Review: "The False Prince" by Jennifer A. Nielsen


Legolas got this one for Christmas and told me that the MC reminded her of Eugenides, so obviously I had to read it. Once I started, I realized that I had read it a long while ago, but I had forgotten most everything about it...so it was pretty much like coming to it fresh, and I think I enjoyed it more this time around. :) 

In a discontented kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

Worldbuilding/Writing Style
The worldbuilding in this book was fairly typical fantasy: kingdom, royal family, nobles, squalid medieval-ish cities, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that...and it did work well with the story. The writing style was not super noticeable as being either good or bad. :) 

Plot
The plot is interesting in that, while a lot of time is given to the boys' "prince lessons", it almost never gets boring. There's always some conflict, some problem, some danger, that spices up the mundane-ness of those lessons (inasmuch as learning what one needs in order to survive is mundane...). And the end, with its twists, is intriguing. I will say, I did figure out the twist ahead of time. Then again, I am intimately familiar with the Queen's Thief series, which has many twists similar to the one in this book, so it was easier for me to recognize.

Characters
I think the characters are where this book shines. Nielsen does a really good job of not making them too similar. Four orphans...it would have been easy for her to make them similar. And yet, they're not. Sage, Tobias and Roden are all very different, despite having similar characteristics in terms of appearance. They're all very motivated, but they approach their job of learning to be the prince in very different ways. And this makes them extremely, exceedingly interesting, especially in contrast with each other.
But it's Sage who makes the book. For the longest time, you can't find out how he's motivated, since he agrees to be "recruited", but seems to resist Conner at every turn. He's complicated, tricksy, but also charistmatic, and he cares about people. He reminds me--and Legolas--of Eugenides from The Queen's Thief, albeit a slightly less tricky, more immature, and more hotheaded Eugenides. Very, very fun to follow as the POV character and MC. 

Romance
Not really any to speak of.

Content
Some gore, brief torture scene, deaths. 

Overall Rating
I'm waffling between 3.5 and 4 stars, but upon consideration, I'll give it four. :)

Reminds me of...
The Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner (although MWT's setting is much more creative. :D).

What's your favorite book with a tricksy narrator? What about your favorite book with a classic fantasy setting? Have you ever started to read a book only to remember that you had already read it a long time ago?

Comments

  1. I just read The False Prince a month or two ago. The ending I did NOT expect!!! But I really enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the ending is so twisty!! But really good!

      Delete
  2. Oh I've meant to read this one! I tried checking it out from the library a couple times and they never had it available so I haven't gotten to it yet. I'll have to remember this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not usually a fan of medieval esque things, but I love a trickster character so might read it for Sage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fun book. The same friend who got me to read the Queen's Thief books got me to read this one too, actually? but without ever mentioning that Sage was like Gen? And so I never even thought about the similarity till someone pointed it out to me later.
    I figured out the plot twist too, really early on, but then I was like, "nah. That'd be stupid. This book is a good book and won't do that." So then I was still taken aback by the plot twist, and it turned out that it wasn't stupid, and that was nice. xD
    One of my favorite things about this book is Conner! He's such a good villain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! Oh, that's cool! I didn't see it either, until Legolas pointed it out to me.
      The thing is, Sage *thinks* and *talks* like Gen in the unreliable-narrator sort of way, so it's not hard to pick up that there's going to be an unreliable narrator twist. XD
      He's an excellent villain for sure!

      Delete
  5. Yay, I've actually read this one! I really liked it. Sage was the absolute best. I really loved all the characters, though. Great review. It's a really good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, nice! Sage is definitely the best, but all the characters are well-drawn! Thank you! It definitely is!

      Delete
  6. I saw this post and had to click on it because I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK. The whole series is fantastic!! (although I do have some qualms with the newest 4th book, but that is a whole other conversation XD)

    Sage is my FAVORITE!! The continual snark, the bad-boy-yet-not vibes, the cockiness <3 <3 Ok, I'll stop fangirling now ;)

    Are you planning to read the rest of the series? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the other books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SO GOOD!

      Sage is the BEST! I know, his snark is my FAVORITE, and the way he's cocky yet soft...<3 you can fangirl as long as you want. :)

      I'm not sure at this point...I started the second one and was a bit skeptical, but my sister is really enjoying them, so I think I'll try again...once I'm done with my thousand-page book for literature class. XD

      Delete
  7. I've heard this book mentioned A LOT, but I never actually knew what it was about, so I was glad to read this review! What you said about the characters does have me interested now.

    You didn't remember that you'd read it before, lol! I've never had that happen, but it just shows the sheer amount of books that you go through. XD I have had where I don't remember what happened so it's like a new book (which is fun when there are a million twists!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could be of use! :) I think you might enjoy it, so let me know what you think, if you do read it!

      I know, it's always a bit of a facepalm moment when that does happen...but it doesn't happen very often. XD Generally yeah, I just forget what happens, which is for sure fun with twisty books!

      Delete
  8. I love this series! Have you read the rest of the books yet? I really recommend them. My favorite out of this series is the second book. I think Sage's personality really jumps out even more in the second and third book. He is more like Gen. I don't recommend, however, reading the fourth book. It was written years after the "trilogy" was completed. It doesn't make much sense and ruins the other books so I try to pretend it was never written haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the second one, but I've not ever read the third one. I do think he shows his Gen-ish-ness more in the second one!
      I was not ever planning on reading the fourth one--it really bugs me when authors try to add on to their work when it's finished already!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!