Review: "Illuminae" by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff

Going in, I expected a fairly quick, fun sci-fi read to give me a break from my heavier reads. HA. That's funny. This kept me on the edge of my seat, made me read in bed, and overall was a very suspenseful (but still fun!) read. Maybe would not recommend reading it on Christmas Eve when your family expects you to...actually help put up decorations and cook. 

Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the worst thing she’d ever been through. That was before her planet was invaded. Now, with enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra are forced to fight their way onto one of the evacuating craft, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.
 
But the warship could be the least of their problems. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet’s AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their biggest threat; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady plunges into a web of data hacking to get to the truth, it’s clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: Ezra.
 
Told through a fascinating dossier of hacked documents—including emails, schematics, military files, IMs, medical reports, interviews, and more—Illuminae is the first book in a heart-stopping, high-octane trilogy about lives interrupted, the price of truth, and the courage of everyday heroes.

Worldbuilding/Writing Style
As it turns out, I have a lot to say about the worldbuilding and writing style. First of all, the "world" is basically three space ships. And because of the writing style, we don't get to see a lot of the world in itself. But the sci-fi elements (the ships, the propulsion, the nuclear weapons, the mining colony) seemed realistic to me. Granted, I have never been on a large space ship, nor a distant planetary mining colony. The writing style, though--the writing style is why I picked the book up in the first place--I found a copy in a bookstore, looking inside, was hooked, and then like any self-respecting cheapskate, came home and got it from the library. XD In any case, it's told only through computer documents (and occasionally document documents) from dossiers to text threads to computer data. This does nothing to decrease the tension of the story--those dossiers from the Copernicus were terrifying. Chilling. Perfect. 

Plot
This seems like the classic "oh poor things, boy-and-girl are talking on separate space ships". Until it's "oh, there's a weird computer malfunction". Until it's "oh, this feels too much like 2020 with the pandemic-ness". Until it's "girl rescues boy". Until it's "umm...unexpected Turing Test-y-ness (as in Alan Turing's test)? And maybe death?". So, I mean--there were a lot of plot twists. I was totally not expecting the ones at the end. At all. They were crazy. But foreshadowed, now that I think about it, so not cheating. Wow. I loved the way the action rose and rose, and everything was interlocking...but the similarities to this year were a bit chilling. 

Characters
Kady is the best. She's a confident hacker who still needs her mom--a girl who has to grow up too fast. A computer nerd who has to be brave. A bundle of opposites. One would think it would be impossible to build a mental picture of someone from files alone...but it's not. She's so awesome. 
Ezra is also awesome, but he is such a boy. So. Clueless. I kind of love it, kind of hate it, but I can't say it's not realistic. XD
Talking about the other important character is spoilers so *highlight for spoilers* AIDAN. AIDAN's character was so interesting, because he is a computer. And I'm not sure I believe that computers could get that sentient. But at the same time, as the daughter of a computer programmer, I do know that neural networks are mysterious things, and not all of AIDAN's "life" (I don't know what to call it...) is impossible. I do, however, love the way he grapples with existence. In many ways, he's more philosophical than anyone else in the book. His ERROR messages were so poignant, too. *end spoilers*

Romance
I'm not sure if this is spoilers or not? So I'm just going to say, it's cute. 

Content
This is where it gets me. There's a lot of swearing, and while the actual swear words were blacked out, any "ing" or "s" or whatever were...not. Which, given that there are only a few words that can go with those letters, did nothing to stop my brain from filling in the gaps. Extremely irritating.
Also, there's reference to sexual activity, including viewing "inappropriate content", let's just say, and the...things that go with that. Not super explicit, but a bit much for me.
And all that is before the fairly explicit gore. And also, depictions of madness. So, yeah. 

Overall Rating
Without all the content, this would probably have been a four star book. With it, I'm forced to ding it to three stars, just because of the way all of that stuff destroyed my enjoyment a lot of the time. 

Reminds me of...
I don't know that I've ever read another book like this, but it does remind me of the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey (the middle third of which I would recommend, the rest...not so much XD) and the video game The Turing Test

Have you read this one? Do you have any other YA Sci Fi recommendations? Have you ever watched 2001: A Space Odyssey? Played Turing Test

Comments

  1. I've heard this book mentioned a lot but I didn't quite know what it was about so this was really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! I had heard a lot about it before reading it, too. :)

      Delete
  2. Love this review, Samantha! I felt the same way you did about this book - the content really dampered my enjoyment, but the story was great! And Ezra . . . Ezra is SO clueless, but I love him. XD

    (Are you planning on continuing the series?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole! I actually originally picked it because I had seen you talking about it on your blog! So thank you for the sort-of-recommendation. :) Ezra...definitely clueless, but so loveable.

      (I'm not sure yet...I really want to know what comes next, but I'm not sure if I want to read on with that level of content. So I'm on the fence.)

      Delete
    2. Haha, you're welcome! But yeah, sorry about the content . . . I so wish they hadn't included it. :(

      (From what I remember, Gemini was a LITTLE better on the content. Not much better, admittedly, but just a teeny tiny bit better. XD Maybe I was just more used to it, I don't know. I WILL tell you that while there isn't a sickness, there are really disgusting bug descriptions, soooo . . . *winces* *shrugs*)

      Delete
    3. Hmm, well, if it's a bit better, I may check it out then! (I also have to read Les Mis this month, which will definitely affect what else I can read. XD) I'm usually ok with bugs, so that should be okay...maybe. :)

      Delete
  3. Great review! I've heard Nicole talk about it on her blog, but never read it. It sounds interesting, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I heard Nicole talking about it, too, which is why I picked it up. :) Interesting for sure!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your review!! I'd wondered if I would like this series, namely because the formatting sounds awesome. I'm glad to read your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm glad I could be helpful! :)

      Delete
  5. Heyyy I read this book in December too! This is an excellent review and I pretty much agree with...most of it. Like, the swearing. I wouldn't have read it if it hadn't been blacked out, but um, I still know exactly what they're saying...
    And the CONTENT. Ugh. That's mostly why I'm debating reading the second one.
    But the format, and the Star-Trek-ness, and how creepy the whole thing was. Everything from the Copernicus. *clutches heart* It was REALLY good. I even liked Kady by the end, and I thought she was the most annoying heroine I'd ever had the misfortune to come across in the beginning.
    Ooh, and what you said about how possible AIDAN is?? That's really interesting. I know nothing about computers, but I'm not surprised that we don't COMPLETELY understand how all that works. Pretty cool, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heeyyy, reading twins! Thank you! I know, I feel like the blacked-out-ness gives a false sense of cleanness...
      Saaammmmeee.
      I know, the mood was excellent, and the Copernicus....argh! So good! Kady was kind of irritating in the beginning, but yeah, she was awesome at the end!
      It is pretty cool! Although it does kind of scare me that we don't know exactly how it all works...

      Delete
  6. Gaahh, this is one of my favourite sci-fi YA, like, EVER. Except I totally get you about the language...Other than that, I love this series so I hope you read the rest of it! Gemini is a bit more chill, but Obsidio is super intense. But Illuminae is probably going to be my favourite because AIDAN. (Which makes complete sense.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I can definitely see it becoming a favorite of YA sci-fi as well. :) I'll definitely have to look into the rest of it once I'm done with the thousand-page literature book I'm working on. XD
      AIDAN. AIDAN is kind of the best.

      Delete
  7. Another book that people mention yet I'm clueless about! Your reviews are really educating me. ;) The writing style sounds like I wouldn't be able to get into it, but I may be wrong. Grrr, content taking away your enjoyment is highly frustrating. I'm glad that I watched 2001 (and extremely glad that I read the book first because otherwise I would've had no idea what was happening) because it is referenced so much, but at the same time I nearly got sick from all of the flashing colors at the end. XD Not one I plan on revisiting anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm of use! ;) I like that kind of writing style, but I do understand that others might not. I knoooow I hate it when there's content in a book I otherwise love!
      I...didn't read the book before watching 2001, and definitely had no idea what was happening a lot of the time. XD I do find that it's a bit like the Greek epics of sci-fi in terms of the amount it gets referenced, though, so I'm also glad I watched it...but yeah, probably not going to watch it ever again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!