The Writerly Sibling Tag

Thanks to Bethany @ Scribbled Fiction for tagging me for this! I love siblings (in real life, books, and writing), so this was such a fun tag to do!

Praecepta:
1. Thank the blogger who tagged you, and link to their post. 
2. Answer all the questions, including any added by rule 6.
3. ALWAYS use your own characters for the writing questions. No exceptions unless you don't have any sibling characters (in which case, go write some) or you don't write (in which case, you should start).
4. Tag three bloggers. 
5. If you have siblings who blog, they are automatically tagged, and don't count towards your three.
6. Add one question or prompt to the list of questions the person before you answered relating to siblings and/or characters. Answer the question, and provide a list of all the questions of that you answered so far. (So, someone I tag will have 12 questions to answer, one of which will be their own. The next will have 13, 11 of which are mine, 1 of which is the previous blogger's, and 1 of which is there own. The next person will have 14, and so on).
7. Close out the post by making some statement glorifying the King of Kings.

The Questions:

 Name the most annoying sibling character in any of your stories (Either annoying to you as the author or to any other characters) 

Okay, a LOT of these questions will have to be answered from the WIP Which Has No Name, since that one has OODLES of siblings, and none of my other works do yet. But I'm going to have to go with Jay and John, Mira's brothers, from WWHNN. They drive her nuts, since they're always fighting about who gets her as a helper for that day. 

Name the most caring sibling character in any of your stories 

Jacob, from WWHNN, no question. (He's also my MC, so...)

Name the most entertaining sibling character in any of your stories 

Probably Mira...she's a hoot, both to write and to read (I hope). Also Adam, Jacob's brother.

Name a sibling character who was inspired in some way by an actual sibling 

Rose, Jacob's sister, was partially inspired by Galadriel (as in, my sister Galadriel, not LOTR Galadriel.)

Name the largest character family (talking family, not family tree) in any of your stories 

Well, Mira has seven brothers, which is quite a lot. But May also has a lot of siblings, and I can't remember how many off the top of my head...so one of them. XD

Provide one to three excerpts from your sibling characters' dialog from any of your stories 

From WWHNN:
Mira's mom slid a plate full of eggs, sausage, and potatoes in front of her. "Eat up, before your bothers start arguing over you," she said, winking.
John looked up. "Oh yeah, we should start arguing."
His wife smacked his arm. "Such a good example for the twins, John."
He widened his eyes innocently. "I always set a good example."
"It's a moot point today," Mira quickly pointed out. "I have school."
Jay, John, Ben, and a couple of other brothers groaned. 
"But only a half day, remember? I can work on the ship or fish with you later. But you have to have a decision for me by the time I get home, ore I'll go ride firebirds with Jacob." 
Her brothers looked at each other challengingly. 
"But not in front of the kids," her sister-in-law stated firmly.

Name three published books which have an amazing portrayal of siblings or family

Seriously, you're asking me to list these off the top of my head? Ummm....

On The Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson
Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Name another author's character family that you wouldn't mind jumping into 

THE WEASLEYS. The banter, the love, the sweaters! Also, I love their house. AND I'd get to hang out with Hermione. Sold. 

Provide an excerpt of sibling drama or camaraderie from any title (though be sure to credit it)

From The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall:
"I thought you'd never get here," said Jane when Rosalind opened the door. "Skye won't give me any hints about the MOOPS topic, and she keeps trying to explain irrational numbers to me. I don't need that stuff until at least seventh grade."
"You won't get anywhere in life with that attitude," said Skye.

Name two characters from two unrelated books that you feel would make for great literary siblings (whether in terms of getting along, or being a constant head-to-head combat)

Gen from The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner, and Leeli from The Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson. Don't even try to argue with me on this--they would be amazing as siblings. *makes heart eyes*

What sibling trope would you like to write in the future?

Umm...maybe twins? Who either really love each other and can basically read each others minds, or who are completely different but still love each other. Maybe twins who are totally different and can still basically read each other's minds. I don't know--I've always wanted to write twins. Also, I really want to do a found family at some point. 

My added question: If you could have any three book characters as siblings in real life, which book characters would you choose?

WHY did I give myself such a hard question? *dies*. See, how do I even pick three? With all those fantastic characters? Whhhhhhyyyyyy. And I have to consider gender, and temperament, and personality, and how they'd get along... it's gonna be a couple of minutes, guys. 
Still thinking. It's been five minutes.
Okay, this is RIDICULOUS.

Evanlyn from Ranger's Apprentice 
Eddis from The Queen's Thief
Sam from LOTR

Two tomboys and a cinnamon roll...should be fine, right? I can just see Eddis and Evanlyn competing for who can climb onto the roof fastest, while I'm telling them to get down, Sam is offering to catch them, and my other siblings are cheering them on, and asking after Gen, Will, and Frodo.

List of Questions:
Name the most annoying sibling character in any of your stories (Either annoying to you as the author or to any other characters)
Name the most caring sibling character in any of your stories 
Name the most entertaining sibling character in any of your stories 
Name a sibling character who was inspired in some way by an actual sibling 
Name the largest character family (talking family, not family tree) in any of your stories 
Provide one to three excerpts from your sibling characters' dialog from any of your stories 
Name three published books which have an amazing portrayal of siblings or family
Name another author's character family that you wouldn't mind jumping into 
Provide an excerpt of sibling drama or camaraderie from any title (though be sure to credit it)
Name two characters from two unrelated books that you feel would make for great literary siblings (whether in terms of getting along, or being a constant head-to-head combat)
What sibling trope would you like to write in the future?
If you could have any three book characters as siblings in real life, which book characters would you choose?

And I Tag:
Julian @ Saver of Memories
Catherine Hawthorn @ The Rebelling Muse
Megan Chappie @ The Pen and the Cross 

Praised be Jesus Christ, now and forever, Amen. 

What's your favorite big family in literature? If you COULD have a sibling out of a fictional book, would you want one? Who would you pick?

Comments

  1. Your sibling characters. <3 Also, FIREBIRDS? What are these intriguing creatures?-what is this storyworld?-I want to know more.

    The family in Code Name Verity is the BEST. And Sam Gamgee would make such a good sibling. *heart eyes*

    TWINS! That's a favorite trope of mine. Definitely. They pop up in my stories all over the place. Without me even trying. It's almost problematic, how many sets of twins I have.

    Thanks for the tag, my dear! So excited to answer these fun questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They're fun to write. The firebirds are kind of like dinosaurs? Except they can fly, and shoot flames out of the top of their heads. And they're semi-telepathic. It's rather a reimagining of medieval Europe (I know...so original), but with element-linked magic powers, and firebirds.

      I KNOW! He really would. I totally want him as a sibling now. XD

      I'm glad I'm not the only one! They've always fascinated me, but I have yet to write anything GOOD with twins in it, haha.

      You're welcome! I'm excited to see your answers!

      Delete
  2. I've never seen this tag before, and it looks amazing! Sibling relationships are something I'm always happy to find in stories. And Samwise would 100% be a great brother. :)

    (Have you read CG Drew's 'The Boy Who Steals Houses'? It has a huge chaotic family which I really enjoy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really fun! You can steal it, if you like :D. Sam would be TOTALLY AMAZING as a brother.

      (I haven't--it's on my TBR, but the library doesn't have it, and I'm a cheapskaaaaate. But I want to read it sometime soon!).

      Delete
    2. "the library doesn't have it and I'm a cheapskate" <- story of my life, honestly. xD

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!