Review: Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave

Time for another review! Today's post may be a tad terser than usual, only because I have a ludicrous midterm (you try memorizing site plans, names, places, dates, dynasties, and pertinent cultural and architectural details for 30 Islamic sites) that I'm trying to prepare for as I write it, in the same week as I had an approximately 1800 word midterm, am preparing for my first meeting for my new part-time job, am prepping to go home for spring break, and am trying to narrow down a research paper topic so I can find topical maps & other fun things in city archives while I'm home (hazards of trying to do a research paper on an area that's about 2000 miles away from your college's location). But you probably don't want to hear about my insane week...you want to hear about the book! 


London, 1939. The day war is declared, Mary North leaves finishing school unfinished, goes straight to the War Office, and signs up. Tom Shaw decides to ignore the war—until he learns his roommate Alistair Heath has unexpectedly enlisted. Then the conflict can no longer be avoided. Young, bright, and brave, Mary is certain she’d be a marvelous spy. When she is—bewilderingly—made a teacher, she finds herself defying prejudice to protect the children her country would rather forget. Tom, meanwhile, finds that he will do anything for Mary.

And when Mary and Alistair meet, it is love, as well as war, that will test them in ways they could not have imagined, entangling three lives in violence and passion, friendship, and deception, inexorably shaping their hopes and dreams. The three are drawn into a tragic love triangle and—as war escalates and bombs begin falling—further into a grim world of survival and desperation.

Set in London during the years of 1939–1942, when citizens had slim hope of survival, much less victory; and on the strategic island of Malta, which was daily devastated by the Axis barrage, Everyone Brave is Forgiven features little-known history and a perfect wartime love story inspired by the real-life love letters between Chris Cleave’s grandparents. This dazzling novel dares us to understand that, against the great theater of world events, it is the intimate losses, the small battles, the daily human triumphs that change us most.


Worldbuilding/Writing Style
As y'all may know, I'm a sucker for books set during WWII, which is why I picked this book up in the first place. As I recall, it was in a list by Modern Mrs Darcy of (I believe) excellent WWII historical fiction novels, and I needed no further recommendation than her review, which included the words "four warm wisecracking friends", to pick it up. (As we'll see later, that descriptor may not have been entirely accurate, but I digress.) 

In any case, the worldbuilding and descriptions of WWII England (and Malta) were, as far as I could tell, not having visited either of those places, spot on. The descriptions of what London was like during the Blitz were extremely vivid.

I also really enjoyed his writing style. It was engaging and amusing, with a slightly wry twist to its humor/view, and a straightforward way of looking at humans. It's hard to explain, but let's just say that from the first chapter, I was captivated by his way of writing. (When the first two lines are: "War was declared at eleven-fifteen and Mary North signed up at noon. She did it at lunch, before telegrams came, in case her mother said no," it's pretty hard not to be captivated.) His use of symbolism is also absolutely spot on.


Plot
The plot was one of the weaker points of the book, I thought. The pacing was very off, with not a lot happening in, oh, the first half or so of the book, and then so much happening in the last half. It seemed like a lot of what happened in the first half of the book was fairly pointless, and most of the realization, growth, in a word the actual plot happened in the second half of the book. (Also, it seems like the first third builds to something that's literally given away in the blurb. That feels awfully pointless.) That could just be my perception, though, and it could stem from my irritation with the romance, which I'll get to in a minute. It overall did have the feel of a life told as a book...because lives do have that sort of unevenness to them. Also, one thing I did not love was that a lot of the second half was excessively dark, with addition, death, starvation, destruction of art, and so on. It felt like a bit too much.


Characters
The four main characters of the book, Mary, Tom, Hilda, and Alastair, all interested me and endeared themselves to me. Tom perhaps least, but I digress. All of them had a reality which was refreshing and impressive. 

Mary I loved for her determination to do the right thing, and her lack of investment in What Other People Think. She's a dear, well-intentioned thing, and it hurts when the world doesn't want to accept the things that she wants to give it. She's also still so young, (says the barely-even-an-adult) and gets into scrapes that are incredibly relatable.  

Hilda is a perfect best friend and foil for Mary, restraining her crazier side, while having a bit of a wild side herself. She's flawed--she can't resist a man in a uniform, and has trouble resisting a man, period--but a genuinely good person. Her and Mary's interactions were some of my favorites in the book.

Tom...what to say about him. He's a shy-er and more retiring person, who has an "essential job" as a school superintendent in London...where there are pretty much no children. He wants to sign up so that Mary will know that he's not a coward, but he can't, and it's breaking him.

Alastair has signed up, and is in the air force, I believe? If I were Miss Megan, he would be one of my Sons. He's seen really horrible things, and he's not sure if he'll ever be able to be normal or resume normal society ever again. He's best friend with Tom, but somehow finds himself falling in love with Mary, who is going steady with Tom. (This is not a spoiler, as it's basically given away in the blurb.) He's also a Lover of Beauty and Restorer of Art, even in the middle of a war.

I also am a major fan of Zachary, who needs all of the love and protection, and I'm very happy that Mary gives it to him. I'm less happy with the lack of resolution for him at the end.


Romance
Alright, time for irritation. First of all, there is a bedroom scene between Tom and Mary. It's not super graphic, but I did skip most of it and was extremely irritated by the rest. For the rest of their relationship, it's implied that they're sleeping together. To quote one of my friends, "for what reason??" Was that even something that was done during that time? It's just a horrible idea!

Second of all, there's a tiny bit of a love triangle between Tom, Mary, and Alastair...which is then solved in a way that requires no character growth, no hard decisions, nothing. It comes off as a deus ex machina cop-out on the part of the author. And I don't live the dynamic between Tom and Mary while he's still alive, either. It's just...weird. 

And then there's not even proper romantic resolution at the end! Bad all around!


Content
Oh yeah, here we go. So, there was the aforesaid bedroom scene and innuendo, pretty graphic violence (Alastair is at war, after all), some swearing, and also unnecessary and possibly excessive use of the n-word to describe black Londoners. In general, each use is disapproved by one of the characters, but I'm pretty sure that was completely unneeded on the author's part. Also, death and opioid addiction.


Overall Rating
I was on the fence about this book, since I did like the writing style and the characters, but I'm not as much a fan of the plot or the romance (in fact, I hated the romance), and the content. I think I'll give it 2.5 stars, especially since certain parts of the romance really rubbed me the wrong way. I think it's a good book, just not necessarily for me at this point. 


What's your favorite era to read historical fiction about? Favorite WWII historical fiction novel? Have you ever been to Europe?

Comments

  1. Ack, no with the romance. Boooooo. I've recently encountered several fictional romantic relationships I actually really like, but this is reminding me why I general grump about the romance. "For what reason??" indeed. I'm not a historian or anything, and I know that people have been living in all kinds of sinful ways for all of time, but--from my laymen's perspective--while I'm sure people were sleeping together before marriage in that time...I don't think it would have been totally normal and socially acceptable (again, I could be totally wrong, but that's the impression I get). And that's something that bugs me when I read/watch historical stories written in modern times--when they superimpose modern societal values (or, er, lack thereof) onto a historical setting.
    Okay, but when they spoil something that happens a third of the way through the book on the coverflap XD I always wonder if authors read the cover flaps and despair at how much of their carefully crafted plot is flippantly divulged in a few sentences. (This is why I sometimes love to read a book without even reading the coverflap, usually when someone has recommended it to me so I know I want to read it [side not: I found the Night Circus at a book sale and it was missing its cover flap. I bought it based solely on a) the title, b) the first few sentences, and c) the black and white stripes on the inside of the cover were so AESTHETICALLY PLEASING. It turned out to be a fantastic book to read having zero idea what I was getting into])
    I don't even remember what I was saying before that parenthetical
    I too am a sucker for WWII historical fiction. I think my favorite probably has to be the Book Thief (for the WRITING, the writing ALONE). But also Code Name Verity. And the Enigma Game. Oh, there are too many. What's your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like for every one good romance, there are three to five bad ones. Argh. I don't usually grump about romance, but when I do...things like this are why. Yeah, I don't think sleeping together before marriage would've been the expected thing back then, so it should've been a bigger deal for the characters in the book if they did do it, which...I completely agree with your irritation with the superimposition of modern lack of values on history, because IT WASN'T LIKE THAT. And the lack of research/awareness that the mores around that have changed is both irritating and sad.

      I know! It makes me wonder who WRITES the cover flaps, and why one earth they'd do something like that. Do they do that to books they dislike, just to ruin it for the reader? XD (Ohhhh the Night Circus! Oh my WORD that would be a GREAT one to go into blind. I'm a little jealous that you got to do that.)

      Oh my word, the Book Thief! I haven't read that one in too long. There really are too many! I LOVE Code Name Verity, obviously, but there are others that I love that I might say are my favorite, I just can't THINK of them right now, and it's driving me a little insane. XD

      Delete
  2. HA. THIS. BOOK.

    I am so happy you read it and reviewed it for us, because I actually stumbled upon it at the school library sometime last semester? And was really intrigued and hooked (that first sentence!!)? But I must've been booked with schoolwork or something. (...I mean, that was my 19-credit-hour semester and it was probably finals week, so yeah putting the book back on the shelf was probably a Good Idea.)

    Anyway. This looks like something I would like, overall. If only for Alastair. (You know me well. XD) But I'm no longer in any hurry to read it because Content, my Dear Sir. WHY. (But also, I'm used to having to skip scenes like that because English literature is a frustrating major. *sob*) (...As far as historical accuracy goes...don't society's morals always go off the rails during wartime? I've read about Paris being a really abandoned place during WWI, and the "we-might-never-get-married,-so-let's-not-wait" issue is addressed at some length in Jill Patton Walsh's WWII Wimsey sequel A Presumption of Death. So, like...maybe it's accurate? But mere ACCURACY, my good bean, is not in itself justification for putting such a thing in your historical fiction. If you're writing literature, you should be making very careful decisions about how to craft the lives of your characters, and actions should have purpose/consequences/illustrative value at the very least. NOT TO MENTION WE CAN BE CLASSY ABOUT SIN IF SIN WE MUST HAVE. *humphs*)

    Anyway thanks for the excellent review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word, that's funny! I'm so glad this review was useful to you, then! It's definitely an intriguing and easily hooking book, but choosing to put it down due to a 19 credit-hour finals week was definitely a wise decision. XD

      I do think you'd like it overall, and especially Alastair, but it's not something I'd be in a hurry to recommend you read at the moment... WHY is a good question. Seriously. (Oof, English literature must be a frustrating major in that way! I hadn't thought of that. I would get majorly irritated about all the scenes I needed to skip within a couple of semesters, I'm sure. Not sure how you put up with that...) That's true, there is a certain amount of lack of morality during war, just because time is so short, buuut as you say, accuracy is not a justification for such things being in the book! Oy vey, sir author. Let's not. There was no illustrative value, nor consequences, and thus, I think it was quite pointless. And very unclassy.

      You're very welcome!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the job and school! I don't know how you do it. I procrastinate everything for way too long.

    I love wry humour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am a very organized person and a bit of a workaholic, so that's what I attribute my success to. XD (Also, the job will take up very little time until the summer, so there's that.)

      Me too. :)

      Delete
  4. First off, you and Megan's comments above say it all. Bravo!

    Now I'm craving some WWII lit., but thanks to this review, not this one. I have had my fill of love triangles for many months to come. XD Nice review, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Well, if you're craving WWII lit...you've read Code Name Verity, right? If not, definitely read that! Or The Enigma Game! :) (Or just keep reading whatever you're reading and ignore your craving. Also absolutely valid.) If I may ask, what soured you so badly on love triangles? (I totally agree with the sentiment, I'm just curious as to the source...)

      Delete
  5. I did not really like this book either. All the Light We Cannot See was a much better WWII book, but it's been a while since I read it so I can't give it a more detailed review. I also liked Beneath a Scarlet Sky and We Were the Lucky Ones (which were based on true stories).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad to have your opinion backing up mine! :) All The Light We Cannot See is on my list...my dad enjoyed it, I believe, so I'm looking forward to it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!