The Pros and Cons of Out of State School

We're taking a little break from regularly scheduled philosophical posts, because a bunch of the ones that I want to do require me to read things that I'm not right about to read...and also because I have something really exciting coming up for you on Saturday! So, instead of a philosophical post, I'm doing a different non-book related post, this time looking at the pros and cons of attending an out-of-state college, something I have first-hand experience with. :) Hopefully it'll be amusing, and perhaps thought-provoking.

(Also, yes, I did make a graphic for this post for the first time ever. Canva is magic. Please be impressed. XD)


Pros:

1. Different Environment
Starting off with the basics, sometimes it's nice and even exciting to be in a place with different landscape, landmarks, and even architectural styles. The completely flat landscape here in Illinois, coupled with the two-species ecology (corn and soybeans...jk, I know there are more species than that, but some days...) has certainly been different and interesting, as have been the Great Lakes, which I haven't seen up close, but I have flown over a couple of times. And that's just the natural landscape--the architecture here is also quite different from most of where I'm from. It's all red brick, which happens to be one of my favorite aesthetics--that's what our church and house are both made out of, and I LOVE being in a place where almost all the buildings are made that way! 

2. Different Philosophies
There are so many viewpoints that I've heard about during my life and reacted to by thinking "haha, that's hilarious. There's no way anyone thinks that." And in my college career thus far, I've come to realize...oh yeah, sometimes people do think that. And it's a little bit weird, and I don't usually AGREE with the thing the people think, but I do think that knowing that real people do think that lends a certain amount of gravitas to my consideration of the issue...knowing that there are two sides to it and all that. This doesn't apply only to out-of-state schools, but I do think there are philosophical differences between states (where I'm from there is definitely more confidence in the government, and here the government is super corrupt, for instance) that can be growth opportunities. 

3. Different Networking
I'm about 2000 miles away from home, and that means I'm about 2000 miles closer to the East Coast, and a whole bunch of other things. That means I get to meet people who know different cool people, which means I get to meet different cool people. This is called networking. Most of the networking I have done has been Catholic networking. (Do I have problems with that? No.) This means that I now know several more of the Eastern Dominican Province Dominicans than I did before, and also the Vocations Directors for both the dioceses of Peoria and Chicago. This is pretty cool, I think. I'm used to the fact that I had my First Reconciliation with the now-Prior Provincial of the Western Dominican Province, but I'm not used to the fact that I had lunch with the head of the Thomistic Institute randomly over Fall Break. #Catholicnerdstuff (Presumably this also works with jobs. I guess I also do know the head of the Landscape Architecture department here and a bunch of the professors, too, who I wouldn't know if I'd stayed in-state.)

4. Being Far From Family/Being Close to Other People
Sometimes, you just want a little bit of space. Personally, I chose out of state school during the COVID lockdown, where I was a little too close to my family for comfort. And I don't know if this is just me, but sometimes it's nice to have a little bit of distance. A little bit of perspective. (Not permanently. Just for four years.) Also, being here means that I am quite a bit closer to several other members of my extended family, who I don't see quite as often, so that is enjoyable.

5. More Variety to Choose From
There are around 27 four-year colleges (not counting community colleges that got themselves one or two four-year degrees. I love those schools--I took classes at one in high school--but for my purposes, they Don't Count) in my state, and almost 4000 four-year colleges in the United States. I am in a very specialized major. Hence, there are exactly two (2) schools in-state that have my major, and one (1) that had my major and my minor. In the US, there are approximately forty-six colleges that have my major (there are twelve states that don't have Landscape Architecture at all. If I lived in Maine and wanted an in-state school, I'd be up a creek without a paddle). I don't have data for major and minor, but it's definitely fewer. So, in order to get a good amount of variety in various things (major size, minors (obviously), college size, environment, Catholic community, &c), I had to look out of state. Now, this may not be true for everyone, since many majors are more common, but there's an incredible degree of variety among colleges, and looking out of state allows you to be just that much more picky about what you want in a school.

6. More Travel
I honestly could have justified my attendance at UIUC (to myself, at least) as an excuse to fly back and forth. I know, I know, come after me environmentalists, but I just. love. flying. Or, honestly, an excuse to drive back and forth, take the train back and forth, &c, could work just as well as an excuse. I love travel in general, I guess? There's just something about that liminal space where there's nothing in particular you're supposed to be doing, so you can read, or watch new things go by out the window, or sleep and wake up somewhere new, or whatever, and it's absolutely societally acceptable. Also, for flying in particular, there is nothing like take-off. And when I was coming back to school after break, I was riding in a tiny plane from Chicago to the regional airport, and it was just after dark, and we came up above the clouds and all along the horizon were these beautiful soft but intense layers of red fading to orange and yellow and green and finally deep blue, and the stars and planets were just starting come out...that moment was absolutely worth coming to an out of state school for. ;)


Cons:

1. Different Environment
It. Is. Freaking. Flat. Here. I don't understand how people who've lived here their entire lives live without hills! Some of my friends have NEVER SEEN MOUNTAINS in their ENTIRE LIVES. How is this even possible???? I come from a place where the mountains are part of life, and acknowledged in passing like acquaintances ("the Mountain is out" is a familiar utterance when it's a clear day and we can see Mt. Rainier). The mountains are a familiar and comforting blanket around the shoulders of the city, and simply beautiful on a good day. And the water! I come from a place where a big body of water is never far away, and tidepooling is a perfectly legitimate pursuit for an empty afternoon when the tide falls just right. Here, when you get out of town, there is Absolutely Nothing until an empty horizon, and honestly, it freaks me out. And the biggest body of water from here to Lake Michigan (which is two hours away) is a cow pond, pretty much. I really don't love the natural landscape here. (And don't even get me started on the agricultural practices.) (I think my friends find me obnoxious because I complain about Illinois too much. XD I like it here, I promise! But only for four years!)

2. Different Philosophies
The amount of rage and sorrow that I suppress on a weekly basis at the stupid viewpoints that I didn't think existed but come across on said weekly basis is enormous. 'nuff said. (Again, this could be partly a being-in-college thing, but at least SOME of it is a being-across-the-country thing.)

3. Different Networking
Are these headings starting to look familiar? As it turns out, in terms of professional networking, having a profession network that is about 2000 miles away from the place where I ultimately want to work is not the most productive, Catholic networking notwithstanding. 

4. Being Far From Family/Being Close to Other People
As much as somethings it's nice to be away from home, there are days where I really miss my family. And also my home parish. One of my friends here accused me of missing my home parish more than I missed my family. My response: "I can call and Skype my family; it's harder to do that with the parish and the priests." Once the semester starts, I'm usually wrapped up enough in living and learning that I don't miss home all that much (I felt guilty about that first semester, however, I've decided not to this semester), but the week before the semester ends, or the week the semester starts? I have missed my family and home parish so much. I literally hallucinated my sister's head in the cafeteria for a second on one of the days right before break. 
The flip side of this also is that when one is an out-of-state student, most of one's friends will be in-state students. Thus, they will all be much closer to each other during break than one is to them. Thus, they will do fun things together during break, like hike, or watch Endgame, that one wishes one could do with them, but one can't. Because one is about 2000 miles away.

5. More Expensive
Out of state university is straight-up MUCH more expensive than in-state university. Depending on the state, something to the tune of 17-20k more expensive. And scholarships do help, but the fact remains...that is a lot of money. I had to be pretty sure I wanted this, which was definitely stressful.

6. More Travel
I do love traveling, but number one, it is expensive also, and number two, for my travel at least, by plane, the travel eats up an entire day. It'd be even longer if I had to take the train, and driving was about five days (33ish hours drive time). If I lived in-state, it'd probably take me four hours, tops, to drive home, and flying would be about twenty minutes, if I cared to do so.  


So...do the pros outweigh the cons? For me, they do. But not for everyone. It really does depend on the programs and plusses the college offers--for me, the Newman Center, I would do Quite A Lot to make sure I went to a college with a good Newman Center, and this is the best--and how well those outweigh the negatives. So, just things to think about. ;)


I'd love to hear about your experience! If you're a college student, are you in-state or out-of-state? How did you make that decision? If you're not a college student yet, what are you leaning towards most?

Comments

  1. Why is there a post on tuesday? (*Realizes that it's wednesday, not tuesday*. Sorry.)

    Ah, it's so that we can have twO POSTS IN ONE WEEK!!! *CHEERS!*

    Gah, I get you on all of these. Like, families are somewhat obnoxious but then you realize they aren't so bad as you used to think and that there's a lot more than just the obnoxiousness and you miss them so much... That is totally understandable. And while people are great, they might not be as close as your family. Which is... lacking but still partially fills the hole, which is good.

    At least we have Zoom and Skype & such, that really helps with these problems of being away from family.

    Travel does take up an immense amount of time. Planes take up less time than cars, though, so if you want to go somewhere fast, that's the way to do it. But honestly I prefer cars, because of the nice views, and also you get a space, no matter how cramped, to yourself. Without any other noisy people around (Except maybe your family :) ).

    Ugh, I have no idea what I'm going to do. I still have years left till I have to have decided, though, so I'm not worrying about it to much. (Although I'm digging something Ornithology. Not surprising ;) .)

    Faramir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad you're excited!

      Yes, family is one thing that is absolutely irreplaceable! But Zoom & Skype do definitely help.

      Cars are good for many things, but the thing is, planes fly, and that I like way more than cars. XD

      Well, you have a lot of good options close to home, I think! More than I did...

      Delete
  2. Sam you have done this girl a favor. I am currently going to college in my state--community college--but have been trying to figure out whether or not to go in state or out of state for my transfer and also wondering where the heck I can find a good Catholic college with the things I want. After like...*thinks*...the better part of a year? spent searching and applying and half driving myself mad over the decision, I think I've finally found my ideal college. Out of state. Which is kind of unfortunate. I really wanted to be in state. (but the only in-state option was the one I got waitlisted at haha.) I mean, it's unfortunate in some degrees. Specifically, being far away from my family. But honestly, one of the great attractions of the place for me--just a nice sidenote; I'm not picking it for this, I just like it--is the differing landscape, ha. As well as the possibility of meeting different viewpoints? The thing is, it's very, very very small. (like less than a 100 students in the entire student body.) so to go there you probably have a very specific set of 'ground rules', and it can't be too different from my 'ground-rules' lol, otherwise I wouldn't be interested too. So yeah. I've honestly gotten quite enough radically different viewpoints just at my community college to last me a lifetime. it is...remarkable how some folks think.
    Anyway. I'm not sure how much sense this post makes. But this post does me good. Because like. I dinna ken. I just really need to be thinking about this stuff, and have been thinking about it, and it's nice to have somebody who's actually experienced it talking about it. So thankee'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grim, I'm so glad this was helpful! The soul-searching and web-searching involved sounds like it must have taken quite a toll! But I'm so glad that you've found your ideal college, even if there are a few trade-offs. Being far from family is hard...although I found it less hard than I expected, so I hope that'll be your experience, too...

      (I totally chose my top colleges partially based on landscape, so there is nothing to be embarrassed about if that was a great attraction! XD)

      Actually, some of the most jarring different viewpoints I've met have been in the insular Newman Center faithful-Catholic group, which has about 100 people, liberal estimate (let's just say that views of the relationship between faith & science differ, as do interpretations of extra ecclesia nulla salis), so you might find more different viewpoints than you expect! But I hope it's nothing too bad.

      But, a student body of less than 100 students sounds like a really unique experience! I hope that'll be enjoyable for you!

      I'm so glad this post has done you good! I wasn't sure if there was anyone who it would be useful for, so I'm glad it was for you, at least. :) You are very welcome.

      Delete
  3. Glad you're enjoying college despite the cons! It's a huge thing to do so I'm glad it's going well.
    Honestly missing other things more than your family even though you do miss them is completely normal so don't feel too bad XD
    Also good job on the graphic! I'm sure their simple enough to do but I've never actually done one so I don't know what the process is like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm also glad it's going well. XD
      Ahh, thanks for the reassurance! I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences that...
      Thank you *again*! I just used Canva, which was really easy, but it was a little scary, so I'm glad I'm over the hump of learning to do it. ;)

      Delete
  4. FYI, I depend on certain bloggers to help me keep track of what day it is in the week so when I wake up I can just scroll through blogger quickly and register what I'm supposed to do based on who is posting. When you went and started posting on a WEDNESDAY so I thought it was the weekend. Then it wasn't. Disappointment. How dare you. (100% jk! Jk! I was a little confused for a second on Wednesday, but I'm HAPPY to get an extra post. For some reason I think I'm a wit tonight even though that has never happened so I don't know why it should now. XD XD XD)

    First, this is SO RELATABLE! XD I mean, I'm not out of state, but it's a big state so it applies to me. (Oh, especially the expensive one. That's what I get for going to a private school...) (though, I guess the travel one doesn't count. Aside from that!). I'm probably crazy, but I couldn't even get it in my head about going far. That seemed utterly out of the question. In fact, when looking at colleges, I printed out a map of the U.S. and drew a circle around it with my hometown in the center. I said I would not even look at places outside that circle. I love where I am, but I laugh at my younger self for being so weird. My original plan was to be close enough where I could go home to work with my dad on weekends or something, but THAT hasn't happened at all because I'd have to quarantine then what would be the point, you know? That and how I don't actually have a car. XD

    For the first semester I couldn't wait to go, but for the second I was more reluctant. A TOP song applies so well to that whole transition, but I won't bother you with that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and the graphic! I applaud you! Whenever I try making graphics I can never find a good font and that messes everything up. But this was great! Bravo! Is it going to become a regular thing? Can you teach me your secrets?

      Delete
    2. Haha, I apologize for catching you off-guard and possibly messing up your internal calendar! (That doesn't mean I won't do it again. I will probably do it again next month, too, just because that's how the schedule works.) It really is horrible when one thinks it's the weekend, and then it's...not.

      I'm so glad it was relatable! You do live in a big state, so I imagine a lot of it applies! (And honestly, if I'd picked the school I got into in-state, which is alllllll the way on the other side of the state, probably some of it would still have applied. But anyway. Tangent.) I guess I am just naturally a slightly more adventurous person? It never occured to me to set a limit on how far I went...I even considered schools in England! (But I didn't apply to any.) But Legolas is a lot like you in that regard, I think, so I get it.

      You can bother me with songs any time, Chloe! XD

      Ah, thank you! I think it is going to become a regular thing, and I can definitely teach you my secrets, the main one being Canva. I already had used Canva for livestreaming Mass, and so I knew that it theoretically worked, so then I wasn't scared to try to use it for graphics. It worked nicely. :)

      Delete
  5. Suppressing rage and sorrow on a weekly basis at stupid viewpoints she didn't realize people actually believed sums up a big part of my college experience XD I mean, I think it was good for me to get out there and realize these beliefs were real and--to a certain extend--come to a better understanding of why some people hold these beliefs, but it's REALLY SAD AND FRUSTRATING.
    I went to college in-state, but I still ran into the people-being-far-away problem. I would actually make a friend and then they would graduate and move back across the country to wherever they were from and it was...kind of sad. But such is college, I guess?
    (Also, your graphic is very cool and I enthusiastically applaud it :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, that was weird. I somehow posted that as "Unknown", but it's me

      Delete
    2. Ah, hello Elizabeth! :)

      I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one that happens to. It's really is so frustrating, because GUYS there is so much more than the viewpoint you hold! Other people have better ones! XD I do think it is good for me to know people who have those viewpoints, buuuut still irritating.

      I suppose that is how college is...and I guess I can't exactly throw stones, because I am the one who is living far away most of the time? Because I chose to come to a college so far away from home, and I am technically the one leaving my friends? XD

      (Thank you!)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!