Catholicism & Career Resilience


Welcome back to semi-coherent philosophical-ish ramblings with Samantha! So glad to have you. Things will truly be semi-coherent today, because I am simply musing. It will be fun, I hope. Enjoy the ride.

Also, please don't be frightened by the Catholicism in the title of this post--number one, Catholics are not out to get you, and number two, a lot of what I'm saying applies to Christianity in general I think, but since I have no direct experience with any non-Catholic denominations, I can only speak from my own experience, and that is of Catholicism. I'd love to hear the point of view of someone from a different Christian background!

Anyways.

Today is a topic that I've thought about a fair amount in the last year or so, and especially the last semester, as I peer into the murky fog that's my future.
 
In one of my classes, a small five-student seminar on the Landscape Architecture department, our teacher (coincidentally also our advisor, and basically the grandma of the department) brought up the topic of planning one's career.

"You should have more than one plan for your future," she told us. "Multiple versions of your plans."

And immediately, confusion set in.

Some people don't have more than one plan or career path idea for their futures? What on earth do they do when life throws a wrench in their wheels?

And that's when I realized, for the umpteenth time, that, oh right, I don't come from a background like everyone else. (I kind of hate and kind of love those moments.)

I come from a background where it's understood that God chooses the career, we discern it, and then follow it. 

And because I know that God is ultimately the one calling the shots in my life, I have ideas about things that I'd like to do, vague plans--dreams, if you will.

But because I know that I'm someone who would make a 5-million-year plan if I could and follow it to the letter and get all bent out of shape if it got messed up, I cultivate many dreams. To name a few: being a farm designer, owning my own small farm, becoming a philosopher/theologian and working for the Church, getting married and doing any of those things, getting married and being a stay-at-home mom while also farming, becoming a Sister of Life, or a Benedictine. 

Any of those would be okay with me. Married or single, having a job or not, owning a farm or not, being a religious or not. And if God wants to call me to something else than what I've dreamed? I don't have a problem with that. Or maybe I'd have a problem with that at the time, but I would work it out, because His plan is the best plan. I keep my plans vague and only a few years out at a time (right now, finishing college) because I know that ultimately, they will need to subordinate themselves to His plan. 

And that attitude, which has been kind of hard-won (and I still struggle with it at times), has protected me in many ways, I think. If I had had just one sort of plan, I would be bent out of shape any time that it went wrong, rigidly sticking to it, and wondering, every time it did go wrong, because it would, why the world was out to get me. That's just the kind of personality I have. The kind that He gave me. 

In any case, apparently, that attitude is also trendy, minus the part about God.

That's great. I think it's wonderful that people are learning that "hey, maybe I'm not the one who's entirely in control here". But, as with many of the recent trends that have caught on--fasting from meat once a week, intermittent fasting, meditating--I can't help but observe...

Hey, we did that first.

The Catholic Church has been fasting from meat once a week for centuries...just on Fridays, not #meatlessmondays. The Church has been intermittent fasting for centuries...just for hours before Mass, not #IF. (I'm not knocking IF, I do it myself. I'm just observing that the Church did it first!) Catholics have been meditating for centuries...only, we try to fill our minds, not empty them. We have been keeping our plans loose and not clinging to them for centuries...but because we are waiting on God's will, not only because we know that unexpected things happen. 

All of these practices are things that have been scientifically proven to be good for our health, the health of our common home, and our mental health.

And yet we get told, "oh, y'all don't know what you're talking about." The world wants to believe that it knows best--about its health, about doing what it wants when it wants, &c. It doesn't want to admit that oh hey, maybe God does know best about some of those things, and might have told His Church about them in various ways throughout the centuries. It doesn't want to admit that maybe the Church has the right idea. Because then...oh the horror...they might have to listen to us about other things. Like, morals. *gasp* *faint*

Sarcasm aside, I think that it's wonderful that people are embracing things that the Church has been doing for centuries. I just sometimes wish that we got more credit for it. That is, of course, not going to happen, but that won't stop me wishing.

So, the next time I see you not eating meat on Mondays (this is a joke, bear with me), just know that I'm thinking...

Hey, we did that first.

XD


So, now it's your turn. What do you think?

Comments

  1. Come to think of it, yes, Catholics and Christians do infuse the world with traditions etc., and even though they get twisted a bit, they're still recognizable. Which I count as a win. ;) (Of course, there's still plenty left for Christians to do...)

    Faramir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my problem is that I don't think the traditions are infused from the Christian/Catholic tradition. If they were, I wouldn't complain as much! ;)

      Delete
  2. As somebody who just got waitlisted at the Catholic college I was banking on transferring to....I really needed this post. <3 Just the reminder about plans being fluid and God being in control is...good for me right now. So thanks, Sam...I really appreciate it.
    Also the whole general idea of this post is so cool. There are whole lists of things I could think of in Judeo-Christian tradition that are just so sensible, even under modern logic, and I always find it cool to find those because it's like, 'hey, God's not just some abstract spiritual figure, He's also Our Creator and He knows what it's like to be us and what we need and what would be bad for us--because He was one of us.' So...yeah. :) I love this post. A lot, ha. So thanks...God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad this post was timely for you! I always love it when I realize the Holy Spirit has had me post a certain post for a reason.

      I know, I love those moments, too! I've been listening through the Pentateuch, and there are so many parts in Jewish Law that just make so. much. sense. like all of the sanitary stuff centuries before we knew about germs, and even the dictate to not try to pick fruit from a fruit tree that's younger than three years old...that's what we still do in agriculture a lot of the time! God totally knows what is best! :)
      You are so welcome! God bless you too, Grim.

      Delete
  3. Interesting post Sam!
    I think naturally I am a multiple plan sort of person anyway, but being Catholic and needing to find out what God makes it even better:-)
    Haha, it is very true that so many popular 'customs' now started with the Church. But of course nobody wants to admit it. *sigh.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      It's good to hear from someone who is naturally a multiple plan sort of person that being Catholic enhances that, too...because I am not naturally that sort of person, so it's trickier for me. :)

      Of course no one is going to admit it...the modern world can be kind of the worst. *eyeroll*

      Delete
  4. This is a wonderful post, especially for us college students. I've had a few professors tell my class the same thing: make sure you have a backup plan in case your current plan doesn't work out. Well, ya know what, I don't even have ONE plan right now. I'm leaving my whole life up to God and everything will work out. I'm a perfectionist and if I had more than one plan, I'd get stressed when it didn't work out. So, I'm perfectly happy with God's Plan instead!

    Also, I love how this post went into the "Hey, we did that first". Very fitting indeed! Unfortunately, many Catholics don't know those traditions either. We are still required to fast from meat on Fridays or do another sacrifice, but it's sad to see that not everyone knows that. God knows the truth better than anyone. God bless and happy January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! I have hints of plans, but I don't have three fully worked out career plans, or whatever craziness the professors want us to have! XD I'm in the same boat with the dangers of having more than one plan...being a perfectionist is not the most fun, but at least the Church can help us deal with that!

      I'm glad you liked that part! I know, it's really sad that many Catholics may be getting on board with things like that in the modern world without even knowing about the history of their use in the Catholic church.

      God bless you, too! :)

      Delete
  5. YEP.

    It's kind of like when public schools want to do away with any mention or acknowledgement of God in particular or Christianity/Catholicism in general and then want to have extra classes on ethics/morals because they have a huge cheating problem.

    I'm like... um... you can't really have that both ways. You know?

    Holding on to your plans with an open hand. (Or really anything... doesn't just apply to plans!) It's a hard lesson to learn. And one I feel like I'm constantly having to go back to and re-learn with much help from the Lord! But it's such a trust-builder, too. I feel like there are many times that God has determined that my life was going to change directions on me... and sometimes it was hard, and sometimes it was painful... but in the end, it was always for my good, for His glory, and it strengthened my faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY. There needs to be some basis for these things, or else students have no reason for, say, not cheating on an exam. *facepalm*

      It's a hard lesson for me, too, and it's taken a lot of practice...I'm still not very good at it, but I'm trying! It really is a trust-builder, too. It can be hard for me to remember that His plan really is the best one, and that if I follow it, everything will work out to the good.

      Delete
  6. Sam, I love this. It's so good.

    Also, that feeling of realizing your Catholic Christian upbringing has made you a WEIRDO in a lot of ways? I know that feeling. It's a great feeling. But also a horrible one because gosh, other people don't have this?? How sad is the world??? It's heartbreaking. It's really and truly TRAGIC.

    (I get it a lot in history classes when the professor is trying to explain to college students how medieval people felt about the Church/God/the sacraments. I relate to medieval people better than I do my classmates. It's weird. IT'S WEIRD.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Megan!

      It is both a great and a horrible feeling. I love being unique in that way, and knowing that my upbringing has prepared me better for the real world in many ways, lol, but it is SO sad to know that other people don't have that!

      (Oh man, I cannot even imagine how it must be in those classes! But I can totally relate to feeling closer to medieval people than your classmates...)

      Delete
  7. This is lovely.

    And yes, I have a similar experience being a non-Catholic Christian. It's very...weird, actually. when people do the thing you've been doing your whole life (because suddenly it's trendy or the research supports it). It actually makes me sad, sometimes, because half the time they're doing the thing (cuz it's a good thing to do) but for sad reasons (like...you should have multiple career plans because your dream might crash and burn). Having a vocation to perpetually seek is so much better, more freeing, yet also more secure and hopeful, than just a career plan (one or many). I am content to go where God takes me, to set my hand to the plough where he directs, and to trust that he knows what he's doing. That as impossibly far away as my most cherished ambitions may currently look, God gave them to me for some sort of reason, anyway, and he knows what he's doing. And I'm trying really hard to seek his will and do it. So I can have faith. And flexibility too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you think so.

      I know, it's so very strange where people adopt things that you've been doing the whole time, and honestly, even worse, act like it's a new idea, or it's THEIR new idea, AND assume that you won't be onboard because of whatever reason, possibly political. XD Oy vey. And indeed, they're often doing it for sad reasons! And you're so right, seeking a vocation is much more hopeful and secure...interesting choice of word, given the concept being discussed, lol, but I agree with you. I think that sort of contentment, the contentment with obedience, is something that's really lacking in society. It's not easy...but it is incredibly beautiful.

      Delete
  8. This is such a fascinating topic. I think particularly think it's really cool when scientists/health experts finally catch up to things God said a LONG time ago. Like when he tells the Israelites not to eat or touch certain things and it might have seemed like arbitrary rules to them, but now, thousands of years later, we know that those things carried harmful pathogens. It's almost like *gasp* God knew what he was talking about XD
    (Which is why it's both hilarious and frustrating when people act like you can either believe in God or science because...God invented science? God is the original scientist and...he knows things. Everything, actually.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! I've been listening to Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy, and that's one of the fascinating things--all the things that make people unclean, or at least most of them, are also things that spread disease that they wouldn't have known about! It's like God made the world and knows how it works or something crazy like that... ;)

      (Exactly. God is pretty much the ultimate scientist, especially since "scientia" in Latin means "knowledge", and he does, in fact, know everything.)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!