A Meditation on Place

(I started this little musing last year, I believe, on one of my flights back to Illinois, and it's taken me about this long to finish it...but I liked it, and I got back to Illinois again this week, so I decided it was a good time to post it. I hope you like it, too. :))

Love for a place is probably more irrational than love for a person. It's certainly harder to satisfy. A person you can hug, and touch, and sit silently with, or at worst, talk to on the phone, or Skype. But a place, you can only be in. And it's hard when one loves more than one place...especially for more than one reason.

But missing a person and missing a place feel similar--an ache that says that something is missing. And when one loves more than one place, that ache will always be there.

Be careful, then, where you fall in love with. 

Sometimes people love places because the people they love are there, and that's different. But for some reason, I've discovered a capacity to love places Because They Are. I don't know if everyone else has that capacity, but I'm sure most of them do. I just don't hear it talked about often...beyond Chesterton and Pimlico. Incidentally one of my favorite parts of Orthodoxy

I love Washington for its mountains, its tree-covered slopes and high rocky cliffs, its misty rain, its clear burbling streams, its evergreen forests, and the plants I know so well, for the color the sky is in the summer. I love it for the hatred its city's inhabitants have for umbrellas, and the way that we say "the mountain is out!" and all know what that means. I love it for the long hours of daylight in the summer, and the long hours of darkness in the winter. It's the place that nourished me, where I grew, and the landscape, as well as the city, are a part of me. I fit there. The streets enfold me, and the mountains calm me like a blanket. I love it for all of these things, and I love it because it is itself

But I love Illinois for the melancholy of its flatness, for the rows of trees that enclose the fields of corn, for the fields lying fallow in the winter. I love its loneliness and desolation, the marks of a place that has been taken from itself and remade. I love the places where it has folded in on itself and kept its nature--the canyons of the Illinois River, and the wetlands, guarded so jealously by its residents. I love its red-winged blackbirds by every highway. I love it for all of these things, and I love it because it is itself

And I think I can see Illinois more clearly than I can see Washington, because Washington is like my own skin--I don't always pay attention to it in the same way.

And yet, the moment when I'm flying home from Illinois and see the first mountains and true bodies of saltwater, my soul leaps, and it feels like I can breath again, after forgetting how for many months. 

Even so, when I'm flying back to college at the end of the summer, as I did this week, there's a special thrill to seeing the flat fields as we descend, traversed only by the occasional road and train track. Looking down, I can almost hear the lonely whistles of the trains. 

This is what I mean. Be careful where you fall in love with. 

Those are my great loves. But I have small loves for other places, not the huge aching love for Washington, and the growing love for Illinois, but things that could grow into something along those lines. Friendships with places, if you will. California for its golden hills and sagebrush and eucalyptus, for its San Francisco and its strange plants and its Dominicans. And, to a lesser degree, Tennessee for its soft mountains, for its Fall-like Springs, and for the way it folds in on its little farms, and also the East Coast for its old streets and cemeteries, for New York and Boston, and for the irregular farms, straddling the ridges. 

But I must be careful where I fall in love with.



So...have you experienced what I'm talking about? What are some places that you love, perhaps irrationally? Tell me about them! 

Comments

  1. aww, this post is so lovely. i feel this as well - especially as i've just graduated from college, and it's difficult coming to terms that i will no longer be living in my college town. i love the town where i grew up in, but i so desperately miss everything about the town that i spent four years in. i think that i just get used to the places that i'm in currently. every time i traveled home from college, i fell in love with my hometown again. but the same thing happened when i left home for college.

    such a beautiful, poetic piece! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Allison! I am already dreading the moment when I say goodbye to my college town and campus for good...I haven't even started my Junior year yet, and I can already imagine how much it's going to hurt. But I hope that the next part of your life is a blessing, too! I definitely fall in love with my hometown all over again every time I go home, which is nice, but also makes it hard to leave to come back to school!

      Thank you very much! I'm so glad you liked it! :)

      Delete
  2. Hello yes I love this post a ridiculous amount.
    I've been thinking about this kind of thing a lot lately, actually. The details of a place but also the context with which the place is associated both tend to affect my feelings for them, I think. For instance: the winding roads, the rolling hills, the wineberries, the mourning doves, the silent pines, and the almost churchlike echoes of the little town/piece of countryside I grew up in are all insanely special to me. There's a part of me that always hungers for them, and when I go back it's like revisiting a piece of my heart I forgot existed.
    part of the problem with me is, though---probably like most people---most of the places I've lived have had some insanely painful association. The silence of the Scottsville pines is accompanied by that ever-present ache I remember from my childhood: the knowledge that behind me, in the house, the best part of my world is dying and I can't do anything about it. I think that's the reason why, even though I love Scottsville to death, every time I go back I feel kind of empty inside. Because as much as I'm in love with the place for its own sake, Scottsville and my dad are inseparable. Those roads were driven with him in the car--and now, when I drive them, it's often because I'm going to visit his grave. And so they hold a kind of sorrow in their silence and their beauty.
    and the same goes for where I live now. I love my mountain town to pieces. I love the constant beauty of the views around me, the Victorian architecture, the wholesomeness and history of our downtown, the lonely calls of the jays, the distant sound of jazz that drifts through town from the park in the evenings, the beauty of our church's antique stained glass, the harshness of the hills and the gentleness of the ever-present wind. I love it so much sometimes it feels I'll burst with loving it.
    and yet, I think if I left, I would never be able to come back. because written into the fabric of this place, for me, is the constant, brutal pain of my current life situation, the memory of the awful things that have happened to me here, the gnawing ache of feeling alone and lost in a place that seems too big and beautiful for me, and yet somehow too small for me to ever find real comfort here.
    and that's kind of one reason why I love Manalive so much, I think. 'No earthly home can cure the holy homesickness which forbids us rest.' Because I think even if the beauty of a place doesn't have a painful context associated as with me, there's a sort of understanding in all of us that all of this beauty is mortal. One day Scottsville will no longer exist, and even before that, likely, I will have to leave it and all else behind, like my dad did. There's a sort of wistful pain in knowing that, for me at least, and I think for all of us. And yet there's a sort of wistful comfort in knowing that God knows all, that He understands our love for the beauty He has created, and so there will be, I think, a green lamppost in Heaven. Or for me, mourning doves and mountains. I dinna ken.
    But yeah. Them's my very extended and very personal thoughts. Thank you so much for this beauty Sam. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Grim!

      The details of a place and the context are so important! And your town sounds beautiful... my attention was especially caught by the wineberries, which I didn't know existed until I was introduced to them by my cousins on a recent trip to New York, and they are delicious! :D

      I have actually been thinking a lot about what you said about the painful associations of a place. It's been a little hard to come back to school this year, just because of some of the things that happened last year, and while I think I will be able to "cover up" the bad memories with good memories, and thus be happy to be in this place this year and next year, there was a part of me, at least for the first few days, that was like "ouch, that stings".

      (May I say, also, that your description of your current town is beautiful, and makes me want to visit very badly.)

      It's so interesting, too, as you said, that we don't realize how pain can be woven into the fabric of a place until we leave and come back, and then all of it hits all at once.

      Oh yes, Manalive! And the pain of beauty being mortal. I definitely have had moments where beauty has hurt me not because I had experienced pain there, but because I know that it is someday going to come to an end, and even in the middle of the beauty, that hurts. So, I love the idea that there will be a green lamppost in Heaven, and mourning doves and mountains, and for me, a very dear brick church, perhaps.

      Thank you for sharing all of your thoughts, Grim! God bless you, too. <3

      Delete
  3. Beautiful reflections, Sam <3 <3 (your reflections on Illinois in particular remind me of a post I've been meaning to write about the beauty of the Midwest, and your words here capture Illinois so well <3)
    I think for me, I tend toward loving small parts of places most of all — not that I don't love my hometown, for instance, dearly! XD But when I think of my favorite places, I don't think of a particular town or state, I think of a particular field in Illinois, or a particular overlook of a river on my campus, a spot on the drive to see a friend, a strip of beach down in the Florida panhandle. And then my love for those places spills into love for the state, or the area.
    This post really reminds me that God is an artist, and that our noticing the beauty of the world and places around us is just another way that He shows us He loves us.
    The capacity of loving places because they are — that's a powerful thought; thank you for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole! I'm glad you feel like I captured Illinois well--and I'd love to see your post about the beauty of the Midwest at some point, too!
      Loving the small things makes absolute sense to me! I think I tend to love more on the larger scale, but at the same time, I love this one particular park, one particular church, one particular library, and so on...
      That's beautiful! That God is an artist, and through His art, He shows his love for us. <3

      Delete
  4. THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL. I feel it hard. <3

    (I feel like at another time I will have more articulate thoughts. I would /like/ to have more articulate thoughts. I certainly have my Places. But right now I'm so grateful to be where I am right now that my other loves for other places feel kinda sated and thus obliterated, which is horrible and I'm not sure I like it cuz it doesn't seem HUMAN but also...i think with the changing seasons of my life a nostalgia for the place I just left will come back and hopefully hit hard when I don't expect it to? Annywho. Thanks for writing this.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand being so grateful to be *back* that the loves for everywhere else are overshadowed! Actually, it kind of reminds me of Bilbo? He's glad to get back to Bag End, but then over the years, his desire to see the mountains again grows and grows.

      Delete
  5. BEAUTIFUL! I have been thinking about this so much as I come closer to leaving behind this world. In about a month, I will be going back to a convent for a month, to further discern with this particular community as a candidate. If called to postulancy, I will enter in January. Attachment is so real..."Be careful, then, where you fall in love with". I love that phrase because it is so hard sometimes to just let go, to leave behind so many places but even more so many friendships and memories that have been made in those places. The tiny town that I grew up in has millions of memories: from the Adoration chapel half a mile down the road; to the playground where my siblings always played "Statue Maker"; to the church my niece affectionately calls "Father's House"; to the many students I have loved during my year at the Catholic School through all those games of freeze tag and football; to the many bike rides my siblings and I have gone on to see what's happening; and to the wonderful smell of my mother's baking in our kitchen. And the list of places/memories is never-ending. But one day, I will say goodbye to everything. This time may be around the corner, but this is not our home on Earth. God made us for more, for eternity. That is what we must live for! Thank you, Sam, for this very reflective post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss K! Oh my goodness, I'm so excited for you! You'll be in my prayers in this period of discernment!
      It is so very hard to let go of places that hold memories and our love... but the world is our ship and not our home, and God is more than all of the places that we love. <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!