Review: Pemberley: Mr. Darcy's Dragon by Maria Grace

Whew! It's been a hot second since I did a real one of these reviews, hasn't it? Like, a whole month! How did that happen? Okay, you're probably not here for my musings on why time feels like it goes so quickly, so...moving on.

So, I heard about this book from Jenelle, and was intrigued--I actually already had a P&P with dragons that I loved, Heartstone, but I was not opposed to finding a new favorite! Unfortunately, it didn't quite live up to my expectations...


England is overrun by dragons of all shapes and sizes. Most people are blissfully unaware of them and the Pendragon Treaty that keeps the peace between human and dragon kind. Only those born with preternatural hearing, like Fitzwilliam Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet are able to hear and converse with dragonkind.

When the first firedrake egg laid in a century is stolen from Pemberley, the fragile dragon peace teeters on collapse. Darcy has no choice but to chase down the thief, a journey that leads him to quaint market town of Meryton and fellow Dragon Keeper, Elizabeth Bennet.

Elizabeth shares a unique bond with dragons, stronger than anything Darcy has ever experienced. More than that, her vast experience and knowledge of dragon lore may be the key to uncovering the lost egg. . But Elizabeth can’t stand Darcy’s arrogance and doesn’t trust him to care properly for a precious baby firedrake. After all, he already lost the egg once. What’s to prevent it from happening again?

Can he win her trust and recover the stolen egg before it hatches and sends England spiraling back into the Dark Ages of Dragon War?


Worldbuilding/Writing Style

So, the worldbuilding was interesting. I really enjoyed many aspects of it--the various types of dragons, and they way they work, the estate dragons, the treaty between dragons and humans. I loved all the hatching parts! And Lizzie's many interactions with the dragons! However, I thought that many parts of it were not sufficiently explained. Why is there still an entail, if the dragon-keeper job passes only to people who can 'hear'? Also, why is 'hear' not capitalized, so it doesn't seem like the author/characters is/are implying that anyone who can't hear dragons can't hear at all? XD

In terms of writing style...this irritated me. A lot. In many, many places (read: probably every five pages or so, if not more frequently), the author literally lifted dialogue straight from P&P, sometimes even excising pertinent bits of the dialogue from the middle of the parts she used, so that it no longer entirely made sense. And as much as I love P&P, I loathed this. It felt like plagiarism, and worse, like cheating. If you're doing an adaptation of P&P with dragons, write your own dialogue so that it makes sense with the dragons, and matches your other dialogue! (Obviously, this is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.)

And to make matters even worse, amid this very Regency dialogue were included very modern-YA introspections from various characters, and the exclamation "gah" was used liberally, in addition to other modernisms. I cannot approve of such mixing of time periods in a writing style. I simply cannot.


Plot
The plot is basically the plot of P&P, mixed liberally with dragons, of course, up to right after the Netherfield Ball. 

There was a lot I liked about the slow pace of the plot. There was more time to explore, more time to insert dragons, etc. The fact remains, though, that it was a slow plot. 

There were things I really disliked about how the plot was done. For instance: chalking up Jane's cold to dragon persuasion. Why not just have her catch a cold from the rain?? There were things that seemed too contrived. 

In addition, it wasn't my favorite that I would have to read the entire trilogy to get all of Pride & Prejudice...

Also, Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth are thrown together way more than in the book (which is not a problem, independently), but they don't talk! They don't share information! Pertinent information, like who actually stole the dragon egg, which Darcy knows. You'd think that would be something that would be important, especially since that person ends up being important to Lizzie's story as well. This. Drove. Me. Nuts.

I did like the bit right before the ending (I think that's called the climax? Come on, Samantha's brain. XD) quite a lot.


Characters
Lizzie was very Lizzie, I will say. The author did a good job with that! (I loved how confused she was about Jane & Mr. Bingley. XD)

I liked Mary having a more active roll! And seeing the Gardiners more, as well--I liked all of them very much.

Mrs. Bennet was Mrs. Bennet enough to suit even the pickiest reader. (AKA me. XD)

Oh, but Mr. Darcy. Mr. Darcy. It seemed like the author was trying to have two reasons for his pride/rudeness? One of simple pride, and one of overstimulation in a social environment? And that's fine...it just seemed a little strange in places. The overlap was weird, and didn't quite work. (But still. I love Mr. Darcy. And I loved him here.)

Mr. Bennet, though. I abhorred the depiction of Mr. Bennet. He's like someone took Mrs. Bennet, Lady Catherine, and Mr. Collins, mixed them up, and then made them Lizzie's dad. And as an avowed Mr. Bennet fan, I cannot approve whatsoever. 

I liked Pemberley very much. :)


Romance
Very little--just some unsubstantiated stuff between Jane & Mr. Bingley.


Content
Some scary stuff with dragons, but I think that's it...very clean book. :) 


Overall Rating
I'm on the fence about rating, because I did really like the worldbuilding with dragons, and Lizzie, and I almost wanted to read the next one, so I thought about three stars...but there was a lot that irritated me, and I'm trying to be more hardcore about my book reviews, so I think I'm going with 2.5 for this one.


Reminds me of...
Heartstone by Elle Katharine White, a favorite of mine, as I've mentioned. It's also a Pride & Prejudice with dragons, but a much more creative one, in my opinion. In addition, it's a trilogy, but the first book is a complete retelling of Pride & Prejudice, and the other two books are simply a continuation of the story of the characters. This means that the first one can be read as a standalone, which is really nice! 


Have you ever read a Pride & Prejudice retelling? Do you like fantasy with dragons? What's your favorite retelling of any story?

Comments

  1. Huh. I wonder if I wouldn't have liked this book as much as I did if I'd read it versus listening to it, then? (When listening, you don't know what words are/aren't capitalized, for example) :)

    The writing and the story DEFINITELY gets better/stronger in books 2-3, and begins to deviate a TON more from the original P&P and doesn't do so much... erm... plagiarizing. :) I think the author was struggling with what to do in book one, but in books 2-3 she comes into her own and makes the story her own, as well.

    And yes... this version of Mr. Bennet is AWFUL. I hated and loathed him entirely. And he doesn't get any better. But... Donald Sutherland is MY Mr. Bennet, and this version was so vastly different that I could see them as two completely separate characters.

    I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it very much. :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...that's quite possible! And I'd imagine that a good narrator would add a lot.

      I can definitely see how that would be! The seeds of divergence from P&P were sown here, so I definitely believe they flower nicely in later books! Idk, maybe I'll try book 2 at some point...

      Yeahhhhhh...sometimes totally separating characters in one's head is necessary! But it's kind of a pain, lol. XD

      It's okay! I can definitely see how you enjoyed it, it just wasn't my cup of tea. :)

      Delete
    2. The narrator is quite fantastic. Kind of a one-man audio drama. :)

      (I might be biased, as it's the narrator I used for my own books) haha, I'm picky about narrators, so finding one I was willing to trust with my own story I guess it makes sense I'd enjoy other stories narrated by him. :)

      Delete
    3. That's really awesome! There aren't enough audiobooks that are one-man audio dramas. :)

      (Y'know what, I understand that kind of bias! :))

      Delete
  2. It's an interesting concept. I don't like when writers mix time periods or take direct quotes like that. Would definitely take me out of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that's what killed me! I thought it sounded so cool, and the execution was...not up to my standards.

      Delete
  3. You know, I've never read a P&P retelling. It amuses me (in an endearing kind of way--you know how there's snide amusement vs. endeared amusement?) that P&P fans come in so many shapes and sizes that there are not only modern retellings, but detective retellings and now, I find, fantasy retellings. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's funny! I've only read a couple, but now that you mention it, it is endearingly amusing that there are so many different types of retellings! (Wait, detective retellings? WHAT?)

      Delete
  4. Love the concept of Pride and Prejudice and having dragons in it! I haven't actually read any retellings for P&P but I've been meaning to read the Pride and Prejudice with Zombies book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's such a cool concept! I've never considered reading P&P&Zombies, but maybe someday...

      Delete
  5. This sounds bizarre. I can't wrap my head around it. But then again, who knew that there would be a version with zombies? I didn't read the book, only watched the movie, and while there were a few things that I wasn't fond of, the cast was really good! I've read Death Comes to Pemberly, but I can't think of other retellings even though I know I've read or seen some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, it is a little strange, but still enjoyable! WAIT you haven't read Pride & Prejudice? MC. WHAT EVEN. You read things! You love North & South! And Anna Karenina! You need to read P&P! (And wait, you watched the movie, not the miniseries??? I am kind of disappointed in you right now. XD XD (Kidding. Sort of.))

      Delete
    2. Just now I'm looking at my comment and realize that it was very confusing. XD Yes, I have read P&P and love it! It is my 4th favorite book of all time! And the miniseries is THE BEST. My faaaaaaaaavorite! What I meant by all of the above is that I have seen the movie Pride and Prejudice and Zombies but not read the book. And that's what I mean by the good casting. ;) I would be very disappointed in myself if I hadn't read the original. XD

      Delete
    3. Okay, okay PHEW! That makes a whole lot more sense!!! P&P is awesome, and miniseries is indeed the best. :)
      What did you think of the P&P&Zombies movie?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!