January Wrap-Up + A Quirk!

My January has been a bit of a bizarre mish-mash, given that I spent half of it in the PNW and half of it in Illinois, but a lot of stuff happened, so let's jump into the wrap-up!


1. I had sixteen more days of break after the end of December, which I did my best to enjoy to the fullest--we got to have dinner with Fr. DD twice, I went to a Seahawks game for the first time ever with my siblings and cousins, and the Hawks won (it was fun, but this introvert needed a LOT of quiet time after, lol), I livestreamed two Masses, a funeral, and a wedding, got stung by my bees which, 
funnily enough, ARE still alive, met up with a couple of different friends, and read Greenglass House to my two youngest siblings. That was an absolute blast, they loved it, and I loved all the voices it gave me an excuse to do. XD Towards the end of break, right before I was supposed to leave, we were exposed to COVID, and I was really scared that I wouldn't be able to come back to school, but thank God, the tests came back negative, and so I was able to fly back as planned. In that time, though, I was freaking out and decided to draw for the first time in months, and ended up with a really nice drawing (or at least I think it is) of Fr. DD saying Mass in the Dominican Rite for the Annunciation a couple of years ago. 


2.
A friend of mine (Lewis, if you must know) during break recommended that I read The Little Prince, and then kindly brought his copy back with him from break so I could enjoy it. What he failed to mention, was that it was more or less a fairy tale, and would break me inside, and then proceed to stomp all over my bleeding heart. [He would like to point out that if he had told me how much it would break my heart, it would have ruined the experience. Fair point, Lewis. Sorry, guys, I guess I just partially ruined it for you.] I WAS NOT EXPECTING SUCH A TINY BOOK TO HURT ME SO THOROUGHLY. I suddenly understand *exactly* how Lewis [C. S., not my friend] and Tolkien feel/felt about fairy tales, and their narrative power and ability to move one to the good. That's not really a way that traditional fairy tales have ever struck me, perhaps because of overexposure, or maybe because I haven't read the right ones, but THIS BOOK. 

Y'all, THIS BOOK. 

It doesn't seem like it's going to be such a heartbreaking thing. But it's heartbreaking in its simplicity. It's the tiny moments, the tiny things that are said, that make it hurt so much, and give one that feeling, maybe close to the one that Lewis [again, C.S., not my friend. This is a bit unwieldy] calls "joy", where one wants more, all of a sudden. And also the feeling that the author understands, that he knows how Life Is. 

The author's imagination is so incredibly Catholic. I could tell just by reading it, and I wasn't surprised at all to learn, after a quick Wikipedia visit, that he indeed came from a Catholic family, descended from Saint Exupery, apparently, hence the last name Saint-Exupery.

I was not expecting such a deep experience on a Wednesday afternoon.

I feel like I can't really give more of a review without spoiling it for people who haven't read it, which I Shall Not Do, so for anyone who has read it, I will put more thoughts hidden under a spoiler marker.

(It's a short book. It will take you an afternoon. There are illustrations by the author that are worked into the story. You should read it.)

*Highlight For Spoilers*

The fox. The part with the fox. Where the fox tells the boy that he wants him to tame him, and that once that happens, he will no longer be one little boy out of the many millions, but that he will be indispensable. And then the part where the fox tells the boy "Men have forgotten this truth...you become forever responsible for what you have tamed." And when he talks about how the boy must come at the same time every day, so that he has time to get properly excited. THIS IS HOW FRIENDSHIP SHOULD WORK. True friendship. I LOVE THE FOX. 

And then that connects to how the boy feels about the rose..."she is more important, because it is she that I have watered...because she is my rose." Hello Chesterton, and the notion of loving things even though they are imperfect, just because they are yours. Hello, Christological echoes, which continue through the rest of the book and are so BEAUTIFUL that I thought I was going to start crying. If I try to express those echoes, I wind up crushing them, but they have life inside my heart. That sounds too poetical, but it's true.

Also, I just read Small Is Still Beautiful, by Joseph Pearce, which is essentially a critique of Big Economics, and globalization that I found incredibly valid, and this quote reminded me of both that and Chesterton: "Men have no more time to understand anything. They buy things all ready made at the shops. But there is no shop anywhere where one can buy friendship, and so men have no friends anymore." Taming takes time, which is in short supply these days. But it is SO important.

Speaking of friendship, another favorite quote, but without comment: "When you tell [grownups] that you have made a new friend, they never ask you any questions about essential matters. They never say to you 'What does his voice sound like? What games does he love best? Does he collect butterflies?'"

And ohhhhhh the ending. The ending about killed me. And the moment where the aviator is carrying the boy, and feels such a tenderness towards him, in his vulnerability and beauty...that is the truest description of that feeling that I have ever read.

*End Spoilers*



Before

After

3. So, since I did not have to stay home and quarantine, I am now back at Newman, the land of friends, homework, and 24/7 chapel access! I do miss being at home (not being at my home parish hit me harder this time around) but I'm really enjoying all of my classes so far (and I get to take Latin this quarter, which is half killing me and half almost my favorite class) and I'm not TOO overwhelmed with homework (although 19 credit hours does mean a LOT of homework), so that's good. My Latin teacher did throw us absolutely straight into De Bella Gallico, though, which means that I am getting a lot better at translating and parsing Latin a lot faster than I was expecting. This is a good thing, as I try to tell myself when it nears an hour of trying to get done with ONE SENTENCE. Caesar is not my favorite Latin author. 

I do enjoy being back with friends, although the precarious nature of COVID means that at any given time, probably not all of them are available for me to see, which is equal parts sad and scary...thank goodness for the quick saliva tests at UIUC! I haven't gotten it yet, as far as I know, and I'd like it to stay that way, if possible. But anyway, the delight of just randomly running into people I know all of the time is unparalleled. 

(Also, Newman pretty much has everything I need as long as I don't have class in person, which for the first week we didn't. There were two straight days where I didn't step outside the building once. That was fun.)

Additionally, as the photos above would suggest, my mom cut my hair over break. By a LOT. And it's been so funny seeing peoples' reactions--all of my female friends have noticed that it's cut, and only one of my guy friends has noticed. And he asked if it was longer. XD I think that might just be a guy thing, though...my dad didn't even notice. I had a bet with my mom on it. I almost lost five dollars, but Eomer accidentally ruined the terms of the bet by telling Dad, so I did not.


4. So, I watched Disney's new movie Encanto over break, with my siblings. And I am honestly a little bit obsessed. Just a tad. It may have something to do with the fact that Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote the music. 

Seriously, the music for that movie is amazing. It's perhaps not as good as Moana or Frozen (there are a couple of bits that feel a bit repetitive, especially in the first song), but the songs are still really enjoyable, and the way he weaves together musical motifs and writes ensemble songs...well, it's unparalleled in modern movie/musical music, really. I may or may not have gone around humming bits from "We Don't Talk About Bruno" for days. I am also a sucker for "Surface Pressure", and Mirabel's song, the name of which I forget. I have already listened to the soundtrack far too many times. The way the dynamic of the family comes through the music is spectacular!

One thing that I wasn't able to put into words until I read an interview with Lin-Manuel Miranda is that the movie doesn't center around a conflict or a quest or a disaster...it centers around the family, the Madrigals. Essentially, it's a character-driven film, which is actually really rare? The drama of the movie is in the relationships, which is why I ended the movie with such a weird feeling...the movie was not exactly what I was expecting. And I didn't know if I liked it. But then I realized exactly how the movie worked and why it worked, and it all clicked, and suddenly I realized that it's different, but not bad. 

One of the things that I really loved about it was, in fact, its focus on the family. I am from a big family myself, and I am rich in both cousins and siblings, so this family with a whole bunch of siblings and cousins and all the dynamics that go with that? I feel, to quote the hip young people, seen. I LOVE the dynamics, ESPECIALLY the cousin dynamics. But also, "What Else Can I Do" is pretty much the song version of how Legolas & my relationship has evolved in recent years, something that I just realized, but it's very perfect. (Except, in that scenario, we are both Isa and both Mirabel. XD)

I also love Mirabel. She reminds me of someone I worked with a couple of years ago, who was lovely, and I love her determination to just FIX THE DANG THING. 

Also, the diversity in the family was beautiful and felt unforced. Love.

And the house! I love sentient buildings, so that was a good touch.

Additionally, the way that the family referred to their "miracle" and "blessings" made me very happy. The emphasis on being blessed, and thus being obligated to extend those blessings to others was very well done.

I did think that the ending left a few things in the lurch that could've been resolved, especially with Luisa. From the song ("Surface Pressure"), I thought that she could've gotten more resolution at the end. Honestly, the whole ending felt a bit too speedy/unexplained, but hey, nothing is perfect.


5. Quotes: Eomer Edition

"If I put away the sauce, will you stop trying to arrange my marriage for five minutes?" --Eomer [I did agree to stop trying to arrange his marriage if he put away the sauce.] [Also, this was payback, because he'd been trying to arrange MY marriage for like a week.]

So, my guy friends at Newman will sometimes call the girls "rib" when they are displeased (usually fake-displeased) with us, and I think it's hilarious. Somehow, Eomer got wind of this, and it turns out I think it's less hilarious when used by my 13-y-o younger brother. Hence, the following quote: "I will call you rib when I'm mad at you because it's a good way to objectify you, so I feel no remorse about destroying you." --Eomer [This did not work out very well for him.]

"Get your fiancée's tunnel off of your head." --Mom [The rabbit likes Eomer more than anyone else, so we call her his fiancée. Completely in jest, obviously.]

[Discussing natural disaster response] "So, avalanches. In a small avalanche, try to get out of the way. In a big avalanche, try to say a quick act of contrition." --Eomer

*brings a very large (Jersey Giant) chicken into the kitchen while I am baking* "Do her feet have frostbite?" --Eomer


6. It has come to my attention this month that a young acquaintance of mine, namely Faramir, has started a birding blog! You can find him here

And I figured that, since he's been introducing himself to many of my blogosphere friends, it was high time to call him out.

...no, no, not to a duel! Of course not, that would be most uncivilized. No, I am calling the young man out to recommend him to you further as my younger cousin. Not so much younger as to be an impediment to discussion of writing projects, but young enough that I just barely remember his cuteness as a baby. You couldn't hide your connection to me forever, Faramir, mwahahahaha. So. Since I can't ignore it when a family member enters the blogosphere, I have created unnecessary drama, and now I am moving on.


7. Jem is doing a Quirk again! *happy dance* Find her link-up post here, and until then, here is my response to her photo prompt.


"I found a toad outside!" a little voice pipes behind me.
I whirl, startled, from the kitchen counter. I wasn't expecting her to get back inside so soon. I set down the bottle of pre-emptive pain medication. I don't know if I'll need it, but as soon as That Man gets home, there's going to be trouble. If I don't need it, That Woman will. 
"Show me," I tell my little sister, and she grabs my hand, tugging me past the piano towards the sliding doors, stubby pigtails bouncing.
"It's in the watering can," she tells me eagerly, "and now it has a hat!"
A grin creeps across my face. Her enthusiasm is almost able to block out the worry that has condensed like a cloud in my head. The cloud that doesn't ever seem to leave.
The sun is setting, and the golden light skips across the tiny back garden, making the cinderblock wall, for a second, look almost like a castle wall. If this was a fairytale, I could slay the ogre and save the princess. But this is the real world, and people go to jail for that. And I'm not eighteen yet, so I can't just rescue the princess and spirit her away to a magical land with no ogres. All I can do is drown out the growling. Two more months. I can protect the princess for two more months.
"Look!" she tells me, pointing emphatically, her tiny forefinger indicating a toad that is indeed in the watering can, and indeed wearing a hat that my sister has evidently made out of a leaf and placed upon its head. I'm surprised it stayed still for that.
The sunlight almost makes it look like a magical toad. If it was a magical toad, it would grant my wish. But we live in the real world, and the toads are just toads. Wishes are granted by hard work, and maybe a little bit of luck. Or prayer, Dad's voice whispers in my internal ear.
I shake my head. I gave up on prayer a long time ago. 
"That's certainly a toad," I affirm. "And I like the hat."
"It does, too," she tells me, looking up at my face. The sunlight makes her brown eyes look even bigger and more beautiful and innocent than usual.
At that moment, through the open sliding door and all the way out into the garden, I hear the front door slam. 
The tiny frown that creases in between her big eyes makes my heart constrict. "Did you find anything else outside today?" I ask. 
She shakes her head and says nothing, looking warily towards the house. 
"Is it time for piano yet?" she asks. 
I cock my head to the side and listen. The door slams again. That Man is home. 
"Yes, it's time for piano," I tell her, and usher her inside quickly. I want to sit down at the piano with her before the yelling starts.
Or the hitting.
Especially the hitting. 
I don't look towards the kitchen, I just make a beeline for the piano, propelling my sister ahead of me, my hand between her tiny shoulder blades. 
I slide onto the familiar wood, worn soft as velvet by my jeans over the years, and pull her up onto my lap. 
"Is there nothing for dinner, woman?" I hear That Man growl.
My sister and I ate dinner already. It was hot dogs, chips, and an apple that I smuggled home for her from school.
"If you would earn more at your stupid job, maybe there'd be better food, lazybones!" That Woman snaps back.
"If you'd look after your duty as a wife, you'd make sure there was food no matter what!"
"What should we start with?" I whisper in her ear. 
"All Through the Night," she whispers back. 
That's a good one. It's a lullaby that Dad used to sing to me. "Do you remember the melody?" I ask her.
"Of course, silly," she says, indignant.
"If you'd look after your duty as a husband, you'd provide for us!" I hear That Woman say in the background, voice raised.
My sister lowers her fingers to the yellowing keys and the short little appendages begin to move confidently through the simple melody. My hands automatically begin to layer chords underneath, and I nudge her to get louder, just as I hear the slap of skin on skin. My shoulders tense, but my fingers don't falter. 
We play all of the verses, as the yelling gets louder and louder, and the slapping continues, escalating eventually to muffled thumps. Every time I hear something like that, I push the volume louder. 
I look down at her little face, checking for fear. Alarm. But she's all concentration, lip pouting out as she makes sure that she's playing the right notes.
Of course she is. We've been playing this song since she was two.
Once we finish the last verse, I segue into the chords for "Barbara Allen", which she recognizes immediately, picking out the melody that tells the story of the fickle girl who died for her lack of love. 
The yelling crescendos behind us, getting nearer. I know what's coming before it does, and tense, as That Couple crosses behind us, and a hard hand whips out, just visible in my peripheral, and punches me in the back, then again in the kidney. I don't flinch. I can't flinch. I have to keep my body between my sister and the hand, have to keep playing the chords.
"And stop that infernal racket, boy," That Man snarls, as he follows That Woman into their bedroom, to continue their fight.
I don't stop 'that infernal racket'. I haven't done so since he moved in. And I won't. He can't hurt me badly enough for that. Or he won't. Or he hasn't yet.
The yelling continues, a little muffled now.
We keep playing, despite the ache in my back.
Finally, the yelling dies down, and she begins to grow limp in my arms, her fingers picking the tune across the keyboard slowing, and finally it's just my chords, the strong base that holds up the melody. 
I carefully wrap my arms around her, and stand cautiously, not allowing myself to groan. It hurts, but I'll survive. Somehow, I always do. "Time for bed, princess," I whisper to her, as I shift her so that her little face, eyelashes long against her cheeks, rests against my shoulder.
Two more months. We can last two more months.

Was that unnecessarily dark? Maybe. Did I enjoy every second? Quite possibly.


Did you do anything fun this January? Have you seen Encanto or read The Little Prince? What was the last book that destroyed you inside? Have you noticed that guys just don't notice haircuts? XD

Comments

  1. Aggghhh SAM that quirk. *sobs* I need them to be okay. Okay? Tell me they'll be okay. And not just okay for now.

    I have not seen Encanto, but my sisters have and it looks fun and We Don't Talk About Bruno was stuck in everyone's heads for days. : P My sister said the characters were good but the movie didn't hang together all that perfectly for her, so your notes about its being character driven make sense.

    Hey I'm taking Latin too! Half dead and half in love about sums it up. Although actually we're moving through Vergil so slowly it's more fun than torture. So far.

    I need to read The Little Prince! I almost bought Wind, Sand, and Stars by the same author the other week, cuz it's him talking about airplanes and you know me....but I haven't finished Eddie Rickenbacker's flying ace memoirs yet so I decided to hold off. I kind of wish I hadn't now, though, since you love St.-Exupery so much. I think my old parish priest, God rest his soul, gave a sermon involving The Little Prince once. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have Evoked Emotion. *evil chuckle* (Jk. I want them to be okay, too. I really do, but I don't know what happens next...I have ideas, but I'm not sure.)

      We Don't Talk About Bruno is definitely an earworm, but also, it's just a REALLY clever song, with the ensemble layering of parts that only Lin-Manuel Miranda can do well...or at least, that I've heard. I would tend to agree with your sister...once I framed it as character-driven, I liked it, but before that, I was just confused. XD

      Twins! (Well, except I think I miiiight drop Latin and take it later in my college career so that it's more retained when I want to use it...and also the teacher is stressing me out, so I don't know that I want to keep going right now. ANYway.) I am impressed with how much I love it, given how hard it is.

      Oh Megan, you DO! You of all people who I would recommend it to would love it, I think. If you read Wind, Sand, and Stars, you'll have to let me know how it is! I'm not as into airplanes, but I do love St.-Exupery. Ooh, a sermon involving it sounds like it would be amazing! And I could think of several directions in which it could go...

      Delete
  2. I read The Little Prince a few years ago, but now you're making me want to reread it. How can such a tiny bundle of pages pack such a philosophical and emotional punch???
    I adore Encanto! The FAMILY. The SIBLINGS and COUSINS and AUNTS and UNCLES and ALL OF IT. I'm very close to my family and I can never get enough of close family's in movies and books. (And my sisters and I may or may not break into all the parts of "We Don't Talk About Bruno" at random moments throughout the day.) [Speaking of Bruno, HE IS A DEAR]
    The quote about "stop trying to arrange my marriage" XD My cousin recently told us that she really wants to find a husband and get married soon, and now my sisters and cousins (and my mom, and probably my aunt) are all constantly on the look out for single guys who could be possibilites (and sometimes going up to my cousin and saying, "What about Larry?" while the Larry in question is currently standing across the room, at which point my cousin has to tell them to shut up while her face turns bright red).
    As for the Quirk:
    SOMEBODY PROTECT THESE DARLING CHILDREN. I mean, he's protecting his sister. And he's doing an admirable job, and I applaud him for being such a good and strong young man, but WE MUST PROTECT THEM BOTH. *scrambling for a pen to sign the adoption papers*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely one that's worth rereading! I'm planning on doing so at the earliest opportunity. I don't KNOW, how does he put so much in so little space???

      I KNOW all the family dynamics are the BESTEST, and it's lovely. (Ahh, I wish I was home with my family so we could sing "We Don't Talk About Bruno". That sounds like something we'd do. XD) (Bruno IS a dear, I love him.)

      Ahhhh okay, that is hilarious and ALSO sounds like my family. (Maybe families are just similar in some ways? Nah, that can't be right. XD) That must be very awkward for your cousin, and very hilarious for everyone else.

      I am a little surprised about JUST HOW MUCH everyone cares so much about these children. (I mean. I do, too. It's just. I've never gotten a reaction quite like this to a Quirk. XD You might have to fight The Sponge and Chloe to adopt them...)

      Delete
  3. THE QUIRK. SAM. THESE CHILDREN. I would love to protect them. The piano playing to shut out Traumatic Surroundings is just...heartbreaking. Why are all the best Quirks heartbreaking??
    I haven't read The Little Prince but you have made me want to.
    Encanto is so good! I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I totally fell in love with the family. They are all so endearing and COUSINS (why aren't there more movies with cousins?) and Bruno is such a darling I just don't know what to do with him. My main complaint is that there weren't more cousins/siblings, though I guess for a movie if they wanted them all to be individuals they had to do fewer humans for time's sake. Anyway. I just really loved the characters.
    "Do her feet have frostbite?" Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, but most of the best Quirks ARE heartbreaking! Maybe it's a challenge to break peoples' hearts in the shortest amount of time possible? XD

      You totally should. It's another thing that will break your heart...

      There absolutely need to be more movies with cousins! And I absolutely agree--after the movie I was thinking to myself "yeah, that was a sort of big family, but it could've been bigger..." and I do understand WHY they didn't do that, but...I want a five-child immediate family. A ten-child immediate family. Something BIG.

      I wish I had a picture, because that large of a disgruntled chicken in the kitchen while I was baking was quite the thing.

      Delete
  4. Good that you had a bunch of time to relax after Christmas! (I started school on the 3rd. It was a shock.)

    Nnnng I really want to watch Encanto, but I just don't have the time. *sighs* Oh well.

    Thanks for mentioning me. (I feel like blogging should focus on friendship rather than the number of views. And, of course, the actual blog ;) )

    Faramir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the time after Christmas is definitely a perk of college.

      You should watch it at some point!

      You're very welcome.

      Delete
  5. Speaking of stories that destroy a person, WHAT DO YOU CALL THAT QUIRK?? My whole heart is aching now and I don't know when it will stop. (please give me a "two months later" snippet so I can see them get out of it. please. please. please.). Your writing, though? Like, the whole part where you were talking about the sun on the cinderblock wall making it look like a castle? THAT WAS MAGICAL. *all the heart eyes* *continues sniffling because IT WAS HEARTBREAKING*
    (And now you're making me want to participate in quirks, even though I have no time for that...)

    Ahem. I have not read The Little Prince, but I've read many books that spoil the ending so when I read it I probably won't be affected that much (famous last words). All the same, I didn't read your section of hidden spoilers just in case I don't know everything. (it took me a long time to figure out how you took that picture of the book and why the picture on the wall was sideways before realizing you are probably on your bed. XD Am I right?)

    I am hearing NOTHING but Encanto this, Encanto that, all. the. time. so I want to watch it and see what this hype is all about. XD From the trailer it looks like something I'll love, so that's good. From what you know about me, do you think I'd like it? ;) From that gif it kind of looks like Tuesdays at the Castle which I LOVE.

    Guys hardly ever notice haircuts. XD My sister and I make fun of this all the time. My dad always notices, though, because he hates it when my hair is short, lol. That is HILARIOUS that your one friend asked if it was longer!

    (I just realized that I am answering the comment pretty much in the opposite order of how you wrote the post. XD That's what happens when I have to scroll up all the time.)
    Your drawing is fantastic! I am in awe. That's so scary that you were exposed to Covid! I'm so glad it all worked out. <3 (that explains the stressful day!). So many people are getting it here and saying that everyone will get it eventually and I'm like, I WOULD LIKE TO AVOID THAT, PLEASE.

    I hope you have a fabulous February, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oops?? Do you think I'm going to apologize for breaking your heart with a Quirk? That's definitely against the Heartless Writer code. (I kind of want a two months later snippet, too. But I also kind of want Gary D. Schmidt to write it, not me, and that is not going to happen. XD) Oh my goodness, Chloe, thank you so much! I liked that moment, too, but I was worried it was weird. XD (You should, though. Even with no time.)

      You will still absolutely be affected, and you need to go read it now. *shoos you towards the library* (Yes, I was on my bed. That was a good day. I lay in my bed and read a beautiful book, it doesn't get that much better.)

      Oh, Chloe, I think you'd LOVE Encanto! It definitely has Tuesdays at the Castle vibes, which I love, too.

      It's. So. Funny. I don't understand how they DON'T see it??? But hey, it is hilarious, so there's that.

      (Haha, I usually open blog posts in two windows, so I can read with one window and comment with the other window, to avoid the scrolling up and down. It works pretty well.)

      Thank you so much! It was a fun afternoon. I really need to be in the right mood to draw like that, but I want to do it more often. Yes, I'm glad it worked out, too, and yes, that was the stressful day. I do think everyone will probably get it eventually, but I DON'T WANT THAT EITHER.

      Thank you! You, too!

      Delete
  6. ACH ACH ACH. SOMEBODY IS APPRECIATING THE LITTLE PRINCE. THANK YOU. IT'S BEEN ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS SINCE I WAS LIKE SEVEN AND IT'S CRIMINALLY UNDERRATED AND THAT'S A FACT. Ahem. Yeah. It's been so long since I've read it that I don't remember any particular favorite books. I just know it's a unique and enchanting and thought provoking book. I am notorious for *NOT* crying over fiction that deserves crying over. But I cried over that, at like, ten years old, on my fifteenth reread. And I really need to read it again. (hmm. I have a long car ride tomorrow. *stuffs it in her knapsack*)
    Ach ach ach that quirk absolutely broke my heart. And more so 'cuz I wasn't expecting it? Like. Sarah's is this cute happy little fairytale and yours just ripped everybody's heart out and stomped on it. SAM. HOW COULD YOU. (Although heck, I really love your style, girl. You should be a writer or something. :P)
    I have not seen Encanto, but because it's such a thing these days, I've listened to the soundtrack and such and I really enjoyed it. I agree with you that the overall 'family' rather than 'individual' theme the story seems to have is really rare and beautiful. Also We Don't Talk About Bruno lived rent-free in my head, as the kids say, for the better part of a week. XD So yeah.
    I had a pretty eventful January, actually. I mean, I spent 90% of it sick with maybe-probably-COVID, but in the last week or so, once I finally got over the sickness, I got a full-time job, discovered that God had opened a window after He closed the door in terms of college transfers, and also, my favorite folk band just released a new album and I'm mildly obsessed. So yeah. It was pretty good. :) Lovely post friendo! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH YOU KNOW AND LOVE IT, TOO! WHY HAVE NOT MORE PEOPLE READ IT? WHY IS IT NOT A STANDARD CHILDREN'S BOOK?? It is so beautiful, and yes, enchanting. I'm also notorious for not crying over fiction, but I *almost* cried over it, which says a lot. I'd probably cry on a reread. Which will happen. Rereading will CERTAINLY happen.

      Um, I don't have a TON of control over what my brain thinks of for Quirks, so it's only like 95% my fault that I ripped everyone's heart out and stomped on it. *guilty smile* (Thank you so much, Grim! That's so kind of you to say!)

      Um, yeah, We Don't Talk About Bruno is still, as the kids say, living rent-free in my head, and probably will do so for another...month? (I had it stuck in my head during daily Mass the other day. That was fun. XD)

      Wow, I'm glad you're feeling better, and congrats on both the full-time job and the open window of college transfers! And enjoy the new album!!!

      God bless you, too, Grim!

      Delete
  7. Sibling quotes are always chaos xD And it's so kind of you to create a ✨drama✨ entrance for your cousin xD

    Having heard so much about Encanto, I'm going to have to hunt down a copy! There's really nothing like families in fiction, we need more.

    Your Quirk is beautiful and tender ((as is his back probably i'LL SEE MYSELF OUT)) and I wish to hug these poor smol ones, please hug them for me. Thank you for once again participating, Samantha! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are. XD I was trying to think of quotes and I couldn't think of any...but then I realized, wait my siblings are an infinite source of them, lol.

      If you love families in fiction (which, I think you do!) I think you'd love to watch Encanto!

      Aww, thank you! (I'm guessing it is but JEM that's so MEAN. XD) They are in need of all the hugs, certainly. You're very welcome! It's absolutely my pleasure. :)

      Delete
  8. Hallo, mein Schwester! I'd like to inform you that Encanto is the best Disney movie ever made. Sorry, lass, but Moana and Frozen don't stand the chance of an ice cube in hell. (great simile or what?)
    Glad you shared my quotes! Those bits of comedic gold *must* be given freely!
    The quirk was good, but there's been enough praise in the comments and I don't want to swell your head. Ok, Mom's calling, so I gots to go! Until I feel brotherly again, I sign myself,

    Your Favorite Brother,
    Eomer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, drop the German. I respectfully disagree with you, as I believe the consensus is that Tangled is the best Disney movie ever made. (And I still think Moana and Frozen are also better. Sorry.)

      *eyeroll* well, thank you for encouraging my humility, I guess.

      Farewell, O The Most Irritating On My Blog Brother ;)

      Delete
  9. YOU READ THE LITTLE PRINCE ACKKKKK. Saaaaaam. I love that book SO SO SO SO SO MUCH. And all your thoughts!!!! I loved hearing you put a bit of them into words, because I've never done that for myself, because I reeeally didn't want to destroy the magic of the thing. Like, I made my mom read it after my friend made me read it, and first she read the DUMB DUMB Richard Howard translation which is DUMB and NO GOOD, and so then I made her read the original Katherine Woods one instead, and she liked it better but she was still all confused about the ending and we had this long discussion about it and I got quite frustrated and was like, "stop trying to make it an allegory! stop trying to understand it as an allegory! stop /ruining it/! just enjoy the beauty unanalyzed!" because I hated thinking about it that way? The parallels to real life are *small*? It's something that needs to be appreciated on, like, *not* an intellectual level. Anyway it's so beautiful and I'm so so glad you loved it (and put a bit of it into words). (And aren't the illustrations the best?)

    Anyway it's gorgeous and now I want to reread Wind, Sand, and Stars because I love Saint-Exupery's MIND. (And it's interesting you say he has a clearly Catholic imagination. Like, it makes sense seeing as he's French and all. He's quite clearly (from Wind Sand and Stars) not a Christian - very humanist - but I wonder if as I read it this time I'll pick up on the "humanist-but-shaped-by-a-Catholic-background" vibes. It shall be interesting. Saint-Exupery overall had the MOST interesting life and the most FITTING death and just...he's such a cool guy, honestly.)

    OKAY I'M DONE FANGIRLING ABOUT EARLY AVIATORS AND WILL MOVE ON TO THE REST OF THE POST. XD

    That's hilarious about your hair! (And it looks really nice at the new length!) The funny thing is, I've heard people say guys don't notice stuff like that, but in my experience guys notice more! Don't know what's going on there, but yeah, in middle school I cut my hair (put in layers and everything) and it was a guy who first noticed. And once I fixed my hair a way I don't usually, and it was my dad who commented that I looked like "that elf in those movies your mom likes" (he meant Legolas :P) because I unfortunately do look kinda like Legolas when I pull my hair back in that particular way... xD And once when I curled my hair none of my girl friends at co-op really noticed, but the second I walked in my guy friend was like "you look like Galadriel!" So...yeah. Girls will notice small changes, but guys will notice the large ones. That is my (apparently unusual) experience.

    Lastly, SAM THE QUIRK. What was the last piece of fiction that destroyed me inside, you ask? As if you don't know??????!! You are Mean. I am Not Amused. AAAAHHahhhgg somebody protect the babies. The writing is just beautiful and heartbreaking and the babies.... The way you wrote it also gave me this awful feeling that Something is gonna Happen before two months are up? So please please please write me a sequel that puts all my fears to rest? For they are so sweet and sad and must be protected. Ugh I have such a soft spot for kids who need saving from the ogre trying really hard to save other kids from the ogre. Such a soft spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, YOU'VE READ IT TOO!!! JOY!!! So few people have read it, honestly? I don't know how it's possible! I did my best with my thoughts, but honestly, there is so MUCH MORE that I just COULDN'T get out without ruining it, because it's Tolkienian in not really being an allegory but having elements of truth/beauty/goodness that point places, and it absolutely kills it to try to understand it as an allegory! It needs to be understood on the level of daily life, may be a good way to put it? (The illustrations ARE the best. And the critiques of them in the text are the second best. XD)

      Ooh, would you recommend Wind, Sand, and Stars? I hadn't thought about reading any of his other works, but if you like it... (I'd be VERY interested to hear if you can pick up the Catholic resonances the next time you read it! Come to think about it, I'll be interested to see if I notice them the next time I read it, bc I didn't write down exactly where I saw them (see: not ruining it), and I might not be able to find it again. XD)

      I know, it was really funny! (And thank you!) You must be around really observant guys, I guess? That's interesting, I suppose the "guys don't notice" isn't a universal. Which makes sense, because most gender stereotypes aren't. XD (It is not a bad thing for you to look like Legolas when you pull your hair back, lol! I love that.) So, I guess you only look like LOTR characters when you change your hair? 😂

      Your implication that this is the last piece of fiction that destroyed you inside might be the single best compliment I've ever gotten on my writing. XD Everyone is asking for a sequel, and I never meant to write one, and what I really want is for Gary D. Schmidt to write a sequel, except, I also DON'T want that *glares at him*, and I have so much else going on, but I love the kids, too, so...we'll see. But I can't promise that a sequel would put your fears to rest, because...well. I'm not as bad as GDS, but I do hurt my characters...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!