Why I Love "The Queen's Thief" And You Should Read It




OK. I'm pretty sure you all knew this post was coming. It's time for me to shove one of my favorite series of all time (second only to LOTR, which is saying something, people) in your faces. Because The Return of The Thief is coming out in *checks calendar* 18 days, guys, and I am freaking out! And you need a little bit of background before I lose my mind on October 6th! (I might wait to jump on you with confetti until the 9th. For consistency, y'know. But I will definitely start freaking out on the 6th). And by "a bit of background", I mean, a big ol' party of a blog post. Have fun. 

Also, you might've noticed that my centering of photos/paragraphs is Not Consistent. And it's Not My Fault--Blogger is being Irritating.


The (Shortish) Background:

Our entire family loves these books--Mom, Dad, and I read them at the behest of an aunt of mine, Legolas just read them early this year, and Eomer just last week finished reading them for the first time. We gush about them all the time. 

Now that The Return of the Thief is coming out, we are all losing our minds. (Just ask Legolas or Eomer--at least once a week, I randomly yell "Return of the Thief is coming out on October 6, and I am NOT PREPARED!". I've not ever really been a part of a fandom for a series that's in progress? And it's not my favorite feeling.
We even have a death pool up on our whiteboard. (I would show you a picture, but it's spoilery). Like, yes, we are taking bets on which characters are going to die. Any other questions?


What The Queen's Thief Is:

-A YA series that the author intends for adults to enjoy (like, actually enjoy. And fangirl/boy over. Because this happens. On a regular basis).

-Fantastic

-Amazing

-JK, I'll be actually informative. A series of books that loosely follows one character (G) through his life/a series of decisions/a series of adventures/sort of.

-Very easy to spoil! I am going to try VERY hard not to give spoilers. It's so bad that even putting in the back cover summary from the later books spoils the early books...so I'm not going to do that. I'm also going to use initials for characters, to be unspoilery, esoteric, and mysterious. 


What The Queen's Thief Is Not:

-Predictable. Any YA trope? Not in there. Any Fantasy trope? No chance. Historical Fiction trope? Look in vain. 

-Boring. There is nothing boring about The Queen's Thief.

-In an obvious genre. It's not Historical Fiction or Fantasy, even though those are two of the closest...but it doesn't really fit in either. 

-Stereotypical. Ever. Never, ever, ever. 


Okay, now that you have a basic idea about what it is...


Why I love it SO MUCH, and the rest of my family does, too:

-The Author. Megan Whalen Turner (aka MWT) has put SO much love and time (24 years) into these books, and it shows. Additionally, she NEVER tells anyone ANYTHING about the world. Any query--"How old is x character?" "What happens between books x and y?" "Why did x character say y?"--is met with a strict "Not Telling", since she trusts the intelligence of her readers to figure out what is happening. <3 

-The characters. MWT really understands how humans work, and it shows. Her characters are so realistic, I feel like they're actually people. All of them, not just the MCs!

-The plot. You never, ever, ever, ever, EVER, know what's coming next.

-The level of detail. I like to talk about these books as a huge moving puzzle, where as you read and reread, a piece clicks into place every so often--but only every so often. New hidden pieces are unearthed all the time, and new conclusions formed. They are SO rewarding to reread.

-MWT trusts her readers. She doesn't explain things gratuitously, which really adds to the feeling of puzzle-ness, which I love. 

-The POV changes from book to book, which really keeps the reader on their toes, and adds to the panorama-y feeling.


Book by Book Thoughts:

The Thief

POV: First person 

Number of times I've read it: 3

My summary: In which Gen is amazing and unexpected things occasionally happen. 

My thoughts: Seriously, why does no one ever write books where the MC doesn't give. every. single. detail. about their backstory in the first minute of their being written about? Because it works SO. DANG. WELL. for the MC to save it for a little later. Sort of. And I really can't say anything else about this without it being spoilers? But this book is amazing. And the details. Are amazing. Wow. This book. <3 


The Queen of Attolia

POV: Third person 

Number of times I've read it: 10+

My summary: In which torture happens and E & A are both awesome.

My thoughts: Wow, MWT is good at psychology. And diplomacy. And putting them into books. And seriously, I still get shell-shocked every time I read this book. And MWT is ALSO so good at making time pass without saying things like "And then after three months..." and it's really seamless, and I. Love. It. And the surprises. And the emotional surprises. And the blufffiiiiinnnng. 


The King of Attolia

POV: Third person 

Number of times I've read it: 10+

My summary: In which E & A are both awesome, and the interesting ship from QoA is cute as heck.

My thoughts: This book miiiight be my favorite out of all of them. And seriously, besides Arwen + Aragorn/Beren + Luthien, the ship in this book is my OTP. *cries from adorableness* The court intrigue is flawless and accurate, and just wow. 


A Conspiracy of Kings

POV: Third person/First person

Number of times I've read it: 3-4

My summary: In which State Affairs occur, S is bumptious, and stuff switches around.

My thoughts: Okay, this one flows a little slowly for my taste (and there's not enough E! But I guess the scenes E's in are awesome, so. But there's also not enough C.) but I still love it. It's very nuanced. And there is stabbyness, and soft characters who have to do hard things, and hard characters who unexpectedly do soft things and make me cry. Not fair, MWT. Not fair. 


Thick as Thieves

POV: First person

Number of times I've read it: 3

My summary: In which the best male friendship ever happens, and the gods get crafty. 

My thoughts: WHAT IS THIS AMAZING MALE FRIENDSHIP WITHOUT A HINT OF ANY SORT OF WEIRDNESS? ALL THE YES! (the friendship happens later in the book, just fyi). Seriously, though, seeing a character through the eyes of a character we haven't seen him through is fascinating, and all the things that are woven in are clever, and wow, eyesight is both symbolic and subjective. Also, still not sure who P is. Need to know right now plz. 


And just because, since these are basically mini reviews...

Content

Um, spoilers? Haha. Injuries (not usually described graphically), battles (also not described graphically), implied deaths, mention of a "wedding night", a few uses of d--n. 

Overall Rating (for the series)

5 stars! I will shout these books from the rooftops FOREVER!

Reminds me of...

Honestly, the level of detail reminds me of The Lord of the Rings, and the setting reminds me of The Odyssey, but I can't think of any books that the plot or characters remind me of...they're very original. As I've said multiple times. :) Actually, part of one of the books recently reminded me of the Lay of Leithan, but it's a minor plot point. 

Have you read these ones? (If so, please fangirl with me!) Do you want to read them now? What's your favorite long-running series? What's your most anticipated release of October?


Comments

  1. I first heard of these a couple of summers ago, but I didn't really know what they were about. Since then, I've heard people talk about how awesome they are (don't worry, I haven't read spoilers yet. ;)) and now I'm very interested. Ah, I love being part of a currently growing fandom, but it's also fun to get to binge watch or read everything without having to wait. Heehee...

    My biggest release that I'm looking forward to in October is the movie Death on the Nile!!! It's my favorite Agatha Christie book and the cast looks phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should really read them! And it's good that you haven't gotten any spoilers--these ones are so easy to spoil! Being part of a growing fandom is fun, I suppose, but it's more suspenseful than I like...I prefer bingeing, too!

      Ooh, that sounds really cool! I haven't read any Agatha Christie yet, but I keep hearing that I should. But I have watched one of the 2005 movies, which I really enjoyed.
      It's so nice when a book one loves is well-cast--doesn't always happen, but when it does, it feels really good. :)

      Delete
  2. These sound really interesting! I love how your whole family is into the series. XD Family fandoms are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really great! Yeah, family fandoms are the best! We all rant and rave with each other. XD

      Delete
  3. Yessss back at the beginning of the year when everybody was posting "books coming out in 2020 I'm excited for" lists, I was like "....I could write a post about Return of the Thief?" It's fun to be in a waiting-for-updates-in-real-time fandom for once in my life, though, even if as far as I knew it was just me and my friend in the fandom!

    But YES. I CANNOT BELIEVE IT'S ALMOST HERE. And it's ACTUALLY almost here. I was deathly afraid it would get pushed back AGAIN (and I would not complain because I want it to be perfect) but YES. IT'S ALMOST OCTOBER. *SCREAMS AND RUNS WILDLY IN CIRCLES*

    Also, "soft characters who have to do hard things, and hard characters who unexpectedly do soft things" is the best description of Conspiracy I've ever heard. I love it. That one's my least favorite too but it is still sublime.

    I LOVE THESE BOOKS SO MUCH AND THIS POST MADE ME HAPPY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RotT is the only book coming out in 2020 I'm excited for. XD I also have not ever been in a waiting-for-updates-in-real-time fandom, and I love it and hate it at the same time!

      I KNOW! I actually made a countdown for it...11 days to go! I was ALSO worried it'd get pushed back but ARGH IT'S COMING AND I'M NOT READY! BUT I ALSO WANT IT NOW! (Have you looked at the cover yet? Because there's the Hephestial mountain. And Gen with the hook. And Attolia looks pregnant...just saying.) *JOINS YOU IN THE SCREAMING AND RUNNING*

      Haha, I know, it's so accurate! That scene where S is leaving, and Attolia just...holds Eddis's hand. <3 <3 <3
      Yeah, for some reason it just doesn't grab me quite as much? But it's still great.

      I'M SO GLAD! It made me happy to write. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, I really need to read these books. They sound amazing! And I love it when authors trust readers to figure things out. And, ugh, the 'reveal your whole backstory at the beginning' is so freaking annoying.
    Haha, I was never part of a fandom with a series that hadn't finished yet......until KOTLC. I got a little.....crazy waiting for the last book (I would say ask my sister, but she was going crazy, too, so ask my other sister, who's not into fandoms).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should! I know! Readers are intelligent, and can figure stuff out, and I love when authors realize that. I know--backstory dumps are the worst.
      Haha, I know the feeling! It's really nice to be able to freak out with family, too. :)
      I haven't actually read all the KOTLC books...partially because I couldn't get the next ones out of the library in time to not forget a lot of what happened in the previous ones. But I really want to go through and read them sometime!

      Delete
  5. I have never actually read this - surprise! But the rest of my family loves it (*wonders why I haven't read it yet*), so I've gotten spoils

    eeeeeeeeeeeeee! Like the part where E has to only use his left hand for the rest of his life eeeeeeeeee! Why haven't I read this yet!?!?!?

    Faramir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't READ these yet? FARAMIR. GET ON IT.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!