Review: "Concrete Rose" by Angie Thomas

I first heard about this book on C. G. Drews's blog, and was instantly intrigued! But I didn't know when or if I'd find time to read it. Then later that week, I was at the library picking up a hold in a socially distanced manner...and our library has a program where you can pick up new popular books without a hold. And guess what book was on the list? Yep! This one. I impulsively added it on to my checkout, and the rest is history.

If there’s one thing seventeen-year-old Maverick Carter knows, it’s that a real man takes care of his family. As the son of a former gang legend, Mav does that the only way he knows how: dealing for the King Lords. With this money he can help his mom, who works two jobs while his dad’s in prison.

Life’s not perfect, but with a fly girlfriend and a cousin who always has his back, Mav’s got everything under control.

Until, that is, Maverick finds out he’s a father.

Suddenly he has a baby, Seven, who depends on him for everything. But it’s not so easy to sling dope, finish school, and raise a child. So when he’s offered the chance to go straight, he takes it. In a world where he’s expected to amount to nothing, maybe Mav can prove he’s different.

When King Lord blood runs through your veins, though, you can't just walk away. Loyalty, revenge, and responsibility threaten to tear Mav apart, especially after the brutal murder of a loved one. He’ll have to figure out for himself what it really means to be a man.

Worldbuilding/Writing Style
So very, very on point in both the 'worldbuilding' and the writing style. The worldbuilding of what it's like living in an impoverished area was just *chef's kiss*. And the writing! The writing is perfect. It's written in...I'm not sure what to call it...the patois, the argot, the dialect. And it was just so perfect. You may remember that over the summer I worked at an urban farm in an area not entirely unlike the one described in the book (less gang activity, I think? but y'know, I didn't ask around about it. XD) with coworkers who were mostly from the area...and this book was written like they talked. And it was almost like...is it weird to analogize it to a warm sweater? I loved my coworkers and I loved working with my coworkers and hanging out with them and listening to them talk, and it was so fun to revisit all that. (For people who have trouble following books that are written in a dialect and/or ones that leave out the linking verbs on occasion...you might want to be careful with this one, or listen to it on audio.)

Plot
Character driven plot! Woohoo! Seriously, though, the plot is ridiculously amazing. It was just the right amount of drama/outside action mixed with Maverick's internal and self-driven journey, and I just...it was perfect. There were so many moments where I thought I knew what was going on and didn't (although one that I did predict), and so much suspense over Maverick's choices!
It was also honestly very eye-opening. After reading about Maverick f
or so long, I understand so much more deeply the issues faced by both people in poverty and those involved in gangs. It's a vicious cycle--danger, gang, selling drugs, making enough money, can't stop selling drugs because not enough money, can't leave the gang, police...anyhow. Enough Samantha-the-social-justice-warrior for now. But seriously--I have such a deeper understanding, now.

Characters
They all won my heart! (Especially Seven. Because realistic adorable babies whose cuteness comes through the page are not common enough. But I love them.)

But it was, of course, Maverick who was my favorite. Because, he's seventeen. He has a baby, from one mistake, and he has to learn how to deal with it. His total confusion about all things "baby" was hilarious, but at the same time the amount of responsibility and inadequacy he feels was so very poignant. This baby has driven him away from his girlfriend (because it's not her baby...) and he just can't understand why, and doesn't know how to get her back. His grades are falling because he can't sleep because of Seven. His cousin told him he needs to stop dealing drugs so he's short money. He's getting estranged from his homies. And on top of all that...the plot happens. The poor guy, he had so much on his shoulders, and he's just trying so hard to be a good father to Seven, and a good son to his mother, and to stay clean... Wow. So much crammed into this one character. (Oh, and did I mention he loves to read? That was a nice touch. :))

Also, Mav's granny shows up a couple of times, and I LOVE her. Lisa, Maverick's girlfriend, is sweet and has her own concerns and doesn't take any nonsense. Mav's mom is...a little irritating in one way, but also so lovely. And words cannot express how much I love Mr. Wyatt. 

Romance
I'm a bit on the fence about the romance, because it's pretty adorable, but on the other hand, they're teenagers, with all the problems that come with teenage romance, and then some. Idk. 

Content
A fair bit of swearing, most of it as innocuous as swearing can be (with very little taking-the-Lord's-name-in-vain), but a few f-bombs in there. A murder (not super graphic). Stories of gun violence. One steamy scene (not graphic). Several babies born out of wedlock (and mention of what made that possible). One "bi" character. Drug use (very briefly) and drug dealing.

Overall Rating
I LOVED this book, but I do need to knock it down a bit for content...3.5 stars!

Reminds me of...
Am I allowed to say The Hate U Give? :) Seriously, it was a very unique book. I had never read anything like this before.

Comments

  1. I heard that this had come out but I knew absolutely nothing about it so I'm glad to change that today. It's neat that it reminded you of working with your co-workers! Such content as you mentioned usually makes me wary, but you enjoyed it so much that maybe I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could inform you! :) Yeah, I was kind of worried about that going in, given the amount of content there was in The Hate U Give, but I honestly thought that the content in this was generally not gratuitous, and served the story. But, of course, whether you read it or not is entirely up to you! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow. This sounds REALLY compelling. I might....need to read this next summer. Once I've made a dent in my TBR.

    And "Maverick" is a great name.

    And BABIES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was extremely compelling! I hope you get around to it one of these days...but the whole death-by-TBR thing is real. XD

      It really is!

      YES THE BABIES. The baby game is strong with this one. (Like, the babies are /around/. Not just mentioned once and then left out for the rest of the book. And I'm a fan.)

      Delete
  3. I've been meaning to read this one. Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it! I hope you like it, if you get around to it. :)

      Delete
  4. I was NOT going to read this, but now I kind of...really want to? It sounds very good. Plus I love books written in dialect. Plus I had a friend who was in a gang! He actually died recently, but I've always thought this topic kind of really important and interesting and something I wish I knew more about and had, like, a more personal understanding of? I don't know. It just sounds like a book I really want to read. (Although...not into the foul language. So we shall see.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was excellent! And the dialect was very well done, so if you like that sort of thing, I think you'll like this.
      Oh, wow! I'm sorry about your friend. It is definitely a very important topic to learn about, though! (Since I'm the epitome of a sheltered homeschooler, before reading this, I kind of had the impression that gangs were a thing of the past, and/or only in New York (don't ask me why) which is obviously untrue...so this was very eye-opening.)
      (Yeah, the foul language was...not my favorite.)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!