Jem Jones Linkup: Quirk #4

 

Wow, this Quirk came out raw. Especially for something I initially had no ideas for. When Legolas read it, she was immediately like "Is this because x thing is happening in your life?" And while a few of the elements in this Quirk come from my life, I PROMISE I don't usually climb on cars, and I have NOT just gotten bad medical news. As an explanatory note: in my life, I've adopted the Portuguese custom of calling Confirmation sponsors godparents as well, which bled into this story. Anyway: here goes the Quirk!

The hood of the car is cold--I haven't driven it in a week, and it's late. I lean back against the windshield, and flip open the map, staring uncomprehendingly at the symbols--lines of roads, the blue of lakes and rivers. I let go of the edges and allow it to fall to my lap. I close my eyes. I can never go anywhere now, and this map is simply a reminder of all I have lost. I feel, rather than see or hear, the body that slides of up on the hood next to me. A familiar puff of perfume wraps around me. The person now sitting next to me puts her arm around my shoulder. Without opening my eyes, I lean in.
"You didn't have to come," I mutter. "It's cold. And far."
She pulls me close and kisses the top of my head. "I don't mind the cold. And there's no distance too far to go for my favorite goddaughter." 
I allow the corners of my mouth to rise slightly. "You're only twenty-three. I'm your only goddaughter."
"Good point. I wonder what you saw in me."
"Your willingness to drive a hundred miles to be with me when I learn..." I trail off and try to hold back my tears.
"Hey," she tells me, "it's okay to cry. In fact, it's probably a good idea."
I shake my head against her shoulder, but the tears are already coursing down my face. She holds me tighter as I begin to shake.
"It's going to be okay," she tells me quietly.
I shake my head against her shoulder again, trying to stop the flow of tears. "I'm ruining your shirt," I say, my voice cracking. 
"I don't mind." 
We stay like that for long moments, and then I pull back, wiping off my face with the back of my hand. The forgotten map is still on my lap, now further crumpled by the hugs and crying. She picks it up and examines it. "Thinking of running away to Alaska, were we?" 
"No," I respond, leaning back against the car. "Torturing myself with what I can't have, now."
She tosses the map onto the sidewalk. "You can still go to Alaska." 
"But I won't be able to see it! I won't be able to drive there! I won't be able to experience the best things." My voice cracks again. "Who knows, this could be the last time I see you."
"As we've established on multiple occasions, you'll still be able to identify me by smell," she says, sounding slightly forced. 
I try to smile. "Don't ever change your perfume, I've warned you."
She nods. That last thing on the list of things I'm losing must have hit home. It did for me, too. "I want to be able to see you," I say, leaning back into her.
She hugs me. "I know. But imagine--I'll always be twenty in your eyes."
Another tear rolls down my cheek, and she brushes it away with the back of her hand, gently. "Hey, that's not a bad thing!"
"I want to see you grow old! I want to see my siblings grow up! I want to hold your babies without worrying about dropping them."
"I'm not even married yet."
"Well, if I have any say in the matter, you will be soon. God owes me for this."
"As your godmother, I'm obliged to remind you, it doesn't work like that."
I sigh. "I know. I wish it did. Then I'd know I was losing my sight for a good cause."
Her breath catches, and I frown. "You can't start crying, too! One lachrymose person is enough for this car."
"What," she asks, obviously making an effort, "did I ever do to deserve a goddaughter like you?"
I almost smile. "As your goddaughter," I say, "I feel obliged to remind you that it doesn't work like that." 



I just realized that I didn't put the middle prompt in! I suppose it was implicit...anyway. I hope you guys liked it!

Do you call confirmation sponsors godparents? Are my Quirks too short, or the right length? Did you like the ending?

Comments

  1. AGH SAMANTHA!!! I love this so MUCH! It follows every aspect of the prompt beautifully and creatively and GACK THAT ENDING. These two are so CUTE and I want a novel about them. Like. Seriously. I would read a novel about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan! Thank you! I'm so glad you like it! (I'm so glad you like the ending, too, it's one of my favorite parts!) Okay, okay, I'll see what I can do! No promises, though. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh. OH. That is not somewhere I imagined the middle prompt going and it hit hard. WOW.

    (And sorry for not realising you'd published your Quirk when I put my post up, Samantha! 😅)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it's not quite where I imagined it going either, when I started work on it (but let's be real--how often does it actually go where we expect it to when we start work on it?)...so I'm glad it is impactful.

      No worries--I should've left you a comment. 😊

      Delete
  3. Wow, I really like this! And the middle prompt was definitely implicit, and it totally worked. It's amazing how you just immediately pull us into the scene, and give us these characters and their relationship in such a short amount of time. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your kind words! I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  4. OKAY WHY WERE YOU ALL SO CLEVER WITH THE MIDDLE PROMPT. You were the cleverest of all, I believe. I am impressed. (And sad. Which I presume was your goal. Good job.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! I'm so glad you liked it! (Yes, my goal was to make everyone horribly sad. Sorry. I don't usually do that. XD)

      Delete
  5. Ahhhhh, this is so sad, but so sweet, and the ending??? Ack, so good! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I never read this masterpiece!? Thanks for linking to it so I came back to fix that! It is so, so, so good, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much, MC! That's too kind of you. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!