November Wrap-Up

Hello, y'all! Man, November has been a roller coaster, and I want to get off. (Except that means it would be time for final projects, and I'm not ready for break to be over. XD) It's not been an entirely bad roller coaster, just a lot of ups and downs, and it's moved fast! I hope all y'all had a very happy Thanksgiving, and are enjoying some time off, ideally...


So, here's what I did this month! 
-Watched Coco...again
-Freaked out over school and how little time I have to finish everything
-Went to a friend's performance of Urinetown, which is the most satirical and farcical musical I have ever seen in my whole entire life. She did an excellent job, and I went with a bunch of other friends to surprise her, which was incredibly fun. 
-Got my belaying certification, and took friends climbing a couple of times
-Went to several musical performances of various kinds--have I mentioned I love having music major friends? 
-Went to a new book bar/coffee shop in the college town, which was FANTASTIC
-Ice skated with a bunch of Newman people
-Got to drink tea at one of our new priests' newly instituted Teatime (at 3, every day of the week, to help him stay away for 4 pm Confessions. XD) and chat about all kinds of things
-Flew to New York City for Thanksgiving Break (from whence I am writing this post), to visit family who live in Manhattan, and sightsee (NYC is one of the best cities for Landscape Architects), and I am having an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING time and freaking out on the regular about how awesome it is here. (Plus, my three little cousins are an Absolute Joy, especially since I haven't seen them in quite a bit.)
-Got to see HADESTOWN on BROADWAY while in NYC, and I STILL HAVE NOT GOTTEN OVER THIS IT WAS INCREDIBLE (many blog posts upcoming XD). I had JUST become familiar with Hadestown this month when I realized it was on Broadway, and I managed to get a ticket, and ahhhhhh it was such a wonderful coincidence! Praise God, because I enjoyed it IMMENSELY. (Would highly recommend listening to the music if you haven't.)


Fun Quotes:

Me: "Mr. Elliot is a vain fop..."
Kay: "I need to start calling people vain fops more often."

Em: "You can't stare at Samantha while sniffing your chicken!"

*overheard while at the climbing wall*
Belayer: "You need to get your fingers in the crack."
Climber: "That's what she said!"

My genetics prof: "...get wild tigers, and make you study in that room for the genetics test!" 

Shelly: "If all the guys at Newman Hall become priests, there won't be anyone left for us to marry!"

Shelly (describing a movie): "They make test tube babies, instead of making babies by...conventional...methods."

Museum Guide: "Unfortunately, most of his religious works are still in the hands of the Church..."

My seven-year-old cousin: (to my grandmother) "You can't raid my candy bag, because everything in it is poisonous to people over sixty-five."
[Reader, this did not stop her from raiding his candy bag.]


Worth Reading...

...if you're interested in fascinating feminist/minority history

The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict & Victoria Christopher Murray
(I mean feminist in the loosest way possible, for the record.) My grandmother suggested I read this book as prep for the trip, because we ended up going to the library (belonging to J. P. Morgan) referenced in the title. The book is about Belle da Costa Greene, Morgan's long-time librarian, and complier of many of the most impressive items in his collection. The twist: Belle is actually Black, and passing as White in order to have this job. And all of this is a true story. I found it overall fascinating, but I will note that the actual writing is kind of info-dumpy and clunky at times, and there is a bedroom scene that it behooves one to skip. 


...if you want a collection of enigmatic short stories

Moira's Pen by Megan Whalen Turner
Megan Whalen Turner has finally released a collection of short stories to go with her Queen's Thief series...and I can only hope that she has the smarts to stop there. XD (That was dead serious, though. I will very irritated if she adds more books in this series. Seriously bad authorial move. *side-eye at John Flanigan*) BUT this collection was an absolute delight, containing all of the stories which already have existed as back-of-the-books content, with a whole bunch of new ones, that often raise more questions than they answer...as usual. (I loved seeing little tiny Eddis! Just! So perfect!) I would recommend not reading it unless you've read the other QT books, but it could hypothetically be read as a standalone.


...if you're invested in art and what it means to be an artist

My Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
I actually read Asher Lev for the first time last Thanksgiving Break, so this felt kind of full-circle...and it was SO good to read it again. I've spent a lot of time in the past semester thinking about art, Catholic art, and Flannery O'Connor's view of art in particular, and this felt like a fictional version of all of her thoughts on art embodied in Asher, the artist. It grapples with the big problems of what art is, whether it's more important than relationships, whether it must be seen, and so on...and never feels like it comes to a satisfying conclusion. It's beautiful and poignant and thought-provoking, and it comes highly recommended. :)


...if you like existential time travel

A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle
I reread this one over Thanksgiving Break because it's set on Thanksgiving, and November seems the rightest time to reread it. I had forgotten that some of the dialogue can be a little info-dumpy, but really, since the reader is hopping between several sets of characters as Charles Wallace & Gaudior travel through time, it's the best way for the story to be told. Which was interesting, because I hadn't thought of info-dump-y dialogue as ever having a place in storytelling. Anywho. If you're not familiar with STP, it follows Charles Wallace on a journey through time with the unicorn Gaudior in order to attempt to stop nuclear war, and it involves genetics and family lines and brotherly enmity and St. Patrick's rune, and I love it dearly. It may not be everyone's cup of tea--I've definitely talked to people who don't like the fact that Meg is all grown up in it--but I would recommend giving it a try.


(I really haven't read that much this month, so that's what you're going to get. Sorry! I've been insanely busy with school, as ever...)


So, how has your November been? Have you ever thought about places where info dumps might work? Are you ready for December? How was Thanksgiving?

Comments

  1. As much as I love college and I'm so happy that is where I am in my life right now, BREAKS ARE THE BEST. So much so that I can actually have time to write a comment! Hope you continue to enjoy yours!

    They did Urinetown a few years ago here, and I never saw it, but so many people here still talk about it. I am not one for satire, so I don't think I'd like it, but apparently it's a hoot. I noticed you didn't actually give your opinion of if you liked it or not...

    You have a belaying certificate?? There's a climbing wall here that my sister is furious that I've never tried. I keep meaning to...

    Teatime with a priest sounds amazing. XD

    YOU GOT TO SEE HADESTOWN???????? Okay, I still haven't technically finished listening to the second half, because when I realized it was the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice (which I didn't realize it was until halfway or 2/3rds of the way through. Yes, their names are used but I didn't remember their names) I stopped listening. The thing is, when I was little that myth TRAUMATIZED me. I think I will be fine now. But, I mean, I LOVE the music I have heard. I listen to "Wait for me", "Anyway the Wind Blows", and "When the Chips Are Down" all. the. time. Very much looking forward to your blog posts about it!!!

    I, too, now want to call people "vain fop" more often. XD

    Asher. <3

    Am I one of the people you've talked to "who don't like the fact that Meg is all grown up"?

    DON'T apologize for not reading as much, hun! We don't expect that of you! I've basically quit reading altogether since I've been in college, so you making it through three books is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breaks are the best! Especially if it means I get the pleasure of a comment from you! :)

      Urinetown seems popular as a college musical? Probably because if some of the characters aren't especially musically talented, it would be part of the satire. (That didn't happen in the performance I saw, happily.) It is a hoot, but there were also parts which I found slightly uncomfortable, and overall...I don't like satire either. XD

      Yes, I do!! And college climbing walls are so fun! You don't need to know how to climb or belay to go and have fun, so you should totally go!

      It really is.

      I DID! I guess I just assumed you hadn't heard about it, since you've never mentioned it, so I didn't tell you? Yes!! It's ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, and you SHOULD FINISH LISTENING TO IT PLEASE. The ending is just....ahhhhhhhhh so good. (I have a post about the ending coming up, so you should listen to the end. Just saying. ;))

      Haha, it's a good insult!

      Yes, you are indeed one of those people. It's definitely something that used to bother me...in the Anne books, for instance, so I can understand your point of view...however, ASTP is, in my opinion, too good to not read just because Meg is grown up. ;)

      Umm...I actually read a lot more than three, they just weren't ones that I felt strongly enough about to put on the blog, or else they were part of a series, or else...etc. *hides* But I did read less this month than usual, I swear!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had some great highlights this month!! <3 Can't believe November is nearly over! :O That is soooo cool you got to see Hadestown and be in New York for Thanksgiving! I would absolutely love to experience Autumn in New York. <3 Did you get a lot of snow while you were there? I heard there was a lot a week or two ago. I haven't yet listened to Hadestown yet but I want to especially now with your recommendation!
    "The Personal Librarian" sounds really interesting. I read one fiction book about a librarian at the start of World War II once and I really like that theme.
    So glad you had a good Thanksgiving! Ours was very nice as well. Just spent it with our cousins, aunt and uncle, another aunt, and grandma. Also got to go to Mass that morning which was wonderful. <3
    I pray school continues to go well for you and you have a blessed Advent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did! It was a lovely month. But it is absolute crazy that November is almost over! I'm definitely not quite ready for December!
      Autumn in New York was lovely! It didn't snow at all--it was actually quite a bit (20 degrees!) warmer than it had been here in the Midwest when I left, which was a very welcome reprieve. If you do end up listening to Hadestown, let me know what you think!
      Ooh, that sounds cool! Really, anything with a librarian in it and you've got my full attention. XD
      That sounds like a lovely Thanksgiving, and more like the typical one my immediate family usually has! I'm glad you were blessed in that way. :)
      Thank you! A blessed Advent to you, too, Sarah!

      Delete
  3. Okay so
    a) I love your quote sections so much. Have always enjoyed them and continue to look forward to them.
    b) I need to try the Personal Librarian because it sounds really interesting. Also...have I mentioned that I have read no Flannery O Conner? I need to do that too.
    c) SAM YOU SAW HADESTOWN LIVE????? I'VE WANTED TO DO THAT FOR LITERAL YEARS. WHAT. HOW. TELL US ALL ABOUT IT!!!!!
    Yep, that's the whole comment. Tallyho, and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me happy! I enjoy compiling everyone's crazy quotes all month and knowing that people look forward to them makes it all the more fun. ;)
      Ooh YES do read some O'Connor!! Maybe some of her nonfiction first, and then maybe a couple of short stories? At least, that's the order I'd recommend.
      WAIT REALLY? I HAD NO IDEA YOU WERE A HADESTOWN FAN! I was able to get cheap tickets sort of last minute and was SO EXCITED and it was SO AMAZING and I have several posts coming up where I talk about various aspects, and I'm very excited about all of that. :)
      God bless you, too, Grim!

      Delete
    2. Okay, cool. As a semi-expert on the author, I shall take your word for it. Any particular recommends for first reads? If I may inquire. :)
      NO WAY CAUSE SAM I WAS LOOKING THROUGH MY OLD POSTS TODAY AND I LITERALLY FOUND THIS EXCHANGE:
      *Grim rants about how much she loves Hades and Persephone as a ship in the post*
      Sam in the comments section: "I’ve never seen or really listened to Hadestown, but you’re making me kind of want to?? Because I REALLY like mature relationships, too."
      *sniffles* We've come so far. XD
      But in all seriousness, I've also been meaning to write a Hadestown post for forever now. I've got a specific thing in mind--and you may remember my ramble about Orpheus being Adam a while back--I came to that conclusion on my eleventy-first listen through of Hadestown. I just--love it so much. Can't wait to see some posts on it from you. (And maybe finally post about it myself one of these days lol.)

      Delete
    3. I think you might like some of her nonfiction thoughts in Mystery & Manners, and then in terms of fiction, "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" is a good one to start with. :)
      Okay, I DID know you were a Hadestown fan, but I TOTALLY FORGOT because I have the MIND OF A SQUIRREL and now I'm remembering our conversation about Orpheus being Adam (although that wasn't entirely in a Hadestown context?) ANYWAY. We have come so far!
      I would LOVE to see a post on your thoughts about anything Hadestown-related!! And I hope that you enjoy my posts about it, too. We shall see, I suppose!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!