Remember, O Thou Man: The Lenten Nature of Food Allergies


The Grim Writer, who is happily back from her hiatus, had the great idea of having some Lent in the blogosphere! And it just turned out that I was going to post on Wednesday this week, which makes it Ash Wednesday, and it's perfect! Happy Ash Wednesday! Remember you are dust, and to dust you shall return!

If you'd like to join in with this whole shebang, you can find Grim's original post here

(I am too cheerful today! I love Lent!)

Anywho.

What I'm going to talk about today is something that I don't know if I've ever mentioned on the blog...my food allergies. I know that doesn't sound especially Lenten, but bear with me.

I've been diagnosed with food allergies since I was 1 year old, and I broke out in hives when my mom kissed me on the cheek after eating a peanut butter sandwich. My allergies have fluctuated a bit over the years, but at the moment, I'm allergic to eggs, peanuts, legumes (most beans, chickpeas, lentils), soy/tofu, and tuna. 

Of those allergies, eggs, peanuts, chickpeas, and tofu (haven't experimented with other types of soy) are severely anaphylactic, meaning that if I get even a little bit of that food, my throat will start to close up, and I won't be able to breathe. Depending on the food, I may also have stomach pain, swell up like a balloon, or get hives all over my body. If I catch it early enough, I can usually stop the reaction with a benadryl, but I do carry two epi-pens. Just in case. 

As you might be able to tell, it's a life-threatening condition.

I've had four allergic reactions since getting to college.

One was because I trusted that the allergy meals I was getting were really allergen-free (they weren't).
One was because I trusted that the labels on the main food line were accurate, and ignored the tingling of my mouth that told me otherwise.
One was because I was trying to prove someone wrong--they said the allergen wasn't in their mom's version of the food. I ate it. It was, in fact, in the cafeteria's version of the food. 
One was because I thought a food I'd eaten before would be fine if I ate it again, even though it wasn't technically safe.

"Samantha", you may be thinking, "how exactly does this tie in with Lent?"

Well, four of the big things associated with Lent are fasting, sin & repentance, humility, and memento mori, remembering our own death. And allergies help me with all of those things. Lemme show you how...


Fasting

One of the things that I learned at a young age--one that I don't ever remember not knowing--is that sometimes, I can't eat food. Sometimes I can't eat food that I really want to eat. Sometimes I can't eat any food at an event at all. I know that sounds basic, but it's not a message that every kid gets. 

And I really think that has stood me in good stead, because even though that's motivated by the fact that sometimes, if I ate the thing, I might die, it still trained me to have self-control around food. I can't just grab a cookie from the table while Mom's not looking, I can't just get a donut from Sunday School, and so on. Dessert is negotiable, because I can't usually eat it, so, a lot of the time I just don't eat it (or at least, not with everyone else). And that's useful to me now, because...just because something looks delicious doesn't mean that I necessarily should eat it, even if I can. And that's a lesson that took some time to develop, as well, but the seeds were sown by allergies.

It's also, more or less, a constant penance for the foods that I remember liking. Even if I could eat eggs or peanuts (my longest-running allergies), I would probably find them gross, just because I have a trained aversion. But chickpeas? I LOVED chickpeas. Falafel, hummus, just plain from the can...give me all the chickpeas. And so, the fact that I can't eat them now...it's harder than for the other foods, and that really is a penance that I can carry everywhere, a penance that I can offer up, if I remember to do so. 

So, those two considerations have really helped me with fasting. I can't always eat food, even when I want it--that's the basis of fasting, if you think about it. So, I've had lots of practice. (Not to say it's not still hard. It's just easier than it would've been, I think.)


The Wages of Sin is Death

I don't know if you noticed, but one of the allergic reactions I talked about was a direct result of pride, and another one was of gluttony (the food was good, even if my mouth was tingling...and that has happened to me far more times than it should've). 

For me, for many sins that are related to food, death isn't just a distant consequence of sin--yeah, sure, original sin, you'll die, whatever--but death is the direct consequence. You wanted to show off that you were right by eating something you're allergic to? Here's some potential death. You were indulging in gluttony? Here's some potential death. As Romans 6:23 says, "the wages of sin is death", quite literally in this case. 

It's kind of like the difference between telling a little kid "if you punch mommy, she'll give you a time-out", and telling a little kid "if you touch the stove, it'll burn you". Everyone else is the first little kid--wages of sin is death, yeah, sure--and I'm the second little kid. I get burned. It might seem unfair...but in some ways, I need that in order to grow in virtue, because I am a stubborn, stubborn person. XD 


Humility

Speaking of virtue...let's talk about humility for a minute. 

If I had my druthers, I'd not depend on anyone at all. That's just my natural inclination, and the lesson that I really do need to depend on people is one that I need to learn over...and over, and over, and over. 

Even beyond my allergies' consequences for some of my prideful actions, it forces me to grow in humility by depending on people. I almost always have to ask for help with food things, unless I'm at home. I have to bother people with "what's in this?", or, "can I look at the package?" and I have to talk to strangers a lot, and sometimes I have to ask people not to eat things near me. And it drives me insane. I'd much rather not discommode people, I'd rather not talk to people, I'd rather not need help from strangers. There have been times where I'd've gone hungry rather than ask for help, except that sometimes a good friend (Frodo) forced helped me go talk to the food people.

But it's been good. If I didn't have to do any of those things, I'd never have learned to do any of those things, and then if I needed to...I just wouldn't. Even though I do need to, sometimes I just don't, and then I go hungry, and it's not a good situation. 

I have to be humble and ask for help, and be ok with being *that person* who needs extra help, when everyone else wishes they could just get their food, or *that person* who brought their own food and looks a little rude, or *that person* who can't eat anything at all and makes everyone uncomfortable, and that helps me remember, "oh yeah, I'm not actually self-sufficient". And also, I'm really a very small, insignificant person, in the grand scheme of things. I'm not perfect, I'm not awesome, I'm just one of God's creatures, and a weak one at that.

Another thing that's (potentially) incredibly humbling--recently, I realized that, should I ever marry someone, they'd have to give up peanuts entirely, and eggs as well, to a certain extent. (They could eat eggs still, just not kiss me afterwards. XD) So, that man would have to be willing to give up foods--permanently--in order to marry me. I'm not sure if I can express why that's humbling besides that it's incredibly self-sacrificial, but it really is humbling.


Memento Mori

Lastly, people know that death is near and coming for all of us. But they try to forget about it, I think, even the Christians. It could come any day, to any one of us, and no one wants to think about that. 

But I...sometimes have to. Every single day, every single meal, every time I put food in my mouth, is a reminder that I could die. Do I think about this every time? Not by a long shot. But I certainly think that I think about it more than most people. (Especially at breakfast, where there's a possibility of egg contamination in almost everything. Good morning--I might die. *slightly too bright smile*) 

Especially since all of my allergic reactions, I remember that something that most people don't think twice about--eating--could kill me, and it's possible that no one could do anything to stop it. Not everyone is trained on how to use epi-pens. Not everyone would know what to do if I passed out, and 911 could be too slow. (Hm. This is a good reminder that I need to remind some of my friends how to use my epi-pens.)

Who knows. A friend of mine joked the other day that we should get a picture together before I died from something I ate. (Which, we really should...XD) (I joked right back "Do you have some devious plot I should know about?" I'd be easier to poison that anyone else I know, too, so that's a fun thing. There was no devious plot.)

It's just a constant fact of life. I hope I don't die from it--that would be most unpleasant, and with very little time for Last Rites--but it's a constant possibility.

In sum...I don't need a skull on my desk to remember death.


So, do you want allergies now? 


Just kidding. It's not something I'd wish on my worst enemy...but I'm pretty sure it's something that God has given me for my sanctification, and I'm grateful to Him for it.


Happy Lent!


Do you have food allergies? Any food that you especially love that I can't eat? XD Are you doing anything special for Lent this year?

Comments

  1. I sympathize greatly because I started developing a shellfish allergy when I was 11. It started with shrimp and then clams got added, and now I can't risk eating any of it. I don't get anaphylactic reactions, but t get horrendous stomach pain and bloating and if it's severe enough, I get sick to my stomach.
    And I looooved seafood. Really loved it. I usually mourn my seafood around Lent because this allergy really limits my abstinence meals.
    (And I'm praying that dairy doesn't go the same way as the shellfish did. I've had issues with milk since I was a kid, but lately other dairy products have been causing similar issues...)

    This Lent, I'm doing my "medieval style" abstinence on the two required fast days, plus extra exercise, paying off debts and a femininity read-a-thon, (which I should have posted about this week, but school got in the way)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's really sad! Seafood is so delicious, and it's so much worse when you already love a food and then can't eat it... and not being able to eat seafood at Lent certainly makes abstinence harder! I also hope you don't lose your ability to eat dairy...oof.

      Cool! I'd love to hear more about your femininity read-a-thon...

      Delete
  2. Ahhh Sam I really love this post. :) Fantastic start to the penance party, haha. A blessed Lent to you, for starts! I have food intolerances...dairy...but I can still eat the stuff, it's just not comfortable. However, I can sympathize in a certain way because my mother has the same severe allergy to peanuts you have and so I've never been able to get near them for fear of cross contamination with her. So I do know what it's like, occasionally, to be that one kid who's not eating. XD Anyway. It's incredible how these little details of our bodies provide for the deficiencies in our souls, isn't it? I've actually got a sort of similar thing to that, although not with not eating...with eating. Ya see, I got really, really good at fasting last year, by the grace of God--I could go a day without consuming anything but a few cups of coffee and I'd be fine. But then I got really really sick with something, and along with that, lost like...*thinks* 20+ pounds? (forget the Freshman 15, I've got the Freshman -23. :P) And I wasn't too substantial to begin with; that left me in the 5th (out of a 100) percentile for weight--so kinda dangerously underweight in otherwords. and for the life of me I can't seem to gain the weight back. Soooo...long story long...I can't do any non-obligatory fasting any more. It's definitely a humbling situation to be the only person who's eating regularly during Lent or the Ember days. And like you said, it's a really good reminder of how small I really am. So I can sorta relate in a round-a-bout way, as aforesaid. :) either way, this post was great. God bless you Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Grim!

      Oof, intolerances are honestly the worst, too! I don't have any, but I have family who do, and it's almost worse to have something that you can't alleviate with benadryl as long as the reaction isn't life-threatening, lol! If I have a mild reaction, I can just take a benadryl and be fine after 45 minutes or so (and then I fall asleep HARD b/c benadryl takes me out), but they have stomach pain for hours and hours!

      I hadn't even thought about how my theoretical potential children would be affected by my food allergies! Oof. So, you do somewhat understand! :)

      It definitely shows how our bodies and souls really are connected, and God uses that for His purposes!

      Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that you were sick like that! Wow, -23 pounds sounds like a LOT...oy. I hope that you can get that weight back quickly. I can definitely imagine that not being able to fast as usual would be incredibly humbling...I can only imagine how much I would internally revolt if I couldn't fast!

      God bless you, too, Grim!

      Delete
  3. Desserts: Just go to Granita! (Who is allergic to fruit, sugar, and/or water? Practically nobody, because they'd die without water.)

    Hm, well, peanut butter is useful, but I mainly use peanuts to give to the crows and blue jays. Titmice also apparently love peanuts, which is fun. (It's especially comical when they hold a whole unshelled peanut in their beak. :) )

    And, anyway, I never make eggs. Or beans, really. And tofu (And also soy) is not for me. (Speaking of soy, some of the chicken tenders and such that you find frozen at the supermarket is(are) actually made mostly up of soy, if I'm not mistaken. Which is disgusting, cheating, and makes me mad.)

    Faramir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, SOME people are allergic to fruit...but it's true, granita is a good dessert for me (except during Lent, of course!)

      I wouldn't complain if everyone just fed their peanuts to the birds! It would save me a whole lot of worry. XD (Titmice eating peanuts does sound funny, though!)

      Well, I'm still not going to trade allergies with you, even if it might work for you...I'd much rather have food allergies than environmental allergies. ;)

      Delete
    2. True, it might be easier for you to be at risk of death all the time than to become a human hose. (Plus, you can have pets! Which, actually, I'm quite fine with not having any. I have enough to worry about myself, let alone an animal that depends on me.)

      Faramir

      Delete
    3. Although I do suppose the birds are pets, in a fashion...

      (They have plenty of peanuts, don't worry)

      Faramir

      Delete
    4. I definitely think it's easier--and I quite enjoy having pets (when at home), so I wouldn't give that up. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, this is something I've never thought about. You have such a grace-filled attitude about your struggle with allergies! I am not allergic to anything (sorry, haha), so I honestly have never really considered very much what it would be like, especially from a spiritual perspective.

    I know I definitely struggle with not eating things due to self control. It's very true though -even things that are good in themselves (i.e eating something yummy) are not always "the better thing". And I think that's a really healthy way to think about penance.

    I'll keep this post in mind when I complain about my pretty reasonable Lenten fasting/abstinence plans. A Blessed Ash Wednesday to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! The grace is all God...and it's definitely taken me a while to get to this attitude! But I'm really glad I could make you think about something you hadn't thought about before!

      Even with the practice from allergies, I still sometimes have trouble about not eating things due to self-control...so I can't imagine what I would be like if I didn't have all the practice, lol!

      A blessed belated Ash Wednesday, and a very penitential Lent to you, too, S. M.!

      Delete
  5. Saaaaam this is so beautiful. I've gotta walk out the door in a few minutes, so I can't adequately express my admiration (for this post AND for you) at proper length. But wow. This is SUCH a grace-filled attitude, as S.M. said above.

    Happy Lent, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Megan!! I'm so glad you enjoyed the post, and really, you are too kind. :)

      Delete
  6. This post is so thoughtful and insightful. I love that you're able to take something that's hard and see how God uses it to help you grow as a person <3 The part about humility was particularly impactful to me. I don't have food allergies, but there are other areas of my life where I need to ask for help sometimes or inconvenience someone and I hate it, but it forces me to realize how much pride I have and how much I'm in need of humbling.
    Okay, but the part about having an allergic reaction because you were trying to prove someone wrong by eating something made me laugh XD
    My little sister semi-recently found out she is allergic to carrots, but she still wants to eat them. She keeps saying things like, "Maybe I'm not REALLY allergic," while slyly reaching for a carrot, and someone has to slap her hand away and tell her "DON'T EAT THE CARROT, OKAY?" [This story sort of makes it sound like she's five, but she actually an adult--just very stubborn XD]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Elizabeth! It's taken me a long time to get to that perspective. I know, it's always a revelatory experience when one needs to ask for help and realizes exactly how much one doesn't *want* to ask for help...oops.

      It makes me laugh, too, in retrospect, but it has caused widespread horror among my family AND the person who I was trying to prove wrong. XD (Poor guy. He feels horrible.)

      Oh man, that's funny! Good luck trying to keep her alive with such horrible self-preservation instincts... (not that I'm one to talk, of course. XD)

      Delete
  7. Oh wow!! What a great post, Samantha! Thank you so much for being so open; even that takes humility to post here on the blogosphere. I definitely do not think about "Memento Mori" enough. That is really a hidden blessing to have it before your eyes in a tangible way practically every day. Thank you for this reminder. I don't have food allergies (except a small intolerance to black beans...) but I know plenty of people who have them. I certainly don't consider it an inconvenience so please don't worry yourself too much! *hugs*

    I'm so excited about this penance party!! XD I'm definitely going to check it out!!

    Have a happy and holy Lent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Sarah! And you're very welcome, both for being open, and for the reminder...it seems like people really appreciated the post, so I'm grateful that God put it in my mind to write it.
      I'm glad to hear you don't consider it an inconvenience! I have heard that from many people in my life, but I need to keep hearing it, because it always *feels* like an inconvenience...

      Yes, you should totally join in! It seems like it is/will be a fun time!

      You as well! God bless!

      Delete
  8. Dang. That's quite a lot to deal with every day. Glad that you've been okay so far though despite them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like that to everyone, but I'm used to it, so it really doesn't feel that onerous. :) Thank you! I'm glad of that, too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!