Musings on Art

Image credit to owner. This is the National Shrine of Pope St. John Paul II in DC, which I also visited.

So, I went to the National Gallery in Washington DC when I was there over Thanksgiving break (shoutout to Eowyn for taking me there and playing "find the decay" in the still lifes of the Dutch Masters with me!) and while that was amazing all on its own (so much art, y'all), it also made me think about what art means to me vis a vis being Catholic.

And y'all know I can't pass up a good discussion of
anything vis a vis Catholicism. So here we are. 

One thing that I noticed as we were walking through the galleries is that I stopped and looked far longer at the Catholic art. Not that the non-Catholic art wasn't beautiful (the still lifes of the Dutch Masters were my next-favorites), but it just didn't hold my attention for as long. It didn't give me anything to look at, to watch for, to analyze. Especially the landscapes, which were beautiful but merited from me, unconsciously, no more than a "oh that's nice", and then moving on. 

As I tend to do, I started to muse on why this might be. Why do I enjoy the Catholic art more than any of the other art? And what does that mean about non-Catholics who go to art galleries?

My first idea about meaning was that maybe because I know the stories really well, I can see more details and understand what's going on better than some people. And I'm sure that's part of it, but it's not all of it. For instance, I know the stories of the Greek & Roman pantheon, and yet, those paintings don't hold my attention as long as the Catholic paintings, either.

But, an epiphany came to me when I was watching
The Fellowship of the Ring with my cousins later that week. There's a part (that I'd heard talked about before, in a slightly different context) where the Fellowship is boating down the river, and they come to the huge statues, the Argonath. And Aragorn looks up, with fire in his eyes, and says "my kin". 


The Argonath are statues of his Gondorian relatives, who, though he has never met, he knows that he is related to. 

And, I realized, that's how I feel about Catholic art. The people in the paintings, God, Jesus, Mary, the saints, are my kin, through Baptism and becoming a part of the Mystical Body of Christ. 

That's at least part of the reason why I can spend so much longer looking at Catholic art than other art. It's like looking at family pictures, rather than looking at pictures of strangers. Would you rather spend time looking through a family photo album, or a photo album of a family that you barely know, have maybe seen a couple of times? The family photo album has family stories attached to it, family history, emotions and memories, even if one hasn't met all the people in the pictures, if they are, for instance, pictures of one's great-grandparents, who died before one was born. As one gets older, one can maybe see more nuances of feeling, hears different parts of stories, notices different things. It's a family history, in pictures.

And that's how I feel when I'm looking at Catholic art. I'm looking at different depictions of family stories. I notice details, because I know the stories, and I can see where the artist goes beyond, and what he or she wanted to depict, and how he or she wanted to deepen the connection with the story. I recognize the people--Jesus, the apostles, the saints, &c. I can gaze at their faces and meditate on the emotions they show, on how the people are grouped.

Because, being Catholic, I have 'met' many of these people through prayer, and because the art depicts an interpretation of the truth, the art can actually let me meditate on Biblical events, which can even lead me to prayer, allowing me to encounter the people more deeply. And even if I don't end up meditating, expressions or juxtapositions can help me to understand the people even more deeply. 

It's my family, and even better, it's a way to get to know my family more deeply. Like Aragorn, I can be inspired by the images, and reminded who I am.


But what does this mean for people who aren't Catholic, and who look at Catholic art?

First of all, when non-Catholics are looking at specifically Catholic art, they'll give no more than an "oh, that's nice", the same "oh, that's nice" that I give to not specifically Catholic art. Which is really sad, because there's so much Catholic art, that they're missing a lot! And that's quite tragic, really. 

I was at a special exhibition of art, largely Catholic art, at an art gallery at home right before COVID, with Merry and Pippin, and there were several pieces of art that we spent a long time looking at, feeling the emotion, noticing tiny details, where people breezed past them. Most notably, there was a painting of Christ at the Pillar, by Moretto, that had so many details in it--the objects near Christ, of course, but also the expression on His face, and the tiny scenes from the parables in background. And a group of young adults a little older than us took a glance, said, "Jesus looks ripped," and moved on.

Seriously? That's all you're getting out of it?

So, there's that.

But also, now we can get into some things that I thought about when I was reading My Name is Asher Lev over break. (I thought about art a fair bit over break, y'all.) One of the things that is run into is that the Crucifixion is the form that is used to show horrible sadness, suffering, despair, &c in art. There's not another form that conveys all of that, that has the rich history of that, and that is used in that way. 
Then there's the Pieta for motherly love.
And the resurrection for wonder-terror.
And so on. (Note: these aren't in the book, this is me taking the idea a bit further.)
Catholicism has influenced art to such a degree (given that for over fifteen centuries, pretty much the only people making art in the West were Catholic) that all art has a Catholic legacy and exists in the framework and context of Catholicism/Catholic art, whether or not the artist wants it to. (That's part of the conflict of Asher Lev.)

So, again, what does that mean for people who aren't Catholic, or at least Christian? 

It means that there's far less meaning for them in the art. It means that they can't contextualize the art nearly as well, and it doesn't mean as much. It means that they can't gaze at it for hours and find hidden meanings in it. It means that they'll make surface-level evaluations, and then move on. 

It means they won't be able to appreciate the art, really most art on a deep level that a Catholic, or even a non-Catholic Christian (though not quite to the same degree) can. 

Which is really sad. But it also makes me wonder--if we have a predominantly atheistic society for long enough (centuries), will all art become lodged in an atheistic framework in such a way that Catholics can't appreciate it? 

Maybe. But I think that as long as the Catholic Church exists, Catholics will be making art to glorify God, even if it's not mainstream. So, there will always be a legacy of Catholic art, even if the culture doesn't want to admit it. And as long as there is Catholic art, there will be Catholics to appreciate it, even if no one else does.
Do I know how to end this post? Not particularly. But how about this--now I want to hear your thoughts!

So, enough of my ramblings--what do you think?

Comments

  1. Ooh Sam this is SO INTERESTING. (I now want to read Asher Lev.) The connection with Aragorn? GOLD. (I do love that scene. I don't think I realized it until last time we watched the movie, but I do. Subconsciously, I'm sure, for the reasons you express.)

    I think I've felt the same kind of connection with historical monuments, too. To a certain extent? Like at the Wright Brothers monument in North Carolina? Not that I was aviation-crazy yet when I visited there...but maybe the coolness of being there and SEEING it has something to do with why I'm aviation-crazy now.

    Anywho that's not really here nor there, except for maybe it speaks to the evangelization-al (is there a word for that?) value of art. If a physical depiction of something can FORGE a connection where one didn't exist before. That's what the Incarnation is all about, right? God takes flesh. Becomes visible. The evangelization of the world couldn't happen on a global scale until He came down and touched us with his own carpenter's hands. The big difference being, of course, that there it's reality and in art it's a symbol.

    But there's still a very real connection between the actual Incarnation and the art it inspires! Because the Incarnation is the only reason we HAVE religious art, like, at all. It's no longer blasphemous to try and paint God's face because now God HAS a face. A human face.

    Gosh it's amazing.

    Aaaaaanywho. I guess what I'm saying, is--yes, atheists can appreciate Catholic art. It won't strike them the same WAY that it strikes cradle Catholics, of course...but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if sometimes, it strikes them in an even more powerful way. Because grace gets involved. And sometimes the visual arts might be the best way for someone to take that first step towards God.

    Also I don't think art....can ever be totally atheistic. Cuz art's always about reaching up. Or reaching in. Or reaching...somewhere. Somewhere ELSE. Looking for the divine. At least it should be. Even if that divine is a humanistic rationalistic disembodied ideal like something from James Turnbull's catechism for good young atheists. (Can't you see him writing an atheistic catechism? I totally can.)

    I guess the upshot of what I'm saying is: God created the world, and art is about trying to understand/make sense of/convey something about the world. So the better you understand God, the better you understand art.

    But also, the people who know the least about God might be the people most in need of art, and therefore the most sensitive to it.

    Cuz it's...fundamentally an emotional thing, right? The intellect doesn't need to play a part at all. Like that GKC quote: "There is a line from the eye to the heart that does not go through the intellect."

    OK, wow. I was not expecting this post to be QUITE this thought-provoking. My dear Sam, you have outdone yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Megan! (You should read Asher Lev. You will love Asher Lev.) (That scene is such a good scene.:))

      Oh, that's so interesting! I can definitely relate to that...I'm almost always much more interested in historical events where I've actually been to somewhere that's related (Old North Church, for instance with Paul Revere, or Fort McHenry, or Monticello, or the San Juan Island Pig War Forts (long story, but look up The Pig War)) than not. And I do think it has something to do with place and experience and even sensible tactility--the ability to see and hear and smell and feel the place.

      YES! The incarnational and evangelizational value of art, Megan, you are a genius. The necessity of the physical and visible, too, I think. The necessity of being *touched* by God and God's incarnation, if that makes any sense. And you're so right--the Incarnation is why we can have actual religious art, which is something that I should have remembered to put in the post but didn't, lol.

      Hmm, I think you're definitely right about atheists appreciating Catholic art in a new way. I do think that Catholics might become inured to art--"oh, there's another Annunciation", and so on. The strikingness of Catholic art when one isn't necessarily expecting it is definitely something that Asher Lev experiences--it's so interesting to see Christian art through his eyes as he sees it for the first time!

      And I think you're also right that art can never be entirely atheistic as long as it's art...but modern art is skating on the edge of both atheism and actually being art, if that makes sense. It's not...quite...reaching beyond anymore. (I can ABSOLUTELY see Turnbull writing an atheistic catechism, and the thought tickles me! :))

      "the better you understand God, the better you understand art." Exactly! And also the better you understand the world through art, perhaps the better you can understand God? Or at least, that's definitely what I've gleaned through your comment. Thank you for making me think so much this morning!

      And you're right, the intellect doesn't have to play a part in art...although it often does, where I'm concerned. And maybe it shouldn't, quite so much... (I had never heard that GKC quote before, but I LOVE it!)

      Oh my goodness, Megan, thank you! Reading your comment, I've become quite aware of the post's shortcomings and blind spots, so thank you for that, as well. I really appreciate it. :)

      Delete
    2. (I will add Asher Lev to the TBR.)

      I've been thinking about the whole art-as-evangelization thing and you know who was really moved by Catholic art? OSCAR WILDE! Catholic imagery shows up EVERYWHERE in his poetry. Especially the crucifix. And you can tell that he's not just using it as an artistic device...it's something he's really grappling with. Like the image Christ on the Cross is seared on his heart and he's ANGRY about it because he doesn't UNDERSTAND and he WANTS to.

      Also also also I think the liturgy has the same effect sometimes. Because the liturgy is a thing of beauty. I know/know of a convert who went to Compline once--/once/--and immediately asked how to become Catholic.

      Isn't that GKC quote the best? It's one of those that always struck me as kind of "meh," but when I got it (which was due more or less to Oscar Wilde) I REALLY loved it.

      I guess I don't know enough about modern art to comment on its true artistic value, heh. There's definitely a lot of stuff out there that's just...weird to me. But I don't envision, like, the really weird stuff taking over the way Catholic art did, because it can't possibly speak to the great mass of humanity the same way. I'm pretty sure the bulk of human beings look at creepy abstract art and go, "Huh?" While pretty watercolors and bright patterns, on the other hand, will probably ALWAYS be a thing. Even if they're not considered the high-brow arts, they'll be the true ones, and they'll always show us something about the good, the true, and the beautiful.

      Delete
  2. I agree, but something that draws me to Catholic art is just that I know what's going on, whereas with other paintings... yeah, you get it basically.

    Thank goodness for the Saints, and especially for those who were broken but still united themselves to God. It's just so wonderful that we know we're not alone in our trek through life.

    I'm getting off track... better stop before I derail myself! (Well, from the subject)

    Faramir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely a reason I'm drawn to Catholic art, too!

      Amen! The saints are such wonderful companions!

      Delete
    2. Hi, Soon-To-Be-Home Sam! I have a challenge for you. In light of your assertion, “Catholicism has influenced art to such a degree . . . that all art has a Catholic legacy and exists in the framework and context of Catholicism/Catholic art, whether or not the artist wants it to,” can you nuance the way you look at non-Catholic art so as to seek the Catholic influence? That may allow you to engage more deeply than, "Oh, that's nice." Love, Regina Grammaria

      Delete
    3. Hello RG! You're absolutely right, I ignored a blatantly contradictory statement by accident! I will definitely be thinking about reconciling Catholic legacy (especially as seen in Asher Lev) and my still-present prejudice for obviously Catholic art...which I may also need to fix. :)

      Delete
  3. This was fascinating to read. I always enjoy getting an insight into someone else's way of thinking.

    I'm such a weirdo with art. But I think you really hit the nail on the head with your Aragorn/Argonath parallel. That was a really neat way to look at it, and yeah... if the picture resonates with you on a personal level, then it's definitely going to mean more to you than one that doesn't.

    For me, that's probably why I am so drawn to Kevin Cardan's digital art - and especially his artwork depicting the spiritual battles that parents fight on their knees for their children - because I'm seeing my kin there. And myself, as well. My own struggles, and the struggles of other Christian parents trying to raise children in a fallen, darkened world, with a very real enemy who wants nothing more than to gloat over our failures.

    And that's probably why I prefer the artwork of my sister and my extremely talented friends over anything a museum has to offer... because I know them. I can sit there and study the details and find the meaning in them because they've put their heart on a page and allowed me a glimpse into who they are and what is important to them and what they are struggling with, and done it with honesty and beauty.

    So... yeah, I'm just musing out loud here... but thank you for helping me understand something about myself a bit better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It was fun to write, even if I did end up saying some contradictory stuff, because...the last week of the semester is like that. XD

      Oh, thank you! I LOVE that parallel, so I'm happy that it rang true for you. :)

      It makes so much sense that that sort of art would be the kind that resonates with you--I just looked up Kevin Carden's art, and it's BEAUTIFUL! I can definitely see how you see your kin there. And I can also see why you prefer art by your sister & friends over museum art (although I don't necessarily concur, lol--I love my museums) because there is really that heart there that can be seen. Which is why it can be scary to create art, too--exposing your heart like that is not easy!

      I'm so happy that this post was able to help you understand yourself more! That's even more than I hoped for while I was writing it. :)

      Delete
  4. These were interesting thoughts to ponder! I confess I'm a Philistine and get pretty much nothing out of visual art, and I hate going to art museums, and I just don't get it . But it's still interesting to hear someone who does get something out of it talk about it...and you made me have some parallel reflections about music, an art form that I do get. Like, I've FOR SURE thought about how so much of the great music of the past is Christian, and when I glory in the beauty of it, I'm glorying, simultaneously, in the beauty of the music itself and in the beauty of what it expresses. And the two things are bound up together. And so, for people who aren't Christian, do they lose a whole layer of depth and beauty there? That summer when my mom and I sang Vivaldi's "Gloria" with a choir some of whose members weren't Christian, they loved the music, but were they able to love it on the same level my mom and I did?

    And also, this is a little bit related (I think), the action of grace through music and art is such an interesting thing to think about. Some people will look at Christ at the Pillar, say, "Jesus is ripped," and move on. Some people will hear Palestrina's "Missa Papae Marcelli" and be like "Wow, lotta melodies going on there," and move on.

    BUT some people, who've never had a thought about it before, will see the Pieta and it will STAGGER them. Some people will hear Domine Deus and be PIERCED by the beauty and opened to its source.

    Like, how cool would it be to be the artist whose explicitly Christian art WAS the vehicle of grace for somebody? It'll never be that to EVERYBODY who comes into contact with it, but if it's that for even one person, that...is such an honor. Because the artist has nothing to do with it, except that he or she faithfully tried to create a work of good, true art. The grace is all God's.

    Art is cool. And the way God speaks through it (to believers and unbelievers) is REALLY cool. Thank you for this wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that my thoughts could transfer over to music! I honestly think it's really interesting that music is more *your art form* than visual art...I think I'm more "natively" like that, too, but I've grown to appreciate visual art over many years of being exposed to it through homeschooling. :) YES the beauty and the "message" (if you'll allow me to put it crudely like that, I'm sleepy this morning) are both bound together inextricably, and people DO lose depth. Oh hey, I've sung Vivaldi's "Gloria" in a choir with some non-Christian members (okay, mostly non-Christian members), too! (We just sang the Laudamus Te part, but...we were going to sing the rest of it, but then COVID. :() It's a beautiful piece of music to praise God with...

      SARAH I LOVE those thoughts. I LOVE them. Because you are SO RIGHT. Not everyone will appreciate Christian art, but for some people, it can be the gateway that leads them to truth. And so I think actually we should encourage people to see Christian art? "Just in case". ;)

      It IS such an honor to be someone who makes art that can absolutely stagger people, because it also requires so much humility. Because as you say, it's not the artist who staggers people. It's God, really. (This is reminding me of Pope St. John Paul II's Letter to Artists. Which you might like.)

      Art is amazing! And your thoughts on it were very Thought Provoking for me, so thank YOU!

      Delete
  5. I loved this post! You do a lot of good ones but this one might be one of favorites of yours at the moment. From an outside perspective, well Christian but it is different still, I do find there is something beautiful about Catholic artwork and not just because it is meant to be beautiful is that it does feel like there's this weight to it that and it's very intentional. So much effort is put into it and it shows. One thing that I try to do in a lot in blogposts because my blog is in a badly done way is my version of a journal/scrapbook is to capture a particular feeling/emotion or there's something about it that it'll help me remember something about the thing that I did but it's not something I make a point of to talk about it's just a very personal thing. And I find that, with the little that I've seen, Catholic artwork just seems like it does something similar and it's odd looking at something feeling like you notice when someone else is doing that. There's so much to it is what I'm trying to get at I guess, so it must be incredible for you because you have that connection to it, you know who everybody is and whatnot, knowing what it's for, and also just purely enjoying it for aesthetic reasons sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On a less reverent note, as much as I appreciate the art (because again the sheer amount of effort and the beauty of it is staggering) I am probably also the one pointing out that Jesus is ripped and moving on in all honesty XD

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Elizabeth! I really enjoyed hearing your perspective as a non-Catholic Christian. I'm both a bit surprised and very gratified that you can find something both beautiful and weighty about Catholic art. Fascinating!
      It's interesting that Catholic art seems to you to be trying to capture a particular feeling/emotion or to remind someone of something...I hadn't thought of that, but it does ring true.
      It is indeed lovely to have the connection to it. :)

      Haha, I mean, sometimes one just has to make light of heavy paintings, and while I can find it a little sad, maybe that bit of levity was just what that person needed that day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!