October Wrap-Up

October is not allowed to be over. I will not allow it. Unfortunately, no one asked me... 
(Actually, true story: I am sad that October is over buuuuuut I'm also REALLY excited for November!)

Pumpkins did kinda help it feel like Fall...
1. Real quick, before I get into other things that happened this month, let's be democratic and Chestertonian and talk about the weather! October weather in Illinois is WEIRD, y'all. It didn't start being consistently under 70 degrees until the end of the month, and it even got up to over 80 at least one of the days! AND the leaves didn't start turning until like halfway through the month. Oh, and there are a lot of oak trees whose leaves don't turn, they just...turn brown and drop. XD I didn't start wearing long-sleeved shirts until the 15th! WHAT IS THIS MADNESS? And, as it happened, THEN I had to go back to short sleeves because the second day I wore long-sleeves, it was warm again and I was sweating my tush off. As of the 27th, it's only started consistently feeling like Fall yesterday. There were also a few days where it did start feeling like Fall halfway through the month, and I got alllllll the dark-academia-Fall-college-student aesthetic vibes, and I was A Fan. But question: can we get that through...all of October next time?? I'm hoping November will feel like Fall throughout...


2. I joined a prolife group on campus! The group is called WeDignify ("WeDig" for short, which, yes, does sound kind of funny), and they are super cool! The focus is in education through small groups, as well as in mentoring and education. This is the prolife group that organizes March For Life Chicago! So we're kind of a big deal. XD 

I'm in one of the small groups, run by a friend of mine (Fia, if you remember from my August Wrap-Up), where we learn about dialogue, the biology/law/philosophy of abortion, special considerations, and so on! It's really interesting, and several of my friends are also in it, so that helps. :) 

One of the things I got to do this month was go on something called Daring Greatly where we went out in small groups and just walked up to people on the quad and talked to them about abortion. I was sweating, I can tell you! But I was in a group with Alphonsus (see last month's wrap-up!) and primarily supposed to be observing, so I got to watch him and another guy do their thing and join in a little bit, which was the perfect amount of involvement--and I'm excited to do it again!

One of the other things I got to do this month was watch Unplanned for the first time. Boy howdy guys, it was a lot harder than I expected. It...brought stuff home. There was a lot to think about and I learned a lot. But overall, it was a really beautiful story. I am not sorry I watched it, even if I wouldn't recommend it to everyone (specifically please don't show it to anyone under around fifteen!). I really enjoyed hearing and seeing Abby's journey and how her slow conversion happened. I especially loved the Forty Days For Life people, and how she really did have respect for them in dialogue, even while the director of the clinic. 


I made an apple cake! :) Apropos of nothing. XD
3. Quotes: In Class Edition

"For those who want to figure out where the four points they missed on the test came from--go away. You're amazing." --My Animal Science prof.

"Florida is like Swiss cheese." --My Natural Disasters prof (apropos of sinkholes)

"JoooooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooy! WooooOOOOOOOooo!" --The slightly crazy panelist on my last day of Fine & Applied Arts 101

"The only things we get from companion animals are poop and love." --My Animal Science guest lecturer

"The sinkhole also took the deep end of a swimming pool, which became a very deep end of a swimming pool." --My Natural Disasters prof

"Flatter than Champaign, Illinois: Houston, Texas." --My Natural Disasters prof 


4. I don't usually watch movies by myself--part of why I haven't watched many movies at college, period, but one week my friends watched Coco and I only got to see the beginning bit because I had to go to Bible Study, and so that Friday, I was really tired and needed to rest and get to be early, so I decided to watch the rest of Coco (in bed, with my computer on my stomach, almost falling asleep. I regret nothing) and boy, it was really beautiful and awesome.

And I almost cried at that end scene where the whole family is together, to be completely honest. As much as I put on the show of being completely self-sufficient and Doing Fine In College (which I am, for the record) I do miss my family sometimes.

Especially during the Fall, for some reason.

ANWAYS, Coco! It had been a really long time since I watched it, and I had forgotten a lot--not the important parts, but the in-between bits, and how overall Delightful it is. I love how one of the main themes is realizing how important family is, even more important than aspirations--but how also, if you family loves you and realizes how much you love your aspirations, they'll support you. 

I also like the theme of memory--how the memory of family members is important. Even though I don't believe in Dia de Muertos (or Dia de los Muertos, or however you want to see it) and all that is attached to that, I do think that remembering family history is incredibly important for identity, and I loved seeing that reflected. One of my favorite things to do with my grandmother on my mom's side is listen to her stories. She knows an incredible amount about our family history, and this reminded me of that. (I do have all the stories she could tell in several months worth of phone calls written down for posterity and saved to the Cloud, don't worry.)

Also, the aesthetic is simply gorgeous, even though I don't "do" Dia de Muertos, I love the colors, the lights, the spirit guides, the paper lace, the marigolds, the skulls! Everything! It's a visually fantastic movie.

And the little details! Incredible attention to detail. Like the way Miguel's mom is casually pregnant the whole time. I love that.

Pixar, you were amazing. Or you are amazing. Or whatever. (We watched Onward right after I came back from Bible Study, and that was also an amazing family movie which supported the idea that kids need both a mom and a dad, so...the case can be made that Pixar is still amazing. Or was as of 2020, anyway.) 


Goat. Bridge. *chef's kiss*
5. Despite the abysmally un-Fall-like weather, there was one perfect Fall day in the middle of this month! It was cool enough that the warm sun felt like a hug, and the cold breeze playfully tugging on my hair provided the perfect counterpoint. And what did I use this perfect Fall day for? Only the best things! I went to the farmer's market with some of my friends and bought goat cheese and apple jelly and tomatoes and an entire pumpkin, which, when deposited in my backpack, forced me to maintain excellent posture. (Half of said pumpkin, roasted, is currently sitting in said friends' refrigerator. XD) We then explored a very strange supply store that consists almost entirely of things that would seem to be useless but possibly aren't, and made a trip to the Urbana library, where I acquired two books that were not on my reading list BUT which made me very happy to find. (The Thief's Knot by Kate Milford and The Hollow Boy by Jonathan Stroud). We brought our newfound goodies plus some other food from the cafeteria out to the quad and ate lunch in the sun and breeze on a picnic blanket which leaked and got our tushes all wet, while surveying the trees which have just started to turn and hoping the boys over there wouldn't hit us with their football and frisbee. 
Later that day, a couple of the same friends and a couple of new ones and I all went to a local pumpkin patch, which actually had pumpkins growing in a field, and the light was golden, and it smelled like earth and slightly rotten apples and happiness. We acquired pumpkins (well, I didn't, but others did) and took pictures in a field of zinnias, and purchased apple-flavored things, and ran unto friends unexpectedly, and watched a goat go over an elevated goat bridge.
And it was good.


6. What have I not mentioned yet...hm. Books! But instead of my usual extra review...some thoughts on my reading life.

This month made me think about my reading life a bit more than I'm used to. I was getting the panicky feeling that comes with having a long list of things that I haven't done yet, apropos of my reading list on Goodreads. 

And it occurred to me. Why am I reading like this? I don't need to try to read the most books I ever have in a month--I'm never going to top what I did when I was a kid during the summer and had nothing else to do! Reading books like they're just something on my to do list is not a recipe for happiness in my reading life. I won't absorb said books, I won't enjoy said books, and I won't enjoy the time that I spend reading.

After all, why do I read? Because it's fun. Because I love to learn. Because diving into new worlds is one of my favorite things.
Not to reach a certain Goodreads total.
Not so I can say I read x books this year.
Not so I can say I've read "all" the classics.
Not so I can check books off my list.

Because you know what? I will always have a reading list. I like having a reading list--that way, it's easy to find a book to read next. And I need to just get used to it being pretty long, because I love to read, and I love books, and so there will be a lot of books on my list, always! 

And you know what else? I'll probably get through all the books on my list at some point! I've read over two hundred books this year, and I only have eighty on my reading list. Are some of them very long? Yes. *nervous glance at the 5-volume Summa* But are some of them also very short? Yes. *smiles at the thirteen-or-so Vatican II documents* So, do I need to worry about getting through them? No. Because they are there for me to have fun reading and learning. Not so I can finish the list. Not so I can get to zero. SO I CAN HAVE FUN. And that means I can be flexible and reread, and mood read, and get books from the library, as long as I don't ignore it completely. 

So.

That's where I'm at right now. 


7. As I said in my last post, I'm doing NaNo in November! I have a couple of updates on that...

A. It has an official code name! I'm calling this particular project Project Monday for now. That may change, but for now I like it. (It is, for those in the know, a Chesterton reference. If you can figure out to what it refers, please squeal with me in the comments. ;))

B. As you may be able to guess, I'm planning to take it a bit easy on the blog! I'm planning on doing some post a couple of weeks in, either a tag or a writing update, just to take a little break from the project, and then a wrap-up at the end of the month as usual. But we'll see. :)


How's your reading life been? Have you ever seen Unplanned? Are you doing NaNo? What is Fall weather like where you live?

Comments

  1. *cough*Aren't there 16 Vatican II documents?*cough* (Sorry, it's what we're going over in class so I'm trying to prove my knowledge. And desperately hope I'm not wrong but am resisting the temptation to just look it up. XD I TOTALLY want to read them now though!! Where are you getting your copies? Is it online? Help me out here, please? *blinks innocently*)

    *SCREAMS* Coco!!!!!!!!!! I love that movie so so so so so much. I can't even. It should probably be higher on my list of favorites than it is *makes mental note to adjust that*. Pixar is brilliant and I am constantly impressed. No doubts at all. Your tone is indicating that you are starting to have doubts, so now I'm curious about that. ;)

    You know me and snow, but fall here? It is so amazing and could quite possibly be a highlight of my life. Also, I love the vibes so much (another reason why Coco is such my happy place (along with the place where my heart is utterly broken and I want to sit into a puddle of despair for ages)) (I acknowledge that I am weird. I know I'm crazy, but a crazy person doesn't know he's crazy, so maybe I'm not? One of Jack Sparrow's paradoxes.)

    Your pro-life group sounds so supportive in the best ways! I've been having troubles with things so I haven't been doing as much of ANYTHING that I had planned to. I totally want to see Unplanned someday, but I also feel like it will absolutely destroy me and make me want to just lie under my couch for eternity. (I had the impulse the other day but held back. I was very proud of myself). It's weird, Oct. 2021 will probably go down as the month MC got frustrated with everything. At least these last few days. (I am so sorry that this whole comment makes no sense at all. I'm FiNe, no worries. XD XD XD Good luck replying to this)

    This might be offensive but...wouldn't the goat fall off that bridge? Ask my mom and sisters, I don't have much confidence in the animals. XD

    Dude! I had to go through the exact same thing with books a while ago. The last few years I've been cramming at the end to meet a goal and do you know what? It's not fun. I'm very thankful to have toned it back and only used it as an escape or fun thing that I really need. Exactly, the times that I read 15 books in a month did I actually have a life? No, no I did not. XD I would rather have learning and working and enjoying living people take up my time for reading than not have those things in my life.

    I think Chesterton wrote A Man Called Thursday...so is that where Project Monday gets its name?

    Go, go, go!!! You got this!!! NaNo is going to be EPIC!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are sixteen, but only around 13 on my reading list, because I've already read like three. Actually, 12 on my reading list now, since I'm in the middle of the fourth. :) But you were right! And you SHOULD read them! I got them in a book called "The Sixteen Documents of Vatican II" that I found randomly at the library here, but you can also find them online on the Vatican archives website, I believe.

      Coco is just SO GOOD!!! The reason I'm skeptical/doubtful about Pixar is because of Soul. I haven't seen it, but I've heard...not great things about it. I've also heard ok things about it, so maybe I should watch it and form my own opinion, lol.

      Ah, I'm so glad that fall is good there!! I LOVE beautiful falls. :) (I don't think you're crazy. And having a broken heart, as long as it's not over real life, can be nice from time to time.)

      It's really wonderfully great! I would definitely recommend Unplanned, even though yes, I think it might destroy you a wee bit.
      I certainly hope you're doing fine!

      No, there are rails and mesh fencing on the bridge, so the goat doesn't fall off! If there weren't, he would be likely to *jump* off, because goats are like that.

      It's NOT fun, you're right! I still do it a LOT, but I'm trying VERY hard to be intentional about taking time to do other stuff. I do have months where I read a lot AND have a life, but it's often at the expense of my reading-related mental health.

      That is where Project Monday got its name...but there's a more specific reference from an easter egg within AMCT. :)

      Thank you! NaNo WILL be Epic! Good luck to you!!

      Delete
  2. AGH SAM NOW I HAVE TO REREAD THE MAN WHO WAS THURSDAY. Which probably won't happen anytime soon, but. Monday. ...is he the one with the glasses?

    Anywho I loved this post. It is indeed Rude of October to be over so quickly. I don't feel like I was out in it at all. But also Illinois Octobers sound a lot like Ohio Octobers? Cuz we JUST started having consistently cool weather, like, within the last week or so. Maybe it's a Midwest thing. If you count Ohio as Midwest. Illinois's Midwest, right? *shrugs off the geography*

    I feel ya on the reading thing. Although, like, I've never even attempted to make a list of all the books I want to read. It'd just stress me out, haha. And I tend to reread SO many things when I read for fun? Which maybe isn't the best thing? But also my professors have been keeping me booked with new reading material so it's not an issue at the moment. :P

    BLESS YOU for joining the pro-life group and evangelizing in the quad!! That takes SO MUCH COURAGE I'm sure. I so admire the men and women who show up on my quad every now and then. Just. That takes guts.

    Anyway. Loved this post. God bless you, Sam dear! Also I love the code name Project Monday. Even aside from the Chesterton reference, it just sounds SO COOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MEGAN YOU DO!! I don't actually remember characteristics of Monday before Chapter 15...but if you reread the first maybe page? of Chapter 15 you *might* be able to figure out the reference. :) Monday is, I have been reminded, the one called the Secretary.

      Aww, thanks! Why does October always fly by so fast?? I bet Illinois and Ohio Octobers ARE fairly similar. And I do think it's a Midwest thing, both states being Midwest in my book (but I am horrible at geography, so...grain of salt?).

      I half love having a list, so I don't doodle around trying to find books, or forget books I want to read, but...I definitely get the argument of it-would-stress-me-out. And I need to get back to rereading more! Because that's one thing I do for fun, too! (I have a bunch of books I want to reread this winter. For some reason, winter is a rereading time. Especially for Madeline L'Engle).

      It was quite scary, I do assure you! It's so awesome that people do that in y'all's quad, too!!

      Thank you so much, Megan! God bless you, too, m'dear. (And I'm glad you like the code name--because I do, too. :))

      Delete
  3. I'm so sad about the end of October.
    Glad you got one perfect fall day in there.
    Hope Nano goes great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit depressing, really.
      I am too!
      Thanks so much, Skye!

      Delete
  4. Okay, Fall in southern Illinois sounds VASTLY different than Fall in northern Illinois and that is weirding me out a bit. Because fall up near Chicago starts in September, and yeah, sometimes you get an occasional warm day or week even in October, but the leaves start turning when actual fall begins, and temps are usually between 40-60 all through October. It was not uncommon for it to be snowing or at least flurry-ing on Nov. 1st (notable because it's my mom and sister's birthday) :)

    What you're experiencing sounds way more like what I experienced in NC, when Fall didn't properly start until close to the end of October, or November. And that always depressed me, so I empathize.

    So weird.

    Here in Wisconsin, fall starts PROMPTLY on September 21st. (or thereabouts) and generally dives down into the colder temperatures pretty quick (last year it snowed a LOT in mid October!) We had an extended period of warmth this year, though, glorious 60s and even a couple of days of high 70s deep into October (which I didn't mind one bit because it made standing outside for hours and hours at my daughter's cross country meets a LOT less uncomfortable). And trick-or-treating is always more fun if you're not freezing to death (or having to cover up your cool costume in a parka). :)

    ANYWAY... I'm a weather nut.

    That is awesome that you've joined a pro-life group on your campus and are getting to talk to people about it!

    Coco is really a beautiful movie. It kinda creeped my kids out when we watched it, but it is lovely. And I don't go in for Dia de Muertos either, but I liked learning more about it.

    Oh, I'm so glad that you looked at your reading and decided not to let it stress you out! YES! Reading should be fun! (Sometimes I think about quitting Goodreads, for similar reasons... but then I remind myself that it's not a race, or a competition, and that I LIKE having a list to look back on what I've read... and you know... maybe get reviews written someday...) hehe.

    Best wishes on Project Monday!!! I hope NaNo goes well for you! I'm being a Rebel and editing this month, but I'm officially participating as a rebel, so that's fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I mean, there is a semi-significant latitude difference, which may have something to do with it? Fall starting in September is what I'm used to. Although I can't complain about not having it snow here in November! (Oh, and happy belated birthday to your sister and your mom! You know what's crazy? That's my grandpa and my aunt's birthday, too! Apparently Nov. 1 is a popular day to be born...)

      It was a bit depressing, but now that it's properly Fall-ish, I think it was worth the wait...not that I wouldn't go for Fall-in-September-or-at-least-October in a heartbeat, but the anticipation might be kind of fun, now that I know that Fall actually WILL come, just not until November. XD

      Wow, snow in mid-October! That's crazy! I'm glad you had a warm October this year, though--as long as leaves are turning and a cool breeze is blowing, 60s and 70s can be really nice. :) Trick-or-treating is definitely more fun without covering up the costume--a struggle I've had to deal with a couple of times...

      Hey, the weather is objectively interesting!

      Haha, I can definitely see how Coco would creep people out!

      I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about Goodreads...and I stay around for similar reasons! I love seeing what I've read and what I thought about it.

      Thank you so much! Best wishes for your rebellious editing, too! :)

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear your October was good! Pumpkins really do help.
    You're reading through Lockwood&Co!! What do you think? I think I remember you saying you liked the first book so I assume you must be liking the rest of them. I'm still excited you're reading it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do!
      I'm really liking it! I so far have only read books 1 & 3, but I think I'll definitely read more in the future! They're so much fun, honestly, even if they do send shivers up my spine at times. :)

      Delete
  6. I can't believe I haven't seen Unplanned yet. I have been meaning to ever since it came out. i really need to watch it.
    COCO. ONWARD. PIXAR WHEN IT IS GOOD AND WHOLESOME. I was so pleased with both Coco and Onward (family! YAY!). Especially since I am an avid Pixar fan and so much of their stuff has been disappointing to me recently (I say "recently" but I really mean "ever since Cars 2 came out" which was more years ago than I can quite comprehend). I really, really appreciated the family themes in both Coco and Onward and just thinking about them now makes me happy. Have you seen Pixar's newest movie Luca yet? I haven't seen it, but I plan to at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth the watch! I thought about seeing it when it came out, but in retrospect, I'm glad I waited until I was a bit older.

      BOTH OF THEM! SO GOOD! I'm glad that they've managed to get back some of their spark for you...I'm continually a little worried about modern films, so those two were really nice surprises. :) I have seen Luca! I watched it over the summer with my siblings, and I thought it was delightful, but not quite as good as Coco or Onward.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!