In Defense of Love Triangles (Sort of.)

Image credit: Sierpinski, I suppose, via Wikipedia.

I would apologize for the blatant click-bait title, except I'm not actually sorry. I will be defending love triangles, sort of, and that's the truth. Buckle up. 

(I won't be arguing like a Scholastic today, because this particular IDO works better in a narrative format. St. Thomas would understand.)

(Also, before we start...just for the sake of clarity, I'm going to be using the language of The Four Loves here. And if you're not familiar with either Ancient Greek or Lewis's excellent work, here's a handy key:
eros = romantic love
storge = affection, familial love
philia = friendship love
agape = unconditional love, perfect love, the love that God holds for us
And if you're wondering why I don't just use English words, so that y'all don't have to follow along with my Greek a) does that seem like it would be more clear? and b) that would be way less fun.) (This probably gives you some idea of what I'm going to be talking about, oops. XD)

So. Anyhow. Love triangles.

"Samantha", you ask, "have you lost your mind? Do I misremember that in your last Lewisian Musings post, you mentioned you vomit over love triangles?" 

No, I have not lost my mind. And no, you don't misremember, although I may have been exaggerated a tad. I've just had a realization.

See, these are what we think of as love triangles, right?

Two people in love with the same person, and/or one person in love with two people, with varying degrees of reciprocity. Love triangle. Yes?

Okay, but do you see the problem? Is that actually a triangle? 

Is this a triangle?

Nope. It's a pointy arch. A lambda. An incomplete triangle. 

"But Samantha," you say, "Wouldn't a complete love triangle be weird? Wouldn't that imply the sort of relationships that we might not want to read?"

Well, yes. In the sort of situation in which we're *used* to seeing love triangles. In eros love triangles.

However.

Think about this for a second:
(For the sake of the diagram, a line without arrows means it goes both ways. :))

Does this look familiar to you? It should. You know why?

It's a family. 


Yep! Love three ways! With three different kinds of love, at that--eros, storge, and agape. A complete love triangle! (If not a perfect one...) 

Okay, okay, let's do another! What about this one?

(Art credit: Ron DiCianni)

As the title of one of Fulton Sheen's books says, "Three to get married!" 

So, if the family is a love triangle, and a married couple is a love triangle, what other famous group of three might be considered a love triangle? 

Think about it. You should probably know this one.

Alrighty, what about this:

(Art credit: Unknown Orthodox artist)

The triangle is an ancient symbol of the Holy Trinity, and in fact, the idea of a love triangle is often used when trying to analogize the Trinity--God the Father loves, and that love is the Son, who loves the Father, and that love is the Holy Spirit, who loves both of them...voila! Love triangle! (This is obviously an explanation that's material heresy, as every explanation of the Trinity must be, but it's one that's often used by important catechists, so I feel okay using it here.)
This symbolism of the triangle even appears in this icon--look behind God the Father's head!

Obviously, the love we're referring to here is agape, and perfect agape at that! But that doesn't change the fact that it's a complete triangle of love--a complete and perfect love triangle!

So, God is the original complete love triangle...what does this mean? 

It means that love triangles are not inherently a bad thing.

It means that, hurrah!, we can be even more mad at YA! #sarcasm

YA writers took a complete thing, and made it incomplete for the sake of drama.

If you're thinking about a married couple, and "three to get married", they turned a beautiful love triangle almost into a love square. 

They turned something beautiful into something extremely irritating.

Dangit, modern YA writers. Why'd you have to go and do that? Why would you make your "love triangles" incomplete, and all about eros? Why would you make the name of "love triangle" hated throughout the land, when the original "love triangle" was such an overwhelmingly good thing?

My take: we should just start calling what are typically called "love triangles" "love lambdas" instead.


So. What do you think? Have you ever learned about the four types of love? What do you think of love lambdas in YA?

Comments

  1. You just made my day, Samantha!!!
    I'm not totally against love triangles in fiction, but when the whole story is just about the love triangle and a very indecisive girl ....hm, no thanks, I'll pass. If it were me writing the story i'd make the girl decide to remain single because #noteveryonefallsinloveatsixteen and single people exist, lol. I don't think I actually have read that many love triangles? The only thing that pops up in my mind when I think 'love triangle' is the hunger games, but beyond that I'm drawing a blank.
    Also, I'm not very into theology but I loved the examples you brought up here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you!! I'm so glad!
      Yeah...same. I don't mind if there's a really minor one, but if it is major and/or with the main MC and DRAWN OUT...pass. Major pass. I love what you'd do, though! Because people do remain single, and it's a thing! (I don't know that I've read that many, either...but the ones I have read have given me a violent dislike of the trope. XD)
      Thank you! I had fun choosing them. :)

      Delete
  2. AGH I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. Even more attention-grabbing than the click-bait title was the fact that "SAMANTHA IS WRITING IN DEFENSE OF LOVE TRIANGLES? SAY WHA??"

    I feel so strongly vindicated in my beliefs about you that it's a sort of strong relief. XD

    Anywho. Such a good, good point here. Love IS a triangle. The most stable shape on the planet. As that great movie The Boss Baby reminds us, lol.

    (I don't really bear a great hatred towards love lambdas. Especially not if it's the scenario where there are two people in love and one person on the outside looking in. Like Eponine in Les Mis. Or Angelica in Hamilton, for that matter. Cuz that kind of thing actually happens, y'know? And if it's part of the human condition it's fair game for literature.) ("Literature" meant to be said here in a Gru voice: "LEETrature.") (But I am gonna start calling them love lambdas. At least in my own head.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! It was very fun to conceptualize and write...and picture everyone's faces when they saw their feeds. XD

      I'm glad I could fulfill your beliefs about me, haha!

      Thanks! I love the way you phrased that--"love is a triangle", and thus a "love triangle" is almost a redundant way of saying it?? (Also, I've never seen Boss Baby? Would you recommend?)

      (Yes, that kind of love lambda is fine and realistic! It really does happen! The kind I object to (maybe because my extreme J-ness? (as in "INTJ")) is when the "top" of the love lambda is waffling between two options FOREVER. *growls*) (Of course "literature" is said in a Gru voice. XD) (Oh good! I'll be calling them that, too. ;))

      Delete
  3. True. I think some of the problems with typical love triangles is that they're so squeaky clean, usually the result of an unacknowledged immaturity, and it views an eros relationship as the only acceptable end goal. We're usually pretty bad at writing believable relationships anyways so it just comes across as a character seeing how much the other options will fight over them. Which that could work great if that's what you're trying to go for.

    Usually in a good love triangle, it's a lot messier, the flaws are usually pretty apparent but that's kind of the point. It's a difficult situation. Essentially if you view the characters as people and not strictly 'Character A' vs 'Character B' it's usually better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good point!! There's an implied immaturity...I find that especially in the wafflyness. And the going for the eros always...that bugs me, too! "Neither" is an acceptable love-lambda outcome. XD

      Good point! It's often additionally irritating in literature because both options are sugarcoated, whereas in real life...it's not like that.

      Delete
  4. Never thought about them like this before your right their not a triangle at all. I like them in certain contexts but they can be used so ridiculously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a geometry student, it just bothers me. XD Yeah, exactly! The way they're used is so grating most of the time.

      Delete
  5. *sees the title of the post* *narrows eyes* What has happened to Sam? There must be some sort of catch because she wouldn't just switch to loving love triangles for no reason. *reads post* Aha!

    This is great! Bravo! I've always been annoyed with love triangles for this exact reason! My favorite example that makes sense is actually a square in the movie Easter Parade (1948). Everyone loves a different person and makes a perfect square. The geometry lover in me is quite pleased. Now I have something else to like! Also, thank you for the clarification of the four loves. I can never seem to remember each one... Totally going to call them love lambdas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, the blatant clickbait of the title is real. XD (Clickbait from confusion, mostly, I gather.)

      Thank you, thank you!! Ooh, that's cool that there's actually a movie that has a love square! Although it sounds like there would be some interesting drama with that...I imagine that not everyone ended up happy! :)
      You're very welcome! I LOVE the Four Loves, so any excuse to talk about them...
      Excellent! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!