Review: "Flipped" by Wendelin Van Draanen

So, when I posted about The Crush a couple of weeks ago, MC told me I should read Flipped. So I did--and as soon as I finished it, proceeded to read every single other one of Wendelin Van Draanen's standalone works. Yes, it was /that good/. And I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it! So thank you, MC for the recommendation, and here's a review of Flipped!

The first time she saw him, she flipped. The first time he saw her, he ran. That was the second grade, but not much has changed by the seventh. Juli says: “My Bryce. Still walking around with my first kiss.” He says: “It’s been six years of strategic avoidance and social discomfort.” But in the eighth grade everything gets turned upside down: just as Bryce is thinking that there’s maybe more to Juli than meets the eye, she’s thinking that he’s not quite all he seemed.

Worldbuilding/Writing Style
The "worldbuilding" of this book was building up a typical neighborhood in a typical town, but it's done in such a way that it feels like it could take place almost anywhere! As for the writing style...each chapter is written in alternating POV...and the chapters are paired and written about the same events (e.g. Character A talks about Event A, Character B talks about Event A, Character A talks about Event B, etc). The POV characters each have a unique voice and way of looking at events, so seeing them twice was mostly riveting (although sometimes seeing the same cringey scene more than once was painful!). There were a couple of instances where I got a bit bored, but not a lot!

Plot
The plot really felt like it evolved organically, but did move in a focused way towards the end. It more or less consisted of everyday activities...the real drama and change and fight was within the characters as both of them came to new realizations about the world, and new points of view. The change was extraordinarily well done, and I loved all the everyday events as well! The plot especially stresses the realization that grownups are not perfect, which is definitely a hard one for many people as they grow older, so it was nice to see that addressed.

Characters
The characters, the characters! I loved them all! (Except Bryce's dad. Because, reasons.) It's funny--I've heard a lot of people complaining that Bryce is irritating, but I actually found Juli to be more irritating than him in the beginning. Perhaps because I relate to Bryce? Who just. wants. his. life. back. and. please. can. he. be. ignored. again. But he's also SUCH a boy (his cluelessness is Ron-level, which is saying something, ok) and his arc is the more beautiful. I also do really like Juli, especially as she gets older. Her family is precious, and they have raised her so well, and she just. wants. to. do. the. right. thing. and. have. people. like. her. I LOVED how each Juli and Bryce, each POV character have a different way of seeing the world. The way the dialogue slightly differs between chapters, based on the POV...*chef's kiss*
Lastly, the "bad" characters are subtly drawn, to let the reader sloooowly come to the conclusion that, no, I don't like you one bit. 

Romance
Obviously, this is an MG contemporary romance (a rare bird). But I thought that the whole crush/flipped thing was handled really well for that age, and not overly emphasized in any way--it's really light, and the characters are kind of clueless, and I love it. 

Content
Some offensive language (from the "bad" characters) towards the mentally impaired. Some very mild bad language, and vague discussion of drugs. 

Overall Rating
4 stars! I wish it was longer, is all. :)

Reminds me of...
Various characters had the cluelessness of the boys in Harry Potter and the slow noticing of the grown-up world of To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Honestly, TKaM is probably an apt comparison, although Flipped is not quite that level of total amazingness.

Do you have a recommendation for an excellent MG author who I should read next? Have you ever read an MG romance? Do you like multiple POVs?

Comments

  1. *screams to infinity and beyond* AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! YOU READ IT!!!!!!!! YYYYYYYAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!! Now I can't stop smiling. I love this book so much. Seriously, seeing different perspectives is ONE OF MY FAVORITE THINGS EVER and I love, love, love how it is done in this book. I relate to Bryce a lot, too. XD I'm so glad that you liked it!!! And, as I said in your other review, the movie is so good! I definitely recommend it. The setting is really neat (and because of that almost everybody's names are different. Besides Bryce and Juli), and all of it is so fun to see acted out. Ah, I haven't seen it in ages and I really want to. I might be slightly biased towards to movie because I saw it first, but I love both it and the book so much. *hugs them* In 2018 they were both my favorite things that I had read and watched for the first time that year! Growing up and learning that adults aren't perfect is really hard, and I like how you pointed out how well done it was in here. The messages are golden in here! *happy sigh* Okay, I'll stop rambling now, but brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, I READ IT! The different perspectives are SO COOL! I'm glad someone else relates to Bryce, too--a bunch of the reviews I saw were not super sympathetic towards him, which made me a little sad.
      I'm so excited to watch the movie now! (As soon as I can get my family to agree to it, of course). I can't believe Rob Reiner directed it--such amazingness, all in one place!!!!
      The messages indeed are golden! I'm so glad you liked my review. :)

      Delete
  2. I loved this book! It was absolutely adorable! Your review of it is perfection.

    Have you seen the movie? The book is better, obvs, because it's harder to do the whole "inside the character's head" in a movie, but the movie was also really adorable, and directed by Rob Reiner (who also directed The Princess Bride... my all-time favorite movie) and he does a fabulous job when it comes to transposing books to movies. *nods* highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely adorable! And thank you. :)

      I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm hoping to! I would imagine the multiple-perspectives thing would be hard in a movie...but if it's directed by Rob Reiner I'm sure he does an amazing job! (The Princess Bride is my all-time favorite movie, too!)

      Delete
  3. As far as recommendations for other MG authors, I've been devouring everything by Jessica Day George this year and just loving the absolute SWEETNESS of her writing. So far I've read The Castle Glower series, Dragon Slippers (just the first book so far), and Princess of the Midnight Ball and loved them all to pieces.

    And I'm also enjoying the Keeper of the Lost Cities series by Shannon Messenger. The characters are a little more "teenager/angsty" but it's not too cringey so far and the stories are fun and well-written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I LOVE Jessica Day George! Thanks for the reminder--I definitely need to reread the Castle Glower books! And the whole Princess of the Midnight Ball series is perfection.

      I haven't read Keeper of the Lost Cities (or at least, further than the first book? I can't remember...I think I may have read the first one at some point), so I'll have to look into it! Thank you for the recommendations!

      Delete
  4. I've never read this one, but I've been wanting to try it since MC mentions it, but now I reallllllly need to read it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should definitely read it! Thank you. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!