If I Was A Fictional Character//Taggish Thing

WHY do I look so young in this picture. It's literally from October. XD
Hey guys! Today's post is a fun thing that I stole *cough* borrowed from MK @ Sarcastic Scribblings! She did a post in January where she took a set of what I assume are character building questions (correct me if I'm wrong, MK) and answered them--about herself! And it looked so fun that I had to give it a go! When she did the post, she answered most of the questions in the first person, but I had so very much fun writing the answer to the first question in third person that I continued that way for the rest of the post. XD So, I hope you enjoy hearing about Me As A Fictional Character! 

One quick thing before we start: one of our goats is due this week (I'm expecting her to kid today, honestly...unless she kidded yesterday and I was just too sleep deprived to remember to change this. I'm writing this in advance, if you couldn't tell. XD), so I will probably not be as responsive to comments as normal. (And YES of COURSE you will get baby goat pictures on Monday. Is that even a question?)

Share a snippet that involves description of their appearance
(Yes, this sounds like 19th century literature. Sue me. It was fun to write.)

While our heroine completes her chores for the moment, we shall watch her and see what we can learn.

Her eyes, as she runs them over the pregnant goat, assessing body condition, size, and balance, are a dark green, with a gold circle around the pupil. She squints slightly, in an expression of concentration that not many people have actually seen--not even herself.
Though her eyes are green now, they actually change color on a fairly regular basis, depending on how old she is and what she's wearing, a trait she inherited from her mother. The gold ring around the pupil, also an inheritance from her mother, is the only constant.

As the goat walks away, she raises one eyebrow, an expression that seems to fit her face. Which is fortuitous, given the frequency with which it graces her brows. 

Her hair, very dark brown, thick, and an intermediate length, is currently pulled back in a flyaway ponytail, the hairdo that's her go-to for any occasion. As a result of her having pulled on her crimson sweatshirt, which accentuates her eyes, hair curls in little wisps around her forehead. Since she just washed her hair yesterday, parts of the ponytail also curl, these in big loose locks, while other parts of it only curve slightly at the ends. 

Over the sweatshirt, she wears a navy pair of overalls, her habitual outfit for working with the goats. If she wasn't wearing them, you would be able to see a pair of jeans, the same ones she wore last week, and probably the week before that. They're not dirty, and thus, she keeps wearing them. 

Those who pay attention to these things might notice that she has on no makeup, a state that almost never changes, and that her nose is slightly too big for her face, when viewed in profile, though it fits it rather well when viewed from the front. 

Overall, she gives the air of someone who cares about utility, rather than beauty, in her appearance, though, like Buttercup, she might be prettier if she cared to try. Although, unlike Buttercup, even if she did try, she could not possibly be considered the prettiest girl even in her home city, let alone the world. 

5 Ways to Win Her Friendship

1. Talk to her about books. Or movies. Or her favorite fandoms. 
2. Talk to her about Catholic history/Tradition/music/the list goes on.
3. Talk to her about the British literary tradition. (Lots of talking. She likes to talk.)
4. Give her a book. Or chocolate. Literary candles will also probably work. (She's not totally immune to bribes. Much as she would like to be.)
5. 
Read a book she recommends to you/recommends to someone in your hearing/you've ever heard her talking about.



Favorite Type of Weather
A clear, sunny, cool autumn day, with a thunderstorm that rolls in in the early evening and doesn't go away until bedtime. (Kinda like the weather in the picture, except minus the dog. She's not a huge fan of dogs.)


Food Quirks

She loves vegetables. Spinach. Broccoli. Brussels sprouts. Raw cabbage. Asparagus. Green beans. Everything that people make a cliché out of hating. 

Also, she thinks that a whole, raw Portobello mushroom makes an excellent breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner.

She likes Granny Smith apples better than any other kind, and she likes slightly soft apples better than very crisp ones.

On the other hand, she likes pears practically rock hard. If they get even a little soft, she finds them disgusting. (Yeah. She can be a bit inconsistent.)

She finds frozen vegetables (corn, peas, and green beans) and berries more addictive than fresh ones, most of the time. (Although she also loves fresh berries from the garden.)

She has been known to eat lemons and limes in a similar way to how normal people eat oranges. Yes, really. She is a fan of the sour. 

How often do they smile? Would they smile at a stranger?
She smiles quite a bit, despite the fact that she would like to be the kind of person who is taciturn and withdrawn. In terms of strangers, she would (and does) smile at strange babies at all times, but she wouldn't smile at a random stranger unless she and the stranger were required to be in a situation together (i.e. an elevator). And even then, it's maybe 50-50 whether she would smile in that event. And even if she did smile, she probably wouldn't say anything.

If they could travel anywhere in the world, where would they go?
Europe. Anywhere in Europe. Everywhere in Europe. Also, India. (She has been to Poland, and would like to go back there someday. But that's the extent of her world travel experience.)


What's their favorite food?
Raspberries. She has probably never shared a raspberry in her life--she eats them all, and has done so since she was a very small girl indeed. 

What is the most humiliating event of their life?

Despite being friendly and talkative, she would not tell anyone this. Possibly she has even blocked it out, herself. Most of her most embarrassing moments, though, involve saying something without thinking first. 


What habits, speech patterns, etc. are unique to them?
"Debatable." 

"True word!" or just "Word!"

"The thing is..." *extended explanation* 

She's physically incapable of teasing anyone with a straight face...the mischievous look in her eyes gives her away, and she always adds "I'm kidding, I'm kidding," when they start laughing. 

Also, she talks a lot. Generally very quickly. (This is not unique. But it is a fact.)

*talks very quickly about a tangent* "But anyway..." *goes back to normal talking speed*

Though she likes to think she's tactful...she actually has yet to learn to truly be tactful in conversation. This is fun for her, when she thinks back on her past conversations. XD


Are they a night owl or morning person?
Most assuredly a morning person. She loves to get up early, and at around 10 PM she becomes hopelessly goofy and useless. She usually tries to go to bed before that.

Describe your character's personality first in one word, and then elaborate with a few sentences
Well, the one word her dad likes to use to describe her is "tank-treads".
She does have a very direct personality with not a lot of tact, and is not afraid to do new things (usually). She does not display a lot of emotion and doesn't always realize when other people are (though she does have emotions). She likes to talk although can be a little shy with new people. Her brain rapidly hops from idea to idea, and she's very intuitive. In some ways. She's not very intuitive about emotions. Her opinions are almost always extremely strong (more on that in a moment). In other words, she's almost a textbook INTJ. :)


What sights, sounds, and smells are reminders of this character? 

To whom? Who are we trying to remind of this character? Hmmm...this question is very vague.

Well, her two favorite smells are roses (any kind, but especially "Golden Jubilee") and goat barns (wood shavings + orchard grass hay + baby goats + goat poop, yes really).

She loves to be in the woods of the PNW, and especially loves mountains, so maybe those sights? Also, goats, obviously. (She just really loves goats, y'all. How many times can she mention goats in one post? And now she's getting all meta. Wow.)

In terms of sounds...the "Dies Irae"? Quite possibly? Really any chant? Perhaps thunder? 

If they were an element (fire, water, earth, air), which one would they be?
Probably earth. Although she does love fire. Hence the fiery picture. :)


Quirks
She has never met something she didn't have an opinion about within thirty seconds. Her family tests this on a regular basis. She's never at a loss for an opinion. She even has opinions about most movies she hasn't seen, and most books she hasn't read. 

She likes to eat while reading--she thinks it makes both experiences better.

She tends to pick up languages fairly quickly, although she's not sure whether this is just because her brain is still plastic, or whether she's prone to being a polyglot. (So far she's fluent in English, can read the Bible in Latin, is beginning to be fluent in Spanish, and knows some Ancient Greek and ASL. And she doesn't think this is unusual. She would also love to learn Italian and Polish. Oh, and Welsh.)

She names her Kindles: the last one was Adele, her new one is called Lizzie.

She never chewed her nails as a kid, but she does so now. Especially while watching suspenseful Marvel movies. She's trying to stop, because she literally put a dent in her tooth.

She does not like to look at/watch/read anything that takes away from her idea of a character for her favorite books and movies. This means no fanart (for books), no behind the scenes videos (for movies), nothing. (Her siblings loooove this.)


This isn't an official tag, but if you'd like to steal these questions and answer them about yourself, I would love to see your answers!

Do you have any weird food quirks? Do you have one word to describe your personality, or is it as hard for you as it is for me? Are you a night owl, or a morning person?

Comments

  1. The nineteenth-century-novel description of you is my favorite thing, my goodness.
    And all the ways of being your friend involve stories. XD XD
    And how do you have opinions on movies you haven't watched and books you haven't read?? Like, even if you don't know much about them?? How is this possible?? XD

    I actually feel that no fanart/no behind-the-scenes videos! I mean, the latter more because it bores me, but still. I've gotten where I don't mind fanart like I used to, but it used to bug me because it never matched up with MY idea of characters. And knowing what actors are actually like always poses the danger of ruining the magic of the characters they play (same for knowing the personalities of musicians whose music I like)...so yeah. I feel that.

    High five for being a morning person! The world is ours for the taking over, you know. And by the time all the night-owls blink sleepily to waking life, we will have consolidated power...*cough* I don't know where that came from. Morning people are nice and industrious and have no plans for world domination. None.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was really fun to write.
      Oh, that's true! I hadn't actually noticed that. (Talking about Catholicism kind of seems like it might not involve stories...but then again, by Tolkien's definition of myth and story, it totally does. So.)
      Um, well, generally it's things I've heard about? Even if I don't know a lot about them. So, like, based on what I've heard about plot and format and the fandom, I'll usually have a value judgement about it, plus an opinion on whether or not I want to try it. (For instance: The Clone Wars. I've never watched it, and I know nothing about the plot, but I don't think that an animated show should count as Star Wars canon. Plus, it just sounds weird.) I do often *change* my opinion after I actually experience the thing in question, which is where this whole having-immediate-opinions thing can be a challenge: it's sometimes hard to change my mind, or open myself up to something that I'd probably enjoy, but that I don't think I want to do, based on my initial opinion (classics, for instance. My strange opinion/bias against classics is well known on here, I think, and I have to fight that, because I know I do enjoy classics, but it's sometimes hard to fight the opinion I've had for so many years (i.e. that classics are boring.)).

      Oh, I'm glad SOMEone else has that, too. Because it seems like the whole world is running after fanart and behind-the-scenes videos, etc. I might relax about fanart as I get older, but yeah, for right now, I just avoid it. Because not only does it not match up with my idea of a character, it sometimes actually destroys it? Which is irritating.
      YES avoiding information about the actors! Especially for characters I really love, I almost try to ignore the fact that there is an actor? Like, who is this Robert Downey, Jr. person? There is only Tony Stark. XD (My sister thinks I'm absolutely insane).

      High five back! Ah yes, while the night owls are sleeping, we can accomplish anything we want, including a world takeover...*cough, cough* but of course, we wouldn't WANT to do that, of course not! Not even a little bit. (Seriously, though, I'm sure this is the other way around for night people, but it always feels like there's much more time to do things in the morning, whereas the evening is just...short. So I really don't understand how they get anything done. XD)

      Delete
  2. Dude, you and I are so similar with our tastes in food! *laughs at my own bad pun* Now, I've never had a Portobello mushroom, much less for breakfast, but besides that!

    I name my Kindle (and all of my computers), too! TO-DO is helping me right now. Yes, I name them like they're Star Wars droids. XD

    I've never said "True word!" or " Word!" but it sounds really cool so I might pick it up. ;D

    This whole post is so much fun that I'm already planning what I would say. So you might see that at some point... XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's cool! *laughs at your bad pun with you* You should try a Portobello sometime! They're delicious. In my opinion, at least!

      Awesome! And oh my word, I love the Star Wars droid naming!

      It's a good expression for when someone says something you want to agree with, but you want to say something a little more classy than "totally", or something like that. XD

      I would totally love to hear your answers to these questions!

      Delete
  3. I love this! The 19th century style added a lot to it.
    All of this is really cool (and you can read the Bible in Latin?? That's amazing)
    What does 'tank-treads' mean exactly? It's a really neat word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really had fun with that.
      Yes, I can read the Bible in Latin! Although I'm not totally fluent, so I tend to stick with the easier books, i.e. the Gospels. And I find that actually writing down my translation helps, too. So I can't read it as well as I can read in English, but I can read it. :)
      I'm not sure if it's a real word or a terminological thing, but it essentially means that I approach the world like a tank, grinding opposition under my metaphorical treads (the tank equivalent of wheels). XD

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love how you described yourself. The goats look and sound adorable.
    I name my computers but for some reason haven't named my kindle. It's impossible to share raspberries. I might have to steal this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, the goats are adorable! :) Oh, that's funny, because I don't name "my" computers (I share them with my fam), but I do name my kindles! Yep, sharing raspberries is just a logical contradiction in terms. XD
      Please do, I'd love to see your answers!

      Delete
  5. Pulling random character questions is exactly what I did.
    Also: "They're not dirty, and thus, she keeps wearing them." Call me out like that why don't you :D
    And YAY! We're INTJ twinsies!

    Aah! I wish I could pick up languages quickly. Accents? Maybe. (I tend to pick up speech habits and accents from random people, which is a bit annoying because a week later I'll catch myself and be like...wait. And if its the first time I've heard the term? Oof. Seriously, there is an east coast grocery store that I don't have back home and a Rochester, NY student RUINED it for me. I add in a random noun in the middle and now I have to train my self to say it correctly aaah.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know, it works!
      I'm mostly calling myself out with that, but if it called you out...#sorrynotsorry. XD
      WOOT! INTJs unite.

      My sister is just like that! She picks up accents like nobody's business, and can imitate almost anyone you care to name. It's crazy. And also, really, really cool. I wish I could do that, but I'm horrible at accents and imitations. Oh, goodness, that's hilarious! One person saying it wrong once can throw you off for a long time...I definitely have that with some words. XD

      Delete
  6. Ahh, this is so fun! I love this. :) I might pop it into my blog draft ideas for a future time.

    Also, I use the word "Debatable" by itself a LOT, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would love to see your answers, so if you want to do it, feel free!

      It's a very useful word! ;)

      Delete
  7. This was so fun to read! I'd love to do the tag, if you don't mind.
    I love how you described yourself.
    I name my Kindle, too. Although, really, I name everything: my journal, my laptop, random trees on our ranch, etc.
    Also, yes, raspberries are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't mind at all.
      Oh, cool! Kindle naming seems to be a pretty wide-spread thing... Sounds like you have a bit of an Anne-of-Green-Gables thing going there with all the naming!
      Raspberries forever!

      Delete
  8. Ooooh, I LOOOVE THIS!!!!!!!!! (Also, heya, I'm new. I found your blog over at Christine Smith!) I was over here nodding my head and smiling at the part where the "heroine" talks a lot, 'cause well, I'm known for my very fast, never-ending chatter. *sheepish smile* And that's really funny about naming your Kindles, GENIUS idea!!!!! I honestly don't think I can describe myself in one word, either. XD Oh, and I'm TOTALLY both a night owl and a morning person. (Imagine how hard it is to get any sleep. XD) I reallyyy enjoyed this post!!!! Sorry for my late comment, I just knew I had to comment while reading the post. <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, THANK YOU! Hi Issabelle! Good to meet you! I feel like I've seen you in Christine's comment section before. :)
      Yeahhhhhh, me too! I don't always talk around new people, but when I do...there's a fair number of words coming out of my mouth. XD
      I find it fun! Plus, it makes it easier to find my kindle when I'm downloading ebooks, because my siblings and I all have kindles and use the same account for that!
      Yeah, that's a really hard question!
      WOW, I've never heard of someone being both a night owl and a morning person! That must be kind of nice, actually, because then you can be productive any time!
      Thank you! And please, don't apologize, I love comments on any of my posts, at any time! <3

      Delete
  9. I love this tag, Sam! I especially enjoyed the 19th century style. Ah, a fellow long brown haired girl XD. I used to have waist length hair until I donated it last year, but it's still pretty long. I don't know how people with long hair don't put it up. Ponytails are my go to, although I've been experimenting with braids lately. No makeup is my style too! I wore it once when I was in a play, but other than that, I prefer not to wear it.

    Vegetables! Yes, vegetables are the best. My favorites are broccoli and Brussels sprouts.

    I'm a morning person as well because sleeping in seems to waste too much time. Wow, we have a lot in common- I'm a mix between an INTJ and an ISFJ.

    All your answers were so great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love it, too. :) Oh, are you long-brown-haired, too? Cool! Yeah, I also used to have waist-length hair, but I donated it at the end of 2019, and I don't think I'd ever want to grow it out that long again... Seriously, I have no idea how they stand having it down all the time! Yeah, I usually do ponytails, just because...I can't actually braid my own hair. XD
      I will sometimes wear a tiny bit of makeup for special occasions, but otherwise, it's just too much hastle!

      Ahh Brussels sprouts! You're making me hungry.

      YES sleeping in totally wastes time! Finally someone understands! XD We do seem to have a lot in common--and that must be an interesting personality type mix! (I'm generally an INTJ, and can occasionally flip into ISTJ, but I'm most definitely a 'T'. :))

      Thank you!

      Delete
  10. I really enjoyed reading this! I like your writing style. I hope this spreads around, its a pretty awesome idea. Maybe I'll do it sometime, who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! And thank you! I hope it spreads as well, it was a brilliant idea on MK's part. :) Let me know if you do it, I'd love to see your answers!

      Delete
  11. I just found your blog from MC and wow this is the best first impression I've ever read!! XD I think I'm going to do this "tag" as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm so glad it was a good first impression! And nice to "meet" you! I'd love to see your take on this "tag". :)

      Delete
  12. Hallo Sam!

    Nooooo you doon't! You totally just watched part of the making of LOTR... sooo... is that broken now? Or was it just an exception? Or did you actually dislike it but just were too kind to complain?

    Faramir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was a little bit broken, but that "rule" has certain exceptions, so I think it's fine. I really did enjoy watching the making of! I just don't think I'd watch it for any of the other movies, now that I've gotten the general idea. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!