Review: "The Morning Gift" by Eva Ibbotson

I read this book probably three or four years of it, and still think about it on a regular basis, so I decided it was time for a reread and review. It did not disappoint--if anything, it was even better the second time around.  

Eighteen-year-old Ruth lives in the sparkling city of Vienna with her family, where she delights in its music, energy and natural beauty. She is wildly in love with the brilliant young pianist Heini Radik and can't wait until they are married.

But Ruth's world is turned upside down when the Nazis invade Austria and her family are forced to flee to England, and through a devastating misunderstanding she is left behind. Her only hope to escape Vienna comes from Quin, a young English professor, who unexpectedly offers her a marriage of convenience to bring her back to London.

Ruth throws herself into her new life – but a secret marriage is more difficult than she expected, especially as she and Quin find themselves drawn together.

Setting/Writing Style
The book is set in WWII Europe, and wow does it deliver. The mood is perfect, the descriptions are perfect, and the feeling of gloom that lay over Europe at that time is spot on. All the travel is realistic, and Ibbotson does a good job of making the settings feel right. As for the writing style--excellent, as always with Ibbotson. Just the right degree of formality, with some dry wit mixed in.

Plot
I don't always like romance plots...but this really isn't one? It's about a romance, but it's also about a family adjusting to life as immigrants in England, and a girl coming of age. The balancing act between those three stories is imo what makes the book amazing. That and the hilarious descriptions of Quin, and the confusion around who "Morgan" is. (JK--those things are funny, but are not what makes the book amazing). I also am not usually a fan of problems-which-could-be-resolved-by-talking, but the one in this book was well done, and almost doesn't bother me at all. That one character being so mean to Ruth does drive me up the wall, but the moment when she *spoiler* gets her comeuppance *end spoiler* is fantastic. I do absolutely love what Ibbotson does with the epilogue at the end, which is so nice for the reader. 

Characters
The characters are where this book really shines. Because they act like real people! And they make mistakes, and change their minds, and mulishly resist admitting the truth, and I am a fan. But at the same time, they're subtly drawn, none of them are the epitome of beauty, and all the side characters are as richly described as the main characters. Ibbotson really understands how people's minds work, and it shows. I especially like how she makes her eighteen-year-old MC feel grown-up, and use an adult vocabulary, but also makes her feel her age at the same time. Cleverly done. 
One of my favorite subtle characterizations is the one character *spoiler* Heini *end spoiler* who is totally selfish. Ibbotson does a phenomenal job, though, of letting the reader come to this conclusion on their own by a superb use of showing-not-telling.
Ruth is a fantastic heroine, who is just the right mix of worldly-wise and naïve. I love her love of science! Quin is absolutely clueless, and hilarious, and just fantastic. 

Romance
What to say about the romance...well, it kind of consisted of two characters being exceptionally clueless, most of the time. But it was also sweet and loving and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I could say more...but I shan't. Go read it. :)

Content 
There are several mentions of "marital activity" once outside of marriage, and several fairly strong instances of innuendo. Nothing graphic, though. There may have been some swearing--I don't recall.  

Overall Rating
4 stars! This was a reread that I really enjoyed, although I would have rated it a bit higher if it had less content.

Reminded me of...
Parts of the romance/epilogue reminded me a little of books 6 and 7 of Harry Potter...and the setting reminded me of Code Name Verity somewhat. Otherwise, it was a very unique book!

Have you read anything by Eva Ibbotson? Do you like WWII literature? What about clueless characters? :)

Comments

  1. I'm always looking for more war books, so I might have to find a copy of this. Right now my brain isn't working and I can only think of WWII movies and not books. I'll think of something eventually...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might enjoy it! I haven't actually watched many WWII movies, so I might take recommendations for those, too. :)

      Delete
  2. O.O Austria? Austria?? AUSTRIA???

    Samanthaaaaaaa I want to read this now. This is...exactly the kind of book I want to read at the moment. How DARE you make me go spend money. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Austria!

      Haha, I have done my job! You're welcome. XD

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I don't think I've ever heard of this one but it looks really good. Characters are the most important part of a story to me so if it has good characters I'll probably like it. Great review, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good characters are definitely a must! Thank you. :)

      Delete
  4. I've heard many good things about Eva Ibbotson, and after this awesome review this book is so going on my list. (Also clueless characters are kind of my favorite. I am kind of one myself, so. xD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you enjoy it. (Clueless characters are kind of the best, and kind of the worst! I would probably be one, too. XD)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!