Musings On Community (sparked by a song)

I know this isn't my typical type of post (and, um, I'm sort of impinging on The Grim Writer's territory, talking about folk-y music, sorry Grim), but I came across a couple of songs over the summer in the folk-ish genre (I don't know how folk songs are defined (that's Grim's territory), so I don't know what genre the two songs technically are) that have made an impression and made me think about important things, so I thought I'd put up a quick post today talking about one of them. :)


The first song is one that came up on one of Spotify's radio settings of some sort--I usually will skip songs that I don't recognize when that happens (I know, I know, I'm terrible), but this one I thought I'd heard before, so I listened to it, and I was glad I did! 

It is, in short, "The Night They Moved The House" by Ten Strings and a Goat Skin (one of the weirder band names I've ever come across, but oh well). 

What caught my attention initially was the driving rhythm and overall "bop-ness" of the whole song. But as I started to listen to the lyrics, they caught my attention, too. 

(I should probably state at this point that there are two things that I need in order to LOVE a song: the music has to be good--preferably either catchy or beautiful, and if there are chording moments that make my heart skip a beat, that is a plus--and the lyrics have to tell a story. There are a few exceptions to this, but in order for me to love a song, there has to be some kind of story in the lyrics. It's even better if it's tragic. This is just how I am.) 

The first thing that called to me about the lyrics was the way that the whole community came together for a purpose, for the common good, and specifically for the good of one of their members. The whole community came together to fight the injustice that Widow Victoria wasn't strong enough to fight on her own. The husbands and wives come together to work side-by-side to get this done. Side note: this visual makes me laugh, because I'm SURE that it was a woman who had this idea, and then all the women were like "yes, we're going to make our husbands do this", and then the husbands ran with it and wrote a really heroic song about it. But I digress. 
Throughout the whole song, you can feel the excitement and pride of the community to be coming together for something good, and to be doing something so out of the ordinary as a good deed. 

"Ring the church bells in the night
We'll gather at the first starlight
Bring your lamps, sleighs and mare to save the Widow's home"

The music has an almost childlike excitement about the whole thing--we're ringing the church bells! we're working through the night! subterfuge! excitement! thwarting injustice! yay! 

The community element of it reminded me of the times that my family has been the recipients of our community's generosity. We haven't had to move our house on skids across a frozen pond to avoid an avaricious landlord, but over the past nine years, my mom has had at least five hospital stays, including one that lasted ten days. (This was all due to issues that are now resolved, thank You, Jesus!) During many of those hospital stays, our parish community came together to help our family--whether it was by taking several of my siblings for the afternoon or overnight, or by dropping off supplies, or by their prayers, and so on. The most memorable support was the meal trains that were set up--my family has allergies up to here, and yet, we were brought food (that we could eat!) every day, sometimes for several weeks. It made our whole family feel loved and supported and took a lot of stress off of my dad, as well. Having friends who, when they hear that something has gone wrong will say "how can I help", or better yet "here's how I'm going to help" is a huge blessing, and something not to be underestimated. 

The second thing that struck me about the lyrics was this moment:
"You can see his breath freeze in the air
As Perè Felix said the Lord's Prayer
And passed the wine to all hands there
Then he sang a sailor's song."

I didn't know until I read the lyrics as I was writing this post that 'Perè Felix' was the lyric--until then, it had sort of sounded like someone's name. It's a beautiful enough moment even thinking it's just one of the men--you can just see the men standing solemnly in a circle in the snow, with their hats off, held in their cold-roughened hands, heads bowed as one of their number recites the Our Father. The horses stamp and blow behind them as the men pass a flask from hand to hand, each taking a gulp, until it gets back to the leader, who caps it, sticks it back in his coat, puts his hat back on his head, and begins a working song, as everyone joins in, and steps out to their horses, their wives next to them. 

Knowing that the person who says the prayer is Perè Felix, a priest, makes the moment, if possible, more beautiful, more poignant, and more Chestertonian. This isn't a priest who is distant from his people. He's helping, he's leading the fight against injustice and sin by example and with his own hands. He's leading his people in prayer, and given them strength--the mention of the wine sounds almost sacramental, although I'm guessing it's merely meant to be fortification. (Because, at the time I assume this song is referring to, i.e. a time when a house would have been able to be moved on skids and people would have horses, i.e. pre-1965, there were (almost) no evening Masses due to the canon law on fasting at the time, and so the priest saying Mass before this whole venture wouldn't probably have been feasible. This has been Super Random Catholic Facts with Samantha. You're welcome.) 
And then the priest joins in the work, singing a sailor's song. 

I don't know about you, but I think that's dang beautiful. (And it also reminds me of our priests, some of whom have brought us things during difficult times, come through for anointing of the sick, and so on. Again, they've never helped move a house, but if you asked them to, they probably would. And one of our priests definitely knows a sailor's song or two.)


So! Those are my thoughts on "The Night They Moved The House". Now...have you had the experience of being enfolded by a community like that? What's a song that's made an impression on you recently? 

Comments

  1. Okay first of all you are not intruding on my territory, that's just stupid. :P Have I mentioned how much I ABSOLUTELY love reading other people's music posts, heh? Also overanalyzing any type of music but especially folk music happens to be my jam. TL ; DR this is an awesome post and I love it.
    As for the song's genre and your unspoken inquiry on the matter, I can't find it on Mainly Norfolk (probably due to its being Canadian), and Mudcat is currently down so I obviously can't find it there, heh, but a bit of surface level research inclines me to think this might be contemporary. I'd definitely call it folk music though, even though I'm not sure of the dating.
    Also fun fact: I was immediately intrigued as to which instruments the band name referred to. When I looked up the band, turns out the three members play (principally) guitar, tenor banjo, and bodhran. guitar is of course six-stringed, apparently tenor banjo has four strings, and bodhrans are made out of goat skins. Boom. Band name solved and I now know tenor banjos exist. Edumacation. Thanks for the incentive lol.
    The song is a freakin' banger and I enjoyed it muchly; can we just TALK about how contagiously joyful it sounds?? It's such a good type of vibe to predicate a song about community work on. And I know a lot of songs related to community work, but I don't think I have ever heard one involving domestic communities, if that makes sense? (okay that's not quite true, I think there are some Stan Rogers songs that apply. But you get the point.) It makes me SO happy. Also the way you related it back to your own experiences with your community was just jolly wholesome and enjoyable to read.
    And I think you well know and/or can guess my answer to your first closing question, heh, having just experienced my community, but in answer to the second closing question, I have a not-folk song: Noah Kahan's 'You're Gonna Go Far.' Kind of made me contemplate what happens to a community when somebody has to leave it. I do like songs that prove to be jumping off points for contemplation.
    Yeah. This whole post is a gem and made me really happy. And it's making me want to write about folk music more again, so thanks for that. I certainly wouldn't say no to more music posts from you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, well I will stop apologizing and publish the next post relatively soon b/c I think you'll enjoy that one, too. (I had two folk-ish music posts on the docket, and this is the first one.)
      Very good to know! Thank you for making inquiries! I think you're right that it may be contemporary, but I do think it fits in the folk genre, more or less. (This is why you need to write a post about this. :D)

      Huh, that's super cool! I didn't know that bodhrans were made out of goat skins, although I did know that there were instruments that were (some drums, for instance), so I had a hunch it was instrument-related but had literally no clue what instrument it was referring to. I'm glad I could indirectly further your edumacation! ;)

      IT IS A FREAKIN' BANGER! I'm so glad you liked it! It is SO joyful, and I LOVE listened to it (and so do all my siblings.) It's definitely unique in its focus on domestic community, and I love it for that. (And I think it expresses the joy and bubble of a community through the sound, as well, and that's really cool.)

      Hah, I can guess your answer to my first closing question, and it makes me happy. <3 Ooh, I'll have to listen to that one at some point, because I've been thinking about that a bit...

      Aww, thank you so much! I'm glad I could make you happy AND make you want to write more folk music posts, because Grim folk music posts make the world a better place. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!