"The Sacred Veil": In Which A Piece of Music Gives Me Many Feels


Happy Easter again, y'all! (The season keeps going! I can tell you Happy Easter until Pentecost. That's after the semester is over...) I have a lot of posts in my drafts that I could share with you, but I decided instead that I wanted, as a 'celebration' of coming back from my unplanned hiatus, to post this post which I wrote last week when I was supposed to be working on homework. It's not *exactly* a cheerful Easter post, but I hope you like it, all the same.

I recently went back to a piece of music I had listened to a couple of times a while ago, to listen to it again. It was a bit of a random choice. I was tired of everything else I'd been listening to recently and thought it would be a good change. 

The piece of music was The Sacred Veil by Eric Whitacre, and I guess I had forgotten exactly what it entailed...I listened to parts of it over and over again all day (which resulted in me being rather emotional by the end of the day...handle with care, I guess). I couldn't get enough, either of the story, or of the music itself.

The Sacred Veil is based on text written by a couple, Charles Anthony Silvestri and Julia Lawrence Silvestri (plus one piece of text written by Eric). Julia passed away from ovarian cancer--but she had left writings, poems, and blog posts behind, some of which are set to music here. Charles is Eric's best friend, and so he obviously knew the two of them well, and the way he sets their text--! 

As you can probably imagine, this ticked several boxes for me:
-Death
-Poetry
-Pathos
-Beautiful music 

I don't know exactly what I'm going to say about it in this post, but since the point of this blog is to share my thoughts especially vis a vis various media (books in particular, but I see no reason why music/poetry should be exempt), and because I had such a strong reaction to it, I thought I'd write a post about it. We'll see where this goes. (I'm emboldened by the fact that Megan also wrote a post about music recently. It must be a Thing, if she did it. ;))

I love all of the movements--they twine together in an extremely satisfying way, with repeated motifs throughout (if you want to read more about this, the composer talks about all that HERE). But there are a few that get to me in a way that I don't know if I can quite explain. (So, I'm going to try. What else is a blog for?)

Before we start, quick PSA: If either of my parents is reading this--don't listen to any of this music. Actually, maybe just stop reading this post right now. Also, if anyone who is reading this blog has experienced the loss or near loss of a spouse--I don't recommend listening.


"In a Dark and Distant Year"

In a dark and distant year,
A wand’rer ancient and austere,
He surrounds himself with books he’s
never read.
He was a child then, the world inside
his head. 
...
He would often wonder, “Who
Could love a dreamer such as you?”
...
Then quite to his surprise,
Passing there before his eyes,
A girl unlikely, gently laughing
by the shore.

I am, obviously, not a man, so there are some parts of this poem that I can't relate to. And yet still, the description that Charles writes of himself in the first paragraph of his poem rings true for me. I am surrounded mostly by books I have read, but also by books I've never read. And I still think I'm a child, with the world inside my head. (In fact, if I'm honest, I myself mostly exist inside my own head.)

And again, if I'm being honest, the question he asks himself rings true for me, too, on occasion. 

That is part of what makes it so poignant. But also, the way it's set to music! It opens with the basses singing fairly deep in their range, something that feels a bit like a chant, or like the soundtrack to a slightly dark fantasy movie. It sounds like something set in a fantasy book--one that has its notes of sadness and depression. Not a kids' book. And then the way the melody fits together...
GAH.
The whole melody captures the beautiful-scared-vulnerable feeling of finding that someone does love you, despite all of the broken parts, and that you love them, too. I don't know how, but it does.


"I'm Afraid"

"I'm Afraid" takes the moment when a doctor comes into the room and says "I'm afraid we've found something" and turns it into a complex musical work.

The women sing "I'm afraid we've found something", and every time they sing 'something', it splits into dissonance. Beneath them, the men sing the words for what the doctor told Charles and Julie. 

This one isn't my favorite because of some emotional connection--it's my favorite for the way it's written, and how effective the women are at conveying the way one's world shatters, while the men convey how it's just another day at the office for the doctor. The drone of "pathology confirms grades I, II, and III mucinous cystic adenocarcinoma..." is something that I never would have thought to hear in music, and yet, it works so well. 


"Delicious Times"
By Thursday [my hair] was making a terrible mess, so the kids helped me shave off whatever was left. 
...
She says, “Mommy, your hair went bye-bye but it’ll be back soon!”
...
Today I visited my oldest at school and he shouted, “Hey everybody! My mom has a wig!” He was the star of the class as all the kindergarten stared, open-mouthed, in wonderment. It’s been a very funny week.

This piece feels like a piece of dialogue or recitative. It's repetitive, swinging, quiet, almost light, but with a sadness and an uncertainty to it, a feeling of improvisation, or of making it up as one goes along. 

It seems like a piece Julie could sing herself--the women almost always (always?) sing in unison, or in consonant intervals (if that's even a thing?), so it almost sounds like one voice--and it truly seems like a setting-of-her-words to music. It's the piece in this whole thing that is, I think, most truly her. (Although I didn't know her, so I can't judge that very well.)

It's one of the movements that gets stuck in my head most often, too. It's hard to believe that death could touch someone with vitality and story like this, but it's part of the point of the whole piece that death touches everyone, no matter what, no matter how much everyone wants them to live.


"One Last Breath"

In a dark and distant year
The wand’rer weary, full of fear,
Confronts a fated force more powerful
than life —
A carriage made of sea
Has come to take his wife.
...
The waves too dark and deep to swim,
He hears his love cry out to him,
Her piercing anguish rising high above
the foam.
...
From the shore he sees his bride
As she fights hard against the tide.
He swears a sacred vow that every
loved one keeps.
He steels himself,
Takes one last breath, and leaps.

This piece makes me shiver a little--the next one really has claim to that distinction. What this one really brings me, though, is a sadness in my sternum.

It's impressive how much music can make one feel.

Bringing back the 'wand'rer' theme from when Charles & Julie were first falling in love is so incredibly effective in reminding the listener of exactly how much both of them a) love each other and b) have to lose. 

Like, the girl who was able to love a dreamer such as him? That is who he stands to lose. 

"A carriage made of sea/Has come to take his wife."

GAH. It reminds me of the Carriage Black in On The Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, and the image of a 'carriage made of sea' is so evocative.

One thing that I've just noticed--in the first stanza, Julie is his 'wife', in the second, his 'love', and in the third, his 'bride'. Each word connotes something different about their relationship, and in combination, the three give me FEELINGS. 

You know what else gives me feelings? "He hears his love cry out to him." AND THE SWELL OF MUSIC RIGHT THERE. Who gave Eric Whitacre permission to break my heart like this? 

((I'm not crying, you're crying.))

(And the music! The music! It starts out in a similar way to "In A Dark And Distant Year", but just slightly dissonant...and then it goes back to the IADADY tune, but not leaving behind that feeling of 'something-is-not-right'...it has more urgency to it, a sense of being swept along.)


"Dear Friends"

Dear friends: tonight I feel that I must ask you to pray.
...
The scan showed that I had numerous liver and peritoneal metastases. My doctor said this meant I most likely had about two months to live. 
...
I am now asking you to pray as you have never prayed before. Please don’t pray that I will have a peaceful death. Please don’t feel pity for me. Just pray hard. Pray that I will be healed in a miraculous, supernatural way. 

This text gives me shivers. Like, all over my body while I'm listening and writing this. And it's not just the words--it's the music that goes with them. 

The first part, where Julie is telling friends about what has happened, is almost monotone, like the weight of the news is still settling on her. The note barely changes, if at all. There's barely any instrumentation underneath, if any. And it's in minor. 

And THEN a violin (or maybe it's a cello?) comes in right before "I am now asking you to pray as you have never prayed before". And the whole thing turns major. Major, but still dissonant. GAH.

And then the chording under "just pray"...and the way the cello fades out...



There's probably more that I could say about all of this, especially that last piece, but I have decided only to let myself listen to this music once in one day (so as to avoid emotional breakdowns, y'know, as one does), and I've already broken that rule for the last three pieces I've mentioned. (As in, I've definitely listened to them at least twice today. *hides*)

(Also, I'm really supposed to be doing homework.)

So! Instead of me rambling on--you listen to these pieces (or the whole thing, no skin off my nose), and tell me what you think! 

Comments

  1. Saaaaaam why did you dooo this to meeee?

    These are some EXTREMELY powerful pieces of music that you've put up here. I listened through the songs you commented on all the way to "Dear Friends", and then had to stop about a minute into it because I was tearing up and my brain was going crazy about how fragile life is and how I'm so lucky to have Mom. (Not that these reactions are necessarily a bad thing, but I was trying to do school at the time and that just wasn't working for me.) I'm very surprised that you've been able to listen to any of them on repeat...how's you're mental health doing, Sam?

    But what I did listen to was very good, and I mean good in its most primal sense. My favorite, I think, was "delicious times". The text there, and the way it's sung...aaaaaaah. I love it and also it's so sad. (If you couldn't tell, I have very mixed feelings about this music.)

    Also, I had "I'm Afraid" stuck in my head during Mass yesterday.

    I think the thing that struck me the most while listening to this music is how REAL the emotions and the people are. I'm so used to experiencing loss through the lens of fiction that the knowledge that the people in the songs are--were--ACTUAL people cut right through me. Do you ever have that kind of experience, where you suddenly realize "right, this isn't a story, this is real"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I did this to meeeeeee and I wanted to do it to other people, too! (I'm sorry?)

      I KNOW! There's just...so much there. And so beautifully written, and it does tend to make one emotional about how fragile life is! (I hope that you were able to continue your schoolwork after that... :|) There was only the one day where I really listened to many of them on repeat, plus the day that I wrote this post...that first day was a little rough, mental-health-wise, but now I'm fine!

      I knoooooow "Delicious Times" is SO GOOD! (That's the one that gets stuck in my head most often.)

      Haha, well...occupational hazard, I guess?

      YES! It is so different because the story here isn't fictional, it's real. And I think that can be a bit jarring for those of us who have only really experienced tragedy through fiction, to know that this isn't just something that the author is writing--real people experienced this emotion. That's kind of what I meant when I said (something along the lines of) it was jarring to know that someone with so much will to live, and so many people who wanted her to live, is dead, died despite of that. Because that's not what would happen in a book, but we live in real life, which is different...

      Delete
  2. As somebody who spends at least 50% of her blog just ranting about music, I approve this music rant and consider it a thoroughly valid and wonderful use of blogging space. :D
    And as somebody who has had first hand experience with whatnot similar to what happens in the music...this gave me a lot of thoughts. I mean, obviously, it was my father that died of cancer, not a spouse, but there's still a lot there I can relate to, even in persona my dad in an odd sort of way. I won't say it made me emotional, 'cuz it didn't, which I was kinda surprised by...but it certainly spurred a good bit of reflection. I think Delicious Times definitely made me think the most. I found a lot of parallels in that. Yes, it's true, my dad losing his hair was one of the hardest things for me to accept, especially as they decided, at the time he lost his hair, to tell us that he wouldn't be recovering...which they sadly knew more or less from the beginning (the type of cancer he had is supposed to be impossible, so even though we lived next to one of the best cancer institutes in the world they pretty much said 'I'm sorry, you're screwed' from the word go). It really impacted me, as a five year old, for some reason, to think that my daddy's lovely dark hair was going to go away forever, and I guess maybe one reason they chose to tell us both at the same time was that the hair was a parallel to him. The hair falls out, bit by bit, and Julie or Matt start to fade, bit by bit, and eventually they go the way of the hair forever.
    And yet somehow, we had so many delicious times even with that knowledge. The bit that touched me most in all the five pieces was 'and they laughed' in Delicious Times...because I remember having a good, childish chuckle over the sight of my dad with an eyepatch, or a gleeful bounce at how cool I thought his carved wooden walking sticks looked. And I had to wonder, while listening to the song, how it is that Julie or Matt managed to laugh along and take joy in the symbols of their demise. It's got to take some major guts to do that. I'm not sure I could in their places.
    and the musicality of Dear Friends...my gosh. Like. The musicality of all the pieces. But for some reason Dear Friends was especially beautiful. That one also hit a chord, lyrically. Gosh, I remember begging on small knees for some outlandish miracle, a few months before he passed away. My younger brother was convinced we could pray him into health, somehow. I was not. I wanted to be. I think I remember thinking that the problem with the prayer was me, that if I just believed hard enough he'd be fixed. But I was a cynic even at 8, I guess, because I never did believe he'd get better (and of course he didn't). I can't imagine what it would be like to be the dying parent in that situation. Would you encourage small notions of hope like that, or hope in such desperate ways yourself? I guess maybe Julie did the latter at least. I'll never know if Matt did. Unfortunately, all his writings, poems, and letters have gone the way of his hair and him. Although unlike the impossibly unswayable stroke of health that did him in, the disappearance of those things was a little more intentional. On the occasion I think about it, I really wish I had those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *shakes self* Yes. Clearly this post made me think a lot. Thank you for sharing Sam. I was reading Legolas' comment above and to that I have two addendums: 1. I find it odd how despite having had firsthand experience with such things being 'real life', as she said, these songs didn't really...make me sad in any way? Just kind of made me think. I guess perhaps it's a little too real for me. It's just a sad sort of..."yep, I know what that's like"...and then moving on with one's life. I once read a line from a musical:
      'It seems when you lose your mom
      No one turns off the sun."
      That be the unfortunate truth. Nobody turns off the sun. Nothing changes, as the Fates from Hadestown would say. Life doesn't care what's happening to you. It goes on. It's a horrible thing to get a firsthand look at, when it comes to the traumatic death of a loved one, a la Julie...but it's also weirdly comforting to get an illustration of that concept. I don't know that Julie or Matt would wish the sun to be turned off for those they left behind. Even if those they left wish it. It feels unfair, thereby, for me to wish it considering he was the one who did all the suffering and left behind all and he didn't wish it. Y'know?
      Either that or I'm just a cynic who doesn't cry at anything.
      Probably the second one lol.
      2. I hope you're doing all right. :) It doesn't seem like the (very limited view, I know) Sam I'm familiar with to take a very melancholy turn, so I just...hope you're doing okay. You are in my prayers.
      Thank you for this lovely post, and I apologize profusely for this rambling and overly detailed comment (in two parts, that's a first for me!!)
      Requiem in Aeternam Julie Silvestri...
      and also, Matthew Grimes.
      :)

      Delete
    2. Ahhh, the queen of music blogging approves! *mild squealing* 😊

      I’m glad to have given you a lot of thoughts…I think? Honestly, I think it makes a certain sort of sense that it didn’t make you emotional, because yeah, like you say…it’s happened to you, and so you’re sort of like ‘yep, okay, that happens to other people too’, and then move on. (Or think more about it, but don’t get emotional.) It makes sense to me, at least—and I think we may be more or less cut from the same cloth where emotions are concerned, at least to some extent…

      It's so interesting how hair is a parallel in cancer treatment/cancer in general/yeah. I had never thought of it like that. It’s a visual indication of what’s going on underneath that would otherwise be invisible—almost a little bit like a sacrament, in a weird way, if that’s not sacrilegious to say… but still really hard, I would imagine. (I’ve never had anyone near me go through that, that I can remember—my grandmother had skin & breast cancer and went through treatment, and there are pictures of me with her from her head-scarf-because-bald phase, but I don’t remember it. She is, incidentally, doing fine now, praise God.)

      Gosh, Grim, I love reading your thoughts on this, but I feel like I really don’t have tons to say, because I don’t have any close experience with any of this—but thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

      It must be SO hard for parents to try to figure out how to navigate something like this with their children. Like. I don’t know what I would do. I have no idea.

      I KNOW. The musicality of Dear Friends is just INSANE. And I didn’t do it justice in my description, but GAH. It’s just, SO. GOOD. Sad. Yeah.

      I had that cynic’s streak at 8ish, too, even if I was never praying for something as big as that. I don’t know that I ever believed that my prayers could work a miracle—I don’t know if I even believe that now. Maybe something for me to take *to* prayer one of these days.

      (Incidentally, I’m really sorry that your dad’s writings, poems, and letters have disappeared—that’s one of those things that makes me inordinately angry on your behalf, for some reason.)

      I think one of the reasons why these pieces struck Legolas so deeply is that we’ve had a *brush* with something like this (as she hinted in her comment) but have never had it strike home in the same way as it did for you. We were thiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to losing someone integral to our lives, but we didn’t know it until afterwards, when that person was on the way to recovery again. And I think that left a bit of a scar for her—and for me, too, as I was the only sibling old enough to really remember. And it’s different from your experience, because we don’t know what would have happened—we only have the fear of what would have happened—and the gratitude that it didn’t. If any of that makes sense.
      Someday, I will understand the “nothing changes/nobody turns off the sun” thing, but I haven’t had that experience yet, so it’s different....

      (But lol, I am also a cynic who doesn’t cry at anything. XD)

      Thank you for your #2! I am truly doing fine—although the first day that I rediscovered this music and listened to it multiple times, I ended up having a very emotional afternoon. But I mostly just think it’s beautiful and wanted to share it, even though it’s sad—not because I’m in a melancholy mood in general. But I do really appreciate your prayers!

      Thank you so much for your comment, Grim! You don’t ever need to apologize for length—at least, not on my blog. 😊

      Requiescant in pace!

      God bless you, Grim!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!