Tag: 12 Delights of Christmas/Christmas Tag 2020

Merry Christmas to all! I hope y'all had a lovely Christmas Day yesterday, and are enjoying the Christmas season!
I have been tagged for two Christmas tags, and today seemed like a good day to do them! The Christmas season! Hurrah! The first tag, the 12 Delights of Christmas Tag is from Heidi (thanks Heidi!) and has no rules (my favorite kind). 

 1) A favorite Christmas tradition?
There are many, but here's one of my favorites:
On the third Sunday of Advent, Pippin's family usually hosts a caroling party, with us and several other friends of ours. We do a Lessons and Carols bit, with Scripture readings and songs, and then take requests from everyone for more carols! We have a very old carol packet that has basically every carol every invented, it's amazing. We usually have two guitarists, a violinist, and two pianists (Legolas and me), so all the carols are accompanied, and it's beautiful. Plus, we eat good food, of course. 
This year, we did it on Zoom, which was not nearly the same, since we just did the Lessons and Carols and chatted, but it was still fun, and we still sang, and people still played instruments. Better than nothing! 


2) Say it snowed at your domicile, would you prefer to go out or stay curled up inside?
Umm...okay, I'm sorry guys, but doing farm chores in the snow during the 2019 snowpocalypse kind of soured me on snow. So in general, I would stay curled up inside. Although, there are exceptions. Sledding is definitely an exception. I will do a lot for sledding. And if I'm in the right mood, I would definitely indulge in a snowball fight. And I mean, walking on unbroken snow is pretty fun. So. I mean. I would go out for a little bit? And then read for the rest of the day. 

3) Tea or hot chocolate?
Tea. Tea all the way. I'm sorry, but hot chocolate is just too sweet for me. I do drink it occasionally, but...tea? Tea I drink almost every day in the Fall, Winter, and Spring.

4) Favorite Christmas colors (i.e. white, blue, silver, gold, red and green etc)?
Blue, white, and gold. Together. I think red and green are a little overdone. :)


5) Favorite kind of Christmas cookie?
WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME? *ahem* Sorry, I just love Christmas cookies in general, and asking me to chose a favorite is cruel and unusual punishment. But since you asked: Gingerbread cookies. Any kind. The spicier the better. 


6) How soon before Christmas do you decorate (more specifically, when does your tree go up)?
On the first Sunday of Advent, we put up the tree, but don't put anything on it. At the same time, we do Advent decorations (wreath, Christmas card hangers, purple garlands, Nativity scene minus Baby Jesus). On various feast days throughout the month, we add things to the tree--
St. Nicholas Day: Candy Canes
St. Ambrose: Bee ornaments
Our Lady of Guadalupe: Paper Roses
St. Lucy: Lights

We don't actually decorate for Christmas until Christmas Eve, when we put up lights around the house, stockings, and ornaments on the tree. Baby Jesus gets added to the Creche after Christmas Mass on Christmas Eve. :)


7) Three favorite traditional Christmas carols?
My favorite traditional Christmas carols sometimes fluctuate, but these three are pretty consistently favorites:
Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming
Adeste Fideles
What Child Is This

I feel like these are very Catholic song choices. XD

8) A favorite Christmas song (i.e. something you might hear on the radio)?
*Thinks* *thinks harder* *turns on the radio to try to find something*. Ah! I'm partial to "Silver Bells" and "Mr. Grinch". 

Animated GIF
9) A favorite Christmas movie?
You're asking me to choose...one? Okay, I guess I'll say White Christmas, which is one that my family watches most years, and which never gets old. I love the singing and dancing, and the plot, and the setting...I could keep going. Great movie. :)

10) Have you ever gone caroling?
I believe so? I think my choir + families of choristers caroled in a botanical garden once. It was fun! 

11) Ice skating, sledding, skiing, or snow boarding?
Sledding all the way! I've never been skiing or snow boarding (do you know how much that would costs when you're one of five kids? A lot, that's how much.) and ice skating is kind of boring, but SLEDDING! It is thrilling, and fun, and nippy, and dangerous (I once ran my head into a tree at full speed...long story. I was fine) and I have loved it since I was a very small girl indeed.

The Jello is on the left side of the table, behind the stuffing. :)
12) Favorite Christmas feast dish?
Well...my Dad makes a bubbly Jello salad every year--orange Jello made with sparkling water with mandarin slices and strawberries--and that's probably my favorite. Although my Mom also makes a butternut squash salad with fennel and bacon that's AMAZING.

(see the bottom of the post for nominations)


My second tag is from Skye Hoffert (thanks Skye!) and is called the Christmas Tag 2020. This one does have rules, which...I may or may not be breaking. Gratuitously. It'll be great. 

Praecepta
Put on your favorite Christmas Playlist to listen to while answering! (Imma break this one, since I'm watching lambing videos instead. I am a caricature of myself. XD) 
Have a Christmas drink and/or snack while writing (also breaking this one, because it's Advent, and we don't have Christmas drinks/snacks in the house. Well, we do, but they're kinda locked up. XD)
Thank the blogger who tagged you and link to their site
Answer the 9 original questions
Answer the questions set by whoever tagged you
Ask 2 questions of your own
Tag 6 bloggers to take part


When do your decorations go up?
I answered this above in more detail, but...
Advent decorations: First Sunday of Advent
Christmas decorations: Christmas Eve
(And my siblings like to have the wise men actually journeying to the creche. Like, on the bookshelves. XD)

If money were no object, how and where would you spend Christmas?
Probably somewhere in Great Britain, honestly! I would go to Midnight Mass in a really old church, walk back to where I was staying through the fields in the snow under the stars while singing carols, and then sleep in really late. 

What Christmas film do you have to watch every festive season?
Hmm...we actually tend to rotate our Christmas films quite a bit, but we do watch The Nativity Story most years, and I love that one. Although their portrayal of Mary is quite doctrinally incorrect, I love Joseph and St. Elizabeth SO MUCH. The movie is so funny, yet generally a good representation of the story, as well! I love the wise men most of all. 

Who do you find the hardest to buy presents for?
Mom and Dad! They don't really need much, and they don't make wish lists or make requests very often...so it's hard for me to come up with ideas! 


Would you rather buy lots of little presents for a hamper, or buy one big/main present?
I like the idea of making/receiving hampers, BUT they are a lot of work, so I would rather buy one big present. 

What did you leave out for Santa when you were a child?
We never did Santa when I was little, so we never left out anything. 

Where did you spend last Christmas?
At home, where we have spent every single Christmas of my life. (Yes, that's right--we have never traveled for the holidays).

Which Christmas song makes you cringe?
Okay, I'm going to say two, because I'm a negative person. XD 
1. "Carol of the Bells" I love the music, but the words are ridiculous--the music belongs as the theme in a symphony, not with weird words to it. #mytwocents
2. "All I Want For Christmas Is You" I'm a bit on the fence about this one, because...it is, as modern slang would have it "a bop". But no matter how catchy it is...the words? What even? So facetious and weird. 

Animated GIF
If you could be a character in a holiday movie, who would you be and why?
*Makes confused face* all the characters in holiday movies have so many problems! But honestly, the Grinch in the animated Grinch. That would be SO fun. (Plus, my family is convinced that I'm the Grinch, so there's that. Long story, and it's not because of my lack of holiday spirit! Okay, maybe it is a little. *grins*)

Have you ever had a White Christmas?
Yes, in 2018! I don't know that I can remember any other White Christmases as long as I've been alive, so it was pretty magical. We walked out of the Vigil Mass, and it had started to lightly snow, and it was beautiful. And then in the morning we basically ignored our presents and went sledding. It was the BEST. 

Is your tree real or fake?
It's fake! My parents got it on sale the January after their first Christmas married, and we've had it for, like, 17 years. It's great. 

Choose a holiday drink: Spiced Apple Cider or Eggnog?
Spiced Apple Cider! Is this even a question? (I mean, I can't drink eggnog, so there's that, but Apple Cider is AMAZING. 


My two questions:
1. What does your family usually do on Christmas Eve?
2. What are some of your favorite Christmas books?


I'm not going to tag people separately for these, so instead I'm going to tag six people, and they can either do both, or pick one. Sound good? Great.

Tagees:

Merry Christmas to all, and to all...a lovely day. :)

What's your favorite Christmas book? What do you think of The Nativity Story? What's your favorite family Christmas tradition? 

Comments

  1. I love the idea of decorating for Advent! I always mean to...and forget. Every. Single. Year. *le sigh* In my church we have the wise men "journey" in a way, meaning that they are in a separate place, then they switch with all of the shepherds which go there like they are "journeying" to tell the Good News! Well, I don't think they did that this year because I haven't been there since March (which really is the saddest thing, but it isn't an option for my family right now). I heard they were using as much space as possible to spread people out, so that probably didn't happen.

    Ah, I love "Adeste Fideles". <3

    That gif of Bob and Phil is so perfect because I watched that yesterday with my family! (Not my mom, as she doesn't like it). Knowing her I get why, but still, it's soooooo good! XD

    *groans* One of my mom's favorite Christmas songs is "All I Want For Christmas Is You" and I get so so so so tired of it. But then again, she probably gets tired of my sisters and I constantly playing Pentatonix. Lol.

    Thanks for the tag! I hope that you have a lovely 12 Days of Christmas, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I get that, for sure. If it was just me, I probably wouldn't do it, and as it is, my family does it mostly while I read. I like the way it looks, though! Ooh, I love the idea of switching the wise men and shepherds! I'll have to relay that to my siblings. :) I'm sorry to hear you haven't been to church since March...and I hope you're able to go back soon!

      Such a good song. <3

      Yay! We haven't watched it yet this year, but I'm sure it'll be on the list for some time in the next twelve days. :)

      *groans with you* I can maybe deal with hearing that song once...I can't imagine hearing it all the time!

      You're welcome! I hope you have a great 12 Days of Christmas as well, MC!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for doing the tag!
    You prefer tea to hot chocolate too. There's just so many varieties.
    Your dad's bubbly jello salad sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome!
      *high five* tea twins!
      It is!

      Delete
  3. SLEDDING IS THE BEST. THAT'S JUST A FACT. *clears throat* I love the idea of Advent, but, like MC, I always forget to do it.
    *shudders* I can't stand All I Want for Christmas Is You
    Mostly because I'm just TIRED of it, but also because I just don't like the lyrics either.
    I love these tags! They're so fun. Hope you had a Merry Christmas (two days late, but still).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT IS A FACT! Well, one doesn't have to *decorate* for Advent to *do* Advent, per se. :)
      Yech, I can't stand AIWFCIY either.
      They were very fun! Thank you, I hope you had a Merry Christmas as well! And it's still Christmas, technically!

      Delete
  4. This was so fun to read!
    I loved your description of your 2018 white Christmas.
    Putting up decorations on specific days sounds so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad!
      Thank you! It was a fun year.
      It is! It adds a lot of fun to the waiting before Christmas. :)

      Delete
  5. Fun answers! You can't go wrong with gingerbread and White Christmas.

    Maybe the words to "Carol of the Bells" seem weird to you because they're translated from Ukrainian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree. :)

      That could definitely be it!

      Delete
  6. I was hoping I'd get one of these tags eventually :) We don't have that many Advent decorations, just the advent calendars and my Jesse Tree (which I forgot about this year, oops).
    See, I actually like Carol of the Bells, even with the words...but that's just my own two cents.
    And I love White Christmas to death :)

    Thank you for tagging me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope you enjoy! :) We don't have a ton of Advent decorations either, just Jesse Tree, calendars, and wreath, plus a couple of purple garlands, if we're so-minded. :)
      Well, to each their own, of course!
      I know, isn't it great?

      You're very welcome!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!