Review: "A Branch of Silver, A Branch of Gold" by Anne Elisabeth Stengl

I've been meaning to read this one since February, I believe? Because I am a complete sucker for retellings of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses". But after enjoying Heartless, by the same author, I decided to pick up this one, and actually enjoyed it even more than Heartless!

For six hundred years I have dwelt in this prison. Trapped. Helpless. Unliving and undying. For six hundred years I have watched as cursebreakers come and go. Brave young women all, gifted with powers beyond mortal understanding. I have watched them die. I have watched them wish to die. Once again the Family of Night invades this country to claim its dues, and this generation’s cursebreaker has her chance to break the endless chain of torment. To save me. To save her sisters. But how can a peasant child scarcely fourteen years of age discover the three-part key and liberate the captives? Will she too be doomed to join the Death Dance binding us all to the Family of Night?


Worldbuilding/Writing Style
The "external" (i.e. other than the magic system) worldbuilding felt fairly typical in terms of fantasy worlds, but the magic-system and faerie world were really cool! I thought the mirror magic was really well done, and very interesting to read. And the faeries were in some ways typical faeries, but in other ways unique and neat. And the after-death world was neat, and definitely reminiscent of Lewis. :) I suppose I can't say that the "external" worldbuilding was all typical--there was Le Sacre, which I found very interesting and unique.

The writing style conserved the perfect fairytale feel...and independent of anything else about the writing style, I love the rhythm of "a branch of silver, a branch of gold, a branch of diamond adamant".


Plot
As y'all probably know, "The Twelve Dancing Princesses" is one of my favorite fairytales (possibly my very favorite) and so as soon as Jenelle mentioned that this was a TDP retelling, I was so on board! I've read several other retellings, and I absolutely loved the new and unique direction that this retelling took, especially the focus on sibling relationships, and the difficulty with which the curse is broken--it almost seems too easy in the original fairytale, and that is remedied here. In addition, there are several very clever twists that I did not see coming!

I liked how this one was not mainly an allegory--don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Heartless, but the constant "ooh, maybe this character represents this" took me out of the story in a way that was not my favorite. So having the same lovely world and fairytale feel, but without the allegory, was nice.

The ending was perfection! And I loved the way there was actual, y'know, culpability for Heloise's actions.

I've heard several other reviewers say that they thought the plot was a bit slow...I can see how it might seem like that, and there were a few parts that dragged for me, but most of the time I was quite engaged. And y'know, sometimes a plot that's a smidge slower is enjoyable. 

My only real complaint about the plot is that it feels like there should be a sequel, and there isn't! I was SO ready for a sequel--and was going to push everything else on my reading list out of the way to read it--but dangnabit, there isn't one.


Characters
I. Loved. Heloise. A character who doesn't want to take on all the responsibility of adulthood, feels resentful towards her perfect sister, but when that sister gets in trouble will move heaven and earth to help her? WHY DON'T WE HAVE THIS MORE OFTEN? Plus, all the trouble she has with her hair is so relatable, and also the fact that's she's not perfectly graceful--THANK YOU. And the way she doesn't know exactly what to do at all times, but once she figures out what to do, she's going to do it, dangit. I love it.

Benedict (besides having the best name) was such a sweetheart. He just. wants. to. get. this. girl. out. of. his. rooms. so. he. can. study. except oops, why is she suddenly sopping wet on the floor? Maybe she needs help? And he also just wants to think the best of people, which is why he needs Heloise around...

I enjoyed all the supporting characters as well, especially Helene, Alala, and the sylph!


Romance
There is a bit of a tendre between two of the characters, which might be construed as a bit weird given a four-year age gap between the two teenagers involved, but...it doesn't really go anywhere, although you get the sense that it might, once they've grown up a bit. It's quite sweet, really.


Content
Death, serious illness, some fairly scary faerie creatures, injuries.


Overall Rating
Most certainly four stars!


Reminds me of...
Well, honestly, I thought the plot and magic system were quite unique, and I don't know if I can think of a book that has the same feel. But my other favorite TDP retelling is Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George. 


What's your favorite fairytale? Do you like retellings, or no? Have you read any Anne Elisabeth Stengl? What's your favorite of her books?

Comments

  1. TDP is my favorite fairy tale too, and I keep meaning to read this retelling, but haven't managed to yet. Yet! One of these days :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's so cool! I didn't realize we shared the same favorite! I think you'll really enjoy it, one of these days. :)

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing! I'm going to add it to my TBR (which, by the way, you would probably think is pathetically small, considering yours XD).
    Okay, so..."A character who doesn't want to take on all the responsibility of adulthood, feels resentful towards her perfect sister, but when that sister gets in trouble will move heaven and earth to help her?"
    That is so, so, so relatable. Except maybe replace the 'when' with an 'if' because I really can't imagine you getting into serious trouble. You're much too logical. ;)
    --Legolas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing! I hope you enjoy it. (I mean, if a TBR isn't over 50 books, what are you doing with your life? XD XD Jk, I'm trying to get mine UNDER 50 books, but it's nooooot woooorkkkinnnngggg.)
      I'm sorry, did you just call me perfect? You know better than that, dear. But it's true, I'm much too logical to get into serious trouble.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, this looks great! I'll have to remember to read this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TDP is such a cool fairytale! It has all the magic goodness. This one looks fun! Of the retellings by Jessica Day George, the second one in the series is my favorite! For a straight up TDP retelling my current favorite is Dancing and Doughnuts by Rachel Kovaciny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's awesome! I like the second one of the JDG series, too! Poppy is such a fun MC. I want to read Dancing and Doughnuts, but our library doesn't have it! *sad face*

      Delete
  5. I liked this one a lot more than Heartless too, not having it be an allegory did make it better. I remember loving Heloise too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone in that! It's not that I didn't *like* Heartless, it just...took more mental energy.
      She's excellent!

      Delete
  6. A character who simply wants someone to leave his room so he can study but keeps getting distracted with a crisis sounds hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely review!!
    P.s I nominated you for the mystery blogger award https://thedoodlecrafter.wordpress.com/2021/05/20/the-mystery-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!