The Secret of Kells: The Importance of Art

 

Image not mine; credit to the original owner.

"Oh, Sam," you say, with a sigh. "I thought we were done talking about art? You haven't brought it up for AGES."

HA. My gentle reader, we are never done talking about art. And the only reason you haven't had a post about it sooner is that I started drafting a post about it last winter, but never finished the draft, and then lost my train of thought. It was very sad. 

HOWEVER. I am here to remedy the lack of art-nerdery on the blog! It's December! A beautiful time! A good time to talk about beauty!

Not too terribly long ago, I watched The Secret of Kells for the third time. (In fact, I actually watched it twice in one month, oops.) If you're not familiar with this gorgeous, sweet, utterly charming, and rather haunting animated movie, then get thee to the nearest source of it, and watch it immediately! (It's only just over an hour long. You totally have time to watch it.) 

It's set in an Ireland-ish place back during the Dark Ages, when Vikings would attack monasteries regularly, and gives an imaginary backstory for the Book of Kells, a beautiful illuminated book of the Gospels dating from the 9th century. It imagines an abbot who is so desperate to protect his monastery that he pulls all the resources into building a huge wall, and his nephew, Brendan, who, when a man arrives carrying a beautiful illuminated manuscript, will do almost anything to help him bring the project to fruition. 

(A quick warning...there will be a few spoilers in this post. Not for the entire plot, but for the ending. It's necessary, for what I'm going to be talking about, I think.)


It's animated in an absolutely gorgeous stylized way, apparently inspired by Irish art. The whole movie is eye candy, although it does take a few minutes to get used to how the characters move. 


Oh, and some folkloric characters make it in, too. 


But what I'm actually here to talk about is the plot and themes of the movie. One of the most important themes throughout the story is the conflict between productivity or products and art, as embodied by the Abbot, who's building a wall around the monastery, and Brother Aidan, the illuminator.

The Abbot is convinced that he's going to protect the monastery by building an enormous wall around it and keep everyone within safe from the Vikings. He pours all of his resources and time and planning into this wall, and pours all of the resources of the monastery into it, as well, keeping the monks out of the Scriptorium as much as possible, and working on the wall, instead of illuminated art. 


But when Brother Aidan, the illuminator, arrives, he quickly recruits Brendan to help him work on the Book of Iona, his current illuminated manuscript. The process takes Brendan into danger several times, and thoroughly exasperates the Abbot, who cannot understand why anyone would work on an illuminated book, when the monastery is not totally secure. It's just not important to him at all, and he sees working on it as an extreme act of foolishness. 


And then, the Vikings come. Despite the wall, they break into the monastery, and begin to lay waste to the place, killing many, and taking much. Brendan and Brother Aidan flee, leaving the Abbot to wonder if they're even still alive. 


Brendan and Brother Aidan survive, and finish the Book, which is then entitled the Book of Kells. Brendan returns to Kells to find his uncle an old man, still clutching a scrap of illumination that he, Brendan, had done as a young boy. (Not so coincidentally, it's a round piece of illumination that looks a bit like a Host). He says of the piece of illumination that it's his only comfort, and he is utterly flabbergasted, overjoyed, and humbled when Brendan himself appears, bearing an entire illuminated book.


The Abbot has discovered a truth about art. While the works of men, like walls, are useful for a time (no one is saying that protecting his monastery from the Vikings is a bad goal--it was, in fact, a good goal, pursued in the wrong way), art endures. (While it is made by people, and thus perhaps a 'work of men', it has a transcendent quality to it that is mysterious, and one would argue that for art to be good, one has to somehow invite God into the work.) Art has a power that is more comforting than all of the walls in the world. 


Beauty reminds us of all that is true and good in the world. Beauty brings the heart and the mind to God. As Dostoevsky says, beauty will save the world. Perhaps an exaggeration; perhaps not. After all, Beauty has already saved the world, and it is His coming that we celebrate in ten days. ;)

And the overall message that the film drives home, along the lines of this theme, is that art is worth it

Art is worth hiding from the abbot and staying up late to create.

Art is worth fleeing from the Vikings to protect.

Art is worth crying over, rejoicing over, and dying to protect. 

Art is worth it. 

Beauty is worth it.

That is what will save the world, keep civilization alive, if underground, and pass on a message to generations yet to come. 


The Book of Iona is just as important as the walls, not because it's going to protect the monastery, but because it's going to protect civilization, it's going to protect knowledge, and it's going to share beauty. 

And in a world where art is increasingly overlooked, in favor of productivity--arts programs are underfunded, people don't visit museums nearly as much--a movie that, while being a work of art on its own, emphasizes the importance of art to people, to the human condition, is most welcome. 

(I think you should watch it. :))


So! Have you thought about art recently? What were your conclusions? Have you seen The Secret of Kells? What's your favorite animated movie?

Comments

  1. *GASP* I STINKING LOVE THIS MOVIE. I'm so happy you've watched it now!!! It's probably been three years since I last saw it, so I should remedy that. Because it's GORGEOUS. So I'm flipping out about it because you're the only other person I know who's seen it. *flails*

    And everything you said is perfect. *nods* This is making me want to visit a museum...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT'S SO GOOD! I had no idea you were a fan of it, or I would have geeked out about it with you sooner!! Cuz I watched it for the first time our freshman year, I think? (Sheesh, how is that like two years ago. *facepalm*)

      Aww, thanks! And museums are always a good idea... ;)

      Delete
  2. I have thought about art recently. Quite a lot, in fact, this whole fall. I'll spare you a reproduction of the [numerous] rants to which I've subjected my journals, but...modern art (and specifically when it comes to modern architecture, which is something I know very little about but can at least appreciate, which is more than I can necessarily do with most visual forms of art) is something that used to make me sad and now just makes me furious. Like, legitimately, deeply, furiously angry. Because how DARE you take something that is supposed to be beautiful and DELIBERATELY make it ugly? It's one thing to try to create beauty and fail. It's another to deliberately try to achieve the opposite. When a library building on a college campus--when a MUSIC PERFORMANCE HALL on a COLLEGE CAMPUS--is built and furnished in such a way as to deliberately throw off symmetry, harmony, and beauty? To make the viewer notice that it's not traditionally beautiful? I WANT TO BURN EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE BUILDINGS TO THE GROUND, AND, SAM, I AM NOT EVEN KIDDING. (And this would be an incredibly widespread fire because it's so pervasive and that's part of why it makes me so angry.)

    Because art IS important, okay? Beauty is important. It's so important that people have risked their lives to save it! And to create it! And to pass on the love of it and the skills to make more of it!

    I quite honestly believe that modern culture's rather fierce rejection of beauty is one aspect of its rejection of God. So that, conversely, the pursuit of beauty is the pursuit (albeit sometimes unconscious or misdirected) of God. So yeah, it's pretty important. And I have strong feelings about it. And I enjoyed this post, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which, I will say, is...um...well, it's part of the reason arts programs are underfunded and museums undervisited. My sister is in an arts (music) program; she participated in one concert that was LITERALLY thirty minutes of deliberately created cacophony presented as an original musical composition. There was nothing beautiful about it. People see that arts programs at most colleges care about being original, NOT about creating beauty (in fact if you create something beautiful that's probably a sign you're being cliche, horror of horrors), and, well, I don't think they're super keen to fund that?
      As for museums, my dad and I were driving past a small art museum this fall and decided to go in, spur of the moment. There was almost nothing even pretty in there, let alone beautiful. One characteristic exhibit was a glass column filled up with surgical/medical trash (used gloves, broken instruments, bloody rags). Suffice to say we did not walk out of there wondering why more people don't go to museums.

      I don't know that I think the culture at large is terribly dismissive of beauty, to be honest. I think the people who are supposed to provide us with it not only failed in their jobs, but completely perverted their mission; so now ordinary people just don't think about it that much. They learn to get along without it. But they still like it and, if their desire for it is awakened (this is what happened to me), begin to keenly realize their lack of it and mourn that. And there really just need to be people who step up and start creating some beauty, because the people you'd traditionally expect that of have tossed away that sacred trust, thinking it trite.

      Them's my extra two cents on beauty. Don't know if you wanted them, but, like I said, I've been thinking about it a LOT this fall.

      Delete
    2. Ah! Well it was a good time for me to put up this post, then! 😊 Modern art, though (and a lot of modern architecture, but not all of it because I do like some of it) is legitimately the WORST though. The world is ugly enough with original sin…WHY do humans feel the need to make it uglier? Or even meaningless? It seems like a lot of modern art is like “look, life has no meaning”, and like, okay…so then if you believe that, WHY MAKE ART?? If life has no meaning, then neither does art, so it’s useless for you to make it.

      And the fact that places that are supposed to be educating young people are deliberately made ugly is just…SO WRONG. (Although I can’t say that’s the case on my college campus…praise God most of the buildings are actually lovely, although don’t get me STARTED on the Psychology building. Or the Foreign Languages building. It’s like that scene in That Hideous Strength when they’re trying to get him to admit to relative morals or something, and he’s in that room where everything is /off/ and it’s totally messing with his brain. So…I can’t condone arson, but I will say it would be very understandable.

      Because you’re so right! Art and beauty are important, so STOP MOCKING THEM. Sheesh.

      I think you’re totally right…I don’t know if this is a thing in the circles you run in, but in Catholic circles we often talk about Truth, Beauty and Goodness being three of the attributes of God, and three ways in which people /find/ God, and attacking beauty is absolutely one way of attacking God.

      Yeah, okay, the fact that people are making terrible art is a reason why arts programs are underfunded…but maybe if, say, elementary art programs weren’t underfunded people would start making good art again? I don’t know, man. I have no clue what the solution is. (But I will say that all the museums I’ve gone to have at least some beautiful things in them…although the museum you described sounds like it was absolutely awful!

      But oh my goodness you’re so correct in that originality, not beauty, is now the gold standard, and that is just STUPID. VERY VERY STUPID.
      I love your last paragraph! I’ve been on the computer for far too long today, so I don’t have a good way to respond to it, but a) you’re so right, and b)…we need to awaken people’s desire for beauty, AND get out there and start making beautiful things.

      Thank you for your two cents! I did definitely want them! 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!