The Silmaril Awards 2023: It's Time To Vote! (ft. Sam spills the tea on everything that's been going on with the cute couples)


*reluctantly tears self away from a scintillating conversation with Alyss, Evanlyn, Helen, Sarah Heap, and Lady Pauline about how long one should be engaged before getting married* 

Well, hello everyone! (Apparently if I use the word "y'all" again, my brother is going to abduct me from school and make me stay in the PNW until said word is purged from my vocabulary...and given the number of things I have going on next week, that would be highly inconvenient. So, "y'all" is out for the present.) It's been a FANTASTIC week, and I'm sure y'all--YOU GUYS are waiting with bated breath to hear all of the hijinks that have been going on. Well, wait no longer, for I am here to deliver! (Much as I would like to be chatting about the woes of a long engagement, I could not possibly deprive you of a status update.) 

Oh, um, hi your Staryk highness. What's up? You're tired of being in the cafeteria kitchen freezer? I'm really sorry, but it's quite warm outside, it being September in Illinois, and Miryem tells me that if you get too warm, you could die. So, I kind of think you should go back. Unless of course you want to ask Miryem if you can come out...? Yeah, I didn't think so. 

So, my first issue when couples started arriving (besides the whole 'OMIGOSH HI' fangirl thing I wanted to like every single time--maintaining professionalism while hosting the Silmarils is not the easiest) was where to put all of them. Because while my (Catholic) dormitory does allow male visitors on the female floors and vice versa, visiting hours end at 11 (midnight on the weekends), and at that point if the RA on duty hears male voices in your room, there is Trouble. 

This does, in fact, also apply to married couples. I was only asked that like, um, forty times. (No one was happy with the answer, so there were some repeats, with progressively more threatening faces. Or attempts at more threatening faces. Sorry, Sophos, your scary face isn't very scary when you're blushing because you're asking if you and your wife can room together. It is pretty cute, though, even if the answer is still no.)

So, having learned from last year, I asked my guy friends in advance if I could send the male characters down to their rooms to sleep. Out of all the guy friends I asked for help, there was technically only one free bed, but the floor was a viable option, and so were taking hot-bed shifts. Which is also what we did in my room, since, even though we have a LOT more space than most of the dorm rooms, and were able to put out quite a few air mattresses, there's still not enough room for 96 women to all sleep at once. Or even all be in at once. (Did I mention 96 couples were nominated? Oh yeah! A good first year. :))

I may or may not have forgotten that we had issues with the Howl + JinYeong + Gen combination last year and put them in the same room. That was...hmm. A strategic error, shall we say. But I did manage to straighten it out and clean up the green slime. (Sophie helped.) Not before, however, it flooded the bathroom. I owe the 1S RA for, like, ever.

It has been fun, though, hosting some of the same people I hosted last year for the Strange Character awards, although one might surmise that hosting characters who are strange and in couples is sometimes a challenge. 

ACK! Will, for the love of PETE, would you stop sneaking up on me? I don't care if you're good at silent movement, make some noise. You and Gilan and Halt are going to give me a heart attack. What's up? Oh, yeah, I can tell you how to get to Meadowbrook Park. Just...people walk their dogs there, so be careful with the archery practice, okay? Cool.

Anyway, that's the sleeping arrangements, which honestly are probably pretty boring for you, but they've been taking up so much of my spare time, I thought I might as well write down what was going on, if nothing else than so that my successor as the Devoted Couples host will know what worked and what didn't. 

But the fun parts are what's been happening during the day. If you could have seen the looks on the faces of everyone in the dorm on Monday night when everyone went down for dinner! I mean, there were three guys in camouflage cloaks, each with a stunning woman on his arm, multiple people in Hogwarts robes, two rabbits, a werewolf, a vampire, and a god-like personage, and that's not even mentioning all the people in antiquated and/or regal and/or tattered clothes, plus the Queen's Thief characters who were all teasing each other in a very stabby way about their meal choices. (I'm pretty sure someone, and by someone, I mean Gen, started a "which drink is Irene most likely to poison" debate about all the drinks from the soda fountain. Not sure what the end consensus was, but my vote is for the cranberry juice. I think that would probably hide stuff the best.)

Anyway, it was a Sight To See, let me tell you. Also, they clogged up the dinner line for at least half an hour, and I think the staff is thinking better of approving my request for extra meal swipes for the event. (My bad, I guess.)

But once everyone found seats and settled down to eat, the fun began, and has continued. 

Of course, Martin & Rose and Heather & Smalls and Matthias & Cornflower have been hanging out together, which is super cute. (They're really easy to house, too, thank goodness. I just have to have them up high, so no one squishes them, for which my window-ledge-seat is perfect.)

But also, at the first dinner, Adolin & Shallan ended up at the same booth as Pete & Beatriz, and they've been inseparable ever since, which is absurdly adorable. I'm not sure exactly what they've been talking about (I don't have time to sit in on all the conversations that have been going on this week, both because there are a lot of characters, and because I still have to, like, go to class and do homework and lector for Mass and stuff), but Sophie tells me that a lot of it is quite naive and idealistic but sweet. 

(Sophie, incidentally, is the best right-hand woman I've ever had, and not only when it comes to dealing with Howl.)

Along similar lines, Irene & Curdie have been having a lot of fun with Robin & Maria (who I was THRILLED to meet--I wasn't expecting them to come, but the book they originated in is one that made a huge impression on me as a kid), starting with ketchup-packet-flinging competitions at dinner. (Because they are who they are, though, they cleaned it all up without me even having to ask.)

Wesley and Horace, would you mind very much taking your swordfight outside? And do not you dare to say 'as you wish', you know Buttercup thinks you're flirting with people when you say that to anyone other than her. I've had enough problems with that this week already. Thank you. 

What was I saying? Oh, that's right, dinner the first night. Arthur & Molly Weasley sat with Silas & Sarah Heap, and the sheer amount of chaotic cottagecore vibes almost imploded the cafeteria, I'm pretty sure. (Both Molly and Sarah have been knitting and sewing all week, trying to make clothes for the sorority girls who they are convinced will freeze to death this winter. And honestly, I can get behind that, although I wish they weren't borrowing my knitting supplies, because I have a cardigan to finish. But it's only for a week, I guess.)

After dinner, though, is where things got fun, because while some of the couples kept hanging out with each other most of the time (notably, the Queen's Thief couples have been going on multiple double dates, because they don't get to do things like that when they're at home and expected to be Responsible and stuff. I haven't kept exact track, but I'm pretty sure they went axe-throwing on Tuesday, to the trampoline park on Wednesday (I would kill for pictures of this, but they don't have smartphones), and out for ice cream either Thursday or Friday), packs of fantasy women and men have developed that are hanging out and talking about Many Things and bragging and dueling each other, respectively. (Well, I guess not all of them are bragging. But there have been a lot of duels, and it was only due to Curdie's interference that Mirnatius didn't accidentally kill James Potter.)

Incidentally, while I'm thinking about Curdie and Mirnatius, can I point out how confusing it is that we have two Irenes and an Irena? Gen calling "Irene!" has gotten the attention of a Rather Small Girl on a couple of occasions, much to the bemusement of everyone involved. And the fact that both Irena and Gen's Irene have been hanging out with Miryem and exchanging tips on ruling a kingdom does not help with the name confusion. 

Hey Hermione! What's up? Yeah, I'm almost done, we can go to the library soon, although I do have class at 1, so we can't stay for too long. But I can definitely show you the Audubon prints and the Main Stacks, and the Rare Books & Manuscripts collection. If you want, we can request the Babylonian tablets and you can teach me how to read cuneiform. But I need to finish this first. 

(Have I mentioned how fun it's been having Hermione around? She's actually come to a few of my classes with me and has been helping me study.) (Meanwhile, Ron and Taran have become 'bros', and are commiserating about how hard women are to understand.)

Anyway, I ran across one of the groups of women--I think it was Ella and Tonks and Scarlet and Puck and Adi and also Addie (that's confusing, too) and Poly and Cinder and maybe Sarene?--hanging out with my friends and giving them guy advice. (Which honestly, knowing my friend-group, is sorely needed. And I may need to pump them about what was said in that conversation later.)

Meanwhile, Rhys and Howl and Luck have been comparing wizardly notes, which I think is just a Terrible Idea, but Addie and Sophie and Poly don't seem particularly worried, so I'm backing off of that for now. But if they start being weird about it, I will be separating them. Somehow.

Speaking of problematic combos, um, Vin and Kaz have been spending an alarming amount of time together? I think they might be plotting something. (And I'm also worried that Elend is going to start accusing Kaz of stealing Vin from him, even though he should totally know better.)

(For the record, I am Unhappy about having to host Kaz. I don't like Kaz, and I didn't want him in my dorm, so I'm hoping I can kick him out for this coming week. The perils of being a Silmaril host, I guess.)

Anyway, enough complaining! Before I get to the finalists for this category, and both I and you get to find out what ten people I get to hang out with this week (with the addition of our awards presenters and honorary Narnian guests, who very politely didn't come this week, so as not to make my job of finding everyone a place to sleep even harder), I wanted to share a few of the cute moments I've witnessed, because CUTE. 

 -I know this isn't a couple thing, but can I just say that the moment when Halt pulled one of my guy friends aside and was like "she looks uncomfortable, go rescue her" about one of my female friends dancing with someone she really didn't want to dance with was the sweetest?? (Halt has been being A Dad all week and I love it except when he tries to bug me to go to bed on time. Because where is the fun in that, I ask you.)
-Don't think I haven't noticed Miryem sneaking into the freezer to spend time with the Staryk king. 
-Lily & James have been having quiet time together in the chapel in the mornings--just sitting together holding hands and praying. 
-Will likes to get up really early and go outside--can't blame him--and so every morning this week, the first thing I heard was Alyss getting up to go with him. I'm pretty sure they just take a silent walk together.
-There is not a girl in the building who has had to open a door for herself for the past week--students or characters. 
-Every night, the last thing that Mr. Weasley does before I kick him and all the other male characters out of our room is rub Mrs. Weasley's feet. 
-I may or may not have walked in on Adolin and Shallan kissing in the stairwell. (Reader, the stairwell is not a private place. That may have been the point, because Chaperones and Stuff, but it was pretty funny.)
-I don't know what Remus and Tonks had been up to before they arrived, but they came separately, and as soon as they saw each other, it was an all-out SPRINT into a hug, and then Remus swung her up in the air. Just a little bit.

Anyway. :)

Now, I'm sure you're all anticipating learning who'll be hanging out with me for another week, and who we'll be saying goodbye to until next year. So...

The Finalists

Image credit to owner
Howl & Sophie (Howl's Moving Castle)
Howl and Sophie are one of the most chaotic couples in all of fantasy, whose communication style is comprised of a combination of green slime and weedkiller. However, they still seem to get along, perhaps because while Howl is Absolutely Heartless, Vain, and a Fop, at least according to Sophie, he may be plotting to steal her heart...and not just because he wants to eat it. These plots may involve exploiting the fact that her love language is flowers and saving her from her own nosiness multiple times. So basically, he's making it up as he goes. And perhaps she will realize that hidden somewhere in his moving castle, he does have a very soft heart indeed. 
“I think we ought to live happily ever after," and she thought he meant it. Sophie knew that living happily ever after with Howl would be a good deal more hair-raising than any storybook made it sound, though she was determined to try. "It should be hair-raising," added Howl.
"And you'll exploit me," Sophie said.
"And then you'll cut up all my suits to teach me.”

Image credit to owner
Buttercup & Wesley (The Princess Bride)
While communication is, again, perhaps not the strong suit of these two (while "As you wish" is sweet, it does lack, um, directness. Specificity. Y'know. Actually communicative meaning), they make up for it by the lengths to which they will go for each other. From going-to-sea-to-make-his-fortune-and-becoming-a-pirate to fighting a whole bunch of people to climbing a cliff to diving into snow sand to...wait, hold up, those are all Wesley. Well, I guess Buttercup does...agree to marry someone else in order to save[?] his life? But in the end, what matters is the fact that they're together, and that Buttercup didn't have to damage her perfect...*ahem*. 
“I love you,' Buttercup said. 'I know this must come as something of a surprise to you, since all I've ever done is scorn you and degrade you and taunt you, but I have loved you for several hours now, and every second, more. I thought an hour ago that I loved you more than any woman has ever loved a man, but a half hour after that I knew that what I felt before was nothing compared to what I felt then. But ten minutes after that, I understood that my previous love was a puddle compared to the high seas before a storm. Your eyes are like that, did you know? Well they are."

Image credit to owner
Remus & Tonks (Harry Potter)

While Remus and Tonks got off to a bit of a rough start (when Snape starts getting involved with and snarky about your relationship, it's never a good time), they quickly became one of the most devoted and most awesome couples in Harry Potter. There's nothing better than fighting the Dark Lord side by side with your beloved, and on top of that, there's really nothing better than getting married in the middle of a war, giving hope to the beleaguered good guys. (Even if there's some, um, angst with that.) Plus, the sheer amount of unconditional love displayed by the two of them is enough to melt even my heart. 
“I am not being ridiculous,” said Lupin steadily. “Tonks deserves somebody young and whole.” 
“But she wants you,” said Mr. Weasley, with a small smile. “And after all, Remus, young and whole men do not necessarily remain so.”

Image credit to owner
Matthias & Cornflower (Redwall)
Cornflower may seem like she's a...well, a female mouse. Slightly timid. Good at cooking. Patient and motherly. However, she and Matthias make the best possible team for solving mysteries, and when she gives him her headband as a mark of her favor, he can do anything (or at least, that's how it feels). She can and will throw fiery things at enemy attackers and thus set their siege engines on fire, and/or dress up as a ghost in order to freak the vermin out of their minds. She and Matthias complement each other beautifully and have a lovely and undramatic romance of mutual support. 
“Don’t worry, Cornflower. I fully intend to take care of myself, for the safety of Redwall Abbey . . . and for you.”


Image credit to owner
Heather & Smalls (The Green Ember)
Heather and Smalls are one of the most wholesome couples in recent MG/YA fantasy, and that's a fact. You really can't get much better than a super slow burn romance between two truly wonderful rabbits, one of whom is selfless and nurturing, and the other of whom is selfless and courageous and will never hesitate to save a life. But don't let the adjective 'nurturing' lead you to underestimate Heather--when thrown into a dangerous and potentially deadly situation, she will summon a well of strength big enough to support and encourage both herself and Smalls. Essentially, Heather and Smalls' relationship is a lot like Aragon & Arwen's, if Arwen got a lot more page time, and was more instrumental to the plot. 
“Our love is a treasure, but it's not the house we keep the treasure in.' Heather smiled through the tears. 'There is a bigger world we fit inside, and we can't say yes to our love right here without saying no to the world. I can't. I know you can't either, or you wouldn't be the one I love so much.”

*muted squealing* I'm honestly OVER THE MOON that Heather & Smalls made it to the finals. I mean, I'm happy to get to hang out with all of them more for the next week, but Heather & Smalls are the literal sweetest. 

oooookay now that I've displayed blatant bias (okay but also can we talk about Tonks & Lupin) (and Howl & Sophie), it's time for YOU to display blatant bias and go vote! 

This is the important bit! You need to go to THIS LINK to VOTE for your favorite couple! (And your favorite characters in the other categories, too.) The couple with the most votes will officially collect a Silmaril to hang on their wall (or tree, or hearth or...whatever), so this part is really important! Do it! Don't even think about skipping it! 

Also, you should go check out the fun that the other hosts have cooked up! You only need to go to the link to vote once, but you can go to everyone else's websites to hear about the hijinks that've been going on in their neck of the woods this week and read about their finalists! 

Most Devoted Couple--Samantha Benedict (you are here!)


Alrighty! Let the most devoted couple win! And please, talk to me in the comments! Which couple are you rooting for to win? What part of the hijinks that I've been through this past week is your favorite? :)

Comments

  1. Howl-slimed bathroom buddies! *fistbump of condolence*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *returns fistbump* We need all the condolence we can get after that! Good thing he's still here for another week... *eyeroll*

      Delete
  2. This post was glorious, Samantha. What a time it must've been, hosting so many devoted couples in a school dorm xD I can't wait to see the award ceremony post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Merie! I had a lot of fun writing it. :) It was a great time hosting everyone, but I can't say I'm sorry that things have simmered down a bit. I'm looking forward to the award ceremony, too!

      Delete
  3. Ok, but the first thing your first paragraph made me think of was that, if you look at the actual chronology of Ranger's Apprentice, Will and Alyss took a RIDICULOUSLY long time to get married. Ok, had to get that out.

    Sounds like you've been having an interesting time hosting all the couples. I applaud you for somehow managing to find enough beds for everyone in a college dorm. (Also, is it concerning that in the Mirnatius vs. James Potter almost-duel, I was rooting for Mirnatius?) The multiple Irenes would be confusing, but I do see Irene and Irena and Miryem getting along very well.

    I am a bit surprised by the finalists, but, y'know, at least I will have exactly 0 difficulty deciding who gets my vote. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will and Alyss really do take FOREVER to get married!! And like, yes, courtship is important, but GAH, boy, just marry her already! XD (No wonder Halt says "and about time, too.")

      It was definitely an interesting week! And the beds were the biggest challenge...I may need to think about some more alternatives for next year, because it was crunchy, lol. (Haha, I guess it depends on which version of Mirnatius you were rooting for, but I could see how you'd root for him over James. :D)

      Well, that's always nice! I certainly had a bit of a harder time deciding who to vote for...

      Delete
  4. This is brilliant. And I'm so sorry for the absolute chaos that your dorm was this past week XD. Also, I'm a bit jealous of you getting to hang out with all of these couples.

    I'm now imagining Will Treaty and your friend-who-likes-to-climb-trees just chilling up in a tree somewhere on campus, being like 'man, it's really nice to spend time with someone who gets me'.

    Okay, but the Staryk in the cafeteria freezer?? Excuse me while I roll on the floor and chortle. POOR GUY. That's hilarious.

    Also, I love your descriptions of the couples' relationships. Very Well Done. (As I was scrolling down through the finalists there was a lot of mental squealing. This is going to be a very tough decision.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuuuuu! (You should be jealous. It was great. ;))

      YES actually that is brilliant, the only problem being that I don't think friend-who-likes-to-climb-trees was here at all that week. (But he and Will would TOTALLY get along. That would be hilarious.)

      *evil chortle* That was definitely one of my more inspired ideas.

      Thank you! It was such a hard choice for me, for sure!

      Delete
  5. What are your thoughts on the engagement question? Because the hints you gave throughout are the exact opposite of what I would’ve thought your opinion would be. xD

    …you’re telling me that my darling Sophos is in a permanent relationship?? What book does THAT happen in?

    “Meanwhile, Ron and Taran have become 'bros', and are commiserating about how hard women are to understand.” I LOVE IT. XD

    Tip for when you can’t use y’all: use yas. It’s an Irish thing that my family and I have adopted. xD

    Ooops, I didn’t even think about how bad it was to nominate Kaz and Inej because that means they are in your dorm. SORRY. Sorry, sorry, sorry. XD They are some of my favorites so I’m glad I brought them up, but I forgot your feelings on the matter so I probably owe you, don’t I?

    Mwahaha, I know people who get competitive about opening doors, so I can totally see how none of the gals have had to do that this week. XD

    Ahem, Sam is not biased AT ALL about Buttercup and Westley being in the finalists… ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So basically, my thoughts on the engagement question is that an engagement shouldn't be more than about a year, ideally. Because engagement is ordered towards getting married, and there's no need to put it off for longer than a year! And it can start being a temptation if it drags on for too long, if that makes sense. I have some acquaintances who know they won't be able to get married for another two years, so they haven't gotten engaged yet, even though they are planning on getting married, and that makes sense to me.

      You're just going to have to keep reading The Queen's Thief and see what happens! *evil grin*

      Ooh, I like 'yas', although it sounds a bit like "yassss queen". XD Apparently, according to the recent trip I took to the East Coast/Appalachias, other options are "you'uns" and "yous". XD

      You were entitled to nominate Kaz & Inej because I know they ARE some of your favorites, but they DID drive me insane, sooooooo....you might owe me.

      Hahaha I'm glad the guys here aren't the only ones who are super competitive about door opening.

      Oh dear, not at all. Where would you have gotten that idea?

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you've reigned in your midwestern tendencies, sister dear. I'd like to lightly protest at the fact that Buttercup made it to both the finals of this award and the Most Epic Heroine award, despite the fact that she is neither devoted, epic, or heroic. Me no likey. Anyway, good luck with your roommates, tell the Redwall people that I'm still their biggest fan and have an excellent week.
    Eomer the Mighty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will endeavor to continue reigning in said midwestern tendencies. ;) *whispers* I kind of agree? But for some reason the Princess Bride characters are sweeping the awards this year. So, we'll see what happens. The Redwall people say hello. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!