Review: "Lovely War" by Julie Berry

I am sometimes bad at managing my TBR. And this was one of those times. D0 I have a bunch of Heyer and Dickens on my list that has been there for literally months? Yes. Did I only just hear about this one from Megan Chappie at the end of last month? Well, yes. Did I ignore the Dickens, Heyer, O'Conner, etc. in order to read this one? Again, yes. Am I sorry? Not in the least.

They are Hazel, James, Aubrey, and Colette. A classical pianist from London, a British would-be architect turned soldier, a Harlem-born ragtime genius in the U.S. Army, and a Belgian orphan with a gorgeous voice and a devastating past. Their story, as told by the goddess Aphrodite, who must spin the tale or face judgment on Mount Olympus, is filled with hope and heartbreak, prejudice and passion, and reveals that, though War is a formidable force, it's no match for the transcendent power of Love.

Worldbuilding/Writing Style
I thought the author worldbuilt very well--she must have done a lot of research! The details of life at the front especially, I thought, seemed authentic (albeit awful, y'know, as life at the front tends to be), and the experience of war came through very vividly. 

I also thought the overall worldbuilding of the prejudice Aubrey and the rest of his Black (squadron? battalion? whatever the name is for the group of soldiers) faced. I was not really aware of the extent of the prejudice and hatred that the Black population, especially Black soldiers, faced during WWI (and WWII probably, now that I think about it, since the Civil Rights Movement wasn't until what, the 60s?). It was horrible, but eye-opening.

The writing style was just right, and I really liked how the author changed voice, based on who was helping Aphrodite tell the story.

Plot
The plot was phenomenal. And there are so many ways that I could give spoilers that I can't say a whole lot more than that! 

I did think that it was the perfect mix between plot-driven and character-driven! 

Also, the last quarter has a bunch of twisty suspense that I was impressed and very much drawn in by. I stayed up at least half an hour past my bedtime reading to the end--it's been ages since a book has made me do that!

There was one part where something was foreshadowed that didn't really materialize, but that's a small quibble.

Characters
I don't even know where to start...I guess with the Greek god characters?

I liked Aphrodite a lot more than I was expecting to. Somehow, Julie Berry made her both herself and sympathetic, which I found very, very impressive. I loved the way she told the story, and the goal that she was heading for with the story, as well. I did have quibbles with some of her methods, of course, but, y'know. Aphrodite is not supposed to be completely likeable. 

Ares was just the worst. But then, he's supposed to be.

Hephaestus. I loved Hephaestus. Idk. He's just my kind of dude. 

On to the humans!

I loved Hazel's determination to do something, and her bravery in terms of the form that doing something took. Also, her persistence in believing in James, and her beautiful love for him...<3 <3 <3. 

Colette's internal turmoil and determination not to care about anyone or anything won my heart. And then her s l o w opening back up...

And the friendship between those two! It's not the focus of  the book, so it's a tiny bit in the background, but totally reminded me of Code Name Verity!

James is perhaps the closest I've gotten in a VERY long time to a book crush. He's such a gentleman, with phenomenal bravery under fire, and his love for Hazel...I can't. (Obviously I don't actually have a book crush on him, because he belongs to Hazel. But I have definitely adopted him.)

Avery's sass and cockiness were fantastic. I didn't like him quite as much as James, but he was a super interesting character to follow!

Romance
There are two (technically three, I suppose, but I'm not going to go into the third one, because #spoilers), and they are both adorable!

James and Hazel are just so sweet together, and as I said before, James is such a gentleman and I love him so much. I don't really have words to describe how much I love their relationship. (Like Megan Chappie said in her review: I was totally there with Aphrodite, fangirling over the two of them!)

The second romance is a bit spoilery, so *highlight for spoilers* I really enjoyed Aubrey and Colette's romance as well, but not quite as much? I think it got less screen time, so I was a little less attached...but it was still super cute. *end spoilers*

One of the things I really appreciate about both of these romances is that the characters quite clearly wait for marriage to do...marital sort of things. And before they get married, their romance is quite pure and beautiful and the way courtship is supposed to be. I didn't know any modern books did that. XD But I like it a lot!

Content
Some innuendo (not generally from the main/good characters), one inappropriate scene (non-graphic, and not from the good/main characters), one scene where a male character forces a violent kiss on a female character, extreme racism (again, not from the main characters, and portrayed as horrible), murder, death and injuries in war (fairly graphic), a bit of swearing, and some very irritating "riffs" by the Greek god characters on prayer/God. 

Overall Rating
I really enjoyed this one--I thought it was one of the most compelling and well-woven modern books I've read in a while. So I would happily give it four stars, except, I don't really appreciate some of the content, especially the irritating riffs on religion, so I'm going to go 3.5 stars.

Reminds me of...
The Percy Jackson series, in the use of the Greek gods, and Code Name Verity, in the war/friendships/relationships.

Have you read any other good books set in WWI recently? What's your favorite historical war? Are you good at managing your TBR?

Comments

  1. Ooh, this sounds like such a unique combination--greek gods and WWI? (The fact that the book reminds you of both Percy Jackson and Code Name Verity is kind of great XD) Aw, these characters sound lovely. Romances that are sweet and the guy is a gentleman and they get married? My kind of romance. (...well, that or the really chaotic Howl's Moving Caslte/Elizabeth Marie Pope kind XD)
    Speaking of Code Name Verity, have you read The Enigma Game? I just finished it yesterday and JAMIE. JAMIE BEAUFORT-STUART IS THE MOST WHOLESOME HUMAN BEING AND I LOVE HIM DEARLY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly not a combination I'd ever come across before!
      UM YES. Those are basically the only kind of romances I stan at all. There is no in between.
      OKAY WAIT THERE'S ANOTHER BOOK?? I may have to check that out! Although...I read Rose Under Fire and I liked it, but it wasn't as good as CNV so now I'm a little worried about the rest of her books?? IDK, what do you think?

      Delete
    2. I felt the same way about Rose Under Fire (and I only got about half way through The Pearl Thief), so I wasn't expecting a lot from this book...and I ended up being surprised by how much I liked it! It has been AGES since I read Code Name Verity, so I don't feel qualified to compare them. But I would say it is certainly worth a read :)

      Delete
    3. (After RUF, I didn't even try The Pearl Thief...) Okay, I'll definitely add it to my TBR, if you think it's better/more enjoyable than RUF! I love everything about CNV, and would love to see my favorite characters again, as long as they don't get ruined...

      Delete
  2. Greek gods! I'm in. This sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was kinda my reaction! Yes, I would definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  3. I tend to really dislike anything with myths about gods because of the riffs against other religion. Sometimes it takes me a long time to warm up to the idea, then I'm fully in, like with the MCU and Loki and Thor. That's why I've never gotten into Percy Jackson. I've heard of this and it seems like it could be interesting and I might like it, so maybe I would be okay with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find those irritating as well, although since I *know* that they're the ones in the wrong, it doesn't bother me so much...but I can definitely see how that would put you off the genre!
      Percy Jackson is an interesting one because there certainly are moments where there are weird riffs on religion, but in the first book, one of the mentor characters straight-up admits that God might exist, they just don't know. Which is really interesting, because technically, in the Aristotelian sense of God, the Greek "gods" don't even count...so even granting Greek "gods" (which I obviously don't), God would still exist. Anywho. That got long and philosophical. xD

      Delete
  4. Great review! I read this back in November and really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The combination of Greek gods, classical pianists, would-be architects, and everything else sounds like such a intriguing combination. I should write down this title somewhere so I don't forget it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely intriguing and fun! I hope you enjoy it, if you decide to read it...

      Delete
  6. I am so glad you loved this one.

    Berry's handling of Aphrodite WAS really impressive, wasn't it?? I have a thing for...broken women, I guess you could say, in my fiction, and this Aphrodite kind of fit that mold? I dunno, I really...really liked her. Cuz she's not ALL sharp edges and deadly beauty and a cold, passionate heart. She's sweet and girly and very romantic-minded underneath that exterior. And...I like her. A lot. As I do Hephaestus. (And Ares was indeed awful but SO amusing.)

    (Oh oh but what did you think of Apollo?)

    JAMES AND HAZEL. For some reason I think I preferred Aubrey to James overall (he's more of a scamp and a rogue, and I can't resist fictional scamps and rogues) (but then James is great too and I DON'T KNOW, I CAN'T PICK), but you cannot beat James and Hazel's romance. You just CAN'T. (That scene with the candles? Sam?? THE SCENE WITH THE CANDLES??? *sobs*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!

      She definitely fits in your category of "sin-sick characters", which is kind of ironic, I think, given that she's...a Greek god? But it's so very well-done. And perfect for the goddess of love, because love in the Greek conception of eros was not cold passion, but warm and powerful romantic passion... She and Hephaestus are the best.

      (I liked him! And all of the banter/interjections/stuff with him and Aphrodite were the best.)

      See, I tend to love the gentlemen more than the scamps (but I do love a good scamp on occasion...it just has to be the right scamp. Like Gen in the Queen's Thief books, which you still have to read. Just your bi-monthly reminder. XD) But yes James and Hazel's romance was SO much cuter! GAH ALL THE CUTE SCENES, and also the part where she takes him to Colette's house and Colette's...was it her grandma?...is trying to hit on him and I just...it's all fantastic.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!