Baby Goats: Round 1!


Is anything better than baby goats? I think not.

We had some new members join our herd yesterday at a little after noon! I'm writing this up pretty late, with only the pictures that were taken during kidding, so I'll probably have better pictures for this month's wrap-up. :)

Before I dive into the babies, a few words of approbation for the proud mama: Cassie was an absolute champ! All the babies were super healthy sizes, she didn't need any assistance with delivery, cleaned them all off really well, and is nursing them like an old pro. (Which, I mean, she is. But that doesn't take away from my appreciation.)


This was the first kid out, a little doe! We're calling her Cascade (Cade or Cady for short). Her full registered name will be 3 Angels ST Blue Cascade. :) She seemed really little, but is actually a good size for a Nigerian, 3 lbs. 8 oz.! She's a cou clair with abundant white (color pattern technical terms XD), and she has blue eyes! She is ADORABLE (do you see that little floppy ear?!) and a great snuggler.


This is the second kid, a little buck! We're tentatively calling him Caspian. He's the biggest, at 4 lbs., 5 oz.! His color pattern is like his mama's, chamoise with abundant white, and blue eyes. He is a great sleeper, but feisty when it comes to cuddles. :)


After those two, Cassie took a break of about forty-five minutes to clean the kids and relax a bit. Dora does not appreciate having three new tiny roommates, and has made that abundantly clear. By screaming louder than Cassie did during labor any time there isn't a human in the goat shed. XD

After that break, we got another little buckling! Another big one, 4 lbs., 1 oz.! He also has technically the same color pattern as mom, but with a lot less white. He looks like several other babies we've had out of her, but is at the same time, uniquely adorable! And another excellent snuggler. :) In terms of name, we're thinking either Bilbo or Frodo, and leaning towards Frodo.


It was lovely to have them born during the day--we had plenty of time to make sure everyone was doing well, and then we had five different groups of people come to see them! It was good fun, but I am absolutely bushed, and going to head off to put animals to bed, and then hopefully watch some Marvel. :) So not a super long post today, but I hope y'all enjoy seeing the pictures of the babies!


Have you ever gotten to snuggle a baby goat? Do you like the names? Have you ever seen a birth of any kind?

Comments

  1. THEY ARE SO CUTE! And Cascade is the PERFECT NAME AAH.
    I have never gotten to snuggle a baby goat (rip) but have snuggled calves, chicks, ducklings, kittens, puppies and even a foal once! (Adds note to "Plans for World Domination": Pet baby goat!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think so, too! And thank you!! We like it a lot. :)
      Ooh, I've never snuggled a calf or a foal *adds to bucket list* (given that I'm hoping to study Animal Science, I'm guessing that foal and calf snuggling isn't too far in my future...hopefully!). Petting baby goats is definitely key for world domination. XD

      Delete
  2. Caspian is the cutest baby animal I have ever seen!!! *heart eyes* I've cuddled dogs, cats, and chickens, but that's it. Ack! Now I want to hug and pet all of these!! Thanks for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW he is ADORABLE! I hope someday you get an opportunity to hang out with baby goats. :) You're welcome!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh the baby goats!!! It's been so long since I've seen a baby goat!!! They are so cute!!! And your guys' naming system is so fantastic!!! *dances around with joy*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they?!! I always forget how tiny and squishable they are. Thank you!!! *joins you in your dance*

      Delete
  4. How adorable! I've petted baby goats, but not ones this young. The only births I've attended, though, have been the three I was doing myself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh well, bigger baby goats are better than none. XD
      Ah, yes, that makes sense. ;)

      Delete
  5. They are HERE and they are ADORABLE. My cousins had goats for several years, and we always got to help with the kids. My little sister was just loudly proclaiming the other day that someone in the family needs to have goats again :)
    Congratulations on these adorable babies! (And send my congratulations on to Cassie!)
    (And ask Dora if that's really called for, my goodness XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are! Oh, that's so cool! Tell your little sister that she's got the right idea. ;)
      Thank you! (And I will. :))
      (We've tried asking her that, and she pays no attention. XD)

      Delete
  6. BABY GOATS! *squeals* They're all sooooo cute. You got some great pictures (and great names, too).
    I don't think I've ever gotten to pet baby goats.....just adult ones, and lots of other animals.
    Oh, Dora, was that really necessary? I can definitely sympathize with you. One of our goats loudly grunts and rams her head into things (and people) if she isn't getting what she wants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *joins your squealing* Aww, thank you!
      Adult goats are fun, too, for sure!
      Well, I mean, Cassie her roommate had triplets and hadn't told her that she was pregnant, so maybe it was warranted? In her eyes, at least? XD Oof, yeah, we've had ones that did something like that. It was kind of a pain.

      Delete
  7. They're so cute it hurts! Especially Caspian in his little shirt thing, but they're all adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? He is totally adorable, and is also the one who has been "popping around" most, which is just heart-clutchingly cute. :)

      Delete
  8. So cute!! Their names are great, especially Frodo and Caspian. It's been much too long since I've seen any baby goats. The county fairs of 2019 were the last time I've been up close to any farm animals. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We like the names--although we've been calling the little brown one Little Bear most recently. :) (Eomer wanted to name him Loki, and Galadriel and Gandalf wanted to name him Frodo, so Little Bear was the compromise. XD). Ahhh I missed going to the fair so much in 2020! I hope you get to be near some farm animals soon. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!