5 Books Which Should Be Read In October

It occurred to me recently that while I did a post quite a while ago on Autumn books (reread at your own risk, that was Samantha-the-young-blogger), I'd accumulated since then a not inconsequential number of books that I think should be read during the Fall--and during October, specifically. Because there really is a category of books that should only be read during October, especially while curled up in a sweater with a mug of tea. So, it being October and all that, I thought I'd share said books, and give you an opportunity to make your TBRs even larger than they already are. Or maybe just to find something new to add to your curling-up-in-a-sweater-with-tea routine.

Thus, in no particular order:


Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers
I reread Gaudy Night this July while I was working at the goat farm, and remembered again why I shouldn't read it in the summer, although I somehow have done so both times I've read it so far (oops). It has one of the best college/scholarly aesthetics I have read in my whole entire LIFE. Harriet spends much of the book (which is far more about her than it is about Peter, even though Peter does come into the book at the end, rather importantly) at Oxford, nominally solving the mystery, but also doing research (and sleeping) in the Bodleian on an obscure author/scholar person (I am displaying my ignorance...I didn't recognize the name XD), as well as hanging out with other scholarly persons. And the entire thing just makes one feel like one wants to dive into the library stacks and sit next to a window with a sweater and a cup of tea (except that the librarians would totally yell at you for that) looking out over an autumnal landscape and doing research on an obscure subject of some kind. 

That's why one should read it in October. As for why one should read it at all (besides, obviously, the aesthetic), there are two reasons. Saint-George Wimsey, and Lord Peter Wimsey. If those two are not enough for you, I shall add:
-That chess set
-Salutary and perfectly correct use of Latin for the right reasons
-Boating 
-Harriet beginning to know her own mind (though it takes a while)
-Harriet being "Aunt Harriet"-ed
-Peter & Harriet working together
-A bunch of women being scholars but also being women (which means there's tea and thinly disguised mothering involved)
-A mystery with a twist that, while small, tends to take one by surprise as it changes the entire situation


The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud
I am not a person who reads (or watches) horror, thrillers, or ghost stories in any way, shape, or form. I used to consistently leave campfires while ghost stories were being told, and I'm still often tempted to do so. And yet, somehow, maybe because the Lockwood & Co. series is technically MG, or because I've gotten older, or for some other reason, I'm okay with these. Although, I have only been reading one per year, because while they are awesome, I still need my creepy stories in moderation. The worldbuilding of ghost hunting in this series is fascinating and just creepy enough to make one think twice about reading them before bed. Thus, perfect for October, it being the month of All Hallow's Eve and all that.

As for why it should be read in general: Lockwood is the young version of Siegfried Farnon. And if you need more reasons:
-Found family among young ghosthunters
-Drama engendered by the fact that as someone gets older they can't see ghosts
-A talking skull
-A plot that while it has centrality is made up of many ghost-hunting expeditions
-An absolutely flawless atmosphere for each of the ghost-hunting exploits


The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope
I just reread this one this past summer, too...what is it with me and poor choices in terms of the season in which I reread books? Because...sheesh. I really should have saved this one for October. The entire book basically leads up to All Hallow's Eve, on which Spoilery Stuff Happens (it may involve human sacrifice...just the kind of creepy that you need for your October, amiright?), and thus the climax is in October, with all of the amazing autumn aesthetics that brings. Also, a whole lot of it is set in a faerie kingdom of a kind, which, again, the kind of creepy one needs. (It's really not that creepy. Not nearly so much as The Screaming Staircase. I promise.) AND it's a retelling of Tam Lin. Most of which seems very summer-y (Jane is picking roses, after all), but the end of which is both creepy and autumnal (learn the meaning of the line "Ay at the end of seven years/we pay a tiend to hell", and just see if a shiver doesn't run down your spine). 

And if that isn't enough reason to read it this October, some more reasons to read it in general:
-It being a retelling of Tam Lin, which is not a commonly retold ballad/legend/fairytale/thing
-The setting--perfectly proper for the time period
-Kate being a delightfully stubborn heroine without being Strong And Independent
-Kate not knowing her own mind
-Kate everything
-Christopher being Grumpy but with soft spots
-Christopher sacrificing himself
-Christopher being the literal best
-The sheer amount of SASS that is involved


The Raconteur's Commonplace Book by Kate Milford
I love Kate Milford. It's official. She can pretty much do no wrong at this point. And TRCB is extra awesome because it's actually a book that's referenced as a book in some of her other books! I.e., she wrote a book from out of her books. It contains a series of stories told by travelers who have been stranded in an inn by a strange storm and flood. Each of the storytellers has a secret to tell (or keep), many of the stories are told around the fire, and not everything is as it seems...and perhaps there's a thread which holds each of the stories together. But basically: everyone is cozied up together telling stories/folktales from a fictional reality that are often a little bit creepy or strange (would it really be a Kate Milford book without a story about the devil making a wager? I don't think so). This makes it a perfect book to cozy up with by a fire (or at least with a sweater and a cup of tea) yourself. (Though, again, I read it in the summer. Yes, I am an idiot sometimes.)

More reasons to read it:
-Unreliable narrators aplenty
-A little girl and her card castles
-Mysterious music boxes
-A theme of dancing as being a way of learning about someone
-Finally getting to hear what happens in the stories Milo reads in Greenglass House (and Ghosts of Greenglass House)
-People who aren't what they seem
-A mystery that one can solve as one goes along
-A tad of found family woven in there
-Stories that are all unique, and each of which grab you and hold you



Jane Eyre
by Charlotte Bronte
Just tell me that reading about the moors doesn't get you feeling like it's autumn, finally. (I have moors-means-it's-autumn syndrome badly enough that I'd consider reading The Secret Garden in the fall just for the moors. Heresy, I know.) But in addition to moors, Charlotte Bronte also includes a slightly dank and depressing manor house, implied fog, gloomy schools, and creepy attics. Basically, the definition of a gothic aesthetic, which is something that I, at least, associate with autumn. (But, you guessed it, I reread this one this summer. *dies*) Anyway. This might not be the book to read in October if you have problems with Seasonal Affective Disorder (aka Seasonal Depression) because it *is* kind of dark and gloomy, but if you're in a climate where October is far too warm (*glares at Illinois*) (although to be fair, this October is doing okay so far. Ish.) this could be a good bet to get into a better October-y mood. Along with pumpkins. Would definitely recommend acquiring a pumpkin. And if you can roast it and eat it by simply cutting it in half and scooping out the innards from each half with a spoon, disconcerting your friends at the same time...all the better. 

Okay, back to why Jane Eyre should be read (or reread), even if not in October:
-A heroine with moral fiber rather than Strength and Independence
-Excellent redemption arc(s)
-Beautiful writing (it is a classic, after all)
-Many layers to think critically about
-"Reader, I married him"
-A crazy twist in the middle (for those of us who haven't been corrupted by SparkNotes, &c)
-If you haven't already, you can let me know what you think about my ideas about Mr. Rochester from this post. XD (#shamelessselfpromo)



How many of these have you read? Have I convinced you to read any of them? What are your favorite October-y books?

Comments

  1. Fantastic choices! I've recently read The Greenglass house, so The Raconteur's Commonplace Book is definitely on my list now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you enjoy RCB. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!