Review: "Memories of Glass" by Melanie Dobson

When Miss K reviewed this one on her blog, I decided it was worth a try reading, even though I don't always like books set in two different times! (If you want to see Miss K's review, click HERE!) And I ended up really enjoying it, so I'm so glad I tried it out! 

1942. As war rips through the heart of Holland, childhood friends Josie van Rees and Eliese Linden partner with a few daring citizens to rescue Eliese’s son and hundreds of other Jewish children who await deportation in a converted theater in Amsterdam. But amid their resistance work, Josie and Eliese’s dangerous secrets could derail their friendship and their entire mission. When the enemy finds these women, only one will escape.

Seventy-five years later, Ava Drake begins to suspect that her great-grandfather William Kingston was not the World War II hero he claimed to be. Her work as director of the prestigious Kingston Family Foundation leads her to Landon West’s Ugandan coffee plantation, and Ava and Landon soon discover a connection between their families. As Landon’s great-grandmother shares the broken pieces of her story, Ava must confront the greatest loss in her own life―and powerful members of the Kingston family who will do anything to keep the truth buried.

Worldbuilding/Writing Style
The setting in the past, WWII Holland/Netherlands, felt like it could grab me and drag me into it! Everything was extraordinarily well described, despite the fact that there are not long sections of description. I especially liked the use of small details to carry across a point, theme, or feeling. The setting in the present also felt realistic--I especially loved the library, and kind of wish there was actually one like that in the Netherlands that I could visit. (If anyone knows of a library that's built in an old multi-story row house with stained glass windows...tell me in the comments!)
One thing I really appreciated about the writing itself was that I felt equally invested in the past and present periods of the book. Often when reading a split-time book like that, I'm more interested in one period or the other, leading to boredom during the other parts...but there was none of that with this book! 

Plot
The plot is definitely where this book and this writer shine. It's compellingly written, with many compelling threads drawing together in a fairly unpredictable way. It's almost a mystery, as well as being a historical fiction. Due to that, there were parts where I had to concentrate hard to remember who was who, but I'm not going to complain because a book made me think. :) I loved, loved, loved the plot of Josie and Eliese sneaking the children out of the theatre to safety, and I also loved everything that came after, as well. I especially appreciated that the taking-children-to-safety was actually based on history--so cool!
I don't know that I notice this all that often, but the first scene of the book set up the rest of it perfectly, which I thought was very impressive.
And I loved the ending! That's not necessarily all that common for a WWII book. :) 

Characters
The characters are an interesting piece of the book. Those in the present were really well fleshed out--Ava is compelling, and her family is despicable but interesting. Landon is sweet, and his family is lovely! However, in the past, I thought the characters were slightly on the stereotype side...two siblings with the Resistance, their friend the Jewish girl, and their friend the unreadable possibly-a-hero-possibly not. Not that this made them any less interesting to follow, but it kind of felt like the author stuck each of them (especially the two girls) with a couple of "likes", and then made them...do stuff. One specific quibble is that I never really felt like Eliese connected with her *spoiler* son *end spoiler*. This, I think, could have been fixed quite easily with a wee bit of showing-not-telling. Just my opinion. There were a couple of other moments like that which made me think that the author was definitely writing in a plot-driven way, rather than a character-driven way. Not that there's anything specifically wrong with that, it's just my observation. 

Romance
There is a wee bit? But while it's important to the plot, it's not especially prominent. None of the couples in the past were really "shippable", but the couple in the present...very, very cute. :)

Content
There's really not a lot, for a WWII book. Some innuendo, some death (non-graphic), and descriptions of detention camps within Holland. 
I will note that I have been to Auschwitz and certain minor mentions of the atrocities of the Nazis were sliiiiightly anxiety-producing. But not necessarily in a bad way. (Those who are ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it, after all). For those who haven't been there, those particular mentions are probably not a big deal...but I though I would mention it, just in case. 

Overall Rating
I think I'll give this one 3.5 stars! Very enjoyable. 

Reminded me of...
Hmm...in parts, it reminded me of Corrie ten Boom's The Hiding Place, mostly because of the setting in WWII Netherlands. But the parts in the present often reminded me of Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter (except without the theft part. Mostly.)

What are some of your favorite WWII books? Do you like books that are in two different times? Do you prefer character-driven or plot-driven books?

Comments

  1. Thanks for the mention! I'm glad you enjoyed my review and this book. :) I wasn't sure that I'd like it because I haven't read many books that switch time periods. Josie and Eliese's story line was one of my favorite parts too. However, my favorite World War II book is still Anne Frank. Wait, you've actually been to Auschwitz?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I know, the time-switching was the thing that gave me pause, too. :) Anne Frank is a good one! I don't know that it's one of my *favorite* books, but it was definitely eye-opening. Yes, I have! My choir went to Poland in 2019, and that was one of our stops.

      Delete
  2. Whoa, whoa, whoa. You've been to Auschwitz?? How and when did that happen? (Don't feel obliged to reply, you can just smile mysteriously and leave us all wondering. ;) I'm merely curious...) Huh, yours and Miss K's two recommendations for this book really do have me intrigued. *goes to see where I can find a copy*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! My choir went on an international tour in 2019 to Poland and the Czech Republic, and got to see a lot of really cool things...including Auschwitz. Which wasn't so much cool as...deeply tragic and kinda scarring. (But we did get to see St. Maximilian Kolbe's martyrdom site. Which was pretty cool.) It's a place where you can really feel the evil that took place there, even though it's long gone...the land remembers, almost. Which sounds kooky, but it's kind of true. (Especially given that the ashes of the dead were used as fertilizer for the surrounding countryside...).
      If you read it, I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. I was so interested in your review that I didn't see your questions at the end. XD My favorite WWII book is The Book Thief because... that's the only one I can think of right now. *facepalm* When it comes to reading, WWI is more my specialty, but when it comes to movies I watch ones more centered around WWII than WWI. My favorite book in two different times is Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick because it a had a perspective on something I hadn't thought of before. And last question, I prefer character-driven plots much better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, The Book Thief. So good, yet so, tragic! (I think I need to reread it at some point. We'll see.) Ooh, I haven't actually read that many WWI books...do you have any good recommendations? I've never heard of Wonderstruck--I'll have to check it out!
      Yeah, I prefer character-driven plots, too. :)

      Delete
    2. Well, I think you've read my two favorite WWI books: Moon Over Manifest and Rilla of Ingleside. :) Now after all my bragging I can't think of too many others...
      Ah, I just saw on Goodreads that you read Wonderstruck! I'm glad you liked it! :D

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, those two are so good! If you think of any more...you know where to find me. :)
      Oh, it was you who recommended it to me! Now I remember (and I see it up above...)! It's so crazy that you recommended it, not knowing all the Deaf culture connection! Because that was a huge part of what I loved about the book, being in ASL class this quarter and all. But also, the narrative style was just brilliant. So thank you so much for the recommendation! (And now I'm off to go edit my Goodreads review to credit you...)

      Delete
  4. *gasps* You went to Auschwitz? That's so cool.
    This book's title sounds intriguing, XD.
    It looks interesting, too. I'll have to read this at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure did! It was...both cool and scarring. (Which is as it should be.)
      Yep! And the theme of the title gets worked into the book, too!
      I hope you enjoy it, if you pick it up!

      Delete
  5. I went to a Holocaust museum when I was on a mission trip, and it's something that really sticks with you. I can't imagine how Auschwitz must have been.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does stick in your memory and the way you think about things.
      Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!