The Give Thanks For Books Tag

Time for a tag! I've had plenty of philosophical-ish posts so far this month (well, two, but that's 40% of this month's posts), and while I was considering dumping another on y'all (which would make 60%, but who's counting?), I decided to have pity, save that one for April, and do a tag instead! This tag was originally created for Thanksgiving, but I don't know about you but I am thankful for books year-round, so I see no problem with doing it now! (And Christians are called to perpetual thanksgiving so that works out, too.) Anywho, this tag was originally created by Hamlette, and I was tagged by Chloe and Gabby. Thank you both!!

(Oh, and if you're wondering how my crazy week last week went...well, first of all, thank you for wondering, and second of all, it went pretty well! I haven't gotten grades back for either test, but it didn't feel like I bombed them, my first part-time-job meeting went well, and I'm still working on figuring out research for my paper, but that's a bigger thing.)

Praecepta:
1. Thank the person who tagged you. 
2. Fill out the tag.
3. Share the tag graphic in your post.
4. Tag four friends. (might break this rule...)
5. Provide a clean copy of the tag for easy copying.


G -- A book you're Grateful to a friend for recommending
This one is hard, because many of my favorite books have been recommendations from friends! However, one of my favorites that I discovered last year at Miss Megan's recommendation was The Chosen by Chaim Potok. It's the story of two boys in the Jewish community of New York who are being raised in completely different households, and discovering completely different ideas and worlds, but who are still somehow friends. And it's hard to describe, but it's kind of like Gary D. Schmidt for grownups. 


I -- A book that fires your Imagination
This is a hard question for whatever reason. Generally, it's not books that fire my imagination, for writing, at least. The last few projects I've been working on came, respectively, from a writing prompt, a dream, Adoration, looking at my face in the mirror, and a piece of music. But I will say that, as a younger writer, I really looked up to I Am Margaret by Corinna Turner as a book that was (it seemed) effortlessly Catholic in the sense of the characters being Catholic, and their faith informing their actions. I still want to write something like that.


V -- A book with a Vivid setting
The first book that leapt to mind was The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier. Anything that Auxier writes is going to have a vivid everything, but the setting of The Night Gardener, with an old and creepy house on an island next to an old and creepy tree, in the middle of a forest, is one that's described so well that I feel like I can see it.


E -- An Encouraging book
One book that strangely encouraged me at one point in my life is The Bird in the Tree by Elizabeth Goudge. It's a quietly beautiful book about the strength of family and Not Getting What One Wants All The Time. It's has the most wonderful family matriarch, Lucilla, that I've ever read in my entire life. 


T -- A book that Taught you something
I could choose a how-to book, but that's boring. So, one of the many fictional books whose theme impacted me is A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle. Her meditations, in this book, on the harmony of the world, the interconnectivity of humanity, and the fact that loving someone makes them more authentically themselves is something that I think about on a not infrequent basis. (I wish I had a better "this book changed my life!" story for this section, but I do not. Sorry.)


H -- A Happy book
Y'know, this is interesting, because I don't think can be a book that's truly happy without being truly sad, first? Hm. *ponders this truth*. That said, one of my favorite eucatastrophic books (which Gandalf actually suggested, as he's sitting on my lap while I write this, and judging my literary choices) is The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis. Gandalf's point, which is that it's a sad book but also a happy book, is quite solid, as the eucatastrophic moment is one of the best I've ever read, capable of making small children squeal in delight, and even jaded adults grin. 


A -- An Amusing book
I would go straight for Adventures with Waffles by Maria Parr. It's one that my family has been reading since a year or so ago, but I only picked it up this past winter break. It's a middle grade novel about a couple of kids living in Norway (it's translated from Norwegian) and all of the crazy hijinks they get up to. Which doesn't sound amazing when I say it like that, but the characters are extremely vivid, and there are poignant bits scattered throughout. But what I remember most from reading it is the unstoppable laughter occasioned by many of the situations Lena gets herself and Trill into. It's a sweet book. A family book.


N -- A New-to-you book or author you discovered this year
This year...that's a little bit of a tall order, since it's only March! I've not read that many books/authors so far this year. Oh! But I did just finish Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz, which was a new read and a new author for me, and it was absolutely brilliant. It's a book that, kind of like The Thief, you need to go into completely blind, so I can't tell you much about it. But let's just say that Horowitz captures the feel of Holmes's world really perfectly, and the book overall is incredible. 


K -- A fictional character you feel a Kinship with
I feel a kinship with many fictional characters, but one who I've been thinking about my kinship with recently is Mr. Darcy from Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen. Many of his utterances could come from my lips, and his overall approach to life is similar enough to mine that it amuses me greatly. (If I went to a dance in a place I was unfamiliar with, I would absolutely refuse to dance and denigrate a guy who they wanted me to dance with in order to avoid an awkward situation, creating a whole other awkward situation. It would happen.)


S -- A book you want to Share with others
One of the main reasons I have this blog is because I have so many books I want to share with others that I need more others to share them with! And I'm supposed to narrow it down to one? I suppose it doesn't need to be the book that I most want to share with others. But one of the books that I recommend to people most often is The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. What I really want to recommend is The Queen of Attolia, the 2nd book in the series, which is the book that will get one hooked on the series, but one really does need to read the first one first. (And it's not a bad book! It's excellent, in fact. Just not as good as QoA.)


Tagging: Since it's not even close to Thanksgiving anymore, I don't think I'm going to tag anyone directly, but if you'd like this tag, please feel free to steal it!


Clean Copy of Questions:
G -- A book you're Grateful to a friend for recommending
I -- A book that fires your Imagination
V -- A book with a Vivid setting
E -- An Encouraging book
T -- A book that Taught you something
H -- A Happy book
A -- An Amusing book
N -- A New-to-you book or author you discovered this year
K -- A fictional character you feel a Kinship with
S -- A book you want to Share with others


Who's a character whose lines you think you could say? Do you have a favorite series whose second or third book you like better than the first? Have you read any fantabulous new books this year?

Comments

  1. Oooh I really enjoyed this post. Might have to steal the tag off of you sometime, ha. I don't think I've read most of the books involved though? And I must admit to the heinous crime of having seen BBC's Pride and Prejudice miniseries...without actually reading the book. *hides* But Mr. Darcy is a boss, and I definitely relate to him.
    Hmmm, which character could have similar dialogue as me you say? Huh. I tend to have somewhat...*thinks back to the other day at work, where she made commentary about tripping over a cord and 'bludgeoning brains out' on the filing cabinet*...eccentric conversation, I guess? I'm not saying I'm not like other girls, lol, I'm just saying I get a lot of weird looks. XD So for that I will go with...*scratches head*...maybe Fishlegs from the How To Train Your Dragon series. 'Cuz his dialogue tends to be morbid, pessimistic, and unconventional.
    Also, big congrats on the job thing going well! I hope it works out for you! And same for the paper, which sounds rather fascinating, from the few hints I've heard here and there. ;)
    I have sadly not read like any new books at all this year...I plead work. And school. And lack of ability to go a-librarying. :P
    God bless you, Sam dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Grim! You are absolutely welcome to steal the tag. (And also, consider most of the books recommended. :))

      WHAT. You haven't read Pride & Prejudice??? Well, I suppose at least it's the BBC version that you've seen, and not the movie...that's perhaps the most directly accurate book-to-screen translation I've ever seen, so while I think you should read the book, you might be able to survive without it. (But if anyone asks, I did NOT admit that.) Mr. Darcy is the best!

      Haha, I can relate to that sort of eccentric conversation! I get weird looks, too. And there have been some things I've said at college which are going to be running jokes with my friends for years.

      Thank you! I hope it works out, too. I think the paper is going to be fascinating, but we'll see how it goes...and if my teacher thinks so, too.

      Oh no, that's sad! I hope you get some more reading done soon...and get access/ability to get to a library again, too!

      God bless you, too, Grim!

      Delete
  2. I wrote down a couple of these books (the Thief included) on my 'to-read' list, cause they all look really good! I Am Margaret is definitely a novel to aspire to in the way of effortless Catholic integration into a storyline. Jolly fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I've made some recommendations that look good! DEFINITELY read The Thief. ;) Oh, and you've read I Am Margaret? Amazing! I think I've only ever met one other person who'd read that series, so I'm glad that it's not *just* her and me who have read them!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely tag! There are so many books to be thankful for. :) Hm, right now the fictional character that's coming to mind is Dick from The Comic Space Opera, haha. While I'm not really very much like Dick, we share an obsession for music and every time he started talking about the playlists he was making his lines felt very familiar to me... Honestly though I am generally more like Jude (also CSO. That's what I'm reading at the moment, so it's kind of at the forefront of my mind).

    I like the later Harry Potter books better than the first few, and I like most of the later Narnia books better than the first two. I think it's kind of great if a series just improves. It's a bit of a let down if the first book in a series is the best.

    I'm very grateful to have read a number of fantabulous new books this year. Peace Like a River by Lief Enger and Liesl and Po by Lauren Oliver are up there on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! There are many books to be grateful for. Oh man, I need to read CSO so badly! It just never occurs to me to do so...oopsies. That needs to go on my list...so that I can know more accurately who Dick and Jude are!

      I like the later Harry Potter books better, too (I think the last one is my favorite)! It is always nice when a series gets better and better.

      Ooh, both of those are on my reading list (I'm planning on reading Leisl & Po next month) so it's good to hear that they're both fantabulous!

      Delete
  4. You've read Adventures with Waffles?? I've never met anyone else who has read that XD It has been a long time since I read it, but I do recall it being good fun. I mean, it has the word waffles in the title. How could you go wrong?
    As I was saying in a previous comment thread, I love going into a book completely blind, so I think I'll jolly well pick up Moriarty at the library and read it without even reading the cover flap :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have! It's one that my siblings really love, so they convinced me to pick it (and the sequel) up! Very good fun indeed. And one can't really go wrong with a waffle-titled book.
      Oh YES, that's an EXCELLENT idea. You should absolutely do it that way. :)

      Delete
  5. I love this idea for a tag! I might steal it if that's okay.
    The Night Gardener is so good. I'm curious about some of the other ones you mentioned.
    Honestly who doesn't relate to Mr. Darcy on some level XD
    Eucatastrophic is an interesting word.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!