Lewisian Musings: Oppositional Friendship

(Photos are not related to the post necessarily, I just wanted to break it up a wee bit.)

This has been kind of a weird blogging month so far, and I've been posting things that I do want to post (and I think you want to see--like baby goats and blog party announcements!) but not things that are especially thought-provoking or deep or even comment-able, especially (it's kind of hard to comment on a poetical stream of thought on Holy Week, methinks). And since provoking thoughts and inciting dialogue are two of my big goals for this blog, I have decided to defer my Spring Books GBB until next month (May is still spring!) and instead, launch a new blog series a little earlier than I was expecting!

Introducing: Lewisian Musings! I've been reading a whole lot of Lewis lately, and there's a lot of what he says that I want to muse on and talk about, but my family/friends don't always want to talk about Lewis's philosophy 24/7 (they're happy to do it maybe 1/4 XD), but since I know many of you also love Lewis, I thought this would be a good place to simply pull a Lewis quote or set of quotes and talk about my thoughts! So, this month's Lewisian Musing is on Oppositional Friendship, and I have a fun one for not too long from now about his thoughts on reviewing...

Anyhow. Let's cut to the chase!

I've been having a fascinating philosophical debate by email with a blogger friend over the past few weeks (blogger friend, if you'd like to identify yourself, feel free--I wasn't sure if you wanted to be acknowledged). The debate has ranged from the capabilities of government to the roles of justice and loyalty in friendship, and whether they're in opposition. (And yes, this whole debate was inspired by one thing!) It's been a lot of fun, because we do have very different views of the thing we're arguing about, and so there's a lot of food for discussion, but at the same time, we respect each other, a respect born of time getting to know one another through respective blogs, as well as the respect for a noble opponent. Our (sometimes heated) discussions are often bookended with statements of gratitude for the opportunity to debate, as well as inquiries about/updates on personal life. Previously, I hadn't experienced anything like this with a friend, and in fact, found any conflict in friendships to be a frightening thing, to be avoided at all cost. And the whole thing is making me think--and not only about philosophy! 

At around this same time as we were exchanging our second volleys, I came across The Company They Keep by Diana Pavlac Glyer, a scholarly look at the Inklings, and how they influenced each other. Aside from the glorious joy it was revisiting the scholarly body of work on my favorite British authors, it meshed beautifully with my musings on friendship and conflict, clarifying and connecting several things I think I'd known before, but I hadn't really assembled into a coherent whole. 

Because, C. S. Lewis? He was the absolute king of being friends with people through arguing with them. It's a very common theme in his life, and even in his work. And he talks about this, and thinks about it, and synthesizes it in a really beautiful way. 

His first mention of this sort of friendship, and indeed a very extreme form of this sort of friendship, is in Surprised By Joy, when he talks about the "Second Friend" who "has read all the right books but has got the wrong thing out of every one. It is as if he spoke your language but mispronounced it....When you set out to correct his heresies, you find that he forsooth has decided to correct yours! And then you go at it, hammer and tongs, far into the night, night after night, or walking through fine country that neither gives a glance to, each learning the weight of the other's punches"
This isn't quite how I feel about the friend who I've been debating with (we don't debate all the time!), but it's certainly an interesting view of friendship on Lewis's part; most people in the modern day would not think those who argue almost every time they see each other would be called "friends"...but Lewis thinks they are. And we like Lewis. 

He shows this in his own life, so maybe we should start there to unravel what's going on here. (Lewis practices what he preaches, as he always does. Good ol' Lewis.)

The first example is the "Great War" between him and Owen Barfield, which lasted nine years, from 1922 to 1931. It was, as Lewis says in Surprised By Joy, "an almost incessant disputation, sometimes by letter and sometimes face to face, which lasted for years", during which they debated the philosophical claims of Anthroposophy vs. those of Orthodox Christianity. The interesting thing is, though they debated for so many years, afterwards, each one insisted that he had been influenced more than the other by the argument. As Diana Pavlac Glyer says, "Both Barfield and Lewis clarified their understanding of their own convictions. Perhaps more importantly, they also experimented with the most effective means of asking and answering serious philosophical questions...Commenting on the effects of the Great War, Barfield asserts that Lewis is the one who taught him 'how to think'." Each man had a great respect for the other, and found that the other had taught him much through their debate. 

And their friendship was not limited to debate. Barfield helped Lewis get out of some tricky tax problems with his royalties. Lewis served as godfather to Barfield's eldest daughter (the one who Narnia is dedicated to.) The two took long walking tours together, along with other friends of theirs. (During which they probably debated a lot, but that's a bit of a moot point. :))

And they didn't take their friendship or debates too seriously either; at one point, they had an exchange of several letters with a fictional/satirical legal debate between Tristram and King Mark, during which King Mark's "lawyers" refused to admit the excuse of "magic" and Tristram's "lawyers" responded in genuine Middle English.

But Barfield was not the only person, nor the only Inkling, with whom Lewis had a Second Friend sort of relationship. One of my favorite examples of Lewis and his oppositional friendships with the Inklings is possibly just the tip of an iceberg of debate that we know very little about. When Charles Williams died, the Inklings (and Dorothy Sayers, I believe?) put together a book called Essays Presented to Charles Williams, which Lewis edited. Fr. Gervase Mathew, an Inkling who was a Dominican Friar (HOW. COOL. IS. THAT. *cough* sorry, that was absolutely necessary) wrote an essay that was an argument against Lewis's position in The Allegory of Love. And Lewis helped him polish it, and published it without a qualm! I can just imagine that there was a lot of debate between Lewis and Gervase that hasn't been preserved, but that was a rich experience for both of them. 

And we're saving the best for last, because there were also elements of Second Friendship in Lewis's relationship with Tolkien. I know a lot of you will probably have heard that Tolkien really didn't like The Chronicles of Narnia. But did you realize that it was because he objected to Lewis taking liberties with the natures of the mythical creatures he was talking about, especially the fauns? He thought that Lewis had de-fauned the fauns, so to speak, and that they merely looked like, rather than acted like, fauns. Lewis never issued a real statement about this, but if we look at Prince Caspian, we can see that he took Tolkien's opposition and opinion and made them his own; Bacchus, the Maenads, and Silenus are not quite themselves, but he has one of the girls explicitly state that they are glad that Aslan is there, and would not have felt safe if they had met any of the mythical characters alone. To me, this points to the way that Christianity can Christianize and make safe mythology and things of that sort, so that we can enjoy them with none of the dangers. Lewis took Tolkien's point and made it part of the book, but also put his own spin on it. Tolkien influenced Lewis; but Lewis remained Lewisian. 

In all of these examples, the arguments are about one central and important thing: truth. They're not arguing about whether the bylaws of such and such organization should say this or that, they're not arguing about politics. They're arguing about Truth, trying to answer Pilate's question. I think that's an important element, as we'll see in a moment. 

All this considered, I've been thinking about why our modern world doesn't value or even recognize friendship that finds an outlet in debate. The world doesn't see people who debate as being friends; it doesn't even think they can be friends. 
But Lewis obviously thinks that people who debate can be friends. This begs the question: what does friendship mean?

I was thinking about Lewis's definition of friendship, from The Four Loves: "Friends are not primarily absorbed in each other. It is when we are doing things together that friendship springs up--painting, sailing ships, praying, philosophizing, fighting shoulder to shoulder." (Emphasis mine). Those Second Friends who are debating with each other, especially about philosophy, are not necessarily opposed to each other; they are working side by side, "fighting shoulder to shoulder" to find the truth. 

It's not impossible for people who debate or argue all the time to be friends. In fact, since they're working together to find the thing that's most important--Truth--it's extremely possible for them to be friends. Their friendship has a very important thing to be About.

But because the modern world has lost the conception that Truth exists, it seems to them that a friendship that is devoted to finding Truth--through debate--doesn't actually have a thing to be About. And this is why the modern world doesn't perceive Second Friends or friends who debate as being friends at all.

But we know better. To those of us who believe in and know Truth, the friendship of friends working together in pursuit of Truth, whether they think it looks the same (in which case they might philosophize together) or not (in which case they might debate together) is one of the most beautiful and important types of friendship. Because Truth is one of the most beautiful and important parts of our lives. 

Comments

  1. Wow, this is great! Very thought provoking and interesting to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Lots to think about. I definitely agree with what you said here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad I could provide some food for thought. :)

      Delete
  3. I knew Tolkien and CS lewis were friends, but I didn't know Tolkien actually influenced Lewis's works. This is a wonderful post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, Tolkien influenced Lewis, but also, Lewis was actually the reason Tolkien ever wrote LOTR, too! Which I think is super cool!

      Delete
  4. I love this! My best friend and I love to debate and constantly disagree with each other. I like that we can do that. I'm someone who loves discussing things, and arguing my points. And having someone disagree and debate with you helps you strengthen your opinions or see things from a different perspective.
    Fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like that! And it's so cool that you and your friend have that sort of relationship--it's so true, having someone to debate with helps strengthen your opinions, or even form your opinions. That's one of my favorite things about it!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Woha, I LOOOVE THIS!!!!! Man, that was soo deep and eye-opening and is really giving me a lot of things to ponder about. This was truly, truly INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!! ^_^ THANK YOU for sharing!!! <33 I'm taking a lot away from this amazing post! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so glad it was eye-opening, that was the goal! And I'm so glad you are taking things away from it! <33

      Delete
  6. SAM. I love this SO MUCH. (And now I really need to read Surprised by Joy.) (I just need to brush up on my Lewis period, really.)

    And your final point about Truth? Yes. SO MUCH YES. It's like...it's like Turnbull and MacIan in The Ball and the Cross. They're diametrically opposed, but it turns out they have more in common than anyone else in the world because everyone else thinks their argument is no big deal and they're both like, "No, this is THE big deal and we need to have it out." And paradoxically, it's because they disagree so fundamentally and STUBBORNLY that they're able to respect one another. Because they recognize that the Truth MATTERS. They might have opposite ideas about it, but they're both passionate about insisting that it exists, and that there's only one Truth and you can't compromise two worldviews as different as Catholicism and atheism. A Catholic and an atheist who openly admit they disagree are actually closer to friendship than two people who tell one another "I'm okay/you're okay." Chesterton talks about it in the beginning of What's Wrong with the World, I believe, and exemplified it in his friendships with people like George Bernard Shaw, but The Ball and the Cross is my favorite Chestertonian illustration of the idea.

    And now I realize Lewis had a well-developed take on oppositional friendship, too.

    Eep. This is exciting.

    And "gratitude for the opportunity to debate" <<< this. Philosophical arguments really are such a gift. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Megan! (Not gonna lie, I've been waiting for you to see this, to hear what you thought. 😅) (Surprised by Joy is amazing. Lewis is very sin-sick, and so are his environs. But it's good. In that it gets turned to good, that is.) (If you need suggestions for further Lewis reading, I have them. :D)

      Yes, it's EXACTLY like Turnbull and MacIan! (I love those boys so much.) The reason the world cares about them and thinks they're insane and all of that stuff is that they AGREE with each other that truth is important, which is not what the world wants to hear AT ALL.
      Yes, precisely! People need to admit disagreements, not say, y'know, it's all fine, it doesn't matter what you think or what I think. Because it does matter. And people can disagree and respect each other without compromising their own beliefs. (I don't think I really explained that really well, necessarily? But it happens, and it's good.) Ecumenical dialogue can happen (although I'm not great at it, myself XD) but it only really works if both people are prioritizing the truth. Ahh there's so much Chesterton that I still need to get around to! And that actually makes me very happy. :)

      It's always so exciting to find more writing about topics that are so interesting/exciting!

      They seriously are! One of the things that I love about Catholicism is that while we have really strong teachings about a lot of things, there are still open philosophical questions that the Church doesn't dictate an answer to, so we can still have excellent philosophical debates with each other, as well as with people of other beliefs. <3

      Delete
  7. Ooh, I like this a lot. I love debating and philosophizing with my friends and family, and it's SO IMPORTANT to have discussions with people who have different points of view. It helps my see where others are coming from, but it also forces me to examine and clarify my own beliefs. So much is lost when we close ourselves off from people we don't agree with, choosing to remain in a feedback loop where our own opinions are fed back to us (something I feel like I see increasingly in society today)--
    *coughs* I don't have strong feelings about this at all.
    Fantastic thoughtful post <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, me too! It's fun to philosophize with people who agree with us, but it's also SO important to philosophize with people who have different points of view! I think that's something that is really a problem with modern social media--it's so easy for people to get caught in that feedback loop, like you said, and not even see any posts that challenge their opinions...*coughs also* (but don't worry, it's not COVID, just strong opinions, which as you can tell, I have about this as well. XD)
      Thank you so much! <3

      Delete
  8. "And we like Lewis." XD Not sure why that made me laugh, but I loved it. XD

    (Also, by the way, I really appreciated your Holy Week post. Commenting wasn't really happening at that point, but it was SO nice. Especially because this year and last year we had no Tenebrae service??? And it made me sad. So thank you for writing it!!)

    But ALSO. Also, THIS POST. THIS SERIES. I am excited.

    (Oh and also...*sheepish cough* I will answer that email, I will. School has just...been killing me, and I pretty much have had zero leftover mental energy, which I guess taking two physics courses, condensed, with other courses as well, will do to you?? But school is over now, so excuses are over, so I really will get back to our debate. Which I'm so glad you're enjoying too, because I really REALLY love discussing it with you. As you know. XD)

    The thing about Lewis taking a friend's opposition and sort of working it into his own philosophy (with the Maenads) is so cool. And so TRUE. One of the best things about blogging for me has been meeting some of all you Catholics. :P Because as a Baptist, I know very little about Catholicism, and what I do "know" (and a lot of Protestants believe) is, I've found out, either wrong or sorta-right-but-also-misrepresented (and it's the same, I've seen, for Catholics re: Protestants; I can tell by what Catholics say sometimes that they don't actually understand what we believe/how we do things, even though they think they do - and I can't blame them, because the misunderstanding goes both ways!), and it's not only cool to learn more, it's cool to see that, even where we disagree, there's validity in your position and I can take the valid parts and enhance my own worldview with them (example: the emphasis y'all place on the physical aspects of life and the spiritual working through them, as opposed to it being all separated - not that Protestants are, like, Gnostic or anything, but I do think there's an importance to the intertwinedness that we often don't get), but also see where I think you're wrong and refine my own understanding based on that...I don't know. It's just cool to me?? And I'd never thought of those lines of Susan's and Lucy's as having anything to do with Lewis addressing Tolkien's criticism, but WOW YES THEY DO. Very cool.

    ALSO. ....well, also, I guess I don't have much to say except YES to your whole main point about Truth being The Most Important Thing and it being a wonderful thing for a friendship to be About and how this is how people with TOTALLY different worldviews can be the best of friends, because they agree on the fundamental question, and it's BEAUTIFUL and ack I love all the points you made. I'm REALLY looking forward to the next instalment of these Lewisian Musings. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it made me laugh when I wrote it, so I'm glad it made you laugh when you read it! XD

      (Aww, thank you! I loved that post very much, and I'm glad you did, too. It's so sad not to have Tenebrae! Our church had it, but it was streamed, so Not The Same.)

      I KNOW, me too! Although the next LM post is going to be on a very different topic, so it'll be interesting to see how people react. :D

      (Do not even worry about it. I figured, based on your overall absence from Online, that you either were dead (which I thought wasn't the case, since you were still posting on GR occasionally) or drowning in school, which is 100% understandable. Ooofff. I like physics, but two at once would be a bit much for me. I will look forward to continuing the debate when you get your leftover mental energy back!)

      I know, one of the best things about blogging for me has been meeting some of all you Protestants. XD (And also meeting a bunch of other Catholics. Because I know very few other Catholics my age in real life. But I digress--that is totally off-topic.) You have hit the nail entirely on the head with this entire paragraph, and I love it. There is so much misunderstanding and misrepresentation, going back many centuries. But through dialogue, we can both strengthen and refine our own understandings AND find areas where we can agree, and even take elements from each other and apply it to our own lives. (I love your example! I didn't even realize that's something that y'all didn't really think about...although since you don't exactly have Sacraments, it makes sense...anyhow. But from my end, one thing that I find really intriguing, not necessarily that I've heard from you, but from other Protestants, is the emphasis on healing prayer/prayer warriors/covering someone in prayer, etc. Not that Catholics don't pray, because we do--my mom is one of the best prayer warriors I've ever met. But I think that we sometimes find it harder than y'all do...and we certainly don't practice it as much individually unless our parents/mentors are very serious about it. (I hope that makes sense.))
      I know, I read about that and was like WHAT, WOW.

      Thank you! I was very proud of that bit...and I think the Holy Spirit helped. :)
      I'm looking forward to the next installment, too! It won't be too long...

      Delete
  9. This post is excellent in all ways! I'm so tired of people saying that they are not friends with someone just because they don't agree. That's a perfect time to have a civil and gracious debate! You can learn so much about your own point from hearing another's perspective. Great job, Sam! This will be an awesome series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, MC! It's true, friendship does not preclude argument, and people who think it does probably don't have that many friends, actually. XD That is so true! Debating with people has definitely strengthened my own POV about the world.
      I'm looking forward to more posts in this series! They're not all going to be quite like this one, though...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!