Good, Better, Best: World War II Fiction

The picture for this header is actually from my visit to Auschwitz. 

I was thinking to myself the other day that it'd been a while since I'd done a Good, Better, Best post, but that I should definitely think about doing another, because it's something that's sorta unique to Bookshire. And then the thought "well, you're read a lot of WWII historical fiction" popped into my head, immediately followed by a list at least four books long of WWII books I'd read recently, and I resolved that this post would get written.

I feel like everyone and their best friend is obsessed with World War II these days (which is part of the reason why I feel safe writing this post, lol) and it's not exactly a novel topic, but...I really do read quite a bit of WWII historical fiction. All you really need to do is say "set during WWII", and I am immediately on board. I'm not entirely sure why--maybe it's because of my obsession with British authors who were writing during WWII, or because of my Eastern European Jewish heritage, or because I live in a place where the Japanese American internment camps were a very close reality, or because my great grandfather fought in WWII in Italy, or for any number of reasons. But the fact remains: I am slightly obsessed, and even if that's a popular thing to be and I don't feel Special in this...my obsession will remain. I am not apologizing.

In the spirit of full disclosure, most of these books I remember really well, either because they were memorable, or because I reread them regularly, or because I read them pretty recently, but there are a couple which I remember parts of distinctly, but my overall recollection is fuzzy. For those, I'm using my previous review/the synopses to reconstruct the parts I don't remember as well. :)

In addition, I'm narrowing it down to JUST fiction, because I've also read a whole bunch of nonfiction or autobiographies, &c that I could include, but I don't have space! (I could do a different GBB for those, if y'all would like!)

Oh, and in this post, I'm adding a new category to GBB! I was thinking that there were a couple of books in the category of WWII fiction that I'd like to actively warn people off of...and thus the category of "Not Great" was born.


Not Great

The Huntress
by Kate Quinn

This one frustrated me, because it could have been! so good! and yet! the author felt the need to ruin it! I just read it a month or so ago, so the frustration is fresh. The setup: widower with a photographer daughter marries a German refugee with a daughter who his daughter suspects to be a Nazi + tiny Nazi hunting agency run by two best friends attacks case of the murderer of one of the men's brother + (flashback) Russian woman pilot tries to make it in the Nachthexen. Doesn't that sound like it should be amazing?? It really should.
But no. The author feels the need to throw in:
-Far too many and too detailed bedroom scenes (which I skipped)
-A romance between two of the Nachthexen who call each other "sistren", i.e. sisters. I was so ready for it to be another fantabulous female friendship like Code Name Verity (more on that in a mo), and then the author went and RUINED it.
-Don't get me started on the bedroom scenes/kissing scenes/whatever between those two (which I skipped).
Anyway. The plot was awesome, and many parts were Absolutely Hilarious, and yet, I ended up severely disappointed.


Everyone Brave is Forgiven
by Chris Cleave

Unfortunately, it seems like my latest WWII fiction reading is just destined to be subpar, because this is another one that I just read recently--spring semester of this year, in fact. It seemed like it was going to be so incredibly excellent--after all, it starts off with a young woman heading straight off to the War Office to sign up for duty the moment war is declared and then being assigned to a school. The beginning is replete with tongue-in-cheek narration, and laugh-out-loud moments. I think what originally hooked me so hard was the writing style, actually, which doesn't happen all that often. But that's not all! It's set in London during the Blitz! There are dashing young men involved!
Unfortunately, however, it quickly became clear that the characters were going to make Very Poor Romantic Choices, which led to a multitude of Skip-Necessary Scenes (which I honestly think are anachronistic?? and extremely irritating). AND the plot was really ill-balanced. And ALSO the second half was unnecessarily dark. AND LASTLY there was a love triangle that doesn't lead to any character development at all. So. Not a huge fan. Full review HERE.



Good

Almost Autumn
by Marianne Kaurin

This book was translated from Norwegian, and as y'all may know, I have a theory that all books translated from Scandinavian languages are amazing. This book didn't quite bear out that theory, but it was still enjoyable. It's set in Norway, which is unique among all of the WWII novels I've read. It's also well-written and plotted, with the dilemma of the "average" non-Jewish citizen in the face of the creeping Nazi crackdown on Jews being portrayed alarmingly accurately. However, I didn't think that the main character's emotions were shown realistically, and there were some threads which weren't tied up at the end, as well as some events at the end which felt just depressing and pointless. Perhaps that's a stylistic choice, as well as being accurate for the period, but it's a YA novel, so I wasn't expecting that.


Number the Stars
by Lois Lowry
Lois Lowry is an excellent MG-YA writer. This story of a family in occupied Denmark who ends up taking care of one of their daughters' Jewish best friend, while not anything dramatic, is a solid story of bravery in the small things, doing the right thing even when it's hard, and bravery being not the domain of the strong, but of the weak, as Chesterton would say. (Wow, that was a very run-on sentence. XD) It's not long, but very memorable--Lowry has a knack for small images, like a necklace clutched in a palm, a photo torn out of a baby album, a handkerchief in a basket--that linger. My only complaint about it would be that the plot feels a bit uneven, and the stakes, while high, don't always seem high, if that makes sense.


Rose Under Fire
by Elizabeth Wein
I loved Code Name Verity (more on that in a second) so much that I decided (perhaps inadvisedly) that I wanted to read the sequel. Which was good, and normally I would've enjoyed it, but at the time, it just wasn't CNV. Even now, looking back, I don't think it was as good as CNV. But that doesn't mean it's bad. In fact, I think it's quite a good book. There are more female pilots, and Ravensbruck (which is horrible, obviously, but am I the only one who finds reading books set in concentration camps fascinating, albeit also horrifying?), and Maddie & Jamie cameos, and groups of women supporting each other, and Anna Engel, and writing that is so good that it lets you absolutely see the settings and scenarios.


The Morning Gift
by Eva Ibbotson
I hadn't had any idea that Eva Ibbotson, author of The Secret of Platform Thirteen and The Ogre of Oglefort, had written anything other than MG fiction until I found this book randomly one day. It's a complex romance/coming of age story set in both Austria and England, the heroine a young musical woman who is in a relationship with a rather selfish young man before the war plows up the world and she ends up having to emigrate to England. Ruth is only eighteen, and while she's old for her age in many ways, she also acts her age in others, a writerly balancing act that's lovely and impressive. All the other characters are also well-drawn and draw on the reader's affections. (Especially Quin. ;)) In addition to the characters being realistic, the setting is amazing--highly visualizable. In recalling it to write up this blurb for the post, I've made myself want to read it again! (The one thing I will note is that there is a certain amount of innuendo, and some fade-to-black-ish scenes. Be warned.) Full review HERE.


Assignment in Brittany
by Helen MacInnes
It's been a while since I read this one, but I still remember that my favorite part was when one of the characters was sneaking across the tide flats [?] to an island city [Mont-Saint-Michel?] in the moonlight, with the entire exploit described so well that you can see it. It's an image that has stuck with me. Other highlights of the book include: an honorable English spy-person pretending to be a Frenchman, who's pretty much his doppelganger, wonderful (and not-so-wonderful) townspeople who get involved, and the love with which the countryside of Brittany is described. Also, I love the way that, since this book was written during the WWII era, it captures the uncertainty of the time, the off-balance-ness...since no one knew who was going to win the war!


Within These Lines
by Stephanie Morrill
This book is unique in that it's both about interracial love and the Japanese internment camps, a topic not covered as much, even though it was absolutely an atrocity that the US committed and should be talked about more. By virtue of being about said internment camps, the book is set on the West Coast, the only one of these books set on this side of the country, which endears it to me. :) Evalina and Taichi, the two MCs, are endearing, especially Taichi, who is the sweetest, and the struggles they went through were realistic, although not without hope. (I really need to reread this one--it's been too long!)



Better

The Enigma Game
by Elizabeth Wein
While Rose Under Fire disappointed me a bit after Code Name Verity, The Enigma Game didn't, either because it'd been longer since I'd read Code Name Verity last, or because it was just a little better in general, or because it was a PREQUEL and JAMIE was in it (more squealing about him to come) and so was another spoilery character who I ADORE. Plus, there were Peter Pan references aplenty, and a scared but brave young woman, and a Stabby German who turns all cinnamon roll-y where music is involved. And also, an older woman who was a central character, and why are old(er) people not central in fiction more often? I always love it when they are! And friendship! There's a lot of friendship! The one thing that marred this book a little bit for me was that it was from multiple POVs, and one of the POVs just dragged a bit for me, as often happens with the multiple POV thing. Full review HERE.


Memories of Glass
by Melanie Dobson
This book is one of the rare books written in two time periods where I was equally invested in both time periods. Which was honestly kind of strange, but definitely memorable. (Usually, I'm more invested in the present, because that's what an author starts with, but there are children being rescued in the past narrative, so maybe that's what sucked me in? XD) It was both historical fiction and a mystery, which I enjoyed. In the past, it's set in Holland, a slightly less common setting for WWII HF and involves a beautifully described "backdrop" to the action of a set of friends rescuing Jewish children. And in the present, it involves the unravelling of a carefully kept family secret. What's not to like? Full review HERE.


Nick of Time
by Ted Bell
This is one that's been on our family shelves for a while, and which I reread fairly often as a kid. It's unique among the books on this list in that it's actually a historical fiction/sci-fi crossover that involves time travel, pirates, u-boats, fantastic butlers who make friends with small girls, young men with chivalrous heroes, a father who'll do Literally Anything for his children, and a small island in the English Channel. As a younger person, I found it a little creepy, but I don't think I would if I were to reread it now--I think I'd simply find it delightful.


The London House
by Katherine Reay
Here's another book written in two time periods! I didn't find the time periods quite as balanced in my regard as in Memories of Glass, but it was still quite a bit better in terms of me liking both than many split time-period books. As with Memories of Glass, a woman discovers that her family has been keeping something secret/under the radar for many decades. However, in this case, it seems like it's a horrible secret. But as she and the man who originally discovered the secret investigate, not everything is as it seems--multiple times. This all results in a very twisty plot, with a lot of emotional ups and downs, and a fascinating exploration of humans and human nature.


All The Light We Cannot See
by Anthony Doerr
ATLWCS feels like a crystal, or maybe a mobile hanging from the ceiling, or maybe a shell, like those that are so important to the book--delicately balanced, brittle, beautiful in evanescence. It feels weirdly like a sunlight filled room, which is strange given some of the subject material. Perhaps it's like a sunlight-filled room wherein a tragedy happened, or one of the houses during the siege, with morning sunlight streaming through the window. Anyway. That was unnecessarily poetic. I really enjoyed it--I always find books with blind characters interesting, and Werner's story, what it would be like growing up in steadily Nazi-fying Germany, was fascinating and a little shiver-inducing (like a boiled frog). As well, the writing was excellent, and so was the story, with all of the little threads which tied the MCs together, however unlikely. I loved, also, the little details the author included, especially the little sensory details for Marie-Laure, and the nooks and crannies of the city. And Marie-Laure's relationship with her father! So good! I did find the ending a bit depressing, though, I will say, and it seemed like it invalidated a lot of the book. But I think that's part of the point.


The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak
This is one of the ones whose plot I really don't remember as well, given that I read it at least 3 years ago, maybe longer, but I still remember the delighted shiver that went through me when I realized that Death was the narrator. And I still remember the way the Death gave the ending away, and yet, I, as the reader, was still rooting for the ending to be different, for tragedy to be averted. And I think, for the masterfulness of the narrative, and the impact that it made on me, that it earned a spot on the "better" list. :)



Best

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
by C. S. Lewis
Okay, okay, something that's mostly set in an imaginary fantasy kingdom would probably not be most people's first pick for WWII fiction. BUT the reason the four children have to go live with Professor Kirke is because of the Blitz, so I think it counts. Thus, it gives a perspective on Operation Pied Piper that I don't think any of the other books on this list have. Even if their departure from London isn't a big aspect of the book, besides kicking everything off, it also looms in the background, and the fact that the children's parents aren't around is what causes Peter to need to take on more of a leadership role, which in turn leads to some of the conflict with Edmund.
Anywho. If you haven't read LWW for any other reason (i.e. it being one of the best children's books ever written, as well as one of the best allegorical stories ever written, and being by C. S. Lewis, for all love)...maybe you'll read it as a WWII novel. ;)


The Chosen
by Chaim Potok
I don't know if I would have remembered that The Chosen was set during WWII if I hadn't just reread it. But it is, and even if the war itself doesn't take up a lot of page- or thought-time, the aftermath--the mounting death toll numbers as the extent of the Holocaust was discovered and the fierce debates between Zionists and anti-Zionists--has a huge impact on the plot.
But, as you may have gathered, it's much more than a WWII novel. It's the story of a friendship, of two boys who start out as bitter enemies during a baseball game, and slowly come to love each other with a philia (friend-love) which can survive almost anything. It's the story of a father and a son who love each other but have a hard time in their relationship because of how the father has decided to raise his son. It's the story of two Jewish boys growing up. And I know that probably doesn't sound like the most enthralling thing ever...but it is, I promise. Full review HERE.


Code Name Verity
by Elizabeth Wein
I feel like I've talked about this book to the point that everyone is tired of me nattering on about it. BUT just in case there is someone in some remote corner of the blogosphere who HASN'T heard me natter on about how much I love it...CODE NAME VERITY IS AWESOME. Female pilots, a pair of woman best friends (so rare and so precious in fiction!) who are there for each other through thick and thin and know exactly how to support each other and love each other in a super philia way, fantastic narration, characters so vivid you feel like you know them, bravery, the indomitability of the human spirit, the Craig Castle Irregulars, and JAMIE, my chivalrous, sweet, wonderful Jamie. The ending isn't quite in line with Catholic morality, BUT it is good food for thought. Full review HERE.


Lovely War
by Julie Berry
This book is narrated by Greek gods. Yes, really. And it's phenomenal. The way the voices vary based on who is narrating! The differing priorities and reliability of the narrators! The framing narrative! And that's all before the actual story, which is plotted phenomenally and twistily, and the characters, who are excessively lovable, ESPECIALLY James (what a gentleman), and the ships, which are very, very shippable. It's set at the front in France, I believe, and all of that is very well done. I think one of my favorite parts about it, and one of the things I remember best, is the theme of agape in romantic relationships, and the beauty of unconditional love (which I know is vague but going into it further would entail spoilers). Full review HERE.


Enemy Brothers
by Constance Savery
This book is one that Megan Chappie has squealed about at length at least once, and I just read a semester or two ago. If you need a general endorsement: I was so engrossed in reading it while I walked that I forgot to swipe my meal card when I went into the cafeteria and had to be yelled at by both a cafeteria worker AND one of my best friends before I realized that anything was wrong. It's just that engrossing. Or at least, that's my opinion. It's about a young airman named Dym, whose baby brother was stolen many years ago, but who has never stopped looking for him, and who comes across a German captive who he becomes convinced is his brother. The story is equally Dym's and Tony/Max's. Ultimately, it's a story of love, and how it can grow, and it is JUST SO LOVELY. Also, it includes a whole lot of time with Dym's many siblings, and the large family depiction is incredibly accurate and enjoyable. And the way Savery shows Average England during wartime...also very well done. Just...the whole thing is fantastic and perfect, and I will be shoving it at any children I have as soon as they are ready for it.




What's your favorite historical period to read fiction about? How many of these have you read? Do you have any more WWII historical fiction recs for me?

Comments

  1. I've never seen Nick of Time mentioned by anyone else, so YAY! I love it. Read it as a kid, and it's always stuck with me ever since.

    So many of the titles you listed here are amazing as well!!! I really want to read The Lovely War--I keep seeing it everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I've never seen anyone else mention it either, let alone come across someone who'd read it! Yay indeed! It's such a good one.

      Ooh yes, Lovely War is excellent! Would highly recommend. :)

      Delete
  2. Enemy Brothers looks kind of amazing?? And I just looked it up and my library actually HAS it??? *resolves to read it very soon*
    I love Jamie. I know you know this because I say it at every opportunity, but gosh I love him so much. What a dear sweet chivalrous man.
    I remember being similarly disappointed by Rose Under Fire. I wonder if I would like it better if I read it again without having just read Code Name Verity. (Because let's face it, that's a hard act to follow)
    My Sponge sister read All the Light We Cannot See a few years ago, and I've heard it's very good and part of me wants to read it, but I also hear it's terribly depressing and my sister was lowkey traumatized? I am scared??
    I honestly love how The Chosen is a book that isn't really about the war, but showed the fallout/far-reaching effects of it. So good.
    Okay, but also The Book Thief is so excellent. And The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe of COURSE. What a masterpiece. And also HEARNE.
    I've had Lovely War in the back of my mind as something I need to read every since you reviewed it a while ago. But...I think it fell out the back of my mind and I forgot about it, so this was a good reminder. I really do need to read it because framing narratives and twisty plots and lovable gentlemen characters??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word, your library has it?? Lucky! I had to move almost all the way across the country to find a library that has it, lol.

      Jamie. What a dear. What a wonderful fellow. I might need to do some rereading to get my Jamie fix...
      I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way about RUF! CNV really is a hard act to follow.

      Yes, All the Light We Cannot See is definitely depressing, and the ending is rather traumatizing, but it's SO BEAUTIFUL. I don't regret reading it.

      I know! The period right after WWII is a really under-written-about time, I think, and getting to see all of the upheaval and Zionism and all is fascinating.

      Yes, yes, yes!!

      Ooh yes, you really do need to read it if you like those tropes! It's so good! (James is, if I recall correctly, almost but not quite as awesome as Jamie. So. ;))

      Delete
  3. This is a highly interesting post! As it is, I seriously recommend The Castle on the Hill by Elizabeth Goudge. It was set, written and published during the Blitz, and – like all her books – is absolutely stellar. She was a brilliant, underread and underrated writer, and her war book is exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ooh, I'm adding The Castle on the Hill directly to my reading list! I love Elizabeth Goudge! (I've only read four of her books, but she is definitely an underread and underrated writer, and I'm happy to read more of her work!!)

      Delete
    2. Oh, would you mind telling me which four? I have read most of her novels, with a few still to go. I absolutely adore her and I am always so glad when I find others who do the same!

      Delete
    3. Her Damarosehay trilogy and The Little White Horse. :) Those are probably the most common/'basic' books of hers, but I enjoyed them!

      Delete
  4. Okay Sam I feel like a serious failure because I have been reading all your posts but not commenting on a one and I just...wish I had been getting to commenting. I assure you they've all been lovely and entertaining and I've had thoughts on all of them. XD I just don't remember what the thoughts are now. It's hard to know whether or not to go through backlog and comment on your friend's posts y'know?
    Regardless, this post greatly excites me, because I've been wanting to get into some good WW2 fiction and this seems like an opportune situation as a result. I have not read a single one of these, but I plan to read some now, for certain. Have you ever read The Winged Watchman? That was my favorite WW2 novel as a kid (and really still, since I haven't read many others, and it's so delightfully good and Catholic, y'know).
    Anyways, I think that's all. I need to get my commenting game back on ASAP so I guess it's starting today. :D Also, I can't remember if I already said this but I love your new blog design. It makes me feel so happy for some reason. 10/10. God bless you Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Grim, that's okay! I do that with your blog often, too! I'm glad you've found all my recent mosts lovely and entertaining...but it's totally fine if you don't want to go back and comment on them! Time is at a premium, as I well know...
      I'm so happy to have introduced you to some WWII fiction that you haven't read yet! And it seems like the post came at the right time, too--how fortuitous! I haven't read The Winged Watchman, but I'm adding it to my list--I sure haven't read many Catholic WWII novels, and I have a feeling that I need it in my life. :)
      Thank you! The new blog design makes me happy, too. ;)
      Good to see you, Grim! God bless you, too.

      Delete
  5. Yup, Mont Saint-Michel was the city (in AiB). That scene always sticks with me, too. (Granted, most of the scenes stick with me, considering I've read the book...I don't even know how many times; but that one has from the beginning. It's so unbelievably, quietly vivid.)

    Taichi!! I haven't thought about him in forever. He IS such a darling. I didn't like the book very well, but there is forever a soft spot in my heart for Taichi. Especially because...he reminds me of Japanese-Americans I know. Who, granted, didn't go through what Taichi did, but their grandparents and great-grandparents did, and we've talked about it, and I admire them SO MUCH, because Taichi's gentleness and willingness to forgive seems to be a recurring theme among all of them as well?? Not sure I would be that gracious in their place.

    I don't think I realized The Chosen was set during WWII???? I enjoy home front stories a lot (even WWII, I think; I think that's why The Enigma Game got me, that and Jamie), so not that I didn't already desperately want to read it, but now I do more.

    Okay, do you think I would enjoy Lovely War? I've waffled for AGES on that one. My reasons for wanting to read it are that I love the sound of the framing device, and isn't part of it WWI? But also, see, it's WWII (as a general rule, I really dislike WWII fiction and don't read it, though there are obviously exceptions, including some of the books in your post), and it not just includes, but is about, not just one, not just two, but three romances. So. I can never decide.

    I would love it if you did a nonfiction version of this as well. I'm far more down for WWII nonfiction than fiction, I think. Really I just want to know All the History, so good book recommendations never come amiss. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and as far as WWII fiction recs go, have you read any Alistair Maclean? Like "The Guns of Navarone" or "Where Eagles Dare"?
      Also would recommend Helen MacInnes's "While Still We Live" - has double agents, guerilla warfare, and family life in Poland. I like her book "Horizon" too (better, in fact), but I know you love Poland, so yeah. :D

      Delete
    2. Oh good, I remembered correctly! It's such a wonderful scene, with such amazing imagery.

      I really don't remember what all of my opinions are on that book? XD Which is why I'm planning on reading it again, because I must know. I like Stephanie Morrill's other work enough to try it again. We'll see. But Taichi really was wonderful. I love that gentleness and willingness to forgive is a repeated theme among the Japanese-Americans you know! I don't actually know that I know any Japanese-Americans? (Though I know several Korean-Americans), so I've never really experienced that. Interesting...and yes, very admirable.

      I hadn't, either! I haven't read many home front stories, but I think if I made the acquaintance of more, I would come to love them more. Just cuz, like, the fear and uncertainty and all that bring out interesting parts of people. But anyway, yes, you do need to read The Chosen!

      Hummmmmm well, you tend not to like romances, yes? So, you might not like it as much. But on the other hand, as far as I remember, the romances are rather slow burn and not entirely the most active part of the plot at all times? So, I wouldn't call the book a romance novel or anything? And also, I think you would like James. And Megan likes what's-his-face the other male protagonist, so there are two likeable men involved. And the third romance really isn't that prominent, also, and the framing device is incredible enough that you might forgive it the romance involved. I do hesitate in memory on whether it's present tense? I can't remember, but I feel like maybe the framing device, at least, is? So, check that, for sure. Why do you dislike WWII fiction? That might have an effect on whether or not you'd like it...
      So, anyways. I'm unsure, too. XD

      I've added a nonfiction version of this post to my possible-future-posts list! I do think that would be great fun, and I've read a not-inconsequential amount of WWII nonfiction (especially if you include memoirs...*rubs hands together*).

      I haven't read any Alistair Maclean...but his books look really good! I'll keep all the titles you mentioned in mind...

      Delete
    3. The only other book I've read of Stephanie Morrill's is The Lost Girl of Astor Street, which I liked much better (there are things I loved about it a lot), but I didn't like how the heroine felt (to me) like a modern girl transplanted into the 1920s (a common affliction among heroines in historical fiction, especially YA historical fiction, but no less galling to me for that). I like a lot about Stephanie Morrill's writing but have yet to read a book of hers that I just fall in love with, ya know? (Also I met her once and it was an incredibly, incredibly painfully awkward interaction, so also now when I see her name I cringe. Lol.) You're kind of making me want to reread Astor Street now, for some reason.

      Ahaha. Yes. You have summed up exactly why I'm so hesitant about Lovely War and not helped me make my decision at all. Thanks, Sam. XD I will definitely check if it's present tense, because that might tip the scales. And honestly I don't know why I dislike WWII fiction? I've thought about it and never come to a good conclusion. I know I dislike too-intense stories (Holocaust and concentration camp stories are a no-go), but mostly I think I just read a lot of bad WWII fiction as a kid and it burned me (like how I will avoid "medieval fantasy" at all costs because I read so much poor-quality of that as a kid, even though there is good medieval fantasy in the world). Also there's such an oversaturation of WWII lit in the world and I am just tired. It's not the most interesting war to me. Not that there can't be interesting books written about it, but...so many other wars are so much more interesting to me, and it has to really rise above the pack to grab me, I guess, over my tiredness and my burnedness and my general dislike of books that are too dark (because WWII was, after all, a very dark war)? Maybe?

      Delete
    4. I also enjoyed Lost Girl of Astor Street! But you have an excellent point about the transplant syndrome...definitely present, from what I can remember. (Okay, I feel like I need the story of your awkward & painful interaction with her? Even if you don't want to tell it. XD)

      I'm sorry! It's hard to gauge whether you'll like something or not, especially when the factors are as balanced as they are.
      Well, a dislike of too-intense stories would definitely put a lot of WWII fiction out, so that makes sense. And the genre is definitely popular enough that there are manymanymany bad examples, so I can understand that, too. All of that makes sense...and finding other wars more interesting is totally valid!

      Delete
    5. (It's not that interesting. I just...was basically like "how do you do the historical research tho" and she was like "well google is helpful" and I was like "but when I use google i don't find the stuff i'm looking for and it gets very frustrating" and she said something else that I don't remember and we stared at each other for a while and didn't smile and it was SO. AWKWARD.)

      yeah. I try to keep track of people's preferences to a certain extent--at least if they're my friends--because I want to know what to recommend to them, but even then you just never know what tips the scales for people. People usually have lackluster reactions to my VERY favorite books (and music, actually), even if we enjoy the same stuff generally, so I'm just very confused all the time about what people will and won't like. XD
      I guess one day I will either read Lovely War or not and if I do I'll know and if I don't I'll never know and my life will not be the poorer for it. :P

      Delete
    6. (That does sound really super awkward, and I'm sorry it happened.)

      That is true! And sometimes it's the really little things that make someone like or dislike a book, so it can be a toss-up. And now I'm curious which books people have a lackluster reaction to...but if you feel like this comment thread is too long already, you don't have to answer that. XD

      Well, if you ever do read it, I'd of course be curious to hear what you think!

      Delete
    7. This comment thread is in fact very long, but I shall unabashedly add yet more to its length. XD

      It's so true about the little things. I mean, I do it too, so I can't blame other people for being difficult about it all, even if it does make it hard to guess what people will like.

      Okay, so the biggest one that people have lackluster reactions to is The Thief, which frustrates me to NO END, you don't even know. Do you have that experience, since you also love MWT? Definitely in second place, though, is The Eagle of the Ninth, which I love SO MUCH, and the reaction of "it was okay. pretty good, even. a little boring, though. 3 stars!" drives me crazy. But MWT and Rosemary Sutcliff have such similarities I've come to accept it as inevitable that people will be unimpressed by both even though they're both SO IMPRESSIVE.
      People also don't tend to love the Little Britches books as much as I do, but that may be because they always read Little Britches first? The Home Ranch is the one I first read and fell in love with, and I still think it's the best...
      People also often have lackluster reactions to 100 Cupboards, and the most common reaction to The Unknown Ajax is "oh yeah, it was fun but a little boring, not Heyer's best." (And....I guess it makes me sad and frustrated that people don't love Spindle? Though this is a newer love. It does not feel like a Howl's Moving Castle ripoff to me AT ALL. Or like a not-as-good HMC. I like it better, actually. Liking HMC better is also valid, but it makes me sad when people see one as clearly inferior?)
      Those are my FAVORITE books that people have lackluster reactions to, as in the ones where it bothers and confuses me. :P At least that I can think of. Hopefully that was interesting, since it was undoubtedly long. XD

      Delete
    8. I am slightly embarrassed how long it took me to respond to this comment buuuuuut here we are.

      Okay, you're so right about everything! XD People totally have lackluster reactions to The Thief, which is really frustrating, but also that's kind of how I was the first time? I REALLY fell in love with it with QoA, and then went back and read The Thief and LOVED it, but the first time I read it it didn't make a whole lot of an impression.
      I'm afraid that I fall into that with Eagle of the Ninth, though. It was good, I enjoyed it, probably gave it four stars, but...it's never going to be one of my favorites. Which is weird, because I love MWT, so maybe I just need to read more Rosemary Sutcliff to learn how to enjoy her?
      Hehe, I also am one of the lackluster reactors to 100 Cupboards, BUT The Unknown Ajax is really fun! I enjoyed it immensely, which was perhaps influenced by the fact that it's one of my mom's favorites. It's maybe not my favorite Heyer ever, BUT it's just so fantastic with all of the playacting and hijinks.

      Okay, hold up, you like Spindle better than HMC???? SARAH. How dare you.

      Just kidding. You're perfectly entitled to that opinion! I've been feeling like I should reread Spindle, because my reaction to it the first time I read it was "this is really fun, but I have no idea what's happening" XD.

      That was interesting! I'm trying to figure out what the common thread through all of those books might be that make people have the lackluster reactions to them? And I haven't figured it out yet, but lemme know if you come up with anything...

      Delete
  6. I love historical fiction and the WWII time period! I thought Number the Stars was a good book. Have you by chance read The Fences Between Us - the Dear America diary of Piper Davis? I know it's technically a childrens book, but it is one of my favorites and set during WWII and centers around the Japanese and the camps they were sent to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yay, another kindred spirit! Number the Stars is indeed a Good Book. I actually have read The Fences Between Us! I think I either went through a phase of being curious about or was doing a project on the Japanese-American internment camps (honestly, as a homeschooler, a curious phase and a project are not that different XD). I don't remember it well, but I remember liking it at the time!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm so glad you are here and taking the time to comment. I love all comments, even ones on old posts! I just ask that you are respectful and keep the comments section clean. Thank you!