair of what, 12 year olds? But they're going to be sooooo cute when they get older. *End spoilers*

Content
Some child abuse (master sweeps in the 1800s were not the kindest), death, serious injuries, and a bunch of super claustrophobic scenes, if that kind of thing bothers you. 

Overall Rating
4 stars! This book was really sweet and fun and slightly heartbreaking, and I will definitely be reading it again one of these days. 

Have you read anything by Jonathan Auxier? Who's your favorite MG author?

Comments

  1. Cool! Apparently historical fantasy is becoming a more popular genre, which I am 100% here for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres.

      Delete
  2. Awesome interview! I'm really enjoying finding more historical fantasy lately, so I'll have to check this one out.

    Out of curiosity and totally selfishly, do you ever take review requests? I have a middle-grade fantasy that just came out, so I figured I'd ask :) can't hurt to ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think you'd enjoy it--and some of your older kiddos might, too.

      Well, no one has ever asked me before, but I would be happy to do a review of Echo--I'm sure you could tell by my extremely enthusiastic comment on your blog that I enjoyed it. 😊 The review would probably be published July 13, if that will work for you!

      Delete
    2. :) That would be great!

      And... erm... I just put two-and-two together and realized that YOU are the Samantha who's been leaving me such lovely comments! LOL (Also I just realized that I typed "interview" instead of "review" in my previous comment... and... I think these are signs that either I'm getting old or I'm super stressed... or possibly some combination of both! Hah!)

      Delete
    3. Wonderful! I look forward to reviewing (or interviewing? 😉) it.

      Yep, that's me! (And it's definitely only a sign that you're super stressed. 😊)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!