December Wrap-Up

Merry Christmas! Happy Eve of the Feast of Mary, Mother of God (also known as New Years, but that's boring)! December has been quite the month (hard to believe it's the last month of 2021...) so let's jump right in!


1. First of all, I'm home! Finally! I'm back in my beloved PNW, where it smells amazing outside (I had no idea how much I'd missed the smell of outside in the PNW until I got home, stepped out of the car, and inhaled deeply), rains in the right way, and the Dominicans reside! (Ok, ok, they do reside other places, too. But most of my Dominicans reside here.) Also, there are mountains. Do you know how nice it is to see mountains after months of flat? It's very nice. 
I had a bit of an adventure getting home--I took a tiny plane out of a tiny four-gate regional airport in Champaign to Chicago, at which point I had a long layover, and then a flight from Chicago home. As it turns out, no planes fly from Champaign to the West side of the country. I managed to read 2.75 books during the saga, so it was not time wasted. ;)
I have also wasted no time getting back involved at my home parish--I'm now trained as a sacristan and have been helping my mom with her sacristan duties or sacristaning by myself nearly every day, which is SUCH a joy! I've also been trained to be the head of the volunteers at a Mass, which is a bit intimidating. Haven't actually done that, yet.
Christmas Mass back at home (which I helped sacristan!) was beautiful, peaceful, and joyful. I didn't realize how much I missed our Dominicans' (and specifically our pastor's) way of saying Mass until I got back, and remembered that yes, I am very, very spoiled in my parish. (That's not saying anything against the priests at Newman. They do an excellent job with Mass as well, it's just not the same.)
Right now (as I write this post), my family is up at Rivendell, where we came Christmas afternoon, and it has snowed approximately eight inches, which means that we can't really go anywhere, and we're very happy about it. I've gotten to make fires in the Russian Masonry Heater, tromp around in snowshoes, and sit quietly and read for lengths of time (I got some good books for Christmas!!), so I am, of course, delighted with the circumstance. 


(Image credit to owner, presumably Ascension Press)
2. I started listening to Fr. Mike Schmitz's Bible in a Year podcast at the beginning of Advent, the Catholic Church's New Years, as my Liturgical New Years's resolution (yes, I know that was at the end of November, but that, as Georgette Heyer would say, "don't signify"), and I've been really enjoying it! He pairs books of the Bible in a way so that they're of the same time period but about different things, so for instance, right now we're going through Exodus and Leviticus, a narrative book and a non-narrative book, so that things don't get too boring. (Granted, I do not find Leviticus boring. I may be unique in this. XD) Father Mike always has practical and insightful things to say about the readings for the day, and he's led me on to some scriptural insights that I would not have gotten otherwise. I would definitely recommend the podcast to everyone. Even if you're Christian but not Catholic, I think you could get a lot out of it. :)


Yes, I did that to spine. Hence the face. It was a library book.
3. Quotes of this Month:

"As I was saying, before I dropped my phone in the barbecue sauce..." --Thomas

"Can I be the best man at your funeral?" --Someone in the caf

George: *takes off his glasses* [to me] "I can't see the whites of your eyes!"
Me and Thomas simultaneously: "Then don't fire!"

Me: [to Father] "As long as you do the Solemn Tone for the Roman Canon, you can use whatever chalice veil and burse you want." [This will only be funny to a tiny subset of people, I think, but I find it amusing, so I thought I'd see if anyone else did.]

Me [to Legolas]: "Thanks, sweetheart."
Legolas: "You're welcome, my lovely lemon."

Thomas: "We're all country boys here."
Me: "Excuse me, I am neither from the country, nor a boy."
Thomas: "Okay, you're a country girl. You're wearing flannel, and you work at the meat lab."
Me: "Fine, I'll take it."


Image credit to owner
4. I watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse this month, and while one might predict that since there is one thing involved that I'm very ambivalent about (Spider-man) and one that I downright dislike (the multiverse) I wouldn't have liked it.

Au contraire, I enjoyed it in the extreme! Part of it might have been quips like "hey kid, drop the body!" or "there's a kid in a Spider-man costume dragging a dead hobo behind a train", part of it might have been having siblings in the room to enjoy said quips with, but I think a large part of it was that the movie didn't take itself too seriously. It was a whimsical ode to everything Spiderman, which I obviously didn't appreciate to the max, since I haven't seen all of Spiderman, although I could see that through how the movie was presented. But it didn't try to be consistent with ALL the other movies, and it didn't try to explain the multiverse, and it didn't try to go through ALL the ramifications (in other words, it did not have the Dr. Strange approach to the multiverse, for which I was grateful), it simply enjoyed the plot device of having multiple Spider-mans (or Spider-other-things) in one space, in one movie. 

Also, Miles Morales is The Sweetest, and I love him as Spiderman. I love his growth and the way his family is worked in and important to him, and the way his racial heritage adds a certain amount of tension (especially between family/neighborhood/school) but in a subtle way, so as not to overwhelm a kid's movie!

I did think that there could have been more development of friendships within the Spider-people, especially Miles and Gwen, but that's a minor quibble for a movie that wasn't trying to be the most character-growth oriented movie ever, but rather trying to have fun with Spiderman and the multiverse.


Image credit to owner
5. I've just finished rereading the A Wrinkle In Time series (aka the Time Quintet), which made me think quite a bit about free will and freedom in general and uniqueness, which I hadn't realized was a theme in pretty much the entire series, one way or another. (Kudos to my friend Lewis, for putting up with my confused and muddled initial thoughts, helping me clarify my thinking, and talking with me about this on Skype for two hours. XD) 

Minor spoilers ahead--be warned. 

In the first book, A Wrinkle in Time, Meg, Charles Wallace, Calvin, and Meg's father meet IT, a brain which has dedicated ITself to bringing the entire planet under ITs control, to make all of the people on the planet's brains think in unison with IT's. Which spooked me quite a bit, because suddenly I was thinking about Heaven. And I was worried that was how it was going to be in Heaven--all of us losing our individuality (or uniqueness) in a unison of thought.

But then after quite a bit of conversation, I realized that what was spooking me was the idea of a unison of thought and being with something that is not perfect, that is in fact quite fallen. (IT is one of the most fallen characters I have ever had the horror of coming across. The fact that pride is what gets the characters involved with him should have tipped me off.) And also that we will not lose our uniqueness in Heaven. It's a gift from God, because we are made in His image, and He is unique, and when He gives a gift like that, He does not take it away! Additionally, IT is deplorable because IT tries to force ITs will on everyone on the planet, rather than allowing them to choose freely, as God does. We can choose freely to bring our free wills into unison with God, which then brings us happiness, because instead of wanting our conformity with Him (like IT does), God wants our happiness, and ultimately, our eternal life.

A later passage in the book, comparing free will to a sonnet--there are constraints, like the form of the poem, but within the form, the poet is completely free--brings in the idea of freedom for excellence, which is developed more completely in the next book.

A Wind in the Door focuses almost exclusively on freedom for excellence, with Meg learning to turn away from hatred to loving as a Namer, and with the trial of needing to convince Sporos to Deepen, which is the natural next step in his life. He needs to sing the ancient harmonies in order that they might not be broken, and he doesn't want to...he wants to do what he wants to do. And that is what so many people think freedom is. But it's not. Freedom is the ability to choose the good, and not simply the ability to choose. 

Lastly, the "ancient harmonies", which are referenced in every single book--the ancient harmonies are what the characters join in singing when they choose the good--reminded me both of my initial reaction to IT--that Heaven must be harmony, in some way or another, and perhaps more like modern music, where each note goes to the whole, and there are no gaps or breaks in the melody, rather than like Brahms (the specific music metaphors are all Lewis, the initial idea about modern music is mine) where there are breaks in the melody. (There was an entire side-conversation about how modern music might be more like Heaven and/or angels than classical music, in some aspect or another, earlier in the month.) But they also reminded me of Tolkien and the beginning of the Silmarillion, where God sings the world into existence, but allows the angels to help him in singing, and where the devil of that world brings dissonance into the melody, breaking it, in the same way that ancient harmonies are broken, in L'Engle, when one lacks or rejects the freedom for excellence. I'm still not entirely sure whether harmony or unison is the best metaphor for Heaven, specifically, but certainly harmony is a good metaphor for earth. 

There's even more about free will in the other books--A Wind in the Door, for instance, brings in how one person's choice can change history, and also how fallenness and the turning away from the freedom for excellence spreads through a family and "the sins of the fathers are visited upon the children, even unto the seventh generation". But I don't have space for a complete explication of that in this post. :)



6. Now that I've gabbed on for ages about Madeleine L'Engle, I'll try to keep the last two bullet points a little shorter.
I suppose you probably want to know how the end of my first semester went! (Or maybe not, but I'm going to tell you anyway.) I only had one final, and that went tolerably (in other words, I got an A), and my final project for another class, which was a recorded presentation, I nailed in the second take with no practice. I think I'm going to come out of my first semester with a very respectable GPA, which makes me happy, because I have a tad less confidence in next semester, when I'm taking 20 credits of classes. (For the record, that was my own stupid idea, so if I crash and burn, it's my own darn fault. To be quite honest, though, I don't think it'll be a problem.) 
I did end up staying up late A LOT the last couple of weeks at school, simply because I didn't have much to do, and I figured I was heading home soon, so I definitely developed a sleep deficit, which I'm still not quite done correcting, I don't think. Oops! Better sleep next semester, I hope. 
I also found out in the last couple of weeks that my roommate is transferring to another university for next semester, so, unless the housing advisor adds another person to my room, I'll have my room to myself for the rest of the year. I can't say I'm sad about that...


Image credit to Goodreads
7. After having used Goodreads for almost exactly a year, I've concluded that, as fun as it is to see my Goodreads Wrapped (apparently, I read 89,899 pages and 305 books? insane) I'm not sure that it's the right platform for me. 

I thrive on seeing to-do lists (or really any kind of list) all checked off nicely, to see what I've accomplished, and as much as the "read" shelf is nice, it really doesn't do that. I want something where I can look at my TBR and see what I've read, as well as what I haven't yet read, which is all Goodreads gives me. I feel like all I see is what I still need to do, and not what I've done. Now, this might be the way I'm using the platform. But overall, I think I'm not gaining a lot from the platform. I do enjoy keeping up with my fellow readers, but not so much that I need to spend Ages and Ages Of Time that I could be using for reading/homework/blogging/writing/whatever scrolling through and liking peoples' posts. I could use that time to become more engaged in the blogging community. Or something. 

In addition, since getting a smartphone at the beginning of the school year, I've become more attuned to the ways that I use technology, and the ways that I don't have to use technology. I want to make it a priority in some ways to go back to analogue ways of doing things. In the same vein, I think I'm going to get myself an actual clock for my room, a timer, and a watch. 

So, I'm going to try something new in January. Don't worry--for at least one month, I'm going to keep using Goodreads. But during January, I'm going to experiment with using my bullet journal as a "paper Goodreads", and if that works out for me, I'm going to switch over completely to my bullet journal. Which, on the plus side, should give me more time for blogging! *winning smile* 


So! How was your December? What's your favorite way to keep track of the books you've read? Have you read Madeleine L'Engle? What does home smell like, to you? What's your favorite podcast?

Comments

  1. I'll never know how you get so many books in, especially since your in college. But it's inspiring. Love all those quotes! Your friends sound hilarious.
    Hope you have a fantastic 2022!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I'm not sure how I do it, either. XD
      My friends are hilarious! I'm very blessed.
      Thank you! I hope you have a fantastic 2022 as well!

      Delete
  2. So glad you got home! And any book read is not a waste of time. ;)

    *cackles* I listened to day 365 of Fr. Mike's Bible In A Year a few hours ago. Doesn't mean I can't start again tomorrow, though!

    OH MY GOSH is that you tearing the front cover off of the book!?! BAD SAMANTHA. (Although it might be a first for you...)

    Congrats for surviving your first semester of college! And good luck for the ones to come! (It wasn't surprising that you did survive it, though. You had it in the bag.)

    Hn, what a coincidence that you have 89899 pages read. And a good round number of books, too. (But how only 305? JK, that's an immense amount of books for me. ;) )

    Heh, yeah. There's only so much a phone can do. It is a little parcel of a large amount of things, but it isn't the same as physical space.

    Merry Christmas! And happy eve of the Blessed Mary, Mother of God. (Happy new year's too, y'all.)

    Faramir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true!

      Well, you're something to the tune of 330 days ahead of me...

      Okay, to be fair: I didn't tear off the front cover, I just killed the spine. Mostly by lugging it everywhere in my backpack.

      Thank you!

      I think ultimately it might've been 307, but when I wrote this post, it was that nice round number! (I mean, if I read full time, it could be more...)

      Indeed! Phones are nice, but they're not everything.

      Thank you! Merry Christmas and happy Mary, Mother of God to you as well!

      Delete
    2. If you read for a job, you would be rich. Just saying. And your book count would skyrocket. (Although, already, you are reading a lot. That's about 6 books a week, from my rough calculations. (But imagine 8 a week, you would totally be able to do that (If you had the time.)))

      Faramir

      Delete
    3. If you can find someone who will pay me to read, I will give you 1/10th of my earnings. XD

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Home totally smells the best. Though I'm in the same state so it probably doesn't differ that much...

    I've been watching Bible Project videos about different books which really helps because usually after I finish one I just think "What in the world was that about?" then it helpfully explains it. :) Maybe I'll try that podcast as I've seen one or two of his homilies. I didn't find Leviticus boring, more like I was like this the whole time: 0_0 But, the introduction in my bible was really told me a lot that helped me get through it.

    Lol, what you and Legolas tell each other is like me. XD I've gotten to calling EVERYONE either bro, boo, or babe. Which is weird. I acknowledge this readily. I have no idea why I am like this.

    Yay, so glad that you liked SIS! Siblings are definitely the best to watch things with. I always want mine to watch my favorite things with me so I can get even more out of it, but they think I have weird taste... (come on, it's usually kids tv shows! That's not that weird! Yes I am a grown person, but I love it...)

    I read the first two Time Quintet books ages ago and LOVED them, though I have no memory of what happened now. I started the third and didn't even get a page in before quitting. That's because I have a pet peeve against huge time jumps between books in a series, and reading that everyone was grown up was a big no for me. Maybe I'll get back into them someday.

    Sleep? *cries at the thought of how lovely it is* I reallllllly want to make that a priority in the new year. Hey, we may both be having the same thing with roommates in the coming months! I'm not sure. Tolerably is an A? ;) Really? Tolerably is more like an A-... an A is FANTASTIC!

    If you stop using Goodreads I won't be able to spy on you...hmm....that is the place that started all of the emailing... I still have that, though. ;) It will be interesting to hear how your test goes! I can totally see how GR makes you feel that you keep adding things instead of showing what you've done, so I don't want that for you! I want you to be as amazed with your skills as we are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does! I had no idea that Illinois just didn't smell like the PNW until I got back and was like "wait a second...it smells like green!" I'm sure there's at least some difference for you, even intra-state. (or is it inter-state? no, I think it's intra.)

      Oh, cool! It's great that you've found something that works to help you process the Bible. I might need to look into the Bible Project. It's an excellent podcast! Leviticus is honestly far less boring than people might think. Repetitive, yes, on occasion, boring, no, never.

      Lol, she started calling me that because I wouldn't stop calling her "hon" or "honey" or "sweetheart", and it was driving her crazy! You're not the only one.

      Siblings are 100% the best to watch things with! (Well, Lewis said that there's nothing worth reading at age 10 that wasn't equally worth reading as an adult, so does that apply to TV, too?? It very well might.) You should totally watch SIS, if you haven't already! (I don't think you have? But I could be wrong.)

      Oh, you should get back into them! But read the fourth book in between the second and third this time...that might help with the time jump. (That's funny, I really don't have that pet peeve, but I can see how it would be irritating. To each their own.)

      Oh hey! Yeah, roommate twins! Haha, thank you! I was being British and underestimating my own accomplishments. :P

      Well, you can always text me for updates. ;) I'll be sure to keep the blog updated on how my test goes! So far, I'm enjoying it so much that I might stop using Goodreads early, lol.

      Delete
  4. I love reading your thoughts on the Time Quintet! The tension between freedom and unity is SUCH a fascinating concept to me. The way that both can be twisted into something negative (even evil) is shown so well in those books. In A Wrinkle in Time the unity that Camazotz experiences under IT's control is super unhealthy and in fact not true unity. In A Wind in the Door, the freedom that the farandolae have before they deepen is also super unhealthy, and again a false version of what it claims to be. We need unity and freedom/individuality which can sometimes appear to be opposites, and only through closeness to God can we reconcile the two. It's so easy to slip into a twisted, false version of something good that God gave to us, as we see throughout literature and history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad my thoughts interested you. ;) That's now a concept that I'm really interested, too. It's kind of like how Chesterton talks about Christianity (and Catholicism in particular, but that's his specialty) as being a religion of paradoxes and holding of two things that would seem to be contradictory, and yet they still work together...so freedom/individuality and unity definitely fit that framework! I think L'Engle does a great job, as you say, showing how easy it is to slip into a false version of the good thing, and how hard we have to work to avoid that.

      Delete
  5. The best man at the funeral quote sounds like something my cousin would say. Maybe just because it's funeral related humor? He frequently tells us that he wants us to sing "No One Mourns the Wicked" at his funeral.
    I love Into the Spiderverse! It's quite funny, and Miles is absolutely the sweetest.
    Oh! I just recently reread A Wrinkle in Time and A Wind in the Door. For DAYS afterward, I couldn't stop talking about the whole concept of Deepening--the fact that Sporos doesn't want to deepen because he wants to be free go where he wants and do what he wants, but it's such an empty, unfulfilling version of freedom. And the thing the old wise deepened tree (I know it has a name but I have no memory of what it is) says about how the deepened ones travel without moving?? Because by the very act of committing and giving up, in some respects, your "freedom", you gain access to a whole new plane of existence and a depth of communication you can't get any other way?? I feel like there's a whole generation of people right now who want to be "free" and therefore won't commit to anything, like Sporos. But when you give up the freedom of being able to do whatever you want whenever you want to do it and make a commitment--to a person, a group of people, a project--that's when deeper connection happens and GAAAAHH I'm still geeking out about it (clearly).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I LOVE cousins! That is the best.

      I know, Miles is such a cinnamon roll. <3.

      YES Deepening is such an amazing concept--and such a perfect concept for modern society, too, where people think that "FOMO/YOLO" is a completely valid reason to do or not to do things, and getting to do whatever one wants is the highest good. But as you said, and L'Engle implies, that is highly unfulfilling. But when one does Deepen, one gets so much more. There's more purpose, more goals, more joy. The lack of commitments is the worst, but the alternative--deep commitment--is the best. My family has a running joke/not joke with a friend of ours is that marriage (or the priesthood, for us) is an ultimate "YOLO" moment, because since one only lives once, one might as well make a lifelong commitment with that time.

      Delete
  6. I'm very glad to hear that your Christmas/holidays went splendidly!! =)

    Father Mike's podcast sounds interesting! I'm TRYING to get my Bible read in one year. I don't think I've ever done it in one year (I think I've done it in two, being one to reread certain passages and books - such as Romans and Esther - that fascinate me or require a lot of time on my part to think through, etc. etc.).

    I own a copy of Into the Spiderverse but haven't watched it yet! I've heard great things about it... ahh another one of those things that I need to do yet. Currently our family is re-watching the entire Marvel movies, and this morning I watched the first ten minutes of Doctor Strange. Who for some reason remains one of my favorite new Marvel characters, other than Bucky and Spiderman. Of course.

    I still need to read A Wrinkle In Time and the series yet. I know that both you and The Story Sponge have talked about it. Repeatedly. And I recall you personally recommending the series to me via our Goodreads DM. :) I think I shall need to link your post and thoughts here to my reading notes so I can remember to read this once I've read it, since when I'm reading it now I don't get the references. ;)

    Best of wishes on your school! I remember those days with some fondness, a bit of longing, but mostly... relief...? Even though I was an ace student for the most part all the tests really stress me out. Especially since they all happen in the same week. ^_^

    I have Exactly those same feelings about Goodreads! I've determined to still use it in a controlled manner, since at work I've these spontaneous moments of break that I can't really read since it's too short, so I scroll through my account. I've been able to learn to filter my feed to show only recent Book Reviews from Top Friends (vs. "Everything" everyone is doing - those can be SO overwhelming). (Apparently one can select a friend to be "Top" or not. And that can help with filtering the feed.). So yeah, learning that feature has been super helpful. Overall it's nice to be able to check out others' reviews (since I have a higher level of trust for those that I friend or follow vs. just the general, most popular/voted reviews on the platform).
    Also - I would not give up my more in-depth discussions with Rebecca and you on there about certain book/s we like or want to read for the world. <3

    This year I intend to keep a book log in my BuJo or spreadsheet. And then update that to GR (since I refuse to use a smartphone). I also intend on doing more actual reviews and hopefully stay more up to date on my posting schedule. :) I really hope your plans will go well, and that you'll find something that works the best for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is a sacristan? *curious Protestant*

    "Then don't fire!" XD XD XD

    I have many thoughts about Goodreads; it is definitely a flawed platform. I'm glad you're getting rid of it and keeping track of your books the best way for you, and simplifying your life in general. I won't ever get rid of it, I don't think, because I was always TERRIBLE at keeping track of what I read on paper (even though I wanted to) and Goodreads suddenly made it super easy. It's easy to edit my shelves, keep an easy record of what I read each year, and even to organize my TBR into multiple shelves (if I want to) without lots of rewriting. And...I actually keep up with it, unlike all the many, many, many, many (XD) paper lists I've started in the past. So yeah it's just incredibly nice and useful to me. But at the same time I don't like to spend a lot of time on it. Blogging is far superior. And more Sam in the blogosphere makes me joyful indeed.

    My December was amazing(ly crowded with friends and busyness) until it wasn't (yay sickness). I have read A Wrinkle in Time, yes. I have no idea what home smells like; that's such an interesting question. My favorite podcast is The Book Pile. Happy New Year, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, a sacristan is someone who prepares everything necessary for Mass, and cleans up afterwards. I don't know if you know at all what Mass entails, but in any case, we usually set out the vestments (clothing) that the priest wears, prep the microphone(s) and book(s), light the candles, put out vessels of water, wine, and hosts (i.e. the bread consecrated during Mass), open doors that need to be opened (to the tabernacle, or, equally likely, the bathrooms. XD), and put out the chalice, veiled in its fabric wrappings. After Mass, we basically do everything in reverse. Hope that makes sense, and if you have questions, please ask!

      XD what made that even better is that Thomas is a history major, and he thought it was HILARIOUS that I ALSO immediately thought of that quote.

      I can definitely understand wanting the ease of Goodreads, especially if you're not the best at keeping track of books on paper, but I was already keeping track of books on paper also (just not writing down thoughts), and so I felt like Goodreads was pretty redundant. We'll see how I do on keeping up with paper lists, though...that should be fun. Haha, thank you!

      Oof, I'm sorry you got sick! Hope you're feeling better! Sometimes I think my role in life is solely to be a weirdo about how things smell. XD I'll have to check out The Book Pile! And Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!