The Narnia Tag

I just finished my Narnia readthrough, so what better time to do the Narnia tag? (I apologize in advance if any of my answers are weird in any way...as I write this, I'm getting over a bout of dehydration + vertigo, which is not something I ever experienced before, so I'm a bit off my game. XD (Don't worry, though, I'm fine! Really!!))
ANYWHO.
On to the tag.


Praecepta
Thank the person who nominated you (thanks so much, Sarah!!)
Describe the rate of your Narnia fanatic (nostalgic, serious, maniacal)
Answer the questions below
Tag 5+ bloggers
Have fun! 


 Nostalgic Fanatic — you read the book and/or watched the movies as a child and the word Narnia gives you a warm feeling

 Serious Fanatic — you rediscovered the wonder of Narnia after you were older and have read the books and watched the movies

 Maniacal Fanatic — you have lived Narnia from childhood, hid in closets on more occasions than is healthy, have read and watched all the movies including the BBC version

Hmmm. Well, I think I'm a Serious-Maniacal fanatic. I've read the books as an adult (wow, that's weird to type...I don't feel like an adult most days at this point) but I've only watched The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe out of the modern movies (do not try to make me change this, I hear that Prince Caspian is an abomination and Dawn Treader is even worse. Except, I secretly have a tiny sneaking wish to see PC brought to life...so don't tempt me. Please). I was, however, introduced to Narnia as a Tiny Person and definitely hid in closets/played Narnia with my siblings, AND have seen the BBC LWW. So. Serious-Maniacal.

On to the questions!


All the pictures in this post are original Pauline Baynes illustrations, colored and uncolored, to the best of my knowledge. Credit to her!
Who's your favorite Pevensie sibling?
Hmm. Immediately it's down to Peter or Lucy, I do believe. Not that I don't love Edmund (because I do, and I'll be talking about that in a sec) and Susan (although she makes me sad), because I do, but because I really *love* Peter and Lucy. As Pevensie siblings, specifically. But I think it's Lucy who I'll choose. Not because I don't deeply related to Peter, as the oldest and all, because I do. But because Lucy is...Lucy. I've always loved Lucy best since we first read the books, and she was the one I related to the most because she was my age...and I still do. I love her simple awe for Narnia, the way she grows up into a queen, and how she clearly learns the lesson that Aslan wants her to learn after the end of Dawn Treader--I'm thinking of the moment where in Last Battle, she says (and I'm paraphrasing) "Even in our world, a stable once held the whole world." 
I think she's the one who has the relationship with Aslan that I most relate to, as well. I only just thought of that, and it's interesting me greatly. :)


What is the most underrated Narnia[n] book?
Quick note: C. S. Lewis was most irritated by the substitution of "Narnia" as a descriptor for the serious rather than his preferred "Narnian", so I am doing my best to respect his preferences. :)
This question is interesting because it doesn't ask what is *my* most underrated Narnian book is, but what *the* most underrated Narnian book is. This is an objective question that can be answered by a glance at Goodreads, I do believe. 
*glances at Goodreads*
*angry eyebrow raise*
Coming in with an average rating of 3.91, .31 less than the highest rating of a book in the series, is The Horse and His Boy.
Aka my favorite Narnian book. 
Everyone on Goodreads needs their brains checked. Dang.
Seriously, what? How is The Horse and His Boy not one of the top-rated Narnian books? I mean, it has everything--adventure, a coherent and "typical" plot, a hint of romance, compelling characters (more on that in a second), dangerous setting, just the amount of the divine touching the human, and a beautiful ending. 
So, ???


Who is your favorite Narnian king?
I thought about this quite a bit, because it is a hard question.
The answer, which surprised me, if I'm being honest, is Edmund.
The thing is, Edmund was never my favorite anything when I was younger. He was the traitor, the younger brother (I am an oldest, okay, and was very invested in that identity when I was little), the "boring" one.
And now, thinking about it, I like him more and more.
He truly understand the gravity of his actions in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
He's the one who believed Lucy in Prince Caspian, and also displays a wonderful sense of humor with the whole DLF thing.
I don't remember the exact details of his conversation with Eustace in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, but I remember that it's Good.
He's so beautifully humble in The Horse and His Boy when he's talking about Rabadash and traitors in general. And yet, he's also a Man, and a Gentleman, who will protect his sister from harm and keep safe those who need safety. 
Lewis sums it up pretty well in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: "Edmund was a graver and quieter man than Peter, and great in council and judgement. He was called King Edmund the Just."

Lowkey would marry the guy, y'all.

(Your next question is probably "why not Peter?" because I just said he was 2nd on my list of favorite Pevensies. Answer: we honestly don't get to see a lot of King Peter. We see a great deal of King Edmund, and I am a fan. Plus sometimes my brain just works that way. Two different categories = two different answers. Don't ask me why.)


Who is your favorite Narnian queen?
This is probably the hardest question in this whole batch, if I'm being honest with you. There are really only three Narnian queens to consider: Lucy, Susan, and Helen. And perhaps Ramandu's Daughter, but we don't really get a lot of her, so I'm ruling her out at the moment.
And not Susan. I really do feel for Susan, but...she's not really my favorite anything.
So, it's either Lucy or Helen. I really feel like I should say Lucy, since she's my favorite Pevensie...but honestly, I really love Helen. Even though she's not in as many books. I don't know--it's not very logical, but I do love the moment where she steps into Narnia, and Lewis says (paraphrase again) "if she'd known she was going to come, she'd have put on her best clothes, including her hat with cherries on it, and would have looked much worse". 
I do love Lucy. But...Helen for this answer, I think.


Which non-human Narnian do you like best?
Bree.
I know, I know, you all are going to jump on me and tell me that really, it's Puddleglum who is deserving of my unalloyed affection. 
And yes, Puddleglum is great, but no one beats Bree in my book. 
The thing is, The Horse and His Boy is my favorite book, as we've established, and Bree is one of the (many) reasons for that. He's just so...perfect. Not literally, I'll get to that in a second, but he is truly a Talking Horse, and he is just as a Talking Horse should be, and it is one of Lewis's best successes in Talking Animals, in my opinion. And he's just so funny! And also smart, to be fair. And gruff but very kind to Shasta. I think I still remember the introduction of Bree when my dad was reading the books aloud to me for the first time, and I just *loved* him! 
But perhaps the most important reason I like Bree is that he's like me. I also can be proud, haughty, judgy, and afraid of embarrassing myself, even by doing the things I love (at times). And I hold myself to a high standard, just as he does. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the others are.
And I always so desperately need what he gets--a humbling encounter with God that leads to growth.


Which book deserves a movie?
None of them really deserve that fate, methinks, in the conventional connotation of the word "movie". But in her post, Sarah cribbed an idea from Katie @ I'm Charles Baker Harris (And I Can Read), that of a watercolor animated adaptation of Narnia. And that I am entirely on board with. In which case, I'd recommend starting with The Magician's Nephew, not because that's the right order, but because that's the right book to start that medium with. 


What is the one thing you did as a Narnia fan that you do not regret?
I honestly haven't done many things as a Narnia fan specifically. But one thing I definitely don't regret is listening to the books (usually Prince Caspian) on CD on every. single. family. camping. trip. ever. (By family camping trip, I mean: Dad and me and my siblings. Mom does not "do" camping.) That tradition holds SO much nostalgia for me! And I can't listen to Prince Caspian without thinking about past camping trips. :)


Tagging:
I don't think I know of anyone who I know of who has read Narnia and hasn't done this tag, so I'm going to open this tag up to anyone who wants to do it!! Have fun.


What's your favorite thing about The Horse and His Boy? Have you listened to the Narnian audiobooks? Have you ever gotten dehydrated enough to get dizzy? XD

Comments

  1. I LOVED YOUR ANSWERS SO MUCH!

    Also... I looked through my blog and... I haven't done this tag yet? (What is wrong with me?) I remember seeing it going around a while back and think it must be one of those where I thought about it and talked about it in comments so much that I thought I'd done it! SO I'm totally going to snag it in the near future since you put it up for grabs!

    My favorite thing about the Horse and His Boy... I don't know. It's such a lovely story. Probably Aravis. She's one of my favorite characters of ever. Though I love them all, so it's hard to choose.

    I have listened to several of the audiobooks. I don't think I've listened to all of them, but I know I've listened at least to LWW and Dawn Treader. They are fabulous.

    I have never gotten that dehydrated. I'm sorry you went through that! Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks!!

      Oh, you should DEFINITELY do the tag! I would love to see your answers! And it's so much fun, honestly.

      Aravis. <3 She's definitely one of my favorite characters, too! And I love that she's so central in HaHB. :)

      The audiobooks ARE fabulous! They got such good actors to do them. Would 10/10 recommend getting a copy of all of them for kids (and you!) to listen to over and over. XD

      Haha, that's probably for the best! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. This was so fun! I feel like I've mentioned this before so it's not really news but I haven't officially read through all the books yet but I really need to. I think I've read most of them though. I think the Magician's Nephew was one that I didn't finish at the time but from what I read of the begining of the book with the pools and it's just a very green book to me visually when I read it and I would love to see it in a movie or something.
    The Horse and his Boy was one that was one of my favourites I think at the time but it's been so long. There were a couple of the books that stood out to me more than the rest. From what I remember a scene that I quote quite a lot was the one where the princess was like I'm going to burn him to death at the stake, and then I will have him drawn an quartered to death and..." and whoever it was she was talking too was like 'You're majesty? I-I think, just going on a limb here, I think you can only kill a person to death once.'

    Also this is a reminder to drink more water! XD I passed out once years ago at a tire shop/mechanic shop once because I didn't realize how dehydrated and low-blood sugared I was at the time. Not exactly a life highlight of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! You should definitely read all of them all the way through! They're SO excellent! (And lovable.) The Magician's Nephew is definitely visually appealing in so many ways.
      Horse and His Boy is a good favorite, not that I'm biased at all...
      Oh, that's a fun scene! "If anyone tells I will have him [somethinged] to death and then burned alive and then put on bread and water for six weeks. There." XD XD I don't think the people answered back like that--that's left to the reader, who, especially if the reader is a kid, generally does answer that it's ridiculous! ;)

      Okay! I'm reminded! (I need to wash my water bottle this morning so that I don't die (long story) but then I will drink Lots Of Water.) WOW that sounds stressful! I've never passed out, but it doesn't sound fun. (Although I secretly want to, just so I know how it feels, lol.)

      Delete
  3. I love The Horse and his Boy! Don't know why more people don't it's such a good book.
    I think I used to relate to Lucy or she way my favorite, but now I relate more to Edmund.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's an amazing one! It should be everyone's favorite!
      Same, for sure!

      Delete
  4. This is another reminder to me that I NEED to reread Narnia! But, I've never read the whole series. I only read the Magician's Nephew, the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the Horse and His Boy, and Prince Caspian. I was only 12 at the time and honestly, I only remember the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. That's probably because I watched the movie first and remember being scared. I will definitely do this tag after I read all of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You DO need to reread them! And definitely get to The Last Battle, Dawn Treader, and The Silver Chair! LWW is definitely the most memorable for a first read, but the others definitely grow on one. :) The movie was pretty intense! I watched it a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, but I wouldn't have wanted to see it when I was twelve...
      Definitely do the tag! I'd love to see your answers!

      Delete
  5. So, Puddleglum is Objectively The Best Character Of All Time, BUT if one was going to have a different favorite, Bree would ABSOLUTELY be the correct answer. Because he's hilarious! And a darling! And so very flawed! And also kind and...hilarious. I love Bree to death; he's definitely my second-favorite Narnian (and character from the series), and although of course you're wrong about Puddleglum...I'll allow it. Special for you and Bree.

    Bree is also a good deal of why The Horse and His Boy is Objectively The Almost-Best Chronicle Of All Time. But also Hwin (DARLING) and Shasta and Aravis and the SETTING! The setting is so different, with Tashbaan and the desert and up in the mountains...ahhhh. I love it. "Just the right amount of the divine touching the human" YES. That also makes me think of Mercury, it has all the Mercury vibes. And I do like that it has a normally-structured plot! And why on earth is it so underrated? Hmmph. I am Not Pleased with you, people of Goodreads, Not Pleased At All.

    I got so dehydrated once I almost passed out. I wasn't exactly dizzy, but I...couldn't see? And I guess maybe I was dizzy, because I do remember the world dipping a bit, and I was clinging to the counter-top and would definitely have fallen if I hadn't been. Although now that I think about it, that might have been just my blood pressure plunging, not the dehydration...I was sick at the time. I was super dehydrated, though. ANYWAY. XD What happened to you? Did you dehydrate yourself while standing at the edge of a cliff or something??? Because that, my dear Sam, let me tell you, is a Bad Idea. Likely to get you sent off to Narnia with only some Signs and a grumpy friend to help you rescue a missing prince. (So on second thought...maybe not such a bad idea?) (I'm glad you're okay!)

    Lucy is the best. She's probably my favorite Pevensie, in that she's the one I latched onto as a little kid and the one I connect with and enjoy reading from the point of view of (and she's so awesome), but I appreciate Edmund so much that I don't know who's really my favorite. Lucy is the best, though. And I will give you motivation not to watch PC if you want: I watched the first half of it with my sisters and was Not Impressed; it's slow and the characters are flat and the CGI animals are just a little bit terrifying, especially Reepicheep. Which was pretty disappointing, honestly. A Narnian movie would be so cool, if it was good. (That's the only one I've seen part of - besides the very beginning of the BBC LWW. Which I should watch the rest of!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know, everyone loves Puddleglum! XD He's hilarious and also loyal and lovable, but I JUST LOVE BREE. Also, I think Puddleglum weirded me out when my dad read me Silver Chair the first time, so that might have something to do with it. XD I do approve of your having Bree as second favorite. :)

      He IS a good deal of why HHB is so good, but you've named many of the other reasons, too! I hadn't actually thought about the setting making it amazing, but I think you're right! It's such a vividly described other area of this world. I think it goes to show how versatile Lewis is, honestly...he's done a great job describing Narnia, and now he can describe Tashban just as well AND in such a way that you can believe it's in the same world as Narnia. (I need to know what Mercury vibes are! I.e. I need to read Planet Narnia!) Indeed. The People of Goodreads are In The Wrong here.

      Oh dang, dehydration and blood pressure dropping and almost passing out...all of that sounds most unpleasant! Don't get dehydrated when you're sick. :) For me, I just Didn't Drink Water for like two days (or not much, at least), because I needed to wash my water bottle I think, and I was up in one of the RA's room with another friend, and suddenly the room was dipping and moving, and I felt sick, and I wasn't convinced I could walk in a straight line. And I said this to them, immediately sat down, and was fussed over and gotten water and so on...and then got super grumpy, because that's what happens when I'm sick, I get independent and grumpy. XD But with enough water in me, I was fine. I did not dehydrate myself while standing on the edge of a cliff that might get me sent off into Narnia, unfortunately.

      She is the best! She's the one I latched onto as a little kid, too. I wonder if that's a universal? I'm in the same boat as you, too, as evidenced by my picking of Edmund as my favorite Narnian king! Okay, I will Not Watch PC Unless Forced, ESPECIALLY if Reepicheep is bad. That is disappointing, though. We need good Narnian movies! Except, I LOVE the casting of the 4 children, and that won't work anymore, since they're grown up, which makes me sad. (Honestly, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is a pretty good movie...the non-BBC version, I mean. If you can let go of a couple of little plot points that are not quite right.)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!