Good, Better, Best: Fall Books

For some reason, all the books I associate with Fall are my favorites? Not that I don't have favorite books associated with other seasons, too, but this is the only season where I tried to put every. single. book. in "Best". Because they're all that good. Also, there are fifteen books in this post? Seriously, so many amazing Fall books!

Good

The School Story by Andrew Clements
Andrew Clements is the king of MG. There, I said it. Seriously, though, he understands how children work, he understands how adults work, his plots are amazing, and he keeps everything to the point but powerful. As a bonus, this one is about publishing! And the MC's mom works for a publishing company! And seeing the inside of that is so cool! (Even if the process is a taaaad unrealistic.)

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George
This book, and the whole series, are early JDG, after she got her first series under her belt, but before her writing started getting a tad boring and cliché. This book shines with creativity, and I LOVE the characters. My only quibble is her portrayal of a fictionalized Catholic church...which is not always super charitable (although she does have good priests and bad priests, which is realistic!). 

The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg
Why does no one ever talk about E. L. Konigsburg's other books? Because this, this is art. Honestly, it's a lot better than Mixed Up Files. It follows a group of kids as they meet each other and become a team. More than that would be spoilers...but let me just say, like Andrew Clements, she really understands how people's minds work (especially children!).

The Girl Who Could Not Dream by Sarah Beth Durst
This is one of the few MG/YA books I will be taking with me to college. (I think. It depends on how much space I have!) It has a great premise--what if dreams could be distilled, drunk and experienced? And what if that was illegal? I love all the characters in this book, but Monster is my absolute favorite! And I would tell you more about him, but spoilers. Also, the MC lives in a bookstore! The plot is amazing, the characters are amazing, the premise is amazing...this is only in "Good" because I couldn't fit it in "Better". 😊

Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan
This series was MY CHILDHOOD. The first series I read, the first book I reread (the first one, and I reread it five times in a row), the first book I cried over (the second one), and the first book I wrote fan fiction about (it was ugly, guys. But so much fun!). Who doesn't want a medieval England with mysterious and disciplined protectors of the kingdom, snarky mentors, excellent banter, great characters, and well-written relationships? John Flanagan is sometimes a tad weak on consistency between books, but overall...amazing. (Just don't read any of the prequel/sequel series). 

Better

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
I have loved this book since I was seven years old. True facts. I might have been younger. In my opinion, this is Gail Carson Levine's best book, although I love most of her others as well. It's extraordinarily well characterized, world-built, and plotted. And the fact that it's her debut is...intimidating. (And then I remember that The Hobbit, that loveable plot-mess of a book, was Tolkien's debut, and am less intimidated). Anywho--I love the premise, I love the heroine, I love the plot...it's an excellent book. (And she made up languages for it! Inspired by Tolkien! Yay!)

Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling
The Ultimate Fall Books. Woot! Everyone knows about these (I think?), so I shall confine myself to vague screeching, and saying how much I LOVE Hermione, and Lupin, and Sirius, and Ginny, and wow. These books. (I'm going to reread them this month, and so there will probably be at least one further expository post about them. :D)

Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage
Somehow no one knows about these books? Aragorn likes to describe them as "Harry Potter, but less dark and more English cottage-y", which is somewhat accurate. There's magic, but also magical creatures, and message rats, and humorous villains who are still intimidating, and clever plotting, and excellent characters, and beautiful family relationships. Legolas is reading them aloud to Galadriel and Gandalf right now, and I'm really enjoying listening in when I can. (The fact that Legolas is very dramatically talented and does different voices for all the characters is also lots of fun. But it's a book that lends itself to that, too.)

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
Also everyone knows about this one? I think? But a pseudo-Irish island with its own quirks and prejudices, set in the 1920s I think? With clever festivals and delicious food? And magical flesh-eating horses? Sign me up. I love both protagonists and the story, and just wow. Although sometimes I find it drags in the middle? During the, y'know, non-perilous bits. Lastly, can we give this book the award for best opening line? Because it really deserves it.

I Am Margaret series by Corinna Turner
I'm sure you've noticed a pattern now--no one knows about these ones either! But these books? Phenomenal! The premise is that society has advanced to such an anti-life state that any people who are not "perfect" are dismantled for "spare parts". Also, Catholicism is illegal. And therefore, underground. (And the underground Church speaks Latin fluently! What is this awesomeness?) I don't really want to tell you a lot more because, spoilers, but they're SUCH Catholic books, and the premise is SO realistic, and wow. 

Best

The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
Of course, the ultimate Fall books! I know you all probably know about LOTR already, AND how much I love them, so let's just say, there's a reason why they're in "Best". Also, I just realized that Tolkien 100% pantsed these. And I am in awe. 

Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
I don't know why more people don't love this book. Seriously, this is Lewis at his best (I mean, he's always at his best, but still), with a lose retelling of a legend which incorporates a striking understanding of how man relates to God...what is not to love? If that wasn't enough...there's sister love, demonstration of how possessive love can ruin a life, comparison of philosophies, an unreliable narrator, and, as always, a superb understand of the human mind. Read it! (But don't expect it to be exactly like Cupid & Psyche, because it's not.)

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
These last three books are MG? But they are so good. (I may have changed my mind. Andrew Clements is king of the school story...Trenton Lee Stewart and Gary D. Schmidt are the kings of straight-up MG). This book is the story of four very different children who learn to be a team, while also saving the world. The characters are dynamic, the plot is unpredictable, and it's really realistic, especially in the relationships! Also, when I was an MG reader, it gave me nightmares, even though I loved it, so maybe don't just hand it to a ten-year-old, because the bad guys are legitimately scary! I also love all the mental puzzles worked in. 

The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt
"Middle School Teacher Makes Student Read Shakespeare". Yep! That's what this book is about. 

Okay, okay, I won't stop there. It's set during the Vietnam War, with all those tensions, but played out on a micro scale within this middle school classroom. There's Shakespeare, teen boys misunderstanding Shakespeare, emotions, an excellent understanding of human minds (again! still! more! All these books seem to have that...), and also rats. And a terrific writing style. In case you need more recommendation, my aunt, who reads almost as much as I do, ranks this one in her top five, in such company as Pride & Prejudice

The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge
This book is one of J. K. Rowling's favorites. The woman has good taste. Anywho. This book is amazing--it's such a good mix of fairy tale and reality, and themes of forgiveness, and humility, and symbolism, and just wow. It's about a girl who comes to a crumbling kingdom--sort of--as the newest heir--sort of--and finds it not how she expects (definitely). And it's up to her to put it right. And it's gorgeous, and puzzly, and there's a great parson, and animal friends, and wow. So good. 

Had you realized that Tolkien pantsed LotR? Have you read any of these? Which one is your favorite? Do you have any other excellent Fall books to recommend?

Comments

  1. *buckles self in for a long comment because BOOKS*

    I've actually read 6 of these! Princess of the Midnight Ball (I accidentally read the second book first, and that one's my favorite anyway), The View From Saturday (it's been ages since I read it, but I loved it the first time), Ella Enchanted (<3 <3 <3), Harry Potter (Yes! I can't believe that when I was in the middle of the series I didn't like them! But, the last book was magnificent and made me fully a fan again), LotR (I'm starting to reread them!), & Till We Have Faces (I just read that this January!).

    I've heard of many of these others and have been meaning to read them. In fact, I just checked the Ranger's Apprentice out from the library and plan to start it soon! Septimus Heap has been recommended to me, too. I've never heard of I Am Margaret but I want to read it NOW without delay!I

    Lovely fallish choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *buckles self in to love your comment*

      This comment did legitimately make me very happy. :) It's so cool you've read so many of them! I also really love the 2nd Princess of the Midnight Ball one--Poppy is such a fun protagonist! The last Harry Potter book is AMAZING (definitely my favorite). Have fun with your LotR reread! And how did you like Till We Have Faces?

      Ooh, you'll have to let me know what you think of Ranger's Apprentice! And yeah, you totally should read I Am Margaret NOW! :)

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. AHHH, so many good books! I think Ella Enchanted is my favorite Gail Carson Levine book too. The Mysterious Benedict Society is one of my all time favorites! It's so clever and I love all the characters SO MUCH. And the Wednesday Wars! Holling is such a great character :) (Have you read Okay for Now? It's SO GOOD.) I haven't read The Scorpio Races, but this is the second time I've read about it on a blog today, and I'm starting to think I should check it out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ella Enchanted is so amazing! And MBS! The characters are SO well written! Holling is definitely amazing! (And I have read Okay For Now! I really loved it!) You really should check out The Scorpio Races. :)

      Delete
  3. AHH! The Scorpio Races is such a perfect fall read!! I read it last year in October/November and it was so wonderful! And yes, Tolkien is perfect as well this time of year! I'm slowly making my way back through The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW, it really is! I'm looking forward to reading it this November. :) Ooh, I hope you're enjoying your reread!

      Delete
  4. There are so many good books on this list! I, too, am really surprised that no one seems to know about Septimus Heap - it's such a fantastic book series! (Do you have a favorite character? ;) ) And I've heard so much about Till We Have Faces - hopefully I'll be able to read it sometime soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know--they're great books, they need to be better known! (My favorite character is 100% Marcia. :D). I really highly recommend Till We Have Faces--you'll have to let me know what you think of it!

      Delete
  5. I need to read these! They all sound so good.
    Love The Scorpio Races!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!