Know The Novel Part 2: Within Project Monday

So! It's NaNoWriMo! And I'm dying! Haha! Just kidding! I'm fine! Everything is fine! 
Indeed. To tell the truth, NaNo is actually going quite well, and so am I, it's just that some days feel more like that than others. So, today I am bringing you a post written on one of the days where I more-or-less felt like everything was going well. I'm incredibly excited to participate in Christine Smith's Know the Novel linkup for the very first time!! I chose not to participate in the first bit of this particular linkup because it involved my arch-nemesis, details, but the second part, with its questions mostly able to be answered in the particular vague way that I answer all questions pertaining to my WIPs, looked like fun!
So here we are.

(Note: all the pictures in this post (besides the banner, obvs) were taken during writing sessions (mostly) in various locations around campus. I thought they were fun. :))


1. How’s the writing going overall?
Overall, it's going well! I for some reason have been able to just pound out the words! This story wants to be told, I guess? And I have the means to tell it? I hit 30k on the 9th (not gonna lie, I am SHOCKED by this). At this point, I know that the story is DEFINITELY going to be more than 50k, so I'm hoping that maybe, juuuust maybe, I can get through to the end by the end of the month. I'm not going to beat myself up if I don't, but that's my hope. :) I mean, I have two multi-hour plane flights planned, and what are plane flights for if not writing (and reading)?

I will say, it is getting a little less...consistently thought out...as I go, and by that, I just mean that there's a bit less sensory detail, a little less thought put into what the narrator reveals or doesn't, and a little less dialogue consistency. But you know what, that's what the 2nd draft is for. 


2. What’s been the most fun aspect about writing this novel so far?
The amount that I get excited to write! There's been at least once where I knew what was going to happen next (an insight during Mass, actually...), and ended up staying up a bit late to get all of that written down before it left my mind! Pounding out words like I'm running out of time (because I was...I needed to go to bed!) is a sensation that I'm not used to, and I enjoyed it.

Also, I think I'm engaging more with the NaNo community this year, especially through DMs on the NaNo site, so that's been really fun. And, as I mentioned, Legolas is doing it this year, too, and we've only word wars-ed once so far, but we have been cheering each other on!

And lastly, this project originally started out with the germ of an idea and a list of all my favorite tropes, many of which I'm trying to incorporate, so getting to spend a lot of time with some of my favorite fictional conditions has been great!


3. What do you think of your characters at this point? Who’s your favorite to write about?
There are more of them than I thought, haha. I have a bajillion secondary characters, and I keep forgetting about some of them! I have a vivid-ish image of each of them in my head, but that's not really getting translated at this point.

My MC has been a bit of a surprise...she's very intellectual and gentle in many ways, but she can also be remarkably ruthless, and good at keeping secrets, which is a bit weird. I often find that my MCs, especially when I'm writing in the first person, are very much reflections of parts of me, so I find it funny that this particular MC has a few parts that I don't always see very often, as well as some that I do. She definitely talks less than me, that I will say.

Her mentor, her spiritual father, if you will, is one of my favorite characters to write, for sure (my MC might be my favorite? not positive), but he can be a bit of an issue because he's based on someone I know in real life, and that has made seeing that person in real life a little weird. XD

There's one other significant character who is being VERY taciturn and keeping to herself...I'm having a very hard time getting inside her head, which is certainly interesting, if frustrating.

Oh well. At least, I know all their names. *glares at the MC of Project Megan's Godchild*


4.  Has your novel surprised you in any way?
Since I'm pantsing...yes.
All the yes. *thinks about specific events and chortles*
Especially since I had no idea what would come after the inciting incident, except for one plot point that I still haven't gotten to yet.
Even though I'm fairly far past the inciting incident, I still don't really know what's going to happen  except for the one plot point, which is fun. I do have a vague idea of what else is going to happen, and it's far more mean to my characters (and myself) than I ever would have expected. So that'll be lovely.
What, you thought I was going to give you details? Ha, so funny! Of course not!


5. Have you come across any problem areas?
There are certainly a few! My pacing is going to need to be spruced up a bit in draft 2, as well as the afore-mentioned large cast issues and lack of consistency/thought. But mainly, I think I'm slightly low on theme at this very moment. Which a little concerning, but not really, because while my stories often come with a theme, they don't always, and I have a feeling that the theme for this one is going to take a little while to tease out. 



6. What’s been your biggest victory with writing this novel at this point?
Getting what I saw in my head onto the page! And keeping the action going, so I don't have any (or many, at least) draggy bits in the middle where I'm bored. I think the lack of boredom is definitely one of the things that's been making it easy to get so much work done so quickly!


7. If you were transported into your novel and became any one of the characters, which one do you think you’d be? Would you take any different actions than they have?
Hmmm. Well, given that I've already said that I am similar to my MC in many ways, it's possible I'd be her, but I might also be one of the other characters in the large cast (maybe BJM, whose initials I am giving only, to avoid spoilers, who is very intellectual and desirous of the answers to complicated philosophy questions. Or perhaps BTD, who is basically the responsible older brother of the whole group.) (And yes, I said 'group', because yes, there might be a leetle bit of a found family. :) Does this make me happy? Yes indeed.)

But as to what I'd do differently...I think I might take more initiative than any of them? I definitely have an aggressive side to me that I have not given to...any...of my characters. For instance, BTD has to try to wake up BCG at one point, and he's really hesitant about doing it...and I might have just gone and banged on his door. But idk...maybe not.


8. Give us the first sentence or paragraph and then 2 (or 3!) more favorite snippets!
I am known to be notoriously stingy with any sort of details (obviously) buuuut since this is part of the prompt, you will get three tiny out-of-context snippets. :)

First sentence: As happens most days, I wake up to the sound of a light double tap on my door.

Two more snippets:

They're my family. It will never not be devastating.

"Who are you calling young man? I'm approximately eight years older than you."
"As long as I have better table manners than you, I'll keep calling you young man."


9. Share an interesting tidbit about the writing process so far! (For example: Have you made any hilarious typos? Derailed from your outline? Killed off a character? Changed projects entirely? Anything you want to share!)
Definitely some hilarious typos so far! At one point, I was trying to say that a character said something quietly, and instead typed 'silently'. Silent communication = not yet possible.

 Another time, I was trying VERY hard to spell 'repeat' with another e at the end, i.e. 'repete/repeate/reapete/reapeate' and it took me a while to figure out what was wrong. 

As for the other questions, I never had an outline, and haven't changed projects! Which is good, because I WUV this one.

But as for killing characters, I plead the fifth. (And I also plead the fifth on whether I have any character deaths planned, down the line.)


10. Take us on a tour of a what a normal writing day for this novel has looked like. Where do you write? What time of day? Alone or with others? Is a lot of coffee (or some other drink) consumed? Do you light candles? Play music? Get distracted by social media (*cough, cough*)? Tell all!
The 'normal writing day' for this project has looked really different almost every day! It mostly looks like me grabbing random time (that I both can and can't spare) between classes and meetings and homework. Some mornings, I can get up early enough to write before homework at like 7 AM, and some mornings at that time I need to be getting my morning routine done so I can get to work at 7:45. Some days, I am able to nab the time between my 1 o'clock and 3 o'clock class MWF to write, and other days I take that time instead to have ridiculous conversations with my Newman family and recharge. Some days I do laundry and write. Some days, to be honest, I write in class (but only if I either know what's going on or the prof is going slow enough that I can take notes, too). T
he nabbed-writing-time writing takes place all over, as my photos in this post testify--the Agricultural Engineering building, the ice cream place, the laundry room, the library, the Newman caf...

On Saturdays and Sundays, when I have uninterrupted writing time, or if I'm writing before bed on a weekday, I write on my bed, legs perpendicular to the length, back against the wall. I think I've quite possibly spent more time on my bed when I'm not sleeping in the past ten-ish days than the rest of the semester combined.  

There's almost always my NaNo Playlist playing through my earbuds, and sometimes there's a mug of tea next to me (but not any coffee yet), but there's no candles because those are not allowed in Newman, tragically. (And yes, sometimes I get distracted by social media...mostly blogs and Goodreads.)


So, how are you doing? Have you ever written in class? If you're doing NaNo, please tell me how that's going! And if not, how's your November so far? :)

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh! Love it so much!
    Yes, I'm doing NaNo as well, and I feel like on my 2nd draft I'm going to have to add a whole load of details (I'm very vague). Surprisingly, I'm the opposite of you - I have very few characters in my book (Going to have to work on that a lot). ;)
    My book is doing fine, although I just went through a section of editing (I was not finished with the book, but I thought it was going to end too fast, so I deleted more than 2k words. I felt actually not that bad, although I do not want to delete 2k or more words in one of my projects ever again).
    I also get distracted, but I've found that NaNo has been changing my life (I've improved so much in getting my work done quickly). So glad that I started, because I also get so excited about writing (It feels like, when you write, you've actually accomplished something and I just love that).
    Catch you next time!
    -chuskgli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! Sorry! I should've told you who I was. I'm related to you and am besties with your older younger brother.

      Delete
    2. Hey chuskgli! I thought that might be who you were, but I wasn't sure until you left the second comment. :)

      So cool that you're doing NaNo, too! There's always something that we know we need to work on in the second draft...

      Oof, deleting 2k sounds horrible! Dang. I definitely hope you don't have to do that again!

      I'm glad NaNo has been a positive influence in getting work done quickly! I've seen that, too, to a certain extent. It is always lovely to feel like one has accomplished something when writing!

      Delete
  2. Until this moment I completely forgot that it was possible to write outside as Pages on Apple in fact does not need Wifi...WHY HAVE I BEEN MISSING OUT ON THIS? XD

    Yeah, I'd say going over 30k is doing pretty well. XD Yes, try to finish the whole thing in November! Or, at least keep it up! I have an AWFUL habit of hitting 50k or the end of November then...never finishing the story? Yeah, it's no bueno.

    The "young man" snippet? = my older sister. She calls everyone "young", even when they are noticeably older. XD I love it! And a found family??? :D :D :D Very good indeed. My MC's main desire is to have a family and I'm having the most fun giving her one...which is why it is going to be all the more satisfying to rip them away...

    (Also, for some reason I always try to write a little kid into my stories and it is always so bad and unrealistic, but I think this one is going pretty well! She is quietly mischievous and there is a character who is like a big brother and they are always teasing each other and it is MY NEW FAVORITE. :D)

    You know, slow burn themes are the best. I'm info dumping any kind of theme I could ever want into this book and it is making it feel sluggish. Am not a fan.

    It's nice that your writing has been happening earlier in the day! It sounds like you have a good schedule, besides the in class writing. It's so weird, as every other year I have woken up early and always gotten my writing done right away, but this year I only reluctantly and tiredly start at 10 each night. I am feeling quite dead. X_X But, this weekend I hope to fix that!

    Anyway, hope you have an awesome weekend and rest of NaNo! I'm so happy that we got this peek, in all the best and vaguest of ways. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's cool! I would definitely recommend writing outside!! (Although I have to be careful when I do it, because saving my work to OneDrive DOES require wifi, lol.)

      I'll do my best! I'm not sure how long this story is going to balloon to (it's getting ridiculous, honestly) but I'm still really enjoying working on it, so I don't foresee myself stopping when I get to 50k! But we'll see.

      Haha, I love that! It's something I do sometimes, too. :) Your MC is getting a family and then losing them? Dang, that's brutal! But it'll make for an excellent story.

      Ooh, ooh, I love putting kids in stories, too! I don't *precisely* have one in the current WIP, but it is tricky, especially since memories of BEING a kid may not include how one ACTED as a kid, which is weird and hard to work around. Glad it's going well, though! ;)

      Well, if the theme is so slow-burn that one doesn't even know it's there yet...that can be a bit of a problem. XD At least with info-dump themes, in the second draft you can just weave them in and tie up the loose ends!

      It is nice, although it doesn't happen every day...the last two days I've been up late trying to reach my goal, which wasn't my favorite! I'm really impressed with you for starting at 10 each night, for pete's sake! And still getting writing actually done! If I started that late, I would stare at the screen like it had three heads and then fall straight to sleep. XD

      Thank you! I hope you have a good rest of NaNo, too! :)

      Delete
  3. Aaaahhhh this whole post made me happy! I'm so very glad you're joining the linkup!!! :D (And sometimes I think I share TOO many details about my WIPs publicly, so I don't blame you one bit for wanting to keep things vague.)

    I am in AWE how much you've been able to write amidst so much busyness! That is so admirable! That is also such a fun thing that you're trying to incorporate all your favorite tropes! I can imagine that definitely makes the writing process 100x more epic. I love this! :D

    Also: "As long as I have better table manners than you, I'll keep calling you young man." is a TOP NOTCH line and I'm grinning so hard over here. XDD

    This was all such a delight. Thank you so, so much for joining the linkup! I do hope this second half of NaNo (how are we already two weeks in???) is absolutely spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! And I've really enjoyed joining the linkup, so thank you for hosting it!! (I don't think you share too many details! I love hearing about your WIPs. ;))

      Thank you! It's really a function of how much I'm enjoying writing--if I enjoyed it less, I certainly wouldn't make as much time, but I do make time for the things I enjoy! And yes, incorporating the favorite tropes definitely contributes to the enjoyableness. :)

      Ahh, thanks! I honestly forgot I wrote that line, and then I was going through looking for snippets and was like "wait, I wrote this? I love it!" so I'm happy other people love it, too! XD

      You're very welcome! And thank you again for hosting it! Have a lovely second half of NaNo as well, Christine!

      Delete
  4. "They're my family. It will never not be hard."

    SAMANTHA WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO YOUR POOR CHARACTERS.

    Ahem. Ahem. I'm fine. It's fine.

    This sounds so intriguing and cool and...scary, really scary, and UNIQUE and there's a FOUND FAMILY. *squeals* I've only just begun to realize how deeply I love found families.

    30k right off the bat! Congratulations! Dang girl you get a lot of writing done. (How do you write like you're running out of time? Write day and night like you're running out of time? Every day you write like you're running out of time like you're running out of time are you running out of time--)

    Ahem. Again, I'm fine.

    Also your campus is REALLY PRETTY and I would be jealous if I didn't have a biplane in the library. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um...nothing? *looks up at the ceiling* *drums fingers casually* *pretends that she didn't almost cry during the writing session this morning*
      [This is legitimately brutal for me too, Megan. It's bad. XD]

      Ahh, thank you so much! I'm SO glad that it sounds intriguing to you! That's rather the hope. :)

      Thank you! (Lol, I do write like I'm running out of time, but I hope I'm not. Or rather, I know I am, because we all are, but I hope I'm not running out of time as fast as Hamilton did, even if my characters are. *sobs*)

      I know, isn't it?? But a biplane in the library is worth a lot. XD

      Delete
    2. (I DO NOT LIKE THAT DARK HINT ABOUT YOUR CHARACTERS' SIMILARITY TO HAMILTON. I DO NOT LIKE IT.)

      Delete
    3. (Your disapprobation will be duly noted and ignored. ;))

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!