Review: Miss Percy's Pocket Guide (to the Care and Feeding of British Dragons) by Quenby Olson


Back to reviews! I haven't done one of these in forever...

I can't actually remember where I saw this book and decided to add it to my TBR, but I'm very glad I did. It was an excellent airplane read, very enjoyable, and even better than I expected! It's Regency-ish-era-with-Dragons, but it's more reminiscent of Heyer than Austen (although there are some Austen-y bits) ...essentially Georgette Heyer with dragons. If that's not enough recommendation for you...well, I'm not sure what you're doing here. (Just kidding. I am 100% joking. Please stay.)


Miss Mildred Percy inherits a dragon.

Ah, but we’ve already got ahead of ourselves…

Miss Mildred Percy is a spinster. She does not dance, she has long stopped dreaming, and she certainly does not have adventures. That is, until her great uncle has the audacity to leave her an inheritance, one that includes a dragon’s egg.

The egg - as eggs are wont to do - decides to hatch, and Miss Mildred Percy is suddenly thrust out of the role of “spinster and general wallflower” and into the unprecedented position of “spinster and keeper of dragons.”

But England has not seen a dragon since… well, ever. And now Mildred must contend with raising a dragon (that should not exist), kindling a romance (with a humble vicar), and embarking on an adventure she never thought could be hers for the taking.


Worldbuilding/Writing Style
As I said, it's essentially a Regency-era world, which seems pretty normal until out of the blue, the MC is gifted with a dragon egg, which then has the audacity to hatch. The world is built subtly but matter-of-factly enough that the reader gets a sense of the Regency world without actually having to think too hard about what era they're reading about. Less in-your-face this-is-Regency-era than Georgette, a little more so than Jane Austen. A good balance. And I absolutely love the way the dragon is written. It's unique from many dragons that I've seen in fiction, and while initially that startled me a little bit, I ended up liking it.

And the writing style! Good gracious, the writing style. Each chapter starts with a snippet from an actual book that exists in the fictional world called "Miss Percy's Pocket Guide" &c, and it almost always fits the chapter perfectly. And the narrator often pops out of the story to comment on the writing or the characters' actions or whatever in a very snarky ironic/sarcastic way, and I absolutely love it. I know that breaking the fourth wall isn't everyone's cup of tea (it's not always mine, either) but it works so well here! 


Plot
Honestly, this entire plot could pretty much be summed up as "the MCs are in a Jane Austen novel and the SCs are from a Georgette Heyer novel", adding a dragon to that, of course. It was most enjoyable and unpredictable, and the parts that were especially Heyer-y amused me greatly. (I never feel like I know what to say about plots I like. The author plotted well? There were no obvious holes? She told a good story? Nothing seriously weird happened with the plotline? Save the Cat works? Help me out here, guys.)


Characters
I absolutely loved the MC, Mildred. She's a little bit like Anne Elliot in that she's a rather Shy and Retiring Person who has been cowed by her (younger) sister into a variety of things that she wouldn't have chosen on her own, i.e. living in said younger sister's house and taking care of her children. This has been a temporary arrangement for seventeen years, and poor Mildred doesn't know exactly how that happened, or how to get her lost time back. Through the book, her slow growth was one of the real highlights for me...the author did an incredible job of making the growth so slow that one barely notices it until one wakes up and thinks "wait, that's completely different from what she'd've done before." Perfection. Also, her use of coffee as means to an end was one of the most relatable things I've ever read about a character in fiction in my entire life.

Also, the village vicar, Mr. Wiggan, is the sweetest of well-meaning, hard-working, absent-minded Anglican clergymen. I loved him. And his housekeeper was also the absolute best.

The children who Mildred is looking after, Nottie & Matthew, are not the worst children in the world...they are honestly kind of sweet, when they're away from home and their mother-who-is-the-worst.

One of the most impressive characters, in my opinion, was actually the villain, because he was incredibly sympathetic and good at making even the reader see his side of the issue, even though he was completely wrong. Part of this might be because the end he is aiming for is solidly decent, even though the ends by which he wishes to obtain that end are dubious at best. 'Twas well written. 

And of course, no overview of the characters would be complete without the dragon, whose name is fantastic and which I will allow you to discover on your own, the cat-like reptilian creature who loves bacon. I liked him very much.


Romance
There's a bit of a romance subplot, and it's built oh-so-slowly and sweetly in the best possible way. There's also another mostly unimportant romance side plot that is very Heyer-esque. XD


Content
One barely implied LGBT relationship, one part that could be read as slightly off-color (i.e. off-color situational comedy), a kiss. I don't think there was any swearing, but I wasn't specifically looking for it. Overall, very clean.


Overall Rating
I give this one four stars! 


Do you like narrators who break the fourth wall? How do you describe a plot you love? Do you prefer romance as a subplot, romance as a main plot, or no romance at all?

Comments

  1. Ooh, this one looks so fun! Sounds very refreshing. I'm adding it to my reading list. (After the Mistborne series and the Gregor the Overlander series and The Giver Quartet...yeesh.)
    I honestly love the sly, fourth wall breaking narrator, and it's not done enough, in my opinion. For instance, I really enjoyed the narrator for The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland, that one is so fun. But I do think there's some finesse involved? I've never really read a book that did that style of narrator badly, but maybe that just means that I'm sheltered or something.
    I've never...really thought about what kinds of plot I like. Which is definitely interesting, considering that people love discuss their favorite kinds of characters and settings and (sometimes) themes. Plot is sadly neglected. Now I'm probably going to spend the rest of the day thinking about plot devices, thanks Sam.
    My favorite kind of romance is the subtle, sweet, subplot kind. The reason is that, at least in YA, when an author shapes the plot around romance, it usually means that there's some kind of scene that I have to skip, which is really annoying.
    It's so nice to have a review again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was refreshing, while not being *too* refreshing, if you know what I mean. (Look, don't talk to the girl with 3+ bujo pages of reading list about your reading list...XD)

      I KNOW, it's such a lovely style! There is a bunch of finesse involved, though, you're right...I have read a couple of books in which it was done badly (don't remember what they were, though, I must've blotted out the titles) and it was...Not Good.

      True! Plot is neglected in tallying what people love about and how people love books! Which is probably why it's hard for me to include it in a review! XD

      Sweet subplot is the best way for romance to be, I concur. You're right, too--I hadn't thought about that. Modern romance is the WORST. *heavy sigh*

      I'm glad you enjoyed it! I worry that people don't like reviews, so I don't do them very often, but maybe I'll prioritize them a bit more...

      Delete
  2. I LOVE NARRATORS WHO BREAK THE FOURTH WALL. Also this book sounds amazing. Like ridiculously amazing. *sighs* Here we go again. TBR gains another pound. XD In answer to your other questions, romance is definitely most likable to me as a subplot. In which position I'm rather fond of it. But I can also do without. I'm not big on romance as the main plot. In fact, I'd say I'm distinctly against it in most cases. Just 'cuz romance doesn't exist in a vacuum and while people may besottedly think of and act towards their lover only for a little while, in the first enrapturement, why would you write a book focused solely on that part of a romance, really? I mean. That's perhaps the most dramatic part, sure. But it's the least edifying part. Certainly not worth enough thought for a whole main plot. Now, if you want to have a mature romance as the main plot, that's cool. But I'm personally not into 'new' romances as the main plot of a story. Which is maybe hoity-toity of me. I dinna ken. I don't know where I was even going with this thought lol...sorry...
    I personally like plots that THEORETICALLY use tropey situations, but turn them on their heads in a clever fashion. Which is oddly specific. I mean. I like all kinds of plots. That's just something particular I'm partial to, I guess. :)
    God bless you, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are SO good when done well! Haha, I am sort of sorry for adding to your TBR, but that was also kind of the point of this post, so...also not sorry? *winning smile*

      I'm in the same boat about romance! Romance as the main plot *can* be done well, like in Heyer or Austen (I've been talking about them all through the post, I might as well keep going) but honestly, even in those books, the focus is often *not* on the romance itself (kind of like in this book), more on external events, other people, &c. So, I guess it could count as a subplot?

      You're absolutely right, though, romance doesn't exist in a vacuum, and the besotted part is probably the least interesting part of romance. (And the sappiest. Blech.) I don't think it's hoity-toity of you to not like the 'new' romances...I think that's you having standards. Just my opinion...

      Mm, I like those, too! I don't think I've read enough of them...what are some of your favorite instances?

      God bless you, too, Grim! :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds so cute and good!! I do love dragons, and I love more unique takes on them (more unique than my current wip, LOL) like this :) May have to add to my goodreads pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really cute and wholesome! If you like dragons, I'd definitely recommend...the dragon doesn't come in *quite* as much as in some books, but I liked him very much. :)

      Delete
  4. This looks delicious! I really do like narrators who break the fourth wall - I mean, Just So Stories and Peter Pan are two of my Absolute Favorite Books, so clearly. :P I wish my library had it! One of these days, if I see it, I shall read it.

    And oh my goodness, why ARE plots so hard to describe??

    It's nice to see a review from you again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious, and it's hard to do well, but when it's done well...well, one gets things like Just So Stories and Peter Pan...'nuff said. I got it on Kindle Unlimited...idk if you have access to that, but if you haven't had it before, there's usually a one month free trial...

      I don't KNOW but they ARE!

      I'm glad! I tend to find that reviews are not my most popular posts, so I'm glad some people like them. :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds lovely! I don't generally get excited about dragons--but wallflower-regency-spinster-inherits-a-catlike-dragon-that-eats-bacon sounds...excellent? And I love narrators who snarkily break the fourth wall. Like J.M. Barrie in Peter Pan. Or DICKENS. The level of sarcasm in Dickens' narration is off the charts and I adore it. Also, Mr. Wiggan sounds lovely. I'm often wary of romances, but a slow, sweet romance between two adults (one of whom is a humble vicar) sounds quite promising :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather excellent--and that summarized it quite nicely! :) Oh, Dickens! I had forgotten about his narration. I always forget how much I enjoy his tongue-in-cheek humor unless I'm reading one of his books at the time, but it really is phenomenal. I do think you'd like this romance more than most...

      Delete
  6. I'm always here for 'it's this, but with dragons'

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!