The Messy Desk Project

This is not my usual kind of post. That's what I'm going to start with. But I was inspired by Bethany's Messy Desk Tag, and decided that a slight rework of that tag would work perfectly for today's post. Because, you see, this year, I did a photography project. I probably haven't mentioned it? But, I took a picture every day, with the goal of moving to being able to shoot on full manual. (And it was very successful! I'm not excellent at manual yet, but I love the amount of control I can get).
Some days, it was easy to find a subject, but on other days, it got to be late afternoon, and all I had to photograph was...my desk. And after a few repetitions of this, I thought it was funny to take pictures of my messy desk. And occasionally, of my clean desk. But mostly my messy desk. And then I thought, HA! This would work for a fun post, if I added snarky comments. So, here we go! 

I'm sorry that the first picture is with me in the way... And also sorry if the open book is painful, but it's such a good one! 
Haha, this is when my obsession with Lewis and Tolkien biographies/works took over my desk. Its rightful place, of course.
See? It got a bit ridiculous, but it was also AMAZING. (See if you can spot Return of the King. :D)
Annnnnd the Tookish Candle stack! (Until they got discolored from the sun. Brilliant, Sam. Just brilliant.)
Probably the messiest the desk was in awhile...and then I moved a bunch of the books, but still messy. 
And then I got several things I wanted to put on my desk for my birthday, so I cleaned up my act (sort of XD)
Beeswax! From our hive! Plus a large TBR in the one picture, and a large knife in the other (don't worry--it's a gardening knife)
Eomer is looking over my shoulder and tells me I shouldn't've eaten upstairs...true. That might be where the ants came from. 
Nadine Brandes and lots of papers! + My bujo and the lovely socks Legolas made me. 
Sorry, another open book! Can't help myself. And there's the bunny! She loves the space under my desk. (Dislikes my feet, tho.)
Annnndddd here's where I start my art class ridiculousness. Yeah. Try to spot the still life. XD
And Christmas embroidery and a Bio experiment are added! (That's the petri dishes). Cuz this is a normal spot for Bio. Obvs.
The first one is actually an Art reference photo. XD And in the second one, the candles are back! + Latin, b/c, Latin. 

This was a lot of fun for me, hope you enjoyed it as well!

Does your desk look like this, or is it always clean? :) Do you recognize any of the books? Have you ever had as much "research material" on your desk as I had during the Lewis-and-Tolkien research period? How is your Advent going?

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed this post.
    Oh, yes. My desk is constantly messy. In fact, almost ALL of my things are constantly messy. It takes a lot of effort for me just to MAKE MY BED, which is kind of ridiculous.
    And, ooh, you're such a good photographer. What kind of camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad!
      I'm in the same boat with my bed...since it's in the basement anyway, I hardly ever bother to make it. XD
      Thank you! I use a Canon EOS Rebel XTi, which is a bit antiquated, but I love it anyway. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the manual setting! I have no idea what I'm actually doing, but the freedom of it is amazing.

    Also I love your desk. It has an in motion energy to it that's really fun and aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! It makes me feel like I know what I'm actually doing. :)

      Thank you! It does kind of feel in-motion, doesn't it?

      Delete
  3. This is such a cool concept. I love how the items vary and the books stack up.
    It's like a domestic study or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love watching the books stack up, too. XD
      You're so right!

      Delete
  4. LATIN. (i must be a nerd if that made me happy...) (but LATIN.)

    Haha, Sam....your messy is a very well-organized and aesthetic messy indeed. (My desk's messy is more like, "oh, none of the girls knew where they wanted to put this wad of yarn/notebook/bobby pin/broken toy so it got put on Megan's desk." I should really go upstairs and clean the poor thing. X))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *is a nerd with you, because LATIN*

      Haha, I have heard that before. (It doesn't always feel that way to me...but y'know.) I'm lucky that my desk isn't in any major thoroughfare of the house where people can drop stuff on it, otherwise mine would definitely be in the same boat as yours. XD

      Delete
  5. I have never seen so many books on one desk. XD I love that your desk was what you started to take pictures of when you had nothing else. XD Thanks for sharing with us! I share a desk with my sisters, and it's usually "clean", but not a lot of room to do anything. I have a shelf where I keep all my school work, and that is NEVER clean. Looking over at it now, it is a disaster...maybe I should fix that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...you can tell I'm a book dragon, can't you? XD
      You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed seeing it. I can't imagine sharing a desk with my sisters...too much angst and argument would result.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!