December Wrap-Up

It's really hard to believe that it's almost 2023! I feel like I say that every year, and I'm always used to the year number by the end of the year, but at the beginning of the year...I feel like we're living in the future! But this post isn't about that, obviously. So... this past December!


I spent a good amount of time in December playing a little game I like to call "how many sources can I possibly cite in a paper that is supposed to be 1800-2000 words (and can at least three of them be official Church documents)?" which I find great fun, but my schedule does not, and which also tends to result in papers which are twice the suggested word count (yes, really). 

I actually don't care, though. I had fun. I like writing papers, but I somehow chose a major where I hardly ever get to do so. (Maybe I should go to grad school? Or at least do a senior thesis? XD)

(For those curious minds who might want to know, the paper was meant to be an Urban Planning manifesto on The Ideal City. The sort of paper that requires a ton of parameters around political-economic philosophy, tha' knows.)


Some other things I did in December:
-Sang in a Christmas concert of all of our church choirs
-Had an allergic reaction, and then got really loopy from the benadryl (just about as fun as it sounds...which is not at all)
-Finished multiple final projects juuuuuust in time to get on the plane home (and let me tell you, it was pretty tight)
-Got back in time for our aunt & uncle's annual caroling party (I love singing Christmas carols!)
-Worked on some fun blog posts for next year, including some that Eomer is trying to force me to post earlier than I planned because he's so excited to read them. XD
-Went cross-country skiing for the first time ever! (It's very fun)
-Got to see Frodo and hold her baby (who is adorable!)
-Started a new quilt
-Took several of my family members climbing, because I got my belay certification at the climbing gym at college
-Helped to decorate our church, which looks absolutely beautiful! 
-Worked on Project Monday a bit! I have some New Ideas for the plot, so that's fun. 
-Spent very enjoyable time with family on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, which involved many games, reading of 80s songs like they were poetry, and much hilarity.
-Went to Lessons and Carols and Midnight Mass for the first time! It was all absolutely beautiful, and I was DEFINITELY exhausted on Christmas day. XD
-Got my wisdom teeth out two days after Christmas. I would say "fun times" in a sarcastic way, except that...even though I got three out (and I only had three, so I guess I've lost all my wisdom now), only one was on the bottom, and as of one day post-surgery, I'm actually feeling almost normal. And I have never been to complain about having an ironclad excuse to sit on the couch all day, eat ice cream, and read. For multiple days in a row. The only thing that really stinks about it is not being able to eat Christmas cookies. *shrugs*
There aren't even any embarrassing stories about me while I was sedated. My mom says that I am "boringly undramatic", but that she doesn't mind. Neither do I. XD


Fun Quotes:

Father M: "I am just a massive troll."

Katia: "Me and the Lord...we synergy."

Steve: "I don't need to find new ways to get high, I just need to hang out with Father M more!" [this was not apropos of drugs, but of a physics concept. For the record.]

Lane: "Did you just body-shame that brownie?"

Anonymous: "Something like that was on my exam." *pause* "I didn't tell you that. It's illegal."


(worth noting here: I will be doing my usual annual Good, Better, Best of many of the new books I read this year! I just can't yet, because I left part of my book list in Illinois. *facepalm*. So, look for that in the new year!)

Worth Reading...

...if you need a good devotional

The Reed of God by Caryll Houselander
I read this at the very beginning of Advent, and it's a really good Advent-y book! Houselander is really perspicacious in figuring out how we are to apply the life of Mary to our own lives, without being saccharine, &c. My favorite takeaways included the different shapes our spiritual openness might take, and the necessity of searching for Christ in our spiritual lives.


...if you need a good kick in the pants

Deep Conversion/Deep Prayer by Thomas Dubay, S.M.
Deceptively simple, Dubay's thesis is that conversion, deep prayer, authentic love, and growth in holiness are all intrinsically linked, and all linked to ridding oneself of even venial sin, not allowing oneself to confess the same sins over and over in confession for years, but rooting things out systematically. He acknowledges how difficult this is and gives a system for motivating oneself to get over that. I know that sounds simple, but it really is a transformative book. 

The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry by John Mark Comer
This one is by a Protestant minister, so I don't take it quite as seriously as I do the previous suggestion, but I did find it quite insightful. His main point is that the hustle and bustle and mad rush of modern life, exacerbated by the Internet and social media, is quite effective in making our lives too loud for us to hear God. (This is also something Fr. DD has talked about.) His solution is fourfold: silence, simplicity, slowing, and Sabbath, some of which I already was on my way to figuring out in my own life, and some of which was new to me. I think all of that is super valuable in the modern world! (He did commit the cardinal sin of trying to do textual analysis on The Message, but only once, so I'll let it slide. XD)


...if you're in the mood for satire

Black Mischief by Evelyn Waugh
Waugh has a cutting sense of humor, and it can tend towards the cynical, but it's still absolutely hilarious. As here, where a tiny African kingdom composed of many different factions is afflicted with a new emperor who comes back from Oxford and has a whole bunch of "enlightened" "modern" ideas about how to run his own country. He's assisted in this by one of his jaded Oxford classmates, who finds that the job of civilizing the country--and reigning in the emperor--is a bit more than he had bargained for. Especially when the residents of the country insist on misunderstanding everything! (The scene around the birth control advertisement was my absolute favorite. XD)


...if you want to read more Rumer Godden, as I always do

A Fugue in Time by Rumer Godden
This was really the story of a house, but also the story of the family who lived there. It was Godden's attempt truly at a fugue, I think--the narrative feels exceedingly fugue-like, with the house as the framework, and it was very impressive, if hard to follow at times. I'd say that my only complaint about this book (besides the hard-to-follow-ness) was that it felt slightly too short for the story it was trying to tell. But I really enjoyed it anyway. (And it is rather a Christmas story, if you needed a further recommendation for reading it!)


How was your December? Have you had your wisdom teeth out, and if so, how was it? Now that I've had mine out, tell me alllllll the stories. Have you read any good devotionals lately? Have I convinced you to read Rumer Godden yet?

Comments

  1. You only made me look up one new word. That’s a record low for you! I don’t know where you’re pulling all this vocabulary from…

    My sisters tried to get me to go caroling twice and both times I was like NO. That shows you my holiday spirit. XD (One of them is still upset with me about this. Ooops.)

    Cross-country skiing? Fun?? That was the torture of my childhood! We went. All. The. Time. My mom was trying to get us to have some exercise and fresh air, but I didn’t see the point of it because it just made walking harder. Therefore I always said I disliked skiing, even though it’s a winter sport. My parents were confused because based on my ancestry, they said I should dig it. Then when I was about 10 I finally went downhill skiing for the first. MOST MAGICAL THING EVER. I love it tremendously . I will still go X-C every once in a great while, but the thrill is missing.

    Reading songs like poetry sounds amazing. XD Music is the only form of poetry I like, but when you break it down so the vibe is different, it can be pretty hilarious. XD

    Yow, wisdom teeth. Nice timing. When I got them out I had laughing gas which made me fall asleep instantly, and I only felt them take out one. And then I was very concerned that they had done it wrong (I’m a control freak when sedated, I guess?). While I’m the middle child, I tend to develop the fastest (I’m the tallest! I’m the tallest!), so I got mine out first. When my older sister got hers, the laughing gas made her do just that: she laughed manically almost the whole time. We’ll see in a few years how my younger sister reacts…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I'm now very curious what word it was...and how many per post I usually make you look up! (I'm telling you, it's all the reading I did as a kid! I probably averaged 300-500 books per year, if you included rereads. And a fair number of those were old books/classics. Hence, much vocab.)

      Lol, well, *going* caroling is quite different than just singing carols with friends...and I would highly recommend the *latter* option. ;)

      Okay, but it IS fun, because it's good exercise, and you're warm while out in the snow (always a struggle for me, because I have bad circulation), and the views are beautiful, and it's not scary like downhill would be! I'm not an adrenaline junkie, so I find the tiny downhills we get in X-C to be quite enough for me. :P I kind of think it makes walking easier, also, since you're going farther per step? But that's just me. We have exact opposite tastes in winter, I guess...

      It was absolutely hilarious, but some of them also sounded remarkably profound! Highly recommend as a party game.

      Wow, that's funny! Laughing gas doesn't have that effect on me, but it definitely does relax me...I had laughing gas AND IV sedative, and I woke up a tiny bit for two being pulled, but it was overall a really good experience. That's hilarious that you thought they'd done it wrong when you woke up! XD Oh my goodness, I've never met anyone who actually *laughed* on laughing gas! That's hilarious!

      Delete
  2. Eomer the MischeviousDecember 30, 2022 at 3:41 PM

    If you need new words, try guttapercha or pipsissewa! They're really fun to use as fake swears. "Get out of here, you guttapercha!"

    I can't possibly see how anyone could react well to being told they should like something because it's "in the blood". I have been informed by malicious siblings that I'm destined for thick back hair, and it's not a fun experience XD.

    I do wish Sam had reacted more strongly to having her teeth out :( I guess I'm cursed with rational older sisters. I was hoping for something more like my cousin's friend, who, upon returning to their house from surgery and being greeted by their older sister quoth: "Y'wanna kiss? MMMMwaaAA!"
    Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look, I like being boringly uninteresting while under anesthesia. Sue me.

      Delete
  3. I got my wisdom teeth out two years ago and got infected immediately. NOT a good time hahaha. But the actual surgery itself was the easiest one I've ever had (and there have been a few, haha). Super glad your process was pretty easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, that does sound awful! Hopefully you weren't left with too much trauma... Thank you! Believe me, I'm also very thankful it was easy!

      Delete
  4. Glad you had a good December! Although the wisdom teeth wouldn't have been fun, but glad they've been healing okay by the sounds of it. I actually liked the surgery part for the wisdom surgery for mine too. My immediate first internal reaction from coming out of being unconscious was 'No! I wanna go back!' It was so peaceful just being unconscious lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being unconscious is very peaceful, especially compared with dealing with the complexities of gauze, pain meds, and trying to eat...it was kind of weird, though, how long it took me to be fully awake! I hope you had a good December, too, Elizabeth!

      Delete
  5. I added "The Reed of God" to my TBR list right away! I've only seen a few quotes by Caryll Houslander but they were so beautiful!
    Nope! Never had wisdom teeth in the first place, sadly. Because I could actually use them in my mouth. (I'm missing adult teeth. genetics. *eyeroll*.) Yay for eating icecream but boo for no Christmas cookies! What kinds of Christmas cookies to you make/like?

    Merry Christmas again!! Sorry for so many comments. ;) I'm catching up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It's SUCH a good one--I really hope you like it!
      I have a very similar thing! I only had three wisdom teeth, and I'm missing adult teeth, too. Not fun in terms of still-having-baby-teeth-in-my-mouth, but nice to only have one bottom wisdom tooth.
      We often make cranberry bars, chocolate cut-out cookies, sugar cookies, and gingerbread cookies, although we didn't make as many cookies as usual this year, sadly, possibly because I was so busy with other things...

      Merry Christmas again to you, too! No worries! I did a similar thing a couple of days ago. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!