A Tolkien Blog Party: Christ Figures in Lord of the Rings


Hurrah! It's finally time for Rachel's Tolkien Blog Party! (The button above contains a link, if you want to go check it out. 😉) I'm going to do the absolutely fabulous and very, very difficult tag on Friday, but today, we're starting with a post on the numerous Christ figures in LOTR! 

*Warning: This should be obvious, but this post contains spoilers for The Lord of the Rings.*

One of the things I noticed as I was reading LOTR for the first time this past winter was the proliferation of Christ figures. But was I right to see all these Christ figures? After all, after it was published, Tolkien said:

"As for any inner meaning or "message," it has in the intention of the author none. It is neither allegorical nor topical....I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence." 

And my favorite:

“An enquirer (among many) asked what the L.R. was all about, and whether it was an ‘allegory’. And I said it was an effort to create a situation in which a common greeting would be elen sila lumenn’ omentielmo, and that the phrase long antedated the book. I never heard any more.” 

But he also says:

"[LOTR] is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision...the religious element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism." 

So on the one hand, we have the claim that it is neither allegorical nor topical, and on the other, that there is religiosity and symbolism in the story. What to think? Perhaps a third quote will clear things up:

“I have no didactic purpose, and no allegorical intent. (I do not like allegory (properly so called: most readers appear to confuse it with significance or applicability) but that is a matter too long to deal with here.)” 

It seems that Tolkien, in denying "allegory" was denying it in the sense of Pilgrim's Progress, and those who asked if LOTR was a retelling of WWII. However, he acknowledges that there is Catholic symbolism in the book, so it is not erroneous to look for Catholic symbolism, including Christ figures!

Quick note: My thoughts in this post (which has been sitting in my drafts for quite awhile, waiting for Tolkien Week!) were formed as and after I read LOTR and numerous biographies of Tolkien. Afterwards, I read Joseph Pearce's Frodo's Journey, which contains (and distills!) a lot of the things I noticed, so while most, if not all, ideas in this post are mine, I may reference Joseph Pearce where he distilled things better than I did. 



Animated GIF

Frodo
First of all, Frodo as Christ figure. After reading the book, I knew that Frodo had to be a Christ figure--after all, what is the journey through Mordor, if not a sort of Passion? But I wasn't quite sure how else than having a "Passion" Frodo lined up with Christ.

But one of the striking ideas that Joseph Pearce puts forward is the One Ring represents sin--the power the dark lord has over the ones who carry it, the corrupting power of it, etc. 

In this sense, on one level, Frodo can be seen as the one who carries 'sin' and destroys it, and through it, its master, making an obvious parallel between him and Jesus, Who destroyed sin on the Cross, and thereby destroyed death. 

One interesting point related to Frodo as Christ figure, is that he and the ring leave Imladris on the 25th of December (the day on which Jesus was born, and thus began His journey towards the cross), and the ring is destroyed on March 25th, the traditional historic date of the Crucifixion. 

Interestingly, Tolkien, who, through the dates makes it obvious that Frodo is a Christ figure, says in one of his letters “No, Frodo ‘failed’. It is possible that once the ring was destroyed he had little recollection of the last scene. But one must face the fact: the power of Evil in the world is not finally resistible by incarnate creatures, however ‘good’; and the Writer of the Story is not one of us.” 

Looking at this quote, it's possible to observe that on another level, if the ring is seen as a symbol of sin, Frodo can be seen as simply an Everyman who takes up his particular cross of sin, as Christ commanded. This theory leads into my next Christ figure character. 


Animated GIF

Sam
Sam, while he very briefly carries the ring for Frodo while he's captured by the orcs, primarily carries Frodo. But he carries Frodo who carries the ring. In this capacity, as the one who carries the one who carries the burden of sin, or the one who carries the sins of others, he, more truly than Frodo, may be seen as a figure of Jesus, Who took our sins upon Himself during His passion. (This also, for better or worse, reminds me of that saccharine "Footprints in the Sand" poem. XD)


Animated GIF

Aragorn
While both Sam and Frodo are Christ figures in the persona of Suffering Servant, Aragorn represents Jesus's identity as King. Aragorn is the long-expected king, the heir of Isildur, in a similar way to how Jesus is the heir of David ("He shall sit on the thrown of David, his father"). 

One of my favorite Aragorn/Jesus parallels happens in the Houses of Healing, where the old woman (whose name I'm regrettably blanking on) repeats that "The hands of the king are the hands of a healer", and indeed, Aragorn's hands do heal Eowyn and Merry. This, quite obviously, parallels Jesus's many healings during His ministry. 

Additionally, Aragorn, like Jesus, only comes into his kingdom as king after the defeat of evil. 
Besides his role as King, Aragorn also is the only one of the four major Christ figures to embody (sort of) "Priest". He listens to Boromir's dying confessions, and tells him to "Be at Peace", a symbolic absolution (or as much as it can be, in a fantasy world without the Church!)


Animated GIF

Gandalf
Gandalf's role as Christ figure is perhaps more obvious than Aragorn's, given that he actually gives himself for his friends (so they can escape), and rises more powerful and "brighter" than before. 

His predictions about Gollum (that he will have his part to play in the story before the end) show him as conveying the "prophet" part of Christ's role, as well. Tolkien knew that the parallels were obvious, and noted, in Letter 181: 

“Thus Gandalf faced and suffered death; and came back or was sent back, as he says, with enhanced power. But though one may be in this reminded of the Gospels, it is not really the same thing at all. The Incarnation of God is an infinitely greater thing than anything I would dare to write.” 


The Lord of the Rings, unlike Narnia, does not have only one Christ figure. So, Tolkien is right when he asserts that his story is not an allegory. It cannot be, since in reality, there is only one Christ! However, the "bigness" of God is emphasized in Tolkien's use of more than one Christ figure, since one single non-divine character (i.e. not Aslan) cannot symbolize the whole reality of Jesus. One of the emphases of LOTR is the necessity of everyone to follow Christ, to almost be a Christ figure for others. Another emphasis is the way no one can truly be a Christ figure except Christ--each Christ figure contains one or two 'parts' of Christ's role (as Priest, Prophet, King, and Suffering Servant), but not the entirety. 

Can you think of any other Christ figures in LOTR? How's the blog party going for you? Have you ever used elen sila lumenn’ omentielmo in real life? 


Comments

  1. Yes yes yes!! I LOVE thinking about all this and you summed it up so beautifully. (If you're interested, I posted character studies on Frodo and Faramir for last year's party, which you might enjoy.) I'm currently working on pulling together a post on Galadriel, Eowyn and Arwen so've also been delving deep into Tolkien's view of allegory etc to make sure I'm getting it right, so definitely recognized the quotes you shared. ;D Thanks for writing this up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll have to go check those character studies out...and I look forward to a Galadriel, Eowyn, Arwen post! Tolkien's view of allegory is interesting, and for sure worth delving into. :) You're welcome! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I just came back to read this again and love (well, the whole thing), but especially how you summed it up. So so good.

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad you like it! It was a lot of fun to write. I went and read your character studies, too, and loved those! :)

      Delete
  2. Very fascinating inputs and I can see where you're going with it. There are many ways to interpret Tolkein's work, as you have laid out here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was interesting! Tolkien is a rich writer, who definitely encourages more than one interpretation.

      Delete
  3. I'll admit, I was disappointed by the "lack of allegories" when I read LotR. I had heard so many people talk about how many were there and I just couldn't seen any. Of course, I am not that good with subtleties, XD I prefer something obvious like The Chronicles of Narnia (which is my favorite series of all time!). I like how you talked about J. R. R. Tolkien not wanting it to be an allegory, because he said he couldn't create an equal character to Christ. I didn't know that! Reading this post I kept saying to myself, "Whoa! How did I not see this!?" This post has successfully made me appreciate LotR about 100x more than I did before! Which is saying something because I already really enjoy it. Comparing Sam with that poem "Footprints in the Sand" is just YES!!! <3 Fantastic post all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! I have felt that feeling before--if I remember correctly, it took me probably two or three weeks of processing before the thoughts that led to this post gelled.

      I love Narnia, too! But it's definitely the opposite of LOTR in terms of allegorical-ness. (Tolkien was not impressed xD) But I think both points-of-view have merit: having a perfect Christ character in order for us to see Him (which is, of course, hard to pull off, and I see why Tolkien didn't think he could do it--I sure couldn't have!), or having several obviously imperfect Christ characters to show us how we can be like Christ, too.

      I'm so, so glad the post has made you appreciate LOTR more! That part of your comment made my day!


      Delete
  4. Wow, you pointed out some cool things here! ^.^ I enjoyed your thoughts even though I can get a little *cough*annoyed when people go off about Christ figures and deep meanings in LOTR. Not because I don't think there are deep meanings - several of his characters have beautiful significance to me with these things you've pointed out, their small parallels to Christ - not so much Christ-figures as Christian-figures in my opinion, in that Christians are to be "little Christs," bearers of His image, occasionally appearing just like Him, as the characters do. And that about Sam! I'd never thought of that before. That's so lovely.

    Oh oh, I once heard a talk about that "the hands of a king" line which was really good - comparing athelas in Aragorn's hands to us in God's hands, as His instruments or something? I forget what the metaphor was exactly, I'll have to look up my notes, but it was great.

    ALSO. Regarding Frodo's failure, have you ever seen this video? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ftxu6P_HOQ
    I just thought of it because of what you said about Frodo failing and Tolkien's views on that and...yeah. It's a really interesting video, in my opinion.
    (This was kind of off topic, I guess. Oops.)

    You know, this isn't really related, but reading all these quotes makes me think...Tolkien's humility was admirable. Really. He just sounds so humble and it makes me love him.

    Great post, Samantha! Gave me stuff to think about, which I always love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you thought so! I also get irritating when people talk about deep and obscure meanings in LOTR...partially because of one horrifying essay...but I think there are good things to say about some of the significances! I do really love the way he does his Christ figures, not as the whole of Christ, but as "little Christs" for sure. I was SO happy when the thought occurred to me about Sam! Ilhsm, and realizing he was a "little Christ" figure made it that much better.

      Oh, that's so true! We're all athelas!

      I have not, but I shall plan to watch it! (About to go eat breakfast, but it'll happen!) It looks good and interesting, and yes. It's another pointer towards the "little Christs" point of view, I think. (No worries--off topic is not an issue. :D)

      I know, he was such a lovely guy! Makes me wish I lived in England in the mid-20th century. (Because obviously that would guarantee me meeting him. XD)

      Thank you! I'm so glad you liked it!

      Delete
  5. "The Incarnation of God is an infinitely greater thing than anything I would dare to write." <<< Ok. That's my new favorite Tolkien quote.

    Wow.

    Fantastic post, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's SUCH a good quote! He was such a good Catholic writer. <3 Love that guy.

      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  6. Great post.
    Wow, that quote is amazing. Tolkien seems like he would have been a cool person to know.
    And I can totally see it, now that you've pointed it out.
    Ah, Sam. He's just such a great character. And such a great friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Tolkien was such a great guy--I really wish I could have met him!
      Yes, Sam is so amazing!

      Delete
  7. I read somewhere (possibly in Finding God in the Lord of the Rings?) that Tolkien really gives us the three roles of Christ in LOTR as three distinct characters. Christ came to be our prophet, priest, and king. Gandalf is a prophet, foretelling some things and seeing things that are about to happen. Frodo is the priest, carrying the world's sins to the altar (but, like an Old Testament priest, not destroying them, simply laying them there to be destroyed, unlike Christ, who did the destroying). And Aragorn is the king.

    I don't know if Tolkien deliberately separated out the representations that way, or if it intuitively and organically happened because this idea of Christ's three roles was so ingrained in him. Either way, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I like that idea! It's similar to what I'm seeing, although simplified. I especially like the bit about Frodo being like an Old Testament priest--that totally makes sense!

      It would have been so nice to be able to ask Tolkien about things like this! But maybe in Heaven. :)

      Delete
  8. Fine review of a lovely topic. Not sure I can add any others. The elves do come to mind. I wouldn't call any of them Christ figures or even Christian figures. But their wisdom and serenity remind me just a little of Christ. Still, the differences are great. Not least of which, they leave Middle Earth and do not embrace mortality (except Arwen), which is so unlike the Incarnation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate your approbation. The elves are wise in a very ethereal way, but as rereading the Silmarillion has reminded me, they are very different from Christ. They are also, as you noted, yes, very different from the Incarnation.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!