Pirate Blog Party Tag!


Hurrah for pirates! The lovely Rachel Kovaciny, aka Hamlette, is hosting a most wonderful We <3 Pirates week out of her blog Hamlette's Soliloquy, and I'm joining in today for the tag!

I'm sorry this post is a little later in the day than I usually do...that's what I get for trying a tag from a blog party on the very first day of the party. :)

For the record, also, I know very little about pirates, and I know this post is perhaps not my usual thing. But I love pirates in all the things I've seen and read them in, so we're doin' this thing! 

Without further ado, let's get to it!


Animated GIF
1.  What are your favorite pirate movies or books?
Pirates of the Caribbean! The first one--I haven't seen any of the other ones. Yet. Also, Guardians of the Galaxy. Because that definitely counts.


Animated GIF
2.  Who are your favorite fictional pirates?
The Dread Pirate Roberts, aka Westley, Captain Jack Sparrow, and Will Turner. (Are those most, if not all, of the fictional pirates I know? Yes. Am I sorry? No.)


Animated GIF
3.  What do you like best about pirate stories? (Themes, costumes, aesthetic, etc.)
THE SHIPS. I am literally just here for the ships and the sea and the sea battles. I love ships. (Plus, the swashbuckling aesthetic is also awesome.)

4.  If you were going to play a pirate on the stage or screen, what would your costume look like?
Um...I have not given a lot of thought to this, in my life! I think what I would do is have actually a maroon skort on the bottom (so, a skirt, with shorts underneath), a big billowy white shirt, and a long and slightly stained black coat over it all. Plus, a bandana to hold my hair back. And a mask. Because, masks. 

5.  What pirate ship would you like to serve on?
Honestly, Jack Rackham's ship the Colonial Dawn had two of the most well known female pirates on it, and they were best friends, I believe? So I would definitely go with that one. I mean, female pirate friendships. What's not to love?

6.  Any favorite sea shanties or pirate songs?
I love "Fiddler's Green". Always have. My aunt introduced it to me when I was very young, and it's remained a favorite. (I'm not sure which version I know? Because it seems like the traditional song called "Fiddler's Green" isn't the one I know and love. I'll have to ask my aunt at some point.) Also, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", which is probably the best sea shanty/ballad I know of. 

7.  Have you ever participated in International Talk Like a Pirate Day?
No! But that would be fabulous! If I started it, my whole family would follow, and we would have a ton of fun. *marks calendar for September 19* *realizes she'll be at college at that point* *cries*


Animated GIF
8.  Would you like to go sailing on a real tall ship?
YES. But also NO. I love ships, but I think an actual voyage on a ship would be terrifying in many particulars. (I have a bad feeling that I would be absolutely terrified of storms.) Also, I just know this question is a reference that I'm not getting. XD

9.  Have you ever learned anything about real pirates, or do you tend to stick to the fictional kind?
I've learned a little bit about real pirates! We've had several books about them out from the library from time to time, so I have a very vivid memory of learning about the one pirate who would set his beard on fire for fights, and I know a little bit about Anne Bonny and Mary Read (the female pirate best friends from question #5). 


Animated GIF
10.  Why is the rum gone?
*laughter* 


Does Guardians of the Galaxy count as a pirate movie? Are you also obsessed with ships? Do you know why the rum is gone?

Comments

  1. The first POTC movie remains the best. It's a classic. The rest are just kind of okay.

    If you're only going to know of three fictional pirates, those are three excellent choices!!!

    I love the ships too. Have you seen Master and Commander: Far Side of the World? Not about pirates, but it has simply breathtaking ship stuff.

    We need a good book about Anne Bonny and Mary Read, don't we? And then a movie version.

    I hope you get to participate in ITLAPD at some point! It's always such fun. I did it while working 3rd shift at Walmart for about 2 hours straight, and there was a lot of laughter happening.

    Blackbeard setting fuses in his beard and lighting them for battles terrified and fascinated me as a kid too!

    I think Guardians of the Galaxy does have a piratical flair to it, but I'd classify it as a super-hero movie or a sci-fi movie instead.

    I'm very obsessed with tall ships.

    Thanks for joining the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard varying things about the rest of them, so I still haven't decided if I'm going to watch any further. :)

      It's true!

      Yes, I LOVED that movie! It was the one that started my love affair with ship movies. I've actually been on the ship it was filmed on! That was pretty cool.

      We totally do! I want to know more about them, especially about their friendship!

      Oh, you participated in it at work? That sounds FANTASTIC!

      It's just such a crazy true historical fact! (Also, how on earth did he not *burn his beard off*? Like, surely the fuses would have caught the hair at some point?)

      True, it's definitely superhero/sci-fi! I guess I was mostly thinking about the Ravagers...

      Thank you for hosting the part!

      Delete
  2. I love your costume! You must get something like that together for Hallowe'en. Or Christmas. A Pirate Christmas party - just the thing! Pirates add fun to things. Yo-ho-ho and a cup of egg nog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, that's a great idea! It would definitely be a fun and easy Halloween costume. And a pirate Christmas party is also a great idea! Hmm...I'll have to save that for later. :)

      Delete
  3. I feel like Guardians of the Galaxy qualifies as space pirates. Pirates of the Caribbean is my favorite too. I need to find more pirate things. Glad you remembered the Dread Pirate Roberts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, that's what I thought! Yeah, this party is making me realize how much more I have to learn about pirates.
      How could I forget my favorite swashbuckler? :)

      Delete
  4. The original PotC is stellar, but my favorite is the second one! Sometimes in a "trilogy" the middle story can be boring a just a journey from A to B, but not Dead Man's Chest! It is sooooooo good! I recommend it for sure.

    Yes! Someone agrees with me! I thought of Guardians of the Galaxy but wasn't sure. Now I am! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, okay! I've heard mixed things about the sequels for PotC, but since you literally *review movies* as your "thing", I'm going to trust your opinion on this! I adored the first one enough that since you recommend the second one, I will enthusiastically go watch it! *whispers* As soon as I finish up with the MCU.

      Yes! Space pirates for the win!

      Delete
  5. This was so fun to read! Excellent GIF usage, too.
    Guardians of the Galaxy definitely counts in my opinion, too. Space pirates are some of the best kind.
    I adore your list of favorite pirates (because they're all favorites of mine, too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you!
      Space pirates are excellent!
      Ooh, yay! May I say, you have excellent taste when it comes to pirates. :)

      Delete
  6. Loved this!! Pirates are just fun really. The pirate setting his beard on fire sounds really familiar and I can't remember who it is. Blackbeard maybe? I'll have to look it up at some point or it's going to bother me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They really are. I think it was Blackbeard...but I could be wrong. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!