Review: The Enigma Game by Elizabeth Wein


So, you may remember THIS review, in which I raved about Code Name Verity for...a long time. (Honestly, I haven't stopped yet...) What you may not know is that I tried Rose Under Fire, by the same author, and in the same series, not too much later, and was...let down. Not disappointed, just let down. It wasn't the same. It wasn't as good. So, when The Temperamental Writer mentioned this one, I was skeptical, to say the very least. But I was told that it was *better* than Rose Under Fire, and that JAMIE WAS IN IT (I was just rereading my CNV review, and I said that he's pretty much my ideal man...that still stands) so I knew I need to try it. And, to my delight, I was not let down, nor disappointed in any way, shape or form! 

In fact, lest that be too little of a recommendation...I stayed up from 2 AM to 6 AM reading it. XD (Long story. I was not able to fall asleep, but...I probably could have tried harder. XD)


A German soldier risks his life to drop off the sought-after Enigma Machine to British Intelligence, hiding it in a pub in a small town in northeast Scotland, and unwittingly bringing together four very different people who decide to keep it to themselves. Louisa Adair, a young teen girl hired to look after the pub owner's elderly, German-born aunt, Jane Warner, finds it but doesn't report it. Flight-Lieutenant Jamie Beaufort-Stuart intercepts a signal but can't figure it out. Ellen McEwen, volunteer at the local airfield, acts as the go-between and messenger, after Louisa involves Jane in translating. The planes under Jamie's command seem charmed, as Jamie knows where exactly to go, while other squadrons suffer, and the four are loathe to give up the machine, even after Elisabeth Lind from British Intelligence arrives, even after the Germans start bombing the tiny town . . .


Worldbuilding/Writing Style
Can we talk about how good Wein is at varying her voice when she's writing from multiple POVs? Can we please? Because it's AMAZING! And I don't usually like multiple POVs, but...I like it when she does it. A lot. (Plus, her overall writing voice is SO realistic for the period, and it's incredible.)

In terms of worldbuilding...also fantastic! There are so many tiny details that really *make* the setting, like the ways the planes work, and the gas meters, and, and, and. (And can I say: probably part of the reason I didn't like RUF as much was because it wasn't primarily set at an airfield. XD What can I say, I love the way Wein does airfields! So, I was happy to have one here.)

Also, I really enjoyed all of the music references! 


Plot
The plot was, as ever, wonderful! The pacing was phenomenal, and I loved everything that happened! I knew what was going to happen at the end, given that I had read CNV, but that didn't make that (or anything that happened in the interim) any less interesting! I'm going to be honest...it's a character driven book, so while I thought the plot was excellent, I'm saving my squealing for the characters. 


Characters
So. Three words: character. driven. book. *soft squeal* Which means all the characters have to be excellent, and by and large they ARE! (We'll go from least favorite to most favorite, because I should probably leave my squealing over Jamie for last. XD)

Old Roundhead was kind of the worst, but I liked how we did see him grow a bit through the book in a rather Gary D. Schmidt-ish way. (I.e., realizing that authority figures also grow and change.)

I liked Ellen--loved her voice, in particular--but I found her sections the least compelling of the three. I thought that some of her motivations were a *wee* bit lacking...like when she finally *spoiler* reveals she's a Traveller *end spoiler*, that feels like it kind of comes out of nowhere. But her friendship with Jamie is awesome, and very sweet. 

Jane was wonderful and scary! I loved that she had been a singer, and how well she mentored Louisa, but the bit at the end was kind of freaky. 

I really liked Felix Baer, even though he wasn't in it much! I'm not sure why...I just did. I guess I have a soft spot for stabby guys with their own soft spot for music??

Okay, on to my favorites!

Louisa. Was. Awesome. She's FIFTEEN YEARS OLD and doing things like taking care of herself, getting a job, helping Jamie cover for his bushed airmen, and *spoiler* using an Enigma! *end spoiler*. And ahhhhh, the way Wein describes her gut-yearning to be DOING something...<3 <3 <3. Also, her relationship with Jane is so sweet, and so is her relationship with Ellen, and with the other spoilery female character who shows up! (What is it about Wein and actually good friendships in this *cough* somewhat perverted *cough cough* world? I love it. I love it so much.) Also, I do love that she's Jamaican. The diversity feels perfect and unforced, and I'm here for it. Short summary: I love this girl.
(Also, her last name (Adair) happens to be part of the last name of some of my favorite people, so that was a plus. :))

Spoilery character squealing time! *highlight for spoilers* QUEENIE I WAS HOPING SHE WOULD BE IN HERE AND SHE ISSSSSSSSS!!!!! Ahhhhh the moment when she opens her window to help guide her brother home, and it hearkens back (or forward, I guess?) to the Peter Pan references, and YES. And then when she falls asleep on the table and is practicing her German! And her brother having to not recognize her, and the hijinks that ensue! (Also, the moment when dude puts his arm around her, and Jamie's like ...should probably do something about this, but it's more like rescuing him from her, than vice versa. XD) I just...loved having her. She's 100% her Queenie self, and I needed that. (But the part at the end! Where she puts her coin in the bar and says she's not going to come back for it! TOO SOON, QUEENIE. Or perhaps too early? Idk. *cries*) (I was a little disappointed that Maddie didn't make an appearance, because we *know* that she visits Jamie at the hospital, but oh well. She's implied. :) *end spoilers*

Okay, on to Jamie. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh my Jamie! HE'S SO PERFECT and don't even try to tell me otherwise. The way he totally feels responsible for everyone in his...what's the world, squadron? flight? group? anyhow. The men who report to him. They're HIS MEN, and he's going to keep them safe, whatever it takes. And he's what, nineteen? And absolutely being the dad of the group and...<3 <3 <3 I just love it. I also REALLY love all the camaraderie between the men--so good! 
And the moment where he's like "keep your mucky hands off the lasses" THANK YOU ELIZABETH you have NAILED my Jamie!!! (So satisfying, tbh. The part in CNV where he's totally about to DECK that dude for insulting you-know-who (or maybe you don't, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers, here) is THE BEST.) He's just so much the gentleman and I love him so much. 
(But also--his thinking-for-himself and healthy disrespect for authority is so Jamie, too. :)) 
(And the way he's totally father/brotherly towards Louisa, too!) 
Short summary: JAMIE IS THE BEST.


Romance
None, really? This book was mostly about the friendship, and I like that a lot.


Content
Some swearing (esp. British-isms, nothing really bad, although [edit] I have been informed that there was some taking of the Lord's name in vain), gruesome injuries, death, racism.


Overall Rating
[Which I apparently forgot the first time? Where is your BRAIN, Sam?] 4 stars!


Reminds me of...
I mean...it reminds me of Code Name Verity, I suppose? :) I really can't think of anything else, besides the books I already listed in my CNV review.


Have you read anything by Elizabeth Wein? Do you like WWI or WWII better? What's your favorite war? (Okay, that sounded weird. XD)

Comments

  1. Usually war stories aren't my thing but your enthusiasm for this story makes me kind of want to read it XD
    I also have a soft spot for 'stabby guys who have their own soft spot for music'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that was the goal. XD
      I know, me too!!!

      Delete
  2. YES I just read this and ack!!!! <3 <3

    I didn't even think about Jamie's disrespect for authority being one of the reasons I love him so much, but...my sister and I were watching this show, and the main character CANNOT STAND being told what to do by higher-ups who don't need to be sticking their noses into HIS business, and I was like, "I love this guy," and my sister's like, "Of course you do, you're KINDRED SPIRITS," and yeah. Same for Jamie, I do believe. XD
    And also the RESPONSIBILITY he takes on his shoulders and his GOODNESS and he's such a GENTLEMAN. *dies*

    Louisa is, indeed, awesome, as well. And Jane. Kinda loved Jane. And spoilery character was too fun. And the Polish pilot guy!!! He was so lovely!!!! I don't know why I liked him so much but I did!!! Possibly the fact that he fought so hard to get to England to help, idk... And Felix Baer!!!! The characters were ALL INCREDIBLE AHHHH! (Though I too was less enthralled by Ellen, for some reason. Despite greatly enjoying her style of narrating. xD)

    Also, just a note, I remember at least two (and I think one more, but I'm not gonna say for sure) instances of taking God's name in vain, so...yeah.

    Aaaand, I definitely prefer WW1, but Elizabeth Wein and Helen MacInnes are my exceptions. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much love for this book!!

      Y'know, your love for characters who disrespect authority explains a lot about why we disagree about *cough* certain parts of Marvel. XD I love Jamie, but I do feel slightly uncomfortable with his disrespect for authority. (Wait, aren't you supposed to be a One?? What is this? XD)
      But yes, the RESPONSIBILITY, and the amount he worries about his men, and his chivalry and ALL THE YES.

      I loved Jane, too! Although she also scared me. XD The spoilery character was so fun, but also made me sad... I know, I loved the Polish pilot, too! (Honestly, anything Polish is a win in my book, but I loved him for more reasons than that. XD) THEY ALL WERE AWESOME! (Hey, I wasn't a huge fan of Ellen either, for some reason...hmm.)

      Thanks for the heads up! I'm not always great at figuring out if I'm going to be reviewing a book BEFORE I read it, and then I forget important things like that when I go to review it. XD I've edited the post to reflect that!

      Those are good exceptions to make! ;)

      Delete
  3. I NEED to get into this author's books, lol. Especially since I've been seeing raving reviews for Code Name Verity in a lot of places. What's your favourite war - that sounded super weird??? But i think i've read more books about ww1 than ww2 but one of my all time faves is The Book Thief 😃
    Lovely review, I'm glad you enjoyed this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really do!! Definitely start with Code Name Verity--that's my favorite of her books!
      That doesn't sound weird at all! My favorite war is WWII, possibly because I've read more about it, and also because WWI just doesn't make sense to me in a lot of ways 😅. (This may change...) The Book Thief is really awesome!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Ooo this sounds like a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I NEED THIS BOOK IN MY LIFE. *flails like an octopus*

    There is a random Wein book that I found at the bookstore on my shelf, and I'm hoping it'll be good? But it won't have JAMIE. And doggonit, I NEED JAMIE BEAUFORT-STUART.

    Towards the end of the post it suddenly hit me what this book must be about and how it must end, being a prequel, and......gaaaaaaaahhhhh Samantha I'm gonna diiiiieeeee. *flails some more, like a wounded octopus this time*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU REALLY REALLY DO!

      Which random Wein book is it? Because there is the off-chance that it might have a wee, wee bit of Jamie in it. ;) But this book is almost all Jamie, which is the BEST THING.

      I knooooowwwww I realized that a few chapters in, and the entire time I was on pins and needles and worrying so hard!!

      Delete
  6. We just...love Jamie. A lot.
    And I'm with you about loving Felix Baer even though he's not even that big of a character! Because he's really kind of great. And spoiler character! It didn't even occur to me that she might show up until about two pages before I was suddenly like, "WAIT. Is this going to be who I think it is??" (And it was and it made me so happy)
    I love how Jamie is always referring to his squadron(?) as "my lads" or "my kids" or "the children". It's so very endearing.
    Also incredibly endearing when he tells off certain people for bothering the girls. (I sometimes want to randomly say "Shut your mucky gob, man"--and not even because I have someone to say it to [thankfully]. Just because I love that moment in Code Name Verity so much XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really, really do.
      I know, he is kind of great! Ahhh I know! I didn't even really think she'd show up, and when she did I was...over the moon. Let's just say.
      It's so endearing! And adorable! And perfect!!
      So true! (Honestly, that is an excellent quote (and scene!!), and I think I might share your desire to use it. And I mean, I might get a chance in college? XD [Not because someone is being as bad as the character Jamie says it to is, but because someone is being vulgar or something. Idk. XD])

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!