The Silmaril Awards 2024: Nominations Open!


*bounces into the blog*

HELLO WONDERFUL PEOPLES OF THE INTERNET! 

I am here on a Monday in September, and you know what that means?

IT'S SILMARIL TIME!!! 

*dances tiny jig*

I'm so excited to host another Silmaril this year! They're a massive highlight of the blogging year for me (even if they make my dorm room super crowded, and last year's Silmarils resulted in the PDA levels at Newman skyrocketing exponentially ;)). 

In case you've never heard of these illustrious awards, and are wondering what the heck Samantha is freaking out about, the Silmaril awards are the equivalent of the Tonys or Oscars or Golden Globes...but for fantasy characters. Awarded by Tolkien and Lewis's characters in multiple awards ceremonies at the end of the month of September, each Silmaril honors a character in one of ten categories. The best part? You guys are the ones who get to nominate and vote on the characters who you think most qualified for each award! (More on that in a moment.) 

Also, whichever blogger is hosting each character gets to host the nominated characters in their home (or in my case, dorm room) for the duration of the awards. Which last for four weeks, give or take. Last year was crazy--there were so many Devoted Couples to find room for--but wonderful, and I'm hoping this year will be along the same lines! (And not like the year I hosted the Strange Characters...*side-eye at the Cheshire Cat*.) 

In any case, I'd appreciate you not nominating anyone who'll cause massive amounts of difficulties. ;)

By now, though, you're probably wondering who, exactly, I'll be hosting in my dorm room for the next four weeks! And while the exact answer awaits your nominations, the general category is...

Drumroll please...

Wisest Counselor! 

Y'all. I am SO HYPED for this. I LOVE Wise Counselors, and I can't wait to get to meet some of my favorites! (Who y'all better nominate. *clicks pistol*) (um, for legal reasons that was a joke)

It's gonna be great. *tries to ignore the sinking feeling that she's going to have way more advice than she can handle this month* 

Aaaanyway. 

Now that I've announced that Super Important Fact, time for a few more details! 

First of all, if you're still super duper confused, please visit the official Silmaril Awards Website! They can help you out over there, for sure. 

Second of all, here are the rules. 

Rules for nominations:

  • Characters must be fantasy characters from books. This means no sci-fi, no contemporary, &c, AND no webcomics, graphic novels, movies, and so on. If the story was a book first, but then got its own webcomic, graphic novel, &c, characters from said story are eligible, but otherwise, sadly, they are not permitted. If there's a book which might be seen as sci-fi, contemporary, or something else non-fantasy but you think has enough fantasy elements to count (for instance, The Lunar Chronicles, for the sake of the Silmaril Awards, count as fantasy, though they are rather sci-fi-y), make your case in the comments, and we will certainly consider it. 

  • Tolkien's and Lewis's characters are not allowed. Given that, in the awards ceremony at the end of the month, one of Tolkien's characters (and potentially a few of Lewis's) will be presenting this award, you really don't want the conflict of interest that might result from the presenting characters being nominated for the award. Especially if they don't win the final vote. It can get ugly, y'all. 

  • An author may not nominate (or second) his or her own characters. It's just undignified and unprofessional, guys. Don't do it. However, you of course may send your hyped-up readers to nominate and/or second your characters. (Winning a Silmaril would be really good publicity, just saying.)

  • Silmarils are a one-time thing, so a character may only win a category once. Here are the characters who have already won this award:
    -Nia (The Wingfeather Saga)
    -Merlin (Arthurian Legends)
    -Puddleglum (The Chronicles of Narnia)
    -Halt (Ranger's Apprentice)
    -Remus Lupin (Harry Potter)
    -Professor Kirke (The Chronicles of Narnia)
    -Professor Hamilton (Dragons in Our Midst)
    -Aslan (The Chronicles of Narnia)

  • Rule-breakers are sent immediately over to C. O. Bonham, who's hosting the dragons this year, to be eaten. Look, I don't make the rules, I just enforce them. If you don't want to follow these rules, prepare to be a dragon's lunch. And vice versa--if you don't want to be a dragon's lunch, prepare to follow the rules. 

And now, just for the sake of clarity, here's what you do next: 

How to nominate characters:

  1. Go to the comments section!
  2. Do your best to check if the character you're nominating has already been nominated. If so, go second the character (more on that in a mo), instead, please.
  3. Say that you're nominating.
  4. List the characters you'd like to nominate, along with the book they're from. If you don't put which book they're from, you give everyone (*cough* me *cough cough*) a huge headache, and make yourself eligible to be dragon-lunch. No one wants that.
  5. Nominate as many characters as you'd like! The sky's the limit!

How to second characters:

  1. Go to the comments section!
  2. Find the nominations of the characters you love.
  3. Respond to the comment nominating said character and respond "I second [character's name]" or something along those lines. 
  4. (You may also write a separate comment listing your seconds, like you would with nominations, if you wish.)
  5. Don't second characters you nominated--like nominating your own characters, it's just rude.
  6. Second as many characters as you want (but please don't second a character twice!)
  7. The five characters with the most seconds go on to the voting round!

Before you rush off to nominate and second all the adorable couples to your hearts' content, a few dates and links to note...

Nominations are open September 2 to 6.

Voting on the five characters with the most seconds will commence September 9, and close September 13th.

Awards Ceremonies will take place one per weekday September 16 to 27!


And if you'd like to nominate and second characters in other categories, here are those links! 

Most Devoted Couple--Catherine Hawthorn
Wisest Counselor--Samantha Benedict (you are here!)


Now! Rush off to the comments section, and pour out your whole list of favorite Wise Peeps! Please! Send them all my way, and may the wisest win! :D


Comments

  1. Having all the counselors around during senior year sounds like it could be a blessing and a curse all at once. XD

    (I totally thought the pistol thing was hinting to nominate Queen’s Thief characters… ;) )

    I nominate:
    Mr. Brunner/Chiron from Percy Jackson
    Glinda from The Wizard of Oz
    Torin from The Lunar Chronicles
    I think this was done last year, but can I nominate Mrs. Who, Mrs. Which, and Mrs. Whatsit from A Wrinkle in Time as a group? If that’s allowed, then that’s what I’ll do.

    I have another character I want to nominate but already there are a million spoilers with him and I’m not done with the series yet so I don’t want anything to be revealed that I don’t know. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominate:
    Podo Helmer from The Wingfeather Saga
    Ruwach from The Prince Warriors
    Maggie Weaver from The Green Ember

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun with the Wisest Counselors!

    I nominate:
    -Laisren from The Dark King's Curse
    -Athelas from The City Between
    -Rendar from Moonscript

    ReplyDelete
  4. I nominate:

    Braylee from Shadowcast/Gateway Trilogy

    Queen Moireach from Song of the Selkies

    Bayard the Truthspeaker from Wilderking Trilogy

    Tarin from Raven Son Saga

    Beana from Tales of the Goldstone Woods

    Professor McGonagall from Harry Potter

    And my daughter wants me to add Twilight from Guardians of Ga'Hoole (if that counts as fantasy which I'm not sure it does)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I nominate Alden Vacker from Keeper of the lost Cities

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second Athelas, Beana, and Podo Helmer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I nominate Helmer, from The Green Ember Series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I nominate Mikal Migraithe from The Winter Souls series by Jennifer Knopf.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I nominate Teft from Stormlight Archive, Halt from Ranger's Apprentice, and the Magus from Queen's Thief!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I nominate,
    Sebastipole from the Monster Blood Tattoo series (aka the Foundlings Tale)
    and Cecil Dimble from That Hideous Strength (surely that counts as partly fantasy!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I second:
    Torin from the Lunar Chronicles
    Podo Helmer from the Wingfeather Saga
    Alden Vacker from Keeper of the Lost Cities

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for hosting this award!

    I'd like to nominate:

    the Grandmother from Princess and the Goblin.

    Van Helsing from Dracula.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I second Irene's Grandmother from the Princess and the Goblin
    I nominate:
    Calyssia from Minstrel's Song
    Dalmir from the Turrim Archive
    North Wind from At the Back of the North Wind
    Fritjof from Steal the Morrow
    Scelwhyn from Minstrel's Song
    The Fox from Till We Have Faces

    ReplyDelete
  14. I nominate Hoid from the Cosmere and Mandy from Ella Enchanted!

    Seconding:
    Torin
    Rendar
    Queen Moireach
    Irene's grandmother
    The Fox

    ReplyDelete
  15. I nominate Whittle Longtreader (Heather and Pickets father) from the Green Ember series

    ReplyDelete
  16. I nominate:
    Calcifer from Howls moving castle

    ReplyDelete
  17. I second Beana, Maggie Weaver, and both Helmers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I nominate Rayad from Ilyon Chronicles

    ReplyDelete
  19. I nominate Chiron from PJO and Narine from the Keeper Origins.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I second Torin, Maggie Weaver, Rendar, Professor McGonagall, the Magus, Helmer, Mandy from Ella Enchanted, and Rayad

    And I nominate Professor Hamilton from the Dragons in our Midst books, and Lord Alistair from Blades of Acktar

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Chronicler from Peleg Chronicles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (By Mathew Christian Harding) forgot to say! XD

      Delete
  22. I second Mandy from Ella Enchanted

    ReplyDelete
  23. I forgot to nominate Dar from Dragon Keeper Chronicles and Friend Rat from Oneprince (if I keep nominating him, eventually people will read that book, or so I keep telling myself lol)

    ReplyDelete
  24. From the Swordspeaker series I nominate: Kithian

    ReplyDelete
  25. I nominate
    Tuck and Angharad from the King Raven Trilogy; Brom from the Inheritance Cycle; Aethelbald from Tales of Goldstone Wood

    ReplyDelete
  26. I nominate Sakki from J F Rogers THE CURSED LANDS series.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I second Maggie Weaver from The Green Ember

    ReplyDelete
  28. And I nominate Prism from SVR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prism (who I don't think I can second) raises a margarita in your honor

      Delete
  29. I second:

    Glinda
    Torin
    Who, Which, and Whatsit
    Podo
    Maggie Weaver
    Beana (SHE HAS TO WIN SOMETIME)
    McGonagall
    Helmer
    Halt
    CECIL DIMBLE OH MY WORD YES
    The Grandmother
    Van Helsing
    North Wind
    The Fox (I LOVED THAT BOOK)
    Whittle!!!
    Calcifer

    And I nominate:

    The Old Judge (Passages)
    Anna (Passages)
    Charles Halloway (Something Wicked This Way Comes)
    Bruno the Bear (Moth and Cobweb)
    Father Lewis (The Nicholas Book)
    Lady Quack/Gloria Track (The Nicholas Book)
    Old Cass (The Nicholas Book)
    Lethe (Nine Threads of Gold by Andre Norton) (a little obscure but I loved that story!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second The Old Judge, Anna, Charles Halloway, Bruno the Bear, Father Lewis, Lady Quack/Gloria Track, Old Cass and Lethe

      Delete
  30. Seconding:
    Kythian (Swordspeaker Saga)
    Prism (SVR)
    Irene's Grandmother
    Fox (Till We Have Faces)
    Beana
    Tuck
    Angharad
    The Three Mrs. W's

    Nominating:
    Zinder (Swordspeaker Saga)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I nominate:
    John (The rise of the Anointed)
    Lana (The Herbwitches Apprentice)
    Dumbledore (Harry Potter)
    Dalmir (Turim Archive)
    I second:
    Prism (SVR)
    McGonagall (Harry Potter)
    Twilight (Gardens of Ga'hoole)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second Dumbledore!!! (🤦 Why didn't I think of him? 🤣)

      Delete
  32. I nominate:
    Chiron (Percy Jackson)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I nominate: Halt O'Carrick, the Ranger's Apprentice

    ReplyDelete
  34. I second Podo and McGonagall!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nominating Sirius Black, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Rupert Greeves, Father Tiempo (Outlaws of Time), and Nephryte (Draev Guardians).
    Seconding Dumbledore!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Seconding:

    * Torin
    * Podo Helmer
    * Athelas
    * Rendar
    * Teft
    * the Magus
    * Van Helsing
    * Fritjof
    * Hoid
    * Father Tiempo
    * Rupert Greeves
    * Nephryte

    ReplyDelete