Samwise Gamgee, the Chestertonian Everyman, and Mysticism


I'm officially at college, as of the day this post goes up! I'll have a bigger update on that and how Mom's & my road trip went this past week in my post next Friday. :)

This summer, my pastor, Fr. DD, has been doing a livestreamed & semi-interactive series of talks going through G. K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy (which happens to be one of the loves of my life). And so I'm reading through it again, and listening to his talks (and asking tons of questions), and I'm getting a ton more insight into it than before! (Heads up: there may be some Chestertonian Musings in the future. In fact, I think this is the first, even if I'm not calling it that.) It's definitely been one of the highlights of my summer.

Anyway. I'm not here to talk about the talks, I'm here to talk about one of the insights I've had! We were reading chapter 2, "The Maniac", which, as I've mentioned, is rather terrifying to me, and after many pages of discussion of the problem of reducing the world by reason alone, we reached the end of the chapter, in which he gives the solution.

The solution is mysticism. 

"The ordinary man has always been sane because the ordinary man has always been a mystic. He has permitted the twilight. He has always had one foot in the earth and the other in fairyland. He has always left himself free to doubt his gods; but (unlike the agnostic of to-day) free also to believe in them."

"The secret of mysticism is this: that man can understand everything by the help of what he does not understand...the mystic allows one thing to be mysterious, and everything else becomes lucid."

This is terribly interesting, but I'm not going to dissect that point down to its base. Chesterton does an excellent job of that, and if you wish to read a dissection, read Orthodoxy. Actually, read Orthodoxy even if you don't wish to read a dissection.

What I'm going to talk about is who this reminds me of.

Yes, not "what", but "who". 

Let me change tacks for a second and give you a clue by talking about one of Chesterton's other ideas, this time from the chapter "The Ethics of Elfland" (my second-favorite chapter in the whole shebang!)

"Ordinary things are more valuable than extraordinary things; nay, they are more extraordinary."

"This is the first principle of democracy: that the essential things in men are the things they hold in common, not the things they hold separately." 

"I have always been more inclined to believe the ruck of hard-working people than to believe that special and troublesome literary class to which I belong. I prefer even the fancies and prejudices of the people who see life from the inside to the clearest demonstrations of the people who see life from the outside."

Chesterton has, not only in Orthodoxy but in many of his other works, too, a huge respect for the common person. The person who is connected to the earth. Who sees life "from the inside". Who has common sense, that true attribute of a common person. As he says a bit later,

"As long as wit is mother wit it can be as wild as it pleases." 

Common sense, and the common person. You can actually also see that from his quotes about mysticism, as well. To Chesterton, these people are the salt of the earth.

And I concur, at least where this particular person is concerned.

At this point, perhaps you've figured out who I'm talking about? Hint: it is, in fact, in the title of the post. And yes, I've been working backwards through my title, by accident, as it happens. 

Introducing the man of the hour, the "who" that all this reminds me of:

Samwise Gamgee.

The moment I heard the quote about the ordinary man being a mystic, and permitting the twilight, he popped into my head.

Because Sam, he is an ordinary man, a tiller of the soil, a hobbit of common sense, a hobbit who just wants to get back to his garden, who loves the trees and hates to see them cut down. 

And yet...he also longs to see elves. And oliphaunts. And to have an adventure.

After all, when Gandalf tells him that he's going to go on Mr. Frodo's adventure, just after pulling him out of the garden where he was working (and eavesdropping), he says, "Me go and see Elves and all! Hooray!" and then bursts into tears. 

These two things are not opposed--even if they must be somewhat separate. Just like Chesterton says in "The Paradoxes of Christianity":

"Christianity sought...to keep two colours coexistent but pure. It is not a mixture like russet or purple; it is rather like a shot silk, for a shot silk is always at right angles, and is in the pattern of the cross." 

It is inherently Sam to love his garden; it is inherently Sam to love seeing elves. 

The thing about Sam is that he sees everything with wonder, whether it's his own garden at home, the fact that seeds grow and flowers blossom, or elves and oliphaunts and the wide world. Another very Chestertonian attribute--Chesterton talks about wonder a lot, at one point in "The Ethics of Elfland" saying:

"When we are asked why eggs turn to birds or fruits fall in autumn, we must answer exactly as the fairy godmother would answer if Cinderela asked her why mice turned to horses or her clothes fell from her at twelve o'clock. We must answer that it is magic."

And again,

"life [is] as precious as it [is] puzzling. It was an ecstacy because it was an adventure; it was an adventure because it was an opportunity."

In fact, when Frodo is at his worst, Sam tries to cheer him with the humble and yet incredible and wondrous things of home:

"Do you remember the Shire, Mr. Frodo? It'll be spring soon. And the orchards will be in blossom. And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket. And they'll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields...and eating the first of the strawberries with cream." 

In case all this--Sam's common sense and earthiness and wonder--wasn't enough, there's the small matter of his optimism. "There's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for." 

This is Chesterton's perfect optimist, from "The Flag of the World" (my favorite chapter)--one who loves the world unconditionally, unreasonably, because it is his, but who is freed, by that love, to improve it, to fight for it, to, as Chesterton says, "lay it waste and turn it into the New Jerusalem." 

It works, this Sam-optimism. The world is saved and made new through his journey, his sacrifices, and his love. Specifically, though, the Shire is made new through his journey, his labors, and his love. It is he who renews it, after its degradation, with his beautiful optimism. He is truly the salt of the earth!

The salt of the earth, and perhaps, also, an ideal Chestertonian man. Would it be too much of an overstatement to say that Sam himself is an ideal Chestertonian man? 

Hmm. 


This post didn't go quite where I was thinking it would, but I suppose that's good, right? I've been pondering and putting together, and finding parallels, and concluding that Tolkien of course read Chesterton (I mean, I knew that already, but I hadn't ever seen any Chestertonian influence in Tolkien's writing before), and in fact put a lot of Chestertonian ideas in Sam. In fact, even in writing this, I've found more Chesterton in Sam than I possibly thought there was (and I'm not even done with my Orthodoxy reread yet). And I love all that very much.


What do you think? Is it an overstatement to say that Sam is an ideal Chestertonian man? Have you read Orthodoxy? If so, what's your favorite chapter? 

Comments

  1. YOU HAVE CONNECTED MY FAVORITE CHARACTER EVER TO MY FAVORITE AUTHOR EVER. Hee. I am happy.

    I hadn't really thought of Chesterton as a major influence on Tolkien until I read Joseph Pearce's /Bilbo's Journey/, and that convinced me pretty well. I mean...Chesterton was just essential reading for the Christian literary man of that generation (as I think Pearce puts it himself in the book) (...if it's not Pearce I'm not sure who said it, but I know I didn't come up with that, heh).

    And I need to reread Orthodoxy, first of all because I just DO but also because I need to pick a favorite chapter. I don't have one.

    Also also also congratulations you're at school!!! I hope it's a wonderful semester for you. I'm done with my first day of classes and exhausted but happy. And oh oh--I started listening to Surprised by Joy on the drive home, and Sam, why have I not ever gotten to know C. S. Lewis as a MAN (and not just an author) before??? I love him so much. Thanks for encouraging me to deepen my acquaintance with him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're happy! I hoped you'd be. (Honestly, every post in which I talk about anything Chesterton-related is one where you are my primary audience, so it makes me happy if you like it. XD)

      I do really need to read that book...but yeah, I hadn't thought of it either until I thought hard about it and have been reading Orthodoxy. :)

      You DO need to reread it! (And watch the videos I sent you. Just sayin'.)

      Thank you!! I'm having fun so far! It was my first day yesterday, too. :)
      Surprised By Joy is excellent, and I'm so, so excited you're reading it!! You're very welcome...it is my pleasure. :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't know any of this so this was really fascinating! And based on what you said about Chesterton and his musings, Sam really does seem to fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it was interesting! I think he does fit. :)

      Delete
  3. SAM I love this. *squeals for a thousand years* It's perfect. It's true. It is definitely not an overstatement to say Sam is the ideal Chestertonian man. (I mean...I do think Sam struggles with a very specific type of snobbery, but it's the kind Chesterton would sympathize with most, I think, if Chesterton were to sympathize with snobbery - because it's born directly out of his common sense and common-man-ish appreciation for good and disdain for evil, but basically, even though Sam's not ((quite :P)) perfect, I do think he's a perfect candidate for Ideal Chestertonian Man. Which I love that you pointed out.)

    I may have said this before, but I believe Tolkien based Sam on people he knew in the First World War? The officer's batman, the ordinary English private, people like that. Tolkien had (or at least developed, through being an officer interacting with them in the trenches and stuff) an immense respect for the Common Man, his wisdom and courage and sturdiness and general approach to life. Tolkien's such a proper-English-gentleman sort of person, I don't suppose he would ever have expressed it with Chesterton's same jocosity or hyperbole, but I think he had a VERY Chestertonian attitude toward people, despite being, like Chesterton, not really one of the regular people he had such respect for. (But then I suppose if you were one of those people you wouldn't have that respect for yourself, because that just doesn't make sense - one of Sam's greatest charms, I think, is that he's so oblivious of his own worth. Not in an insecure way, just a very humble one.)

    So ANYWAY. Tolkien probably did read Chesterton; it would only make sense. And their attitudes about mysticism and wonder and regular folk do line up SO well. It's lovely. This whole post is LOVELY, it just made me so HAPPY. Because Sam is amazing and so is Chesterton and they GO TOGETHER SO WELL.

    The chapter about madness in Orthodoxy really, really got me when I read it. It's so me. The urge to just USE REASON TO ARRIVE AT TRUTH, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ELSE BE HANGED, you know? To reason out EVERY last thing and allow no illuminating mystery? And to begin to come to the realization that you CAN'T and that this way lies insanity? And to still, in a little corner of your mind, want desperately to go down that path anyway? It's so beautifully refreshing to know how many Sams there are in the world, who have such a healthy attitude about it all. And to learn from them. That you can't know everything, but that's okay - you can enjoy it, which is better. Truth doesn't kill wonder; rather, wonder gives truth a shape. So we can actually comprehend it. Sam's such a lovely example.

    Okay. I hope some of that made sense. Basically, I love this. #MoreChestertonMusingsPlease

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SARAH your comment made my afternoon! (Well, that and the thunderstorm that's going on outside. I love thunderstorms.) I think you're right that Sam does struggle with Chestertonian snobbishness! Every aspect of him is Chestertonian, my word.

      I've heard that, too! And I love that Sam is based on the bravery of the rank-and-file of the batmen & privates! It's just...so perfect. Idk, I love it. Which is very Chestertonian, yes! (How many times can I use the word "Chestertonian" in one comment??) Tolkien's way of seeing and respecting the common people. I wonder if he had read Chesterton by the time he was in the army, and if that had anything to do with it? Hmm. (I actually have a book on my TBR for when I finish my current one about Tolkien's modern reading, so maybe I'll actually find an answer to that? One can hope.) (Sam's humility is 100% one of his greatest charms. I find that humility is generally charming, no matter what *kind of* person it exists in.)

      I'm sure he must have! After all, Chesterton was one of the great Catholic apologists who lived right before Tolkien... Aww, I'm so glad this post made you happy! It made me super happy to write as well!

      I KNOW, it's so me, too! And it's honestly REALLY scary, because going mad is one of my worst nightmares, and to know that it's easy to stumble into...ackkkkk very very frightening.
      It is refreshing to know how many Sams there are! The Sams in my life (those that are Sams in that sense, at least, if not ever sense) are good at making me appreciate the world around me. Wonder yes, gives truth a shape, and helps with other things as well, like gratitude, which Chesterton says is "happiness doubled by wonder"!

      It totally made sense! And I'm so glad you love it. :) #IWillDoMyBest...ProbablyInOctober

      Delete
  4. SAM GAMGEE. He is wonderful and I love him dearly. I haven't read Orthodoxy (though this post makes me want to...), but the quotes used in this post describe Sam so well <3
    (Okay, but now you've made me want to read Orthodoxy AND reread The Lord of the Rings...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! He is the best. :) They do describe Sam so well! Which is what surprised me when I was reading Orthodoxy. (Which, yes, you should definitely read. I'm not sorry for making you want to read it. *slightly evil chuckle*)

      Delete
  5. Love this parallel! I adore how Sam always tried to remain positive and focus on the good things. His gentle nature is super inspiring too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, his positive outlook and gentle nature are very inspirational!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!