We Love L. M. Montgomery Week: When Anne Grows Up


Hello! I'm sure almost no one pays any attention to my posting schedule, BUT if you do, you may notice that I am not posting on Friday. Again. *waits for the shock and horror to subside* *glances around to see if anyone is expressing shock and horror* *slinks back into hole*

Just kidding. I mean, not that I'm not posting on a Friday, but I'm doing so for good reason. That reason being that Hamlette is hosting a We Love L. M. Montgomery Week, and I couldn't pass up a chance to participate! 

I've read quite a bit of L. M. M.'s work (the Emily books, The Blue Castle, all of the Anne books, and a couple of her stand-alones), and I love all of it, but today, I'm going to talk about the later books in the Anne of Green Gables series. 

Because, you see, as a child, I did not like Anne of Green Gables. (If there is actual shock and horror at this, I would not be surprised.) Because all of Anne's scrapes and mistakes and crazy adventures seemed...well...just plain embarrassing.

That's right. Second-hand embarrassment (and also, general irritation at how much Anne talked) was what kept me from enjoying Anne of Green Gables, if I remember correctly. However, before you start shedding tears for my benighted childhood (boy, I am embracing the purple prose today, evidently), allow me to assure you that the later Anne books were loved with all my heart, and reread multiple times. (And I did eventually come around to Green Gables.)

It has come to my attention that a lot of people (*cough* Goodreads *cough cough*) don't like the fact that Anne does get married and have a bunch of kids, and those kids then become the main focus of the last few books. Because she needs to be "liberated". And "follow her dreams". And stuff. So, I feel a need to address that, just a little, before we start.

I think what these people--so many of whom are also the ones who ship her with Gilbert HARD--are missing is that marriage and family is Anne's dream. She never voices a wish to travel the world, or to become anything that's incompatible with being a wife and mother. But she does voice a love for Gilbert, that she can't wait to set up a house-of-dreams with him, and that she loves babies. The glimpses that we get of Anne in those books which are more focused on her kids all show an Anne who, having gotten her dream, loves her family and her life. 

Just because the modern world doesn't respect the dream of becoming a wife and mother doesn't mean there's anything tragic about the fact that Anne gets married, starts a family, and the focus shifts to her children. It's what she wanted! 

And it's also something that younger-Sam (and now-Sam, too) loved! So, I'm going to do mini-reviews to explain what I love about each of the non-Anne of Green Gables books in the series! Yes, including the ones with a focus on Anne's children. :) 

Please note: I'm not going to review Rilla of Ingleside, because I only read it once and didn't appreciate it as a kid (but desperately need to reread).
Some blurbs may include mild spoilers for previous book(s). Also, all the blurbs are from Goodreads.


2. Anne of Avonlea
When twelve-year-old Anne Shirley came to Avonlea, she quickly won everyone’s heart. Now, she’s five years older, almost a woman, and about to embark on a new adventure: becoming the teacher in her old Avonlea school. It’s an exciting year as Anne struggles to win over all her students, welcomes two new members to her family, and feels the first stirrings of love.

Reasons I Love It:
-There's that scene with Mr. Harrison and his cow and Anne's cow, and I think it's my favorite (and possibly the most memorable) scene in all of the Anne books. Anne may be older, but she's still just as impetuous--and just as winning--as ever.
-Mr. Harrison and his parrot are in general just so colorful.
-This is the book in which the twins, Dora and Davy, are introduced, and Davy is one of the dearer child characters ever, with scrapes to rival Anne's. ("Why, Anne? I wanna know.")
-Paul Irving and Miss Lavendar and Charlotta the Third are in this one, and they're some of my favorite side characters in the Anne books...especially Charlotta. And Echo Vale!
-Anne is teaching school, and the hijinks thereof are quite amusing, as I recall. 
-The 'romance' in this is sweet and innocent and really more of a hint of romance, rather than something full-grown. I love that LMM doesn't push Anne into that too early, even though she's sixteen...the age at which most YA heroines have full-blown love affairs. 


3. Anne of the Island
New adventures lie ahead as Anne Shirley packs her bags, waves good-bye to childhood, and heads for Redmond College. With her old friend Prissy Grant waiting in the bustling city of Kingsport and her frivolous new friend Philippa Gordon at her side, Anne tucks her memories of rural Avonlea away and discovers life on her own terms, filled with surprises . . . including a marriage proposal from the worst fellow imaginable, the sale of her very first story, and a tragedy that teaches her a painful lesson. But tears turn to laughter when Anne and her friends move into an old cottage and an ornery black cat steals her heart. Little does Anne know that handsome Gilbert Blythe wants to win her heart, too. Suddenly Anne must decide whether she's ready for love.

Reasons I Love It:
-This is the best "college book" I have ever read in my entire life, and for that reason alone, I love it. It somehow depicts the struggles and joys of college friends, life, studies, how fast the time goes, and everything! Of course, some things are a little different, since that was a while ago, but the depiction rings remarkably true. I reread it my first semester of college and loved it all the more. 
-Gog and Magog and the two owners of Patty's Place
-Aunt Jamesina
-Stella and Priscilla and Anne are the ideal friend trio.
-Anne and Gilbert misunderstand each other for much of the book, but not in a way that's irritating in a way that modern misunderstanding plots are, and then the ending is so sweet. (Although LMM makes you wait for it.)
-The depiction of Anne and the girls trying to figure out what it means to have left home, what they want to do with their lives, and what ideals they want to live up to is relatable in the extreme. 


4. Anne of Windy Poplars 
Anne Shirley has left Redmond College behind to begin a new job and a new chapter of her life away from Green Gables. Now she faces a new challenge: the Pringles. They're known as the royal family of Summerside--and they quickly let Anne know she is not the person they had wanted as principal of Summerside High School. But as she settles into the cozy tower room at Windy Poplars, Anne finds she has great allies in the widows Aunt Kate and Aunt Chatty--and in their irrepressible housekeeper, Rebecca Dew. As Anne learns Summerside's strangest secrets, winning the support of the prickly Pringles becomes only the first of her delicious triumphs.

Reasons I Love It:
-It's epistolatory for parts of it, and I have a huge soft spot for epistolatory books. (This is definitely the one I've reread most often.)
-Anne & Gilbert's romance is very settled, and so there's no drama, only planning for the future, and Anne is free to have other adventures. (But how on EARTH did she stand being apart from him so much, with only letters??)
-Aunt Kate, Aunt Chatty, and Rebecca Dew, along with Dusty Miller, make the BEST home base/backdrop for Anne's other adventures.
-The Tomgallon House and Minerva Tomgallon
-Katherine Brooke
-The parts where Anne wanders in the cemetery
-Little Elizabeth
-Little Fellow
-In general, the thing that makes this book for me are all of the colorful side characters, I think. That's a pretty common thing through LMM's writing--the main characters establish who they are by interacting with sometimes exaggerated side characters. 


5. Anne's House of Dreams
Anne's own true love, Gilbert Blythe, is finally a doctor, and in the sunshine of the old orchard, among their dearest friends, they are about to speak their vows. Soon the happy couple will be bound for a new life together and their own dream house, on the misty purple shores of Four Winds Harbor.
A new life means fresh problems to solve, fresh surprises. Anne and Gilbert will make new friends and meet their neighbors: Captain Jim, the lighthouse attendant, with his sad stories of the sea; Miss Cornelia Bryant, the lady who speaks from the heart—and speaks her mind; and the tragically beautiful Leslie Moore, into whose dark life Anne shines a brilliant light.

Reasons I Love It:
-I just generally love stories about marriage and newlyweds. SO CUTE, Y'ALL. And it helps if those newlyweds are Anne & Gilbert.
-Gilbert's new medical practice. I dunno, it just catches my fancy.
-Miss Cornelia
-Leslie Moore, and Anne being an amazing friend, and all of the plot with that, which is SO DRAMATIC and SO GOOD
-Captain Jim and his stories
-The House of Dreams itself
-Susan, the housekeeper (I believe that's her name?) who is hilarious and always calls Anne "Mrs. Doctor, dear"
-The babies' births (which are beautiful each in their own way)
-The whole story just feels peaceful and happy and spring-like, but also adult and settled, in a way that none of the others do, and it's very 'comfy' for me as a reader, if that makes sense.


6. Anne of Ingleside
Anne is the mother of five, with never a dull moment in her lively home. And now, with a new baby on the way and insufferable Aunt Mary Maria visiting—and wearing out her welcome—Anne's life is full to bursting.
Still, Mrs. Doctor can't think of any place she'd rather be than her own beloved Ingleside. Until the day she begins to worry that her adored Gilbert doesn't love her anymore. How could that be? She may be a little older, but she's still the same irrepressible, irreplaceable redhead—the wonderful Anne of Green Gables, all grown up. She's ready to make her cherished husband fall in love with her all over again!

Reasons I Love It:
-I haven't reread this one in quite a while, but I do remember really loving all of the children's adventures, and not minding at all that Anne wasn't very present. I mean, she is there, and she has some memorable lines (I believe the "Lilacs smell like they're not quite chaste" line is from this book, and that quote, plus Susan's absolute horror, always tickle me) but she's not exactly the main character any more.
-Anne having a whole bunch of kids. I always love (and loved, as a kid) books with large families, me being one of five and all. 
-That one part where Nan is totally being scrupulous and gets gently pulled out of it in such a good way. 
-Susan in general
-All of the children's adventures, which are either funny or endearing by turns...especially that one with Walter when Rilla is being born.
-Rilla being born, and Rilla's babyhood.
-The fact that the whole thing is a book about a mom of a bunch of kids, and everything those kids get up to. Books like that are few and far between! 


7. Rainbow Valley
Anne Shirley is grown up, has married her beloved Gilbert, and is the mother of six mischievous children. These boys and girls discover a special place all their own, but they never dream of what will happen when a strange family moves into an old mansion nearby. The Meredith clan is two boys and two girls—and a runaway named Mary Vance. Soon the Merediths join Anne's children in their private hideout, intent on carrying out their plans to save Mary from the orphanage, to help the lonely minister find happiness, and to keep a pet rooster from the soup pot. There's always an adventure brewing in the sun-dappled world of Rainbow Valley.

Reasons I Love It:
-The kids are older yet, and of course get into all sorts of mischief, but also think more about the future and more serious things
-It focuses mostly on the children, of course, but the adults--Anne and Gilbert, and other side adults--do come in, and it's nice to see them, when they do.
-The Meredith children are absolute hooligans, and I love that one scene with the cemetery 
-Mrs. Marshall Elliot and Susan
-The sweet, late-life, quiet romance of two of the side characters
-This was one of the ones I reread most often, but I actually don't remember it all that well, for some reason. I do remember that there were many hijinks, scandalizing of the church because of how wild the minister's children were, lots of visits to Rainbow Valley, and games of pretend. But I don't remember tons of the details of any of those things. 



Have you read any of the later books in the Anne series? What's your favorite L. M. Montgomery book? Were there any books you really hated as a child, but you like now?

Comments

  1. I have no issue with Anne getting marry and having children - it's a different sort of dream as she never had a family so this direction of her life is just right for her.

    Mr. Harrison is fun character. I enjoy his talks with Anne.

    I didn't like Anne of Windy Poplars all that much but probably because of the format.

    Rainbow Valley is a fun read. Such adventures as running around riding pigs. The Meredith children are a lot of fun, doing things they didn't realize was kind of wrong, I guess that's what happens when you have an absent-minded father.

    Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wholeheartedly agree--I'm really happy for her!

      Me, too. He's hilarious!

      I loved the format, but I definitely understand that some people don't like the epistolatory format.

      It really is! I had forgotten about the pigs, but that was a good moment. XD

      You, too, Lissa!

      Delete
  2. Great post, Samantha!! 😀 Your making me want to re-read these books again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katherine! Writing this post made me want to go back and reread all of them again, too!

      Delete
  3. Your post makes me wanting to read the rest of Anne series! I've only Anne of Green Gables so far, and didn't quite like it at that time, more or less for similar reasons to yours. I've just found an audiobook of Anne of Avonlea, maybe it's time to take a journey to Anne's universe again. :)
    My contribution to LMM blog party are of Jane of Lantern Hill https://klasikfanda.blogspot.com/search/label/Jane%20of%20Lantern%20Hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, good! That was the goal. :) I hope that you're able to enjoy Anne of Avonlea! It's a good one.

      Delete
  4. I love the older books best too!!! Seeing Anne as a wife and mother is so sweet and her children are such mini Anne's; it's ADORABLE!!!! Wonderful post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one! It is really fun to see Anne as a wife and mother! Thank you, Grace!

      Delete
  5. Yay!!! I don't care when you post, just that you do! ;) <3

    I've read all of the books through "Anne of Ingleside." I desperately need to finish the series. This was a delightful post to read and it brought back so many good memories. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Sarah! <3

      I don't think I knew that so many people had actually read the whole series! I'm glad it brought back good memories (it definitely did for me). And I hope you enjoy the last two in the series, if and when you elect to read them!

      Delete
  6. I have read all of the Anne books, though it's been SO long since I read the middle ones that I'm really due for a re-read. I was very much enamored with the bookends of this series. I think I read Anne of Green Gables and Rainbow Valley an equal amount of times.

    As a kid, Anne's House of Dreams was hard for me to get through, but I'm almost positive I would like it more now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm due for a reread on a lot of the middle ones, too! I definitely remember reading Rainbow Valley over and over as a kid--I think the only other one I read as many times was Anne of Windy Poplars.

      That does make sense! I feel like that one maybe has the most mature themes/situations in it? Not in a bad way, but I can see a kid either getting bored or just not quite getting it. I'm looking forward to rereading that one, though--I also think I'd like it more now!

      Delete
  7. Meant to add... also COMPLETELY agree with you about Anne's beautiful love for Gilbert and her dreams of being a wife and mother, which don't clash with her personality or childhood dreams at all. It's so sad that these things are seen as somehow "lesser" in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is really sad that people don't recognize the value of those things anymore! I find it especially silly since many of them are definitely proponents of "Annebert" or whatever the ship name is, but they don't...understand what the consequences of that are?

      Delete
  8. Love this--it brings back so many memories of reading the Anne books! I like "Anne of the Island" for the same reason, and it's a good traveling book, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! Glad to bring back good memories! Ooh, yes! I can definitely see how it would be an excellent traveling book!

      Delete
  9. The Anne series is a masterpiece. I'm being serious when I say they are the best books I've ever read. And believe me, I've read a LOT of books.

    Feminism honestly annoys me. I mean, it's okay if people hold to their own opinions and leave others alone. But why must they push it on other people?? There are PLENTY of books about liberated women, they don't need to point fingers at Anne. Because the truth is, I'm sure there are a lot of women out there who dream of love and home and a family. Believe me, I'm one of them. I want to meet someone wonderful (like Gilbert) and be a wife and homemaker and mother and have lots of adorable kiddos. And I'm glad there are women like that portrayed in fiction. Everyone has their place in the world of literature. 🥰

    I really enjoyed this post!! There's nothing I love more than discussing Anne, except for reading Anne or watching Anne 😁 (Sullivan series exclusively)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SO good! (I wouldn't say they're the best books I've ever read (and I've also read a LOT of books) but they are very dear to my heart, and all this "Anne"-ing around the blogosphere is making me hanker for a reread!

      I do agree! I overheard part of a podcast today while I was riding in the car with several other people on the way to an event where the hosts were talking about how people can have this point of view of either "if it's not good for me, it's not good for anyone" or "if this thing is great for me, it must be great for everyone" and neither of those things are true! So, those women who want something outside of a home and a family shouldn't denigrate those whose dream is to be a wife and mother, but also those who want a traditional home + family (which is beautiful!) shouldn't look down on working women! This sounds really easy, but it's actually really hard, in my experience. XD Anyway. I agree that I'm so glad that there are women in fiction who dream of being a wife and mother, because it's really beautiful, and encouraging for many people in this day and age!

      I'm so glad you enjoyed this post, Juliette! Anne is fantastic. (Although I haven't seen the movies yet--someday soon!)

      Delete
  10. The Anne of Green Gables books were never really for me but glad a lot of other people seem to like them. I had a similar reaction to the first one when I first read it. Some aspects I liked, but a lot of it just seemed like a lot. There's some really beautiful quotes in it though L.M. Montgomery is a really good writer. The Blue Castle will probably always be one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's okay! Maybe, like me, you'll find that you like them more as you get older? Tastes change, even as adults. :)
      Montgomery is an awesome writer, though! I love The Blue Castle, too!

      Delete
  11. My husband and son both suffer from second-hand embarrassment, so I get what you're saying. Neither of them like Anne of Green Gables a ton either.

    I love what you say about how having a home and a family ARE Anne's dream. I think that is spot-on. She doesn't give up her dreams in any way, she lives them out. Which makes me really happy. That's probably why I love this series -- because that was my dream too, as a kid! And I am living it out too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just me, then! (I'm also glad that I've grown out of my second-hand embarrassment a tad as I've gotten older...)

      Aww, thanks! I'm really happy that those thoughts of mine are resonating with so many people. That makes sense, too, and is beautiful--so happy you and Anne get to live your dreams. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!