Good, Better, Best: Summer Books

Today's Good, Better, Best is going to be focused on summer books--but not the kind of summer books everyone thinks about, the fluffy by-the-pool books, or the books set in summer, or the happy books...I could continue. But with any book, I tend to categorize it into a season, whether that's the season it's set in, one that it reminds me of, or another random reason (for instance: Harry Potter is a summer/fall book because I read it for the first time in summer, but it reminds me of Fall. The Secret Garden is a spring book). So, these are the books off of my "favorites" shelf that I always think of as summer books.

Good

The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene du Bois
Okay, I know, I know, starting off with MG. But this book is so fun! A man, a balloon platform, a volcanic island with oodles of diamonds! Families named after letters, who represent countries! Weird technology! I'm pretty sure there was one summer where I read almost exclusively this book, believe it or not. 

Under the Egg by Laura Marx Fitzgerald
This book is like National Treasure meets Chasing Vermeer! Art, heists, connections to history--what's not to love? I also really like the tiny farm in the main character's backyard, and her good taste in music. :) It's a really fun romp through NYC during the middle of summer (this is literally the only time I'm willing to go to NYC in the middle of summer. XD). The plot may be a tad weak in places, but nothing that disturbs my enjoyment overmuch. 

Once Upon a Toad by Heather Vogel Frederick 
This book, by the author of The Mother-Daughter Book Club is a retelling of the fairy tale "Frogs and Diamonds" (I think that's what it's called?) and a must read for any fans of fairytale retellings! Also, there's road trips. And the Pacific Northwest. And adorable younger siblings. So. Much. Fun. 

A Traveler in Time by Alison Uttley 
This one is a strange one that a friend gifted to me a couple of years ago. The premise is that there's a girl who keeps traveling back in time to the period of Mary Queen of Scots's imprisonment, to a household of people who are trying to free her. The book is mysterious, lovely, and there's a lot of musical references worked in as well, which I loved! 

Better

Ever by Gail Carson Levine 
This is one of my favorite books by Gail Carson Levine (second to Ella Enchanted, of course). It's inspired by the story of Jephthah in the Bible, but set in a pseudo-Babylonian civilization. One of the characters is a "god" and the other is a human. I though it was really well done, and have read it a number of times--most notably, on the way to the state fair, which is probably why I think of it as a summer book...

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Patterson
Katherine Paterson is amazing. And so is this book. (I could just leave it at that, but I'll give you a bit more, because I'm a nice blogger, in general). This is a fantastic book for anyone who has ever struggled with sibling relationships or tried to find their place in the world. This book was my first experience with an unreliable narrator, which was super interesting, and while the main character comes to so incorrect theological conclusions (see: unreliable narrator), I'm sure it's nothing you can't handle. And the aestheticnessssssssssss.

The Black Stallion by Walter Farley 
This is an old and rather obscure horse story that I LOVED, especially when I was younger. It was the book I took on my first backpacking trip, and I have read my (very, very battered) paperback copy at least ten times. It's one of the only horse stories I've read that's a boy and his horse, as well, so that is a bonus. (Maybe? I feel like the girl-and-her-horse thing is overworked). 

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
How do I love this book? Let me count the ways: The sibling relationships. The farm. The friendships. The rabbits. Hound. The realism of girls growing up. The everything. This is one of the books my family just loves. 

Best

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
This book is one of my very favorites, and it makes me really sad that many people only know about the movie. The movie is fun, but the book is better. There's angst, sarcasm, hints that you'll only understand after the book is over, green slime, weed killer, fantastic romance, and just <3. This book is one of my very favorites. 

Okay For Now by Gary D. Schmidt
Gary D. Schmidt is a FANTASTIC middle grade author whose books adults can enjoy as well...they're deep, deep books. My favorite of this series is the first one, The Wednesday Wars, but Okay For Now is also great--focused on one of the secondary characters from Wednesday Wars, it's a coming-of-age story set in a small NY town, with snarky characters and a fantastic library.

Helena by Evelyn Waugh
This one was a gift to me from Frodo (who still hasn't finished it--Frodo, if you're reading this, GO READ IT!). It's literally the story of St. Helena, retold, of course, since we don't know all the details. It's not very long, but every section is riveting, it's paced really well, and aaaah the sarcasm. Love.

Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry 
Before you get mad at me--it's actually a really good book! Marguerite Henry is an excellent writer, and this is a fascinating true story! The characters are riveting, the stakes are high, and the (true!) ending is beautiful. Ever since I read this one (when I was probably six or seven?) I've wanted to go to Chincoteague, but have never gotten there yet...


Have you read any of these books? What is your favorite modern fairytale retelling? Are there any books you associate with particular seasons?

Comments

  1. I totally think of books with seasons (usually in the season that I read it even if it was in winter and the book is sweet in summer. XD)! Of these I've read The Penderwicks (perfect summer vibes!) and Howl's Moving Castle (the movie was my introduction, but I love both). Actually, both of those are two of the rare books that I've reread. I started Ever a few years ago, but it was really weird to me and I didn't make it far. You think it's worth it, though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one! Both Penderwicks and Howl's are amazing, aren't they? Ever does start strangely, but I enjoyed it the last time I read it, which was a while ago (time for a reread...) so I can't say for sure whether if you started out thinking it was weird it would be worth it to finish it, if that complicated and convoluted sentence makes sense. XD

      Delete
  2. MISTY OF CHINCOTEAGUE!!!! I WAS OBSESSED AS A KID. I still have my stuffed horse named Misty. xD I went to Assoteague once and saw wild horses and it was INCREDIBLE.

    Also Howl's Moving Castle *sobs* *forever* I've actually been meaning to watch the movie for a long time but the BOOOOOOK

    And so cool to see someone else who knows 21 Balloons!

    Great list! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! When I played with my cousin when we were 6 or 7, I would always make him be Paul, and I would be Maurine. XD Fond memories.

      *joins you in sobbing*. The couple-who-I-will-not-name-because-spoilers is 100% my OTP forever. (The movie is fun, but you have to mentally separate it from the book, because they are nothing alike)

      Oh hey, you know that one too?

      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Hello, I literally just stumbled into your blog! Love it!! I have never really placed books into seasons, but it's a kinda fun idea. Oh yes, someone else who has read Black Stallion!! That was one of my favorite series growning up!! I actually just read it aloud to someone recently. Okay For Now is such a wonderful book! The characters really develop and after listening to the audio last year, it is a book I recommend to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you! Black Stallion is SUCH a fun series, and Okay For Now is also excellent! Ooh, I've never tried the audio version--I bet that would be a lot of fun!
      Nice to 'meet' you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!