Why Blogs Are (Still) Important

As we enter the new year, and everyone is making resolutions and planning out what they'd like to do and who they'd like to become this year, I thought it'd be a good time to publish this post, which has been in my drafts for a while! Just in case you were thinking about stopping blogging...you shouldn't. :) Happy New Year!

I was thinking a bit ago, sparked by a conversation with my dad, about why I blog. Why blogs are still around, even if the blogosphere has died slightly. 

Sometimes it seems like the whole world has switched to social media. Because I am a bit of a weirdo, I sometimes read either defunct blogs or the extremely archives of modern "blogs" (only posted to a couple of times a year) by Catholic bloggers, especially moms. (I love birth stories. Sue me.) From that occasional pursuit, I know there was a heyday of blogging in the early 2000s, maybe even up until the early 2010s. (My mom had a blog. I cannot for the life of me picture her blogging anymore.) But these days, most of those are not kept up anymore, because the people who blogged there are now on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook. 

The major difference, in my opinion?

The character limit, and the social pressures which go with it.

Instagram: 2200 characters
Twitter: 280 characters

(Facebook does allow longer posts, but it's more of a "dying social media" at this point, the domain of older people. And this is not even taking into account Snapchat, which barely allows for words at all.) 

Even within that character limit, especially on Instagram, a lot of the time people will just keep scrolling and not take the time to stop and read a longer caption. People try to distill, to put as much as possible into as little space as possible. Attention spans are shorter, and people want to capture that attention before it's gone--maybe in just a few seconds. 

But the thing is, there's only so much you can distill something before it loses something. There are many merits to writing longer pieces--clarity, less likelihood of being misunderstood, a broader understanding and exploration, &c. 

And even better, bloggers are keeping up a long tradition.

When you blog (or when you read a blog), you are supporting the continuation of the history of essays.

*covers ears from magnitude of the groans*

Wait, guys! Before you leave, suffering from a resurgence of PTSD from the number of essays you had to write for high school (and/or college)...I'm not talking about the five-paragraph, bore-your-socks off, die-whenever-you-try-to-write-one essays. (or rather, bore-your-socks-off except if you're Eomer, who managed to turn a five-paragraph essay into an entire ROAST of Walden, and I'm still not over it) (and no, he did not get a good grade XD)

(Although to be fair, those kinds of essays are excellent practice for both blogging and college writing, and I am super grateful to my high school literature teacher who taught me the practices of excising "to be" verbs, considering sentence openers, structuring things correctly, and writing introductions and conclusions, aka my nemeses.) 

No. I'm talking about essays in the tradition of Chesterton. He wrote over 7,000 essays in his lifetime, which according to Fr. DD, meant that for a lot of his adult life, he was writing one most days. These were often originally published by newspapers, and they weren't just your run-of-the-mill editorials, or the kind of essays you'd see nowadays. They attacked aspects of modern life. They critiqued his contemporaries. They talked about books &c, whether by modern authors or by ones deceased. They brought up complicated matters of theology. They were defenses. Oh, and they were absolutely brilliant, often flipping ideas on their heads, turning things inside out, and making the reader think. (I haven't read nearly enough of them, because I am a boring slacker. XD But someday!)

Now, I am not claiming to be Chesterton. Ha! Far from it. I will never evereverever be able to even aspire to his levels of intellectual buttkickery. However, I will say that I see quite a few similarities between blogging and his essays.

1. Blogs are public forums, rather like newspapers used to be (but aren't as much anymore), meant to encourage thoughtful discussion of the ideas presented (but, I mean, also fangirling. XD).
2. Blogs generally are posted to on a regular basis, even if not a daily basis, similar to many newspapers.
3. Blog posts (at least, mine, and those of a lot of people whose blogs I follow) often talk about books (whether to critique them or praise them), matters of philosophy or theology, things that are pertinent to modern life (whether an attack or a critique or a praise), and defense of things.
4. Blog posts often (but not always) set out to prove a point. 
5. Blog posts have a logical form, with a beginning, middle, and end, whether that's of an argument or a book list.
6. Blog posts, even if they're not setting out to prove a point, are meant to make people think and/or act, whether that's thinking about whether women can enjoy action movies or deciding if I should read a book on this list

In addition to all of that, back to the character limit of social media. Chesterton's essays aren't excessively long, but they're nothing to sneeze at, falling, from the ones I looked at, in the 4000-to-6000-character range, twice to three times as long as an Instagram caption, and around the length of many of my blog posts (though I tend to be on the high end of the range and towards 10000 characters). They don't feel all that long, and yet, they're just long enough to get his point across, and would lose something by being compressed. 

Bloggers, in addition to upholding the noble art of essay writing, are doing something which I find almost more valuable. They're not bowing to the dictates of a world which tells us that we need to compress, consume more social media in smaller chunks, work faster, smaller, go, go, go. They're not compressing their thoughts into 280, or even 2200, characters. They're taking time to think, let their thoughts and opinions and stories expand, and put that out for the world to see. And the readers are doing something almost more important--they're taking time to read and engage with such posts, in a world which tells them to just keep scrolling. They're taking time to think about the post, to comment, to maybe even have a discussion. Which is a great gift to a blogger who has put their sometimes scarily long thoughts out into the world and are worried that the world they have put them out into is on that no longer has the time to care. 

So, I hope that there are always bloggers, just like I hope that there will always be cherished readers of blogs. Because a longer attention span, a care for other people's thoughts, and the tradition of essay writing are all very much worth preserving. 


What do you think? Have you ever thought of blogging as being like essay writing? Did you enjoy writing essays for school, or no? Have you read any of Chesterton's essays? Do you have any New Years plans? :)

Comments

  1. I love this post so much, Sam! I've never compared blogging to the essay-writing tradition, but that is such a good point — there are so many similarities! *wants to comment on all your points*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nicole! That's just what I want to hear--that I've made people think about something new. :)

      Delete
  2. I saw this title and got really excited and your post lived up to my excitement. I don't know why I'm passionate about this topic, but apparently I am. XD

    I guess...see, I love essays. Chesterton and E. B. White are my two favorite essayists and I've loved them for years. What I've read of Orwell's essays I also really like. I think of C. S. Lewis and Dorothy L. Sayers as essayists, even though maybe most of their "essays" were originally spoken addresses, but I and all humans of the modern world really only engage with those works as essays. And then there are all the random essays by random people I've read and can't even remember but have impacted me. What you say about essays is very true and it's why I've always loved the form. (Which is not to say I liked writing essays for school, because No.) I've thought about why I like blogging and wouldn't do anything else--it's partly because, as a writer, one writes--but I never connected it to the essay tradition or my love thereof?? Cool.

    Also, I like your thoughts on the value of blogging in a world of tiny attention spans. And that is EXACTLY why long comments are such a joy to receive, isn't it?? I get that people don't always have the ability (I don't always have the ability), but there's something wonderful about a long comment. After all, we put our thoughts out there because we want people to engage with them so we can engage with them in return. Which is a rather important part of culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad to make you excited, and more glad that the post lived up to your excitement! It's been sitting in my drafts for a while, because I was nervous about the reception of it, but it seems like people are liking it, so.

      Ooh, yes, E. B. White is a really fun essayist! He gets referenced a fair amount in Landscape Architecture (Stanley White, his brother, was an early landscape architect and grad from our program), and I finally read One Man's Meat a bit ago, and really enjoyed it! Essays really are an impactful writing form...and hopefully blogs are, too. I'm so glad I could connect the dots for you! (It's funny, I also hated writing essays for school in high school, but now that I'm in college, it's one of my favorite things. Go figure. XD)

      That REALLY is why long comments are such a joy! I've thought about writing a post about why long comments are a joy, and decided against it, because people might feel guilty about not leaving longer comments when they can't, and that's fine, but a long comment really is such a gift to the author! Not only is it fun to reply to, but it also means that someone has actually *thought* about what we've said, which is all we want anyway, right? ;)

      Delete
  3. Huzzah!!!!!!!!! This post was brilliant!!! Yes!!! *heartyapplause*

    "(I love birth stories. Sue me.)" XD XD XD I've gone on a kick like that a time or two.

    I'm so incredibly glad there are still bloggers and readers although they're much fewer than when I started blogging in 2014. (Whoa!! I'm coming up on 10 years next year in July!! :O That's crazy!) You are so right about everything in this post. Social media is a beast of short attention spans and I really don't ever take the time to read blog-like posts on IG. I much prefer to just see people's photos with a short but sufficient explanation. (Or fan videos of Anne & Gil. <3 *swoons*)

    I sort of thought of blog posts like essays for school although not in so many words. But I have tried to use the skills I learned writing papers for school on my blog posts, so yes. I didn't hate essays, but I wasn't chomping at the bit to do them either. But that was basically all I did for science in 9th grade so by the time I was done with that year, I was ready to crank them out when needed. Still a process though. XD

    Thank you again for this and for your wonderful blog! Here's to lots more blogging in the new year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much, Sarah! I'm really glad you like it!

      Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

      Me, too! I'm not sure I realize that you'd been blogging for so long, but that's really cool! I guess blogs and social media are good for different things--blogging certainly isn't the best for sharing pictures--but I do wish that people hadn't basically exchanged blogging for social media, because I think that's missing the point.

      Yes, the skills are so transferable! I also wasn't the biggest fan of essays, but I could totally get one done. That's what practice will do for you, I guess. :)

      You're so welcome! I'm glad that this little post has been such a success. :) Hear, hear!

      Delete
    2. Aw, yes, I started in 2014 over at www.homeschooler4jesus.blogspot.com after having followed a friend and her mom's blogs for a while. It seemed so fun and I'm so glad I got into it.

      Blessings! <3

      Delete
    3. That's so neat! I'm glad you go into it, too. :)

      Delete
  4. Bravo! I've been blogging for 20 years, since blogs were a very new medium, and I hope to still be blogging 20 years hence, for many of the reasons you put forth here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hamlette! I had no idea you'd been blogging for 20 years--that's amazing! I hope that you're still blogging 20 years from now, too!

      Delete
  5. Ack, I love this post. I love it.

    It was quite boggling to me when, several years ago, the concept of a not-painful-to-write-and-boring-to-read essay was presented to me. Essays can be interesting?? WHAT?? (That was how my brain reacted.) I am pretty sure it was C.S. Lewis that opened my eyes on the subject, though I don't specifically remember.

    I don't know for sure if I've consciously thought of blogging as similar to essay writing? The idea is not unfamiliar, so perhaps I have. But you make some great points. It kind of convicts me about organizing my posts better, haha. XD

    I hadn't really thought about blogging vs. other social media kind of stuff, since Twitter and Instagram are pretty far off my radar...but I like what you had to say about that too. Our culture really has a rapidly dwindling attention span, and we should be fighting against that, I think.

    Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sponge!

      I know, I didn't really know there were different kinds of essays until...college, really? (I mean, I'd read Lewis, but I didn't think of his things as essays, per se.) And then I discovered the personal essay (for admissions), and funny essays, and more freeform essays...there are a lot of fun kinds of essays that are not taught in school...and maybe should be?

      I'm glad you liked my points! It's sort of intuitive and sort of not to think of posts like essays...But that doesn't necessarily mean you're posts have to be more organized! Goodness knows many famous essayists probably had messy essays. :)

      We really do need to fight that dwindling attention span, both for ourselves and for others!

      Delete
  6. Sam, I don't have many thoughts on this lovely post aside from agreements and 'heart eyes', as the kids might say, but I just want to say thanks. I'm so new to the blogosphere compared to a lot of you lovely folks, and sometimes I worry it's pointless to put time into it because it seems to be dying out, in a way. So it's always good to see that it's still alive and well in all you dears, and that engaging in each others thoughts is still worth it. So yeah. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you're most welcome! And I'm so glad it garnered a "heart eyes" from you. ;) It's such a hopeful thing that people (like you!) are still joining the blogosphere, so that even if we're a vanishing breed, it's not all attrition, but there's maybe a little bit of sustenance and growth!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!