Chicks!

Look, I know it's review day, but we have chicks, and I know that's really what you all would rather hear about anyway. We only have baby animals on the farm two or three times a year, so skipping review days won't get to be a habit, I promise! 

They arrived on Friday, in the mail, which is always fun--the postal people don't really know what to do with us! Maybe we should order a box of bees next. The chicks technically belong to Eomer, which has led to a bit of conflict around who can hold them and when...

They're staying in this little brooder in the corner of the library, which has horrible lighting, so even when they're being cute, I can't take pictures of them.

Unless, of course, I take them out.

This is the Easter Egger, Zecush. Zecush is the word for "Bunny" in one of the languages of The Queen's Thief. 

(She's SO FLUFFY I'M GONNA DIE!)

Here's Princess Mango Cream Cheese Meringue Magnifique, a white Plymouth Rock.

(Yes. She poses. A lot.)

This is the Hamburg, Ingenuity, called "Gen" or "Ina" for short, also from The Queen's Thief. She delights in waking the other chicks up and/or jumping on them. 

(So innocent. Not.)

Here's Hespira, the Dominique (see if you can guess where we got the name "Hespira" from...). It probably says a lot about her personality that this is the best picture I got of her. 

(I mean, she sleeps a lot. This was her trying to lie down.)

So, so, so. While they're little and cute and fluffy still, we tried a couple of fun posing-chicks-with-household-objects, none of which turned our really well, but still cute.

(Yes, in our house, rabbits are household objects.)

(Also books.)

(This one cracks me up--Frost has NO idea what she's gotten herself into)

Just for fun...

Overall Rating 
4.5 stars! Cute, but pooped on my hand multiple times.

Reminded me of...
Ducklings! (Which are even cuter, but don't tell Eomer that). And also baby goats! (Which we should have this spring!)

Have you ever had chicks? Was this more fun that a book review? Have I convinced you to read The Queen's Thief yet? (If I haven't...just wait until Friday.)





Comments

  1. AGGHHHH DA BABIES GIMME LEMME HOLD.

    Ahem. I really. Really like chickens.

    (I actually prefer them when they're grown up? Which I feel like might be unusual. But there are just so many beautiful breeds and they have such glossy feathers and oh me I miss my 4H Old English game bantams.)

    All their names. XD And the photoshoot. So adorable.

    (I must agree...ducklings are even cuter. Which is saying a lot.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WOULD IF I COULD! But unfortunately, you don't live here. :)

      They're pretty cool. Not my favorite animal (that would be goats!) but still awesome.
      I prefer them as babies, because they're more cuddle-able, but I can't WAIT for their feathers to come in so we can see what they'll look like...so I get liking adults better, too. You did 4H? That's so cool!

      I know. XD

      (It is definitely saying a lot! But there's just something about those tiny bills...)

      Delete
  2. HOW CUTE!! I love them and their names. And while I do love your book reviews, I also loved this post!

    I always loved the looks on the postal workers faces when my family went to pick up chicks, though they slowly started getting used to the fact that there were indeed chicks in their back room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Rest assured there will be a review sort of post on Friday, and more baby animals when they arrive. :)

      I know, isn't it funny? They really don't know what's going on. :) Probably if we got chicks on a more regular basis, they'd get used to it, but so far, it's only every three years or so.

      Delete
  3. Very cute and the pictures are good despite having trouble getting them to pose. I have NOT read "The Queen's Thief" (who's it by?) but I might have to look into it. I have such a huge TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Queen's Thief series is by Megan Whalen Turner--the first book is simply called "The Thief".

      Delete
  4. I've never had chicks, but I've spent hours at a friend's house who had them, so I have some experience. ;) They are so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really fun to spend time with! They are, aren't they! :)

      Delete
  5. "So, so, so." I understood that reference!

    Ahem.

    They are so cute oh my gosh. I want to hold them. It hasn't been that long since we had chicks and I already miss them!! And their names!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It was just for you. :) (And my own satisfaction...but I knew you'd be the only one who got it).

      I know, they're already growing up and getting feathers, and I miss the fluffball-ness! I'm glad you like the names, too!

      Delete
  6. OH MY GOSH, THOSE CHICKS ARE SOOOOOO CUTE. AAAHHH!
    I've never had baby chicks, but our neighbors did. My sister is thinking of getting baby goats, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW THEY TOTALLY ARE
      Ooh, that's cool! We actually have goats, too, and will hopefully have babies again this spring. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!